It's official. I see a rainbow-like effect on every plasma. - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 883 Old 12-07-2008, 09:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm one of the unfortunate who can see the trails. Call of Duty 4 and Fallout three are two titles that really exhibit it the most. And now, unfortunately, I'm able to spot it in most TV and movies. I'm really trying to train my eyes to ignore the green ghosting because the 50pz85u is a great set otherwise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 883 Old 12-22-2008, 07:07 PM

Liked: 10
Posting to say that I notice the rainbow trail effect on my (now gone) Vizio 32 inch plasma, and the blur on LCDs makes LCDs worthless to me for anything that isn't 24 or ~30 fps (LCD also OK for web-browsing). Thus I am sticking with CRT (old CRT monitor and SD CRT TVs - I notice the refresh below 85 hz, but my monitor is able to output 85 hz). If I do not notice any motion problems with OLED, I am going to buy one once OLED becomes ~$1000 for 32 inch. Hopefully OLED will be the proper successor to CRT.
post #723 of 883 Old 01-14-2009, 01:48 PM

It was mentioned that if you look through a polarized camera filter the effect is less noticeable. So I tried putting on my polarized sunglasses et voila! it was indeed much better. In that respect anyway, because it's not ideal to watch movies with sunglasses. So, now I'm considering getting a pair of normal eye glasses (not sunglasses) with just an enhanced polarization filter (no other prescription - I don't wear glasses otherwise) to have just for watching movies. I know it sounds too much but if it means getting rid of the problem, I would totally do it.
So my questions are: has someone tried it? And is there a High Street shop/pharmacy where I could buy such glasses (with a good return policy to return if they don't work for my purpose)?
post #724 of 883 Old 01-15-2009, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboris77 View Post

Fascinating discussion...

This is where it gets interesting - while comparing various plasmas today in a store, I am pretty sure that the 720p sets seemed to have significantly lesser amount of phospor lag than their 1080p counterparts. Keep in mind, the plasma that I returned earlier this year was a 1080p set. Could it be that 720p plasma panels are better optimized since they have been around longer? I know that it is very difficult to be objective under horrible lighting conditions that most stores have, but that's what it looked like to me.

This is exactly what I've been wondering. Do 720p sets have less phosphor trails than the 1080p? I seem to remember noticing that when I was watching a px80u and a pz85u right right next to each other at Best Buy.

I've been thinking about returning my 50" 720p to get a 1080p for blu-ray movies and reading pc text , but I wonder if the trails will be worse, most importantly for games like Fallout 3 and GTA4. I just got the set and the trails aren't *too* bad, a little annoying.

I also wonder if the trails on a 1080p will go away within the first few 100 hours. If that's the case I'd probably do the upgrade.

Does anyone know if the new sets coming out next month will have less green ghosting?
post #725 of 883 Old 01-15-2009, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey01 View Post

Does anyone know if the new sets coming out next month will have less green ghosting?

Panasonic is claiming full 1080p motion resolution on their new plasma sets coming out (up from 900 on their current models) so there is hope that they have fixed it in the coming models. (I'll be checking this when I pick one up when they come out)

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #726 of 883 Old 01-15-2009, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

Panasonic is claiming full 1080p motion resolution on their new plasma sets coming out (up from 900 on their current models) so there is hope that they have fixed it in the coming models. (I'll be checking this when I pick one up when they come out)

There is a quote from panasonic that states there is new phosphor and less afterglow in the NeoPDP (not sure if it was NeoPDPeco only) that contributes to the increased motion resolution.

It may be coincidental but Panasonic also has a patent on new fast green phosphors on the uspto.gov site. The patent was applied for the same time that 5-lumen tech patent was applied for.

Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind
post #727 of 883 Old 01-15-2009, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrox View Post

There is a quote from panasonic that states there is new phosphor and less afterglow in the NeoPDP (not sure if it was NeoPDPeco only) that contributes to the increased motion resolution.

It may be coincidental but Panasonic also has a patent on new fast green phosphors on the uspto.gov site. The patent was applied for the same time that 5-lumen tech patent was applied for.

Then there is a good chance that the upcoming sets will be a big improvment in this area, I'll be getting either the S or G as soon as they come out (haven't decided which one I will get just yet, it depends on the price and calibration options that the S series has) and you can bet that this is one of the first things that I will be testing after getting it set up. Now if only there was a set date and price for these.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #728 of 883 Old 01-15-2009, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Then there is a good chance that the upcoming sets will be a big improvment in this area, I'll be getting either the S or G as soon as they come out (haven't decided which one I will get just yet, it depends on the price and calibration options that the S series has) and you can bet that this is one of the first things that I will be testing after getting it set up. Now if only there was a set date and price for these.

Here is the quote from the panasonic site:

"The newly developed NeoPDP technology has been incorporated into two types of PDPs. The first is a super high-efficiency 42-inch PDP that achieves triple luminance efficiency, while reducing the power consumption to 1/3 of the 2007 models*1 yet achieving the same brightness. The second is an ultra-thin 50-inch PDP just 8.8 mm (approximately 1/3 inch) in profile*2. This ultra-thin panel delivers the world's highest moving picture resolution*3 of 1080 lines.

Panasonic continues to refine its base technologies. Employing newly developed materials, such as discharge gas and phosphor for electron generation source has improved discharge efficiency and cell structure. The introduction of a new circuit drive method has cut the electricity loss to one third and enabled low-voltage drive. The triple luminance efficiency technology has reduced the number of components and enabled a higher integration of components. As a result, the technology has been incorporated into a 42-inch Full HD PDP.

Further advancements made to the panel structure and circuit layout have lead to an even thinner profile. While a full HD PDP has a moving picture resolution of more than 900 lines, the newly developed drive technology and materials to shorten the afterglow have attained the world's highest moving resolution of 1080 lines, realizing precise reproduction of full HD programs of any speed without loss of detail. Panasonic's new 50-inch HD PDP is just 8.8mm (approximately 1/3 inch) deep, with superb picture quality and thin panel design. "

post #729 of 883 Old 01-15-2009, 09:45 AM

post #730 of 883 Old 02-03-2009, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wojtek View Post

I noticed I see much fewer flashes when I put circular polarized filters from my cameras in front of my eyes when watching high contrast material.

Don't know why, perhaps because of less contrast. So now I am considering getting light gray polarized prescription eyeglasses to watch movies on my plasma - seriously.

Hi,
It's been ages since your post but did you end up doing this? Because I'm considering the same.
post #731 of 883 Old 02-03-2009, 04:12 AM

I took a video with my camera at 60fps of my panasonic plasma 46PZ80B (UK model) playing Sin City on Blu-ray. I then extracted a series of frames from the video and uloaded them here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3073388...416581/detail/

You can clearly see the color separation and the changing color tone of the white background, which gives a hint to the color flashes (if the eye perceives more than 60fps). Mind you, the camera was on a tripod, so everything recorded was not due to position/light change.
post #732 of 883 Old 02-06-2009, 05:46 PM

Quote:

I found a video of the G10 series at CES which seems to have been taken with a camera set to a low exposure time and as such shows noticeable flicker on the displays.

http://cnettv.cnet.com/2001-1_53-50004980.html

Watching this video there are clearly instances where the trails appear. However, compared to other similar videos of previous generation plasmas they are infrequent and only appear when objects move extremely fast. Even when they do appear they are only noticeable for one frame, possibly due to the video frame being taken when the plasma is in between frames. Additionally, cameras exaggerate the trails quite a bit as does having the contrast on the TV cranked to the max (which these display models likely were) so the fact that they are infrequent and hard to spot on a high speed video bodes well for the NeoPDP displays in actual viewing.
post #733 of 883 Old 02-06-2009, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMBNT42 View Post

Lay off the nitrous oxide ballons and acid hits when your trying to suck a twinkie through your 4 footer and I'm sure your vision issues watching TV will disappear.

You just responded to a post from three months ago and a member who hasn't posted anything here in just over two months...are you taking hits as well?
post #734 of 883 Old 02-06-2009, 06:55 PM

Quote:

I understood the post was old, still wanted to add to it regardless.

I know...notice the . I was just giving you a hard time.
post #735 of 883 Old 02-06-2009, 09:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrcorwin View Post

You just responded to a post from three months ago

Well it would be just amusing if was three months rather than from 2005.
post #736 of 883 Old 02-06-2009, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom View Post

Well it would be just amusing if was three months rather than from 2005.

Holy crap...you're right. I completely missed the year. Oops...but wow.
post #737 of 883 Old 02-06-2009, 10:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

I understood the post was old, still wanted to add to it regardless.

Oh I see, you have bad vision & can not see them. Understandable.
post #738 of 883 Old 06-10-2009, 05:14 PM

just got a Kuro 500-M and i see rainbows. I am see them in all DLP but never on a LCOS so I am surprised I see them in a plasma. Doesn't bug me, I see them in bright light scenes
post #739 of 883 Old 07-01-2009, 04:32 PM
Advanced Member

On my Kuro I see rainbows in areas of high contrast. So if a guy is wearing a white shirt and a black jacket I see it when the black and white meet.
post #740 of 883 Old 07-20-2009, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

I can confirm that Panasonic has greatly improved the green phosphor trails with their new models.

I have a Panasonic 54g10 and it has the least amount of green phosphor trailing of any Plasma set that I have ever seen, it is even better than the Kuro. So if you have major problems with these trails, give the new Panasonic's a shot as they are greatly improved over previous models.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #741 of 883 Old 07-20-2009, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Journal of Luminescence
Volume 129, Issue 9, September 2009, Pages 1088-1093

Material Laboratory, Corporate R&D Center, Samsung SDI

Fast-decaying phosphors are essential for a 3D plasma display panel (PDP) with high image quality. However, conventional green and red PDP phosphors have slow-decaying characteristics. We present the luminescence properties of new phosphors for 3D PDP application. Decay times of Y3Al5O12:Ce3+, (Y,Gd)Al3(BO3)4:Tb3+, and (Y,Gd)2O3:Eu3+ were significantly shorter than those of conventional PDP phosphors. CIE chromaticity coordinates and luminescence efficiencies of the phosphors were also suitable for PDP application. The development of fast-decaying PDP phosphors has enabled commercialization of 3D/2D switchable PDP television for the first time in PDP industry.

post #742 of 883 Old 07-20-2009, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
It's good to see the positive news in this area. I'm glad PDP technology is still moving forward with regard to this artifact.
post #743 of 883 Old 07-20-2009, 04:54 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrox View Post

Journal of Luminescence
Volume 129, Issue 9, September 2009, Pages 1088-1093

Material Laboratory, Corporate R&D Center, Samsung SDI

Fast-decaying phosphors are essential for a 3D plasma display panel (PDP) with high image quality. However, conventional green and red PDP phosphors have slow-decaying characteristics. We present the luminescence properties of new phosphors for 3D PDP application. Decay times of Y3Al5O12:Ce3+, (Y,Gd)Al3(BO3)4:Tb3+, and (Y,Gd)2O3:Eu3+ were significantly shorter than those of conventional PDP phosphors. CIE chromaticity coordinates and luminescence efficiencies of the phosphors were also suitable for PDP application. The development of fast-decaying PDP phosphors has enabled commercialization of 3D/2D switchable PDP television for the first time in PDP industry.

Question to be answered: What is the wear characteristic? Trading trails for burn-in is not my idea of a good deal. I currently own two 9G Kuros and did own a 150 for a while. On those sets, I never saw a sign of IR, let along burn-in. The very occasional trail that I see (only on white scrolling text on a black background) is to me a more than acceptable tradeoff for industry-leading wear and IR characteristics.

Maybe the new Samsung phosphors are also excellent with regard to burn-in and IR issues. But I'll let some other consumer go first.
post #744 of 883 Old 07-20-2009, 05:08 PM

I have been searching for this Rainbow effect you speak of , I have found no evidence on my 500M plasma. Does this phenomenon occur by chance and is it a rare breed?

Awaiting the Reference Standard in Blu Ray REGION FREE Player Technology and EW service..............................still waiting. :)
post #745 of 883 Old 07-20-2009, 06:35 PM
Advanced Member

I think it has to do with individual's eyes. I can see plainbows very easily and it seems to only be getting worse. Although I looked at a B&W photo from a Bluray on 20 TVs and none of them were nearly as bad as what it looks like on my Kuro.
post #746 of 883 Old 07-20-2009, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjrgamer View Post

I have been searching for this Rainbow effect you speak of , I have found no evidence on my 500M plasma. Does this phenomenon occur by chance and is it a rare breed?

As mike said, it entirely depends on your eyes.
If you have not seen them then you are like most everyone else and they are not a problem.

If you want to see an example of what it looks like for the small percentage of people who can see then Here is an example:

I used the "video" feature on my cheap digital camera to record the video below of my Pro-151fd.
When I watch this scene directly on my TV, I can't see any phosphor trail whatsoever. none, ZIP, Zero.

but I can see them in this homemade video while watching it on my LCD computer monitor..
Somehow, recording my plasma with my cheap camera, and then playing the video is maginfying the issue to where i can see it..
But I have never caught a glimse of this while viewing anything directly on my plasma.
my eyes can't detect the different phosphor decay times, but my cheap video camera can.

Watch the ending of the video when it plays a scene from "pans labyrinth" and look at the green/yellowish trails as the monster waves his arms around.

Somehow, by me videotaping my TV and then playing it on my computer, it makes the phosphor trails visible.

just look:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Tr4sABQoJA

wierd huh?
post #747 of 883 Old 07-20-2009, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadmak09 View Post

As mike said, it entirely depends on your eyes.
If you have not seen them then you are like most everyone else and they are not a problem.

If you want to see an example of what it looks like for the small percentage of people who can see then Here is an example:

I used the "video" feature on my cheap digital camera to record the video below of my Pro-151fd.
When I watch this scene directly on my TV, I can't see any phosphor trail whatsoever. none, ZIP, Zero.

but I can see them in this homemade video while watching it on my LCD computer monitor..
Somehow, recording my plasma with my cheap camera, and then playing the video is maginfying the issue to where i can see it..
But I have never caught a glimse of this while viewing anything directly on my plasma.
my eyes can't detect the different phosphor decay times, but my cheap video camera can.

Watch the ending of the video when it plays a scene from "pans labyrinth" and look at the green/yellowish trails as the monster waves his arms around.

Somehow, by me videotaping my TV and then playing it on my computer, it makes the phosphor trails visible.

just look:

wierd huh?

Thanks, haven't seen any of that at all. I shall rent this Pan's Labyrinth movie and see if I can succeed in attaining this rainbow effect. It does look distracting in that video.

Awaiting the Reference Standard in Blu Ray REGION FREE Player Technology and EW service..............................still waiting. :)
post #748 of 883 Old 07-20-2009, 09:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjrgamer View Post

Thanks, haven't seen any of that at all. I shall rent this Pan's Labyrinth movie and see if I can succeed in attaining this rainbow effect. It does look distracting in that video.

chances are you wont see it.
most peoples eyes can't catch it like a camera can.
post #749 of 883 Old 07-20-2009, 09:20 PM

Quote:

chances are you wont see it.
most peoples eyes can't catch it like a camera can.

I shall then attempt to record it and pause/slow motion the rainbow effect if possible on my old sony video camera.

post #750 of 883 Old 11-30-2009, 03:17 AM

Quote:

just look:

wierd huh?

Thanks for that. Gave ya 5 stars and stuck a time link in there for you.

I've seen another youtube video, but the trails were of a white w/ yellow trails. I'm fairly light sensitive and tend to notice things a bit more than I should, so I'll check this flic out @ a friends. Thanks!
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page