It's official. I see a rainbow-like effect on every plasma. - Page 30 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #871 of 883 Old 12-30-2013, 07:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Also, just to get on the record with my problem; Owned a TH50-PV500 since 2006, never seen the flashes. Know about the effect from watching DLP projectors at friends.

Bought a P65VT60 December 3rd, had problems with the fan noise, which was fixed the 18th. After taking the unit in active operation the flashed started. First I had trouble understanding what was happening. Made an appointment with my doctor.....

While calibrating the unit I noticed the effect starts to be very noticeable on high contrast while moving your eyes/head.

- Take a big black dot on a white background.

- Shake your head.

I know you do not watch TV like this. But if I take my diet coke from the table (or at least when putting it down) I look away from the unit and back again. Feels like being photo flashed.

When watching with subtitles (that's just what our thing is in The Netherlands) just moving your eyes to them (even if you do not what to do it) starts the flashes.

Am in discussion with Panasonic as my set is only 3 weeks old, need to get some kind of arrangement. Unacceptable to have to put a 3000 euro unit in the attic.

Did some testing with the pictures at the store on various sets. Did not trigger it on any HD LCD/LED and on plasma Panasonic is the worst, but all (plasma) seem to have the problem nowadays.

Even if my set can be returned, what to do...? Love plasma, never even thought about buying a LED. Keep you posted on the response from Panasonic.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #872 of 883 Old 12-30-2013, 09:51 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonijn View Post

Also, just to get on the record with my problem; Owned a TH50-PV500 since 2006, never seen the flashes. Know about the effect from watching DLP projectors at friends.

Bought a P65VT60 December 3rd, had problems with the fan noise, which was fixed the 18th. After taking the unit in active operation the flashed started. First I had trouble understanding what was happening. Made an appointment with my doctor.....

While calibrating the unit I noticed the effect starts to be very noticeable on high contrast while moving your eyes/head.
- Take a big black dot on a white background.
- Shake your head.

I know you do not watch TV like this. But if I take my diet coke from the table (or at least when putting it down) I look away from the unit and back again. Feels like being photo flashed.

When watching with subtitles (that's just what our thing is in The Netherlands) just moving your eyes to them (even if you do not what to do it) starts the flashes.

Am in discussion with Panasonic as my set is only 3 weeks old, need to get some kind of arrangement. Unacceptable to have to put a 3000 euro unit in the attic.

Did some testing with the pictures at the store on various sets. Did not trigger it on any HD LCD/LED and on plasma Panasonic is the worst, but all (plasma) seem to have the problem nowadays.

Even if my set can be returned, what to do...? Love plasma, never even thought about buying a LED. Keep you posted on the response from Panasonic.

Yes, please do keep us posted! I'm curious what Panasonic has to say about this.
post #873 of 883 Old 12-30-2013, 01:14 PM

What are the chances of this problem being panel specific? Since I'm still within my 30 day return period, do you guys think it would be worth my time to attempt exchanging it for the same model?
post #874 of 883 Old 12-30-2013, 02:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by caiman View Post

What are the chances of this problem being panel specific? Since I'm still within my 30 day return period, do you guys think it would be worth my time to attempt exchanging it for the same model?

Nope.
post #875 of 883 Old 01-06-2014, 02:13 AM

Small update: Panasonic sent a service engineer (same one that put in the foam fix to reduce the whining airflow coming from the vents). He agreed to see the effect, but much less than I seem to 'experience' it.

Changed two boards, no results. Switched the power plug, no results. Reversed the power plug, no results.

Now the unit will be collected to be 'evaluated' by the tech support at the service center. This worries me a little as I will not be present to clearly describe how to test/what to look for.

Will post an update when there is more news.

post #876 of 883 Old 01-06-2014, 09:12 AM

Liked: 17
I was in the custom AV installation business when DLP first hit the market. When doing installs I seemed to be the nay one who noticed the rainbow effect. My boss also had a DLP setup at his home and we used to play games all the time on it (ahhh, remember the Dreamcast? Good times.) I was again the only one in the room that seemed bothered by the rainbows.

Fast forward to last month and I pick up my first plasma, a Panasonic 65zt60. Lo and behold I start to notice similar (but not as bad) rainbows as described in this thread. The good news is that over the last few weeks I have found that I hardly notice it. The human brain is remarkably adaptable and I figure between getting used to the set (My previous set was a direct view CRT) and perhaps the set also breaking in to a certain degree (I have about 160 hours on it so far.) the effect has all but disappeared.

So I can say, as someone who has proven sensitive to the rainbow effect, that the ZT60 does get better. Of course your mileage may vary.wink.gif

"Why we getting new washer?", my 3 yr old daughter Riley upon seeing our new FV15HP.
"He blowed up." Riley watching Looney Tunes.
post #877 of 883 Old 01-09-2014, 07:19 AM

I recently bought a 51" Samsung Plasma PN51F5300AFXZA (long live black friday) that I used the calibration from here to set up.

I too notice the RBE on it. I can force the effect by zig zagginging my eyes around the image, but I first noticed it when watching certain scenes and wasn't sure if that was what I was seeing. Its not always present.

When I don't notice it Plasma still hands down beets my LCD for color and dark scenes, so its a trade off since all I noticed on my LCD was how grey the blacks were so I guess it wasn't a distraction free viewing either.

**I've also noticed that up close the blacks aren't really black, I also see green and red pixels dancing about (Only when I'm right up at the screen, when I move back to my viewing distance of 10 feet they disappear ) I still have to check out diff source material, but I thought I'd give it a mention here.

I also own a DLP projector NEC NP40, the RBE is insane on this, I think this is meant for office applications, me and the guys use it with a portable screen for outdoor and extra room showings of the super bowl. From the second I turn it on if I dont fix my eyes to one spot on the screen, it over.

Cheers
post #878 of 883 Old 01-09-2014, 08:50 PM

Liked: 11
I've noticed this on both the VT60 and ZT60. I've owned plasmas for years and have never noticed this rainbow effect before. I currently own 8th and 9th gen Pioneer Kuro plasmas and have never experienced the issue. I've also owned various Panny plasmas over the years, my parents have 2010 and 2011 Panasonics (G series), and my buddy has a 2012 U50 and I've never noticed on theirs either.

If I'm really looking for it, I can almost force myself to see it on my Kuros and my friends/fam older Pannys, but it's nowhere close to the 2013 Panasonics. I my guess is the new "Pure Red Phosphor" since it usually has happens in high contrast scenes composed with reddish colors.

I really don't know if I'll ever be able to get used to it.

Pioneer Kuro PRO-151FD | KRP-500M | PDP-5020FD | PDP-4280HD

Pioneer Elite SC-05 | VSX-01TXH | BDP-23FD

Bowers & Wilkins CM8 | CM-Center | M-1

http://sean-scott.com

post #879 of 883 Old 01-09-2014, 09:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean.scott View Post

I've noticed this on both the VT60 and ZT60. I've owned plasmas for years and have never noticed this rainbow effect before. I currently own 8th and 9th gen Pioneer Kuro plasmas and have never experienced the issue. I've also owned various Panny plasmas over the years, my parents have 2010 and 2011 Panasonics (G series), and my buddy has a 2012 U50 and I've never noticed on theirs either.

If I'm really looking for it, I can almost force myself to see it on my Kuros and my friends/fam older Pannys, but it's nowhere close to the 2013 Panasonics. I my guess is the new "Pure Red Phosphor" since it usually has happens in high contrast scenes composed with reddish colors.

I really don't know if I'll ever be able to get used to it.

There was one guy who said the 2012 U50 series was free of it, but all the higher models had it. This year, the S60 and ST60 have it, and you're not the first to confirm the VT and ZT. So the entire line had it in 2013. Great way to go out, Panasonic. mad.gif It is by far my most signficant complaint about my 50ST60.

About the new red phosphor: I thought that was a ZT-only thing.

About getting used to it: Good luck with that. Learning to blink just as you move your eyes can help. Much as I hate it, it's still not a dealbreaker when the alternative is LCD.
post #880 of 883 Old 01-10-2014, 09:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Not sure how it could be a "new red phosphor" thing, as I see red and green and blue in my rainbows. Particularly noticeable during black and white films. Though either I am getting used to it, or my preference for reduced contrast has helped tame it some, as I don't see it as often as when I first noticed it, but it's still there on my zt60.
post #881 of 883 Old 01-15-2014, 11:27 AM

Quote:

Small update: Panasonic sent a service engineer (same one that put in the foam fix to reduce the whining airflow coming from the vents). He agreed to see the effect, but much less than I seem to 'experience' it.

Changed two boards, no results. Switched the power plug, no results. Reversed the power plug, no results.

Now the unit will be collected to be 'evaluated' by the tech support at the service center. This worries me a little as I will not be present to clearly describe how to test/what to look for.

Will post an update when there is more news.

gonijn, any update on this? I'm curious what Panasonic says about the issue.
post #882 of 883 Old 01-16-2014, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caiman View Post

gonijn, any update on this? I'm curious what Panasonic says about the issue.

Hi Caiman, Yesterday my TV was returned by Panasonic. Unfortunately there has been zero improvement. They exchanged the panel, but as we all know every unit in this series suffers, not just my unit. So....

I am left with a 3000 euro unit I cannot watch without a migraine after an hour or so. Panasonic has no answer, there is nothing they can do.

Issues I have encountered in the last month;

- Rainbow effect, acknowledged but no solution.

- Extreme loud fan noise/airflow, foam fix, not really sufficient.

- Problems with the CI+ modules (Netherlands/Ziggo), unknown problem, blaming the vendor of the modules, no solution.

- Unwanted spoken subtitles (option for shortsighted people), known problem, no solution.

My view on Panasonic as a company has been lowered significantly, used to buy most things Panasonic but that will change from now on.

Today I will return to the shop that sold me this unit and try to work something out with them.

Bottom-line, do not get your hopes up on a statement from Panasonic. If anyone gets some kind of confirmation from Panasonic this series HAS a problem, please let all of us know so we can use this as a precedence.

Really sorry about this bad news.

post #883 of 883 Old 01-16-2014, 09:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

zHi Caiman, Yesterday my TV was returned by Panasonic. Unfortunately there has been zero improvement. They exchanged the panel, but as we all know every unit in this series suffers, not just my unit.

No surprise there, but thanks for trying.

Quote:
My view on Panasonic as a company has been lowered significantly, used to buy most things Panasonic but that will change from now on.

Well, they're meeting you half-way on plasma at least. wink.gif
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page