My new Dell W5001C - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 585 Old 11-10-2005, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
ok,

I just got the baby in the door last night... Holy moly... this thing is huge. I'm right in the middle of renovating my living room and it showed up just a smidge to early (like a week at least for how fast I'm moving). I ordered it on Oct 26th which is a pretty quick delivery as far as I'm concerned.

Anyway, I ripped (carefully followed instructions on removing ) the outer box off and have not been able to get a friend over to help me take it out of the lower box... so it's just sitting on the floor with the rapping pealed back so I could take a look see.

I momentarily hooked up the power to check for the buzz that has plagued the 42 owners, and I'm happy to report... no buzz ! I also hooked up my HTPC through component connections to just get a quick look see. So far so good. The HTPC definately needs to have it's resolution changed (running at 640x480 right now) but I figured, better to wait to play with all that later (like when I get it out of the box).

Now, I have to wait for the weekend to get a buddy over to help me get the damn thing completely out of the box and hooked up.

More to come later... and pics too!

Dude! I got a Dell.

RADIatiON
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 585 Old 11-11-2005, 12:08 AM

Quote:

Now, I have to wait for the weekend to get a buddy over to help me get the damn thing completely out of the box and hooked up.

After waiting to see who gets one first, you are going to make us wait all w/e to hear how it looks ...

I take off tomorrow for a week: hope to hear great things on my return!

...Mike
post #3 of 585 Old 11-12-2005, 06:04 AM - Thread Starter

OK.

Finally got it out of the box and hooked up. W.O.W.

I'm not used to something this large so that might be affecting my judgement... but wow.

I immediately went in and started lowering the brightness and contrast, partially for break-in but also because they looked like they were set way to high. I plugged in my satellite to the s-video connection and my HTPC to the VGA input.

Once I played around with my HTPC for a while (powerstrip etc.) I finally got a good resolution pumping out to the Dell (1360x768). I literally sat back, jaw on my lap, eyes the size of dinner plates... and just stared at the screen. I couldn't believe how great it looked. Again, this is just a bias thing... I'm used to looking at my HTPC hooked up to a 27" HD CRT... overscan... can't see everything blah blah blah. But with the Dell I can see and read everything. Even sitting back on my couch, which is about 11 feet away from the screen, I could read text and icons.

OK. So, my initial shock aside, I am very pleased so far with the results. SD coming from my satellite box (I don't have HD... but will be getting it in the next couple of months) was not as bad as I was prepared for. Don't get me wrong though... you can definately see issues with the signal, but sitting back on the couch it wasn't all that bad. The input from the HTPC was amazing. I've never seen a DVD look that good. I can definately tell I need to find the Avia disk to set some colors etc. as I am seeing some bloooming (I think that's the term... looks like a cloud) but it seems confined mainly in dark areas which I'm attributing to the fact that I have things cranked down for the break-in.

As far as the physical unit is concerned, everything seems solid and well put together (as expected). I wish I would have known what the dimensions were on the stand as I passed up a free "temporary" table to put it on as I thought it would not have been wide enough. The stand measures 35.5" wide and 12" deep (at it's deepest point). Also, for some reason I thought the unit was completely black, but it actually has a silver outer bezel. That's no problem, but just in case someone else gets confused like I did.

More later... gotta go get that last golf game of the year in

Some pics... batteries died in the camera... more live shots later.

RADIatiON
post #4 of 585 Old 11-14-2005, 11:15 AM
E39

Hey RADIatiON,

Did you have a chance to run it through its paces yet? Any further comments will be much appreciated. Mines due here in a couple of weeks.
post #5 of 585 Old 11-14-2005, 11:26 AM

I'm really curious here .. trying to understand why you would buy the Dell ? There are 0 reviews on, and past history says it will be decent at best (compared to other options) and on top of that it costs more then top rated Panasonic units.

Dell usually wins because of price, but this is not the case here, they are actually more expensive then the competition, and have an unproven product. Unless you need the exact dimensions/cable locations as mentioned by one person I can't fathom why one would buy the Dell ?
post #6 of 585 Old 11-14-2005, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by E39 View Post

Hey RADIatiON,

Did you have a chance to run it through its paces yet? Any further comments will be much appreciated. Mines due here in a couple of weeks.

Hey E39, I haven't really had a chance to run it through it's paces yet, no more really to report yet other than what's listed above.

A friend came over and helped me mount the set on the wall. It looks really nice there but I still have to un-mount it, paint the wall, run the cables though etc. Plus I'm trying to give it a chance to settle in before I calibrate it up using Avia (still have to find the disc. It's packed away in a box somewhere right now... man renovations are messy).

Quote:
Originally Posted by riekl View Post

Dell usually wins because of price, but this is not the case here, they are actually more expensive then the competition, and have an unproven product.

Well riekl, that's actually not true in this case. I bought it when it was on sale and got the same size panel with all the connections I needed, and the built in tuners, and the speakers (which I may or may not use), and a table stand all for quite a bit less than what the commecial panny would have totaled. Plus I would have had to buy a connection slot or two which would have added to the panny's cost.

Also I deal with Dell all the time for work so I have a relationship with the company as opposed to forming a new one with a panny dealer.

My decision was based on the feedback and reports from the 42" users and how that panel matched up. I don't expect the 50" will come out with the same mistakes the 42" has (buzzing, HDMI connection problem etc.) so I figured it was a pretty safe bet.

I hope that answers your question.

RADIatiON
post #7 of 585 Old 11-14-2005, 08:34 PM

Does the 50" dell plasma have fans, or is this the new fanless design i read about earlier in a press release?
post #8 of 585 Old 11-14-2005, 11:09 PM
E39

Quote:

I'm really curious here .. trying to understand why you would buy the Dell ? There are 0 reviews on, and past history says it will be decent at best (compared to other options) and on top of that it costs more then top rated Panasonic units.

Dell usually wins because of price, but this is not the case here, they are actually more expensive then the competition, and have an unproven product. Unless you need the exact dimensions/cable locations as mentioned by one person I can't fathom why one would buy the Dell ?

I'm not too sure when, but I suppose it has been relatively recent, a new phenomenom has sprung up out of nowhere. Pretty crazy stuff if you ask me, but if you click this and read number six, it should explain it.

Couple that with a suitable antonym for this word in regards to returns.

Seems like a no-brainer to me, but what do I know. I ate copious amounts of lead paint when I was a child.
post #9 of 585 Old 11-15-2005, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E39 View Post

I'm not too sure when, but I suppose it has been relatively recent, a new phenomenom has sprung up out of nowhere. Pretty crazy stuff if you ask me, but if you click this and read number six, it should explain it.

Couple that with a suitable antonym for this word in regards to returns.

Seems like a no-brainer to me, but what do I know. I ate copious amounts of lead paint when I was a child.

lolol

yea im curious to hear more too -
post #10 of 585 Old 11-15-2005, 12:50 AM

RADIatiON

Where did it ship from?
post #11 of 585 Old 11-15-2005, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RADIatiON View Post

Well riekl, that's actually not true in this case. I bought it when it was on sale and got the same size panel with all the connections I needed, and the built in tuners, and the speakers (which I may or may not use), and a table stand all for quite a bit less than what the commecial panny would have totaled. Plus I would have had to buy a connection slot or two which would have added to the panny's cost.

Also I deal with Dell all the time for work so I have a relationship with the company as opposed to forming a new one with a panny dealer.

My decision was based on the feedback and reports from the 42" users and how that panel matched up. I don't expect the 50" will come out with the same mistakes the 42" has (buzzing, HDMI connection problem etc.) so I figured it was a pretty safe bet.

I hope that answers your question.

? What matchup were you reading ? There is no matchup anywhere that I have read that compares the Dell's (42") PQ favorably to the Panny. To each their own but to me at least PQ is #1, arrange then by cost to get a value rating.

I wish you luck with your new set .. I still find it baffling that you would spend this much money on a set which no one anywhere had really reviewed when there are sets that are rated 9/10+ by everyone who reviews them in the same price category.
post #12 of 585 Old 11-15-2005, 04:54 AM
AVS Special Member

I find it baffling that you would have the gall to rain on one mans parade. He loves his tv, he has connections with dell, why do you have to treat him so poorly?
post #13 of 585 Old 11-15-2005, 05:28 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for that mattburk. I don't think riekl is really trying to rain on my parade... I think it's just sounding that way... but in any case I'm treating it that he is just trying to understand my thought process.
Quote:

? What matchup were you reading ? There is no matchup anywhere that I have read that compares the Dell's (42") PQ favorably to the Panny.

I wasn't talking about a matchup comparing the two. What I said was I based it on owners of the 42" and how it matched up for them... or to maybe say it better... how they found their 42", problems they had with their 42", their perceived picture quality etc.
And thank you for wishing me luck! I wish you luck with your new Panny and I have no doubt you made a good choice... especially based on your criteria which you explained in your thread.

Kriscad... according to my packing document it shipped out of a Dell location in North York Ontario... don't know where it came from before that.

roblim... I haven't heard any fans, nor have I seen any while peering in the back grille of the unit. They could be there, but I haven't seen or heard them... so let's go with "it's fanless"

RADIatiON
post #14 of 585 Old 11-15-2005, 05:59 PM
E39

This is taken from one of the spec pages for the display. Sounds like fanless to me.

"Plasma TVs require more power than traditional CRT TVs to generate bright, vibrant images. Dell plasma TVs have been designed to dissipate the heat generated from the additional power requirements in the quietest manner possible with the thinnest chassis, utilizing a fan-less design. You may notice hot spots on the rear chassis cover as the convective cooling is venting this heat. This is normal and proper operation of the TV."
post #15 of 585 Old 11-15-2005, 08:18 PM

Is that some type of Windows Media Center that you are playing on this TV? More info on that please
post #16 of 585 Old 11-15-2005, 09:13 PM

Reikl asked a valid question, (maybe could have phrased it a little more politely). I think there many good reasons. I don't think everybody is looking for the very bottom dollar and the absolute best PQ rating every time. Asthetics, features, inputs, warrantee, company reputation, convenience and of course in this case business relationships all come into play. I have always payed a little more than bottom dollar for my equipment, so that I can deal with someone I like and have confidence that they will take care of me if there is a problem with the device. Personally, I tend to like the small time family run AV dealers best. My time is valuable and screwing around with some punk at BB is not worth the few dollars savings to me. If you have to be on the bleeding edge and your time is valuable, I think Dell is a good play, conveniently delivered to your door, good return policy (pick up at your door), on top of that he's got other business he can use for leverage, seems low risk to me.

Sometimes bad experiences have an influence on my purchase decisions. There has been some Sony equipment that I really wanted to purchase, perfect match for my needs at the lowest cost, but I just could not bring myself to do business with them because of their involvement with the music industry's lawsuits against children. So the bottom line is there are many many reasons beyond price and PQ and asking questions like that is why the forum is so full of good information.

Thanks very much for your posts Radiation. I am the guy referenced earlier that bought one based solely on it's physical dimensions to fit in a steel carriage and slide in and out of my fireplace on a lift. Sounds like with all the passive heat "radiation", it's a good thing it's going in my fireplace! My Dell 50" is due to arrive tomorrow afternoon.
Good thread.
post #17 of 585 Old 11-16-2005, 04:49 AM

Thanks for taking my post appropriate Radiation I was NOT trying to "rain on your parade" I was genuinely interested in how you came to pull the cord on a purchase of an unreviewed device when there are plenty of top notch options out there that are known to be good product.

I was also very sincere in wishing you luck with your new plasma I hope it works out great for you !
post #18 of 585 Old 11-16-2005, 01:39 PM

Have you calibrated it?

Please publish your settings. Trying to help a co-worker who just got one.
post #19 of 585 Old 11-16-2005, 08:31 PM

I quickly set mine up to make sure it wasn't broken in shipping after it was delivered this evening. I didn't hook it up to my sat reciever but just used the onboard OTA digital tuner. (I have the base off now, so I won't have any way to watch it again until I finish making new base anchors.)

The only thing quantitative I can say at this point is that the tuner pulls in a digital station that neither my hughes or samsung DTV/OTA tuners can get.

On the subjective side the picture appears excellent on 1080i, as good as anything thing I have looked at in the last couple of weeks, (could not find anyone doing 720p at the time I had it on), scaled 480i and 480p hmmmm think I have seen better but I can barely stand to look at scaled material anyway.

Two channel sound was very good for factory speakers, I watched a bit of the Johny Cash concert. I was not planning on keeping the speakers but now I think I will. They also look pretty cool on their stands.

I found the user interface/menus pretty good, simple and logical, didn't need to open the manual.

A few nit picky things:

The remote was a little weak, didn't always take when I was more than 12'-15' away at a bit of an angle. Not easy to navigate by feel, and channel/volume buttons didn't have good tactile feedback. No exit button on the remote to dump from the menu, have to navigate to a "back" or "exit" selection on the screen.

I found the volume button a bit tedious. You have to hold the botton on the remote down an unusually long time to make a material change in volume. (possibly the batteries are just old).

Bottom line (at least preliminarily) I would say the unit exceeded my expectations, particularly with PQ. It came with 3 or 4 factory picture presets. I will probably live with one of those and not mess with any calibration or other obsessive/compulsive behaviors. Been there, done that, with my projector many times, but consider myself cured now.
post #20 of 585 Old 11-17-2005, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimfitz View Post

Is that some type of Windows Media Center that you are playing on this TV? More info on that please

Yes. It's called Meedio and you can find it here. It's a great program, and now that I have finally got it outputting in the high res. man does it look nice.
Quote:

I was also very sincere in wishing you luck with your new plasma I hope it works out great for you !

Thank you! I was sincere also. I know you must have been having the "buyers remorse" type thing (just like I was having) whenever we make a big purchase decision... especially since the Dell was an option for you... but... I have no doubt you won't regret your purchase. pssst... we're past the hard part now... time to enjoy the damn things. Well ok, the credit card bill is still coming (the post office probably can't find a fork lift in the area to drop it off for me)
Quote:
Originally Posted by algaray View Post

Have you calibrated it?
Please publish your settings. Trying to help a co-worker who just got one.

I've calibrated up the VGA connection as in as much as I've tried. I must admit I'm having a hard time doing it to. Using the Avia disk and playing with the brightness/contrast I find it's too "bright" when I set it to what the disc tests suggest. Also, the VGA connection does not have all the settings available to tweak with. No color etc. other than a couple presets of "Natural, Normal, Blue, Red". I'm currently using the Natural and Brightness is 40 and Contrast is 42.

Davivers! Congrats! Can't wait to see a pic of your handy work.
I have to agree with you on the remote. The thing is a little long... and I don't like the feel of it either. But I do like the blue light that illuminates all the buttons once you press one thing. Also... try just pushing the "menu" button again to exit. I have found that to work.

I've been sick for the last two days and been lying on the couch watching TV. The TV's actually been on for 39 hours straight right now. I must say I've been enjoying it and don't really have anything to complain about... but...

I have noticed that the black or shadowy areas sometimes have a very tough time with detail. I get that "cloudy" or "bloomy" effect. Is this something due to the size of the unit compared to my ol 27" or the feed? I've noticed it a lot more while I am watching divx'd versions of TV shows like CSI:Miami and the like. This is why I think it may be a source/screen size issue. But, I've also noticed the reverse of this when there is a bright point and then darkness all around, like the scene from Finding Nemo where they meet that angler fish. There is some blooming around it as it trys to step down in "light".

It is something that I can live with. I also have noticed it was a lot worse before I started tweaking with the Avis disk. BTW... how do I tweak a connection from my sat. box... by eye?

So... those of you with other pdp's please chime in if this is "normal" and davivers and E39 let me know what you find.

RADIatiON
post #21 of 585 Old 11-18-2005, 10:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RADIatiON View Post

Yes. It's called Meedio and you can find it here. It's a great program, and now that I have finally got it outputting in the high res. man does it look nice. Thank you! I was sincere also. I know you must have been having the "buyers remorse" type thing (just like I was having) whenever we make a big purchase decision... especially since the Dell was an option for you... but... I have no doubt you won't regret your purchase. pssst... we're past the hard part now... time to enjoy the damn things. Well ok, the credit card bill is still coming (the post office probably can't find a fork lift in the area to drop it off for me)
I've calibrated up the VGA connection as in as much as I've tried. I must admit I'm having a hard time doing it to. Using the Avia disk and playing with the brightness/contrast I find it's too "bright" when I set it to what the disc tests suggest. Also, the VGA connection does not have all the settings available to tweak with. No color etc. other than a couple presets of "Natural, Normal, Blue, Red". I'm currently using the Natural and Brightness is 40 and Contrast is 42.

Davivers! Congrats! Can't wait to see a pic of your handy work.
I have to agree with you on the remote. The thing is a little long... and I don't like the feel of it either. But I do like the blue light that illuminates all the buttons once you press one thing. Also... try just pushing the "menu" button again to exit. I have found that to work.

I've been sick for the last two days and been lying on the couch watching TV. The TV's actually been on for 39 hours straight right now. I must say I've been enjoying it and don't really have anything to complain about... but...

I have noticed that the black or shadowy areas sometimes have a very tough time with detail. I get that "cloudy" or "bloomy" effect. Is this something due to the size of the unit compared to my ol 27" or the feed? I've noticed it a lot more while I am watching divx'd versions of TV shows like CSI:Miami and the like. This is why I think it may be a source/screen size issue. But, I've also noticed the reverse of this when there is a bright point and then darkness all around, like the scene from Finding Nemo where they meet that angler fish. There is some blooming around it as it trys to step down in "light".

It is something that I can live with. I also have noticed it was a lot worse before I started tweaking with the Avis disk. BTW... how do I tweak a connection from my sat. box... by eye?

So... those of you with other pdp's please chime in if this is "normal" and davivers and E39 let me know what you find.

The detail problem is due to the s-video connection, use component it should improve. You need at least a component connection in this TV on HD and DVD sources.
post #22 of 585 Old 11-20-2005, 06:11 PM

Got the plasma mounted in its new frame, and temporarily wired so it will lift itself into the fireplace opening. See photos.

Getting it mounted took the whole weekend so I only had a chance to start playing with it again for a couple of hours. But I got the remote working much better. Better correlation with clicking feel of the button and it actually doing something.
LL
LL
LL
post #23 of 585 Old 11-20-2005, 06:19 PM

I should probably mention that the exposed steel frame shown in the photos will eventually get covered with millwork to match the fireplace woodwork.
post #24 of 585 Old 11-20-2005, 06:40 PM

davivers--

That is an incredibly cool set up. Very slick. Congrats. Oh, and the picture on the set looks pretty good, too.

So, does the TV go down below floor level on the tracks? What do you see behind it when it is not being watched?

Take care,
Rich
post #25 of 585 Old 11-20-2005, 08:34 PM

The foundation wall juts out below the fireplace so the rails, carriage, screw drive and counterweight system all partially set back in that recess. The Dell 50" plasma rides the carriage and slips right in front marble face and glass doors of the fireplace. The face of the fireplace is recessed far enough that when the plasma is in the up position it is about flush with the oak columns and mantel and thus looks built in. When the unit is down it just looks like a normal fireplace, and eventually I will have it so the plasma can be viewed in the basement, but that room is not finished yet, so maybe in a couple of years.

I used the fastest and quietest garage door screw drive I could find so it really pops up and down. Kind of like Star Trek turned on it's side.

I still have a lot to do, primarily the woodworking and a lot of wiring.
post #26 of 585 Old 11-20-2005, 09:02 PM

That looks F***** awesome. Great work on that. Can't wait to see the finished product. Wish I had that done in my house lol
post #27 of 585 Old 11-21-2005, 12:54 PM
bm5

Hi there.

I just want to confirm the Dell W5001C has a VGA input. I originally crossed it off my list because the dell site doesn't show the W5001C has having PC inputs.

thanks!
post #28 of 585 Old 11-21-2005, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter

davivers... that has got to be the coolest thing I have ever seen. Do you work for British Intelligence or something? Straight outta Jame Bond that is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bm5 View Post

I just want to confirm the Dell W5001C has a VGA input. I originally crossed it off my list because the dell site doesn't show the W5001C has having PC inputs.

Yup... it has a VGA connection. You have to look for the "tech specs" on the site, or download the product manual.

I have some more pics. Sorry they aren't any better. Having a real tough time keeping the camera steady and it's too dark now to take pics without the flash... but some of you might like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipcrkr View Post

The detail problem is due to the s-video connection, use component it should improve. You need at least a component connection in this TV on HD and DVD sources.

Thanks for that, but I was talking about through my VGA connection. I've since adjusted the brightness and contrast a bit more and things seem better now. I should probably also update my video card drivers and such... or switch to a DVI->HDMI cable.

RADIatiON
post #29 of 585 Old 11-21-2005, 08:13 PM

Thanks so much. Here is a photo of what is behind the plasma. I took this picture right after cutting out the slot in the marble tile hearth using a rotozip. (oh boy, you should have seen the wifes face when she saw this hole, I should have got a picture of that too).

I have taken pictures all along the way, probably when I am finished I will post the best ones in the photo gallery section of the forum.
LL
post #30 of 585 Old 11-22-2005, 05:49 PM

i ordered the panny 50px50u but the delivery date is at the end of Dec. I am seriously considering canceling that order and ordering the Dell. i would be interested in hearing comments on the black levels and the HD PQ with the Dell.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page