Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 91 Old 02-02-2006, 05:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by stty0 View Post

There seems to be an issue with the Dell plasmas and video dropouts when using DVI-HDMI cables. I dont think HDMI-HDMI is an issue, but of course your cable box would need to have HDMI output for this.

Yep. Had a DVD player which had DVI output and so I purchased a DVI to HDMI cable. Got alot of drop outs so I purchased a Panny DVD player with native HDMI and it has resolved all of my problems. I know it was the DVI to HDMI because I tried two different cables and two different sources (dvd player and home theater PC).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 91 Old 02-02-2006, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt0138d View Post

Did anyone try the PIP mode? It is supposed to have two tuners. I tried to connect a coaxial cable from my HD cable box to the ATSC but I couldn't get it to work beyond one channel. Would it work? Here's what I am doing

Component from Cable box --> Component Input of W4201C
Coaxial cable from same cable box --> ATSC input of W4201C

In this config - I got to watch NBC on the ATSC input (Digital TV). The picture looked much better than the component input signal.

Any comments from those in the know?

Try splitting the incoming cable and sending one leg to the cable box, the other to the NTSC tuner (you should be able to use the ATSC/NTSC combo tuner as well, but might as well save that for OTA HD). Your cable box might only be sending the current channel to which it's tuned.

Steve.
post #63 of 91 Old 02-07-2006, 07:13 PM

I am using 6600GT and a DVI-HDMI cable, and had blinking once or twice over maybe 20-30 hours of game playing, but I was messing around with the cables and they were probably lose, and after I unplugged them and then plugged them in, never happened again.

Another funny this is how I got PIPIP. Scientific Atlanta has PIP and so does the Dell, which gives you PIPIP if you are watching TV/DVD or TV/TV, which I thought was kind of cute, though quite useless since the last picture in the PIPIP is very small.
post #64 of 91 Old 02-08-2006, 05:18 AM

has anyone had issues with the onscreen menu being burned in? I used it for about 30 seconds last night and had to use the built in wipe function to get rid of it.

I am within my return window and a little concerned that their warranty does not cover this and its their own menu that caused it??
post #65 of 91 Old 02-08-2006, 11:09 AM

Has anyone done a full calibration with DVE/AVIA on the W4201C yet and willing to post their settings?
post #66 of 91 Old 02-09-2006, 11:24 AM

CNet has now reviewed the W4201C ... it got 6.9/10 ... not too great of a score, but they did find some good points with the TV.

http://reviews.cnet.com/Dell_W4201C/...l?tag=pdtl-img
post #67 of 91 Old 02-10-2006, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaylonx View Post

has anyone had issues with the onscreen menu being burned in? I used it for about 30 seconds last night and had to use the built in wipe function to get rid of it.

I am within my return window and a little concerned that their warranty does not cover this and its their own menu that caused it??

I haven't had any problems with the menu ghosting (it's not really burn-in as it will generally fade on it's own after time or if you use the "plasma conditioning" option. You can change the transparency of the onscreen menus in the TV's setup. I think it's the last option on the right when you press the "Menu" button.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coretek View Post

Has anyone done a full calibration with DVE/AVIA on the W4201C yet and willing to post their settings?

I'd be interested in seeing peoples settings too. I'm going to see if I can rent the DVD this weekend and have a little play myself.
post #68 of 91 Old 02-10-2006, 09:20 AM

I got one of these about 2 weeks ago. My problem right now is that the audio coming out of the TV speakers is out of sync with my stereo or any other device I play in to or out of the TV. This makes the audio echo because the TV speakers are delivering audio slower. In fact even if I have another TV in my living room tuned to the same station there is a serious echo between them. This doesn't happen with any of my other components. Dell tech support is terrible. Is anyone else experiencing this? So much for variable or fixed audio out. I also wanted to use this with my computer, but they won't let you change to 4:3 mode while using the VGA input so the Windows display is distorted like watching 4:3 TV in 16:9 mode. My eyes can't take that. I'm starting to think I should have bought the Sony Wega 42" projection LCD. When you see Sony's in the store they have superior picture to other brands. LCD would also not burn in (which I've noticed with this set), run cooler and weigh less. The only problem with the Sony is that it doesn't have PIP.
post #69 of 91 Old 02-10-2006, 09:51 AM

LilNizle, check your video card options. There may be a 16:9 setting in there.

Steve.
post #70 of 91 Old 02-17-2006, 05:51 PM

It has been 1 month since I accepted delivery on my W4201C, I thought I would post some of my impressions ...

After recieving the TV, I turned down the brightness/contrast/saturation settings, and a week or so later calibrated the set (AVIA). Since then I have done some fine tuning to tweak these settings to my liking (I like my blacks a bit darker than calibration DVDs do). I use the following sources everyday on my TV:

LG LDA-531 Upconverting DVD Player - HDMI 1(was using via component at first)
Analog cable (NTSC input)
OTA HD (ATSC input)
DishNetwork 301 (S-Video1)

I estimate that I am just over 100 hours on this set as we speak. I personally can vouch for 4 hours a day, son/wife do about another 2-3, mostly (ugh) Barney/Wiggles DVDs. Here are my impressions:

Black crush - lots written about black crush on Dell plasmas. I have seen it once in 100 hours (a couple of days ago), on an SD channel on analog cable that always seems much worse in PQ than other channels. I dont think it was the TV's fault, the channel was looking quite grainy and dark compared to others. Black crush seems to be more of an issue on the 50" models, as far as I can tell.
White crush - havent seen anything at all.
Red Push - you guessed it, none seen.
Posterization - once again, nothing to note.

PQ - impressed by overall PQ. Colors seem very accurate. Good overall PQ in SD, Excellent in HD. Upconverted DVDs (i watch em at 1080i) are amazingly detailed with composite or HDMI inputs, HDMI is a little crisper and cleaner looking. SD much better using satellite compared to cable (garbage in, garbage out I suppose). Excellent brightness for well lit areas (like a family room during the daytime).

Picture modes - A proper zoom without stretching the picture would have been nice. Not much difference between wide/standard/full screen modes, esp. with 4:3 SD programming.

Presets - pain in the butt that color temp settings are not saved if you change to a preset and try to go back to 'Personal'. Sheesh. No explanation as to why they did this. Color temp reverts back to Blue. At least make the default 'Normal' or 'Natural'. Come on Dell, you can do it.

Annoyances:

1) Who TF at Dell decided it was a good idea to remove the ATSC signal strength meters from the W4201C? They were there in the W4200HD sets. Stupid, since it makes pointing an antenna difficult, maybe near impossible if you are very far from broadcast points. Bummer. If you are in a fringe or near fringe area, I would recommend an external ATSC tuner, with a freakin signal meter!

2) Remotes "Prev Ch" button does not switch between inputs. Now that is useless!

3) Plasma screen is very glossy, shows a lot of reflections in bright situations .. easy to see reflections from ceiling lights/lamps and windows on bright days, esp. if you are watching darker scenes. Not sure if other plasmas are less shiny than this one.

4) Speakers are nothing to write home about, about par with most plasma TV speakers. Was expecting better, kind of tinny sounding, lots of bass though. They are removable, so at least you can turf 'em for better ones.

4.5) Volume levels are on the low side of this TV. The vol does get quite loud, but only once you take it above 95% of max. That is a lot of button mashing to change levels noticeably. Perhaps my Panny CRT has me spoiled, but it has only about 40 steps from lowest to loudest, and anything above about 75% volume is ear splitting. I can max out the Dell, its loud, but not enough to stress your ears with.

5) Dell support can be a bunch of asshats. My set is missing the 2 thumb screws that secure the speakers to the stand. I do not need to be transferred 20 times to 20 different people, hung up on, etc to get a pair of screws. Ok, the 20 figure is an exaggeration, but it felt like 20. Really.

Overall: Excellent value for the price in Canada, considering its an HD plasma, has a jillion inputs and an ATSC tuner. Great so far, hopefully it stays that way
post #71 of 91 Old 02-20-2006, 06:36 AM

stty0 I'm a new owner of the W4201C too. Thanks for you great insight into the set.

I have a similar setup to you, with the LG 531 DVD player. I'm still waiting for my DVE calibration DVD to arrive, so I was wondering if you could post your colour settings for your HDMI input.

Also, do you have any connections using the component inputs? If so, would you be able to post those settings too?
post #72 of 91 Old 02-20-2006, 06:47 AM

Tantrum, the problems with the speakers that you described, were they loud popping noises on high dynamic sounds like explosions, etc. with the volume set around 70 or above and using the dell factory speakers. I have had my 4201C about 2 weeks and am noticing that type of problem. At low volumes the sound is fine. Has anyone defined the exact cause yet? Speakers or bad audio chip?
post #73 of 91 Old 02-20-2006, 07:35 AM

I saw this TV at the mall and got to play with the settings to do a eyeball calibration. I was fairly impressed with it, I don't totally buy the Cnet.com review, I'm going to wait for a real HT mag review before I totally pass judgement.

Samsung PN64D7000
Onkyo 706 THX Reciever
Sony PS3
Paradigm Monitor Series Speakers
M&K THX Subwoofer
post #74 of 91 Old 03-05-2006, 06:53 AM

Just got this a month ago and so far, love the set. I have connected it up to my home theater ( but left the speakers connected to the tv without the BASE, as i think TV looks muchhhh better this way. Love all the inputs. Amazing that even with basic cable, the clarity and reception is great. Im looking to switch to dish soon but so far, all is well. Always warning wifey about leaving DVD menu movie in still mode, to avoid burnin. Got the this beautiful stand to go with it and get all kinds of complements on it
Look forward to hearing others response on this unit. One thing i didnt like was DELL adding some extra fee to final price which they couldnt validat and got tired of being switched form one dept to another in BOMBAY " which looks like where Dells HelpDesk is
but oveall love my set. Cant wait till football season
post #75 of 91 Old 03-14-2006, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stty0 View Post

CNet has now reviewed the W4201C ... it got 6.9/10 ... not too great of a score, but they did find some good points with the TV.

http://reviews.cnet.com/Dell_W4201C/...l?tag=pdtl-img

Here's where cnet fu$$ed up.

Quote:

The opening scene of Star Trek: Insurrection clearly indicated the presence of 2:3 pull-down from our reference Denon DVD-3910 via its component interlaced outputs. However, we saw more visible noise than usual in this scene and in other DVDs we viewed, as well as in HD material, which leads us to believe that the Dell's video processing leaves something to be desired.

The 3910 has MB issues. Now wonder he saw the noise.
post #76 of 91 Old 03-14-2006, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin. W View Post

Here's where cnet fu$$ed up.

The 3910 has MB issues. Now wonder he saw the noise.

Huh. Good post. I'm about to buy one and have had lingering issues re: that review.
post #77 of 91 Old 03-18-2006, 06:57 PM

here is a review , from hdtvsolutions. **m /dell_4201C_plasma_tv. **m I am unable to post the site........ that puts the dell w4201c into the right frame of mind
bottom line the colors on this make up for all the nit picking , I walk into any store and I can compare the differance , and price

**com ** htm
post #78 of 91 Old 03-28-2006, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevec39 View Post

Tantrum, the problems with the speakers that you described, were they loud popping noises on high dynamic sounds like explosions, etc. with the volume set around 70 or above and using the dell factory speakers. I have had my 4201C about 2 weeks and am noticing that type of problem. At low volumes the sound is fine. Has anyone defined the exact cause yet? Speakers or bad audio chip?

Yes. The problem was a loud poppin noise and there was no problem at lower settings. Such as the scene in the beginning of Finding Nemo when Nemo gets captured by a diver that emerges out of nowhere as Nemo is swimming back to the reef.

It turns out there is nothing wrong with the audio chip. It was a problem with the speakers. The new speakers and the new tv that dell shipped showed the same problem but very much less. I am no longer using the Dell speakers, I purchased logitech z-5500's from amazon for cheap and it made all the difference compared to the Dell speakers.

By the way did anyone notice that PCmag gave W5001C 2 out of 5. Wow!
post #79 of 91 Old 04-03-2006, 08:26 AM

Any further discussion on this, I've had mine for about 2 months. I felt Dell had the best product for price. I was going to order it online but decided to check it out one more time at the kiosk....got another 7% off (Presifdent's Day). That sealed the deal. Did oysterhead stay with Dell.
post #80 of 91 Old 04-11-2006, 08:09 PM

I'm on my second W4201c now. The first one developed two vertical black lines (about 2 inches wide) down the middle of the screen after about a week and thus was replaced with a new unit.

I've had my replacement for just over a month now, but I've become annoyed by a buzzing sound it makes while in use. I notice it mostly at night when watching it with the volume low. I've read some other threads about a buzzing on their plasma and most seemed to return their unit. I talked to Dell and they will only offer me a refurb in exchange, so I'm not sure if I want to do that.

I think I'm going to hold out and see if the buzzing goes away. Just curious if anyone else has had a similar problem with their unit.
post #81 of 91 Old 04-18-2006, 05:36 PM

I love it.
I had an older panel with lower contrast ratio and nits...
The difference is AMAZING!!
2 HDMI inputs is awesome!!

No ghosting issues.
I live in a very bright house in Hawaii and it still looks great.

The only thing that did suck is I had to have Dell ship it to LA to a friend who had it crated and boated to me..

Well worth the extra $200..
post #82 of 91 Old 04-18-2006, 05:37 PM

I know the that buzzing can happen in high elevations....Where do you live?

You can also get buzzing from heat issues. Make sure your tv is well vented.
post #83 of 91 Old 04-19-2006, 11:39 AM

It is sitting on a stand about a foot away from the wall with nothing on the sides or above it...I live at sea level so I'm guessing that isn't an issue.
post #84 of 91 Old 05-01-2006, 06:20 AM

I've had no audio problems..just bothered that I have to reset my personal settings each time
post #85 of 91 Old 05-18-2006, 06:56 PM

I just got my W4201C two weeks ago and have been very happy with it until now...

I have it approx 2 feet above the floor on a stand, with the speakers attached to the sides of

I currently have the following devices attached: HD Cable Box (Component and S-Video), X-Box360 (Component), and DVD (Composite). All are connected to a Tripplite ISO bar.

As of this morning, I seem to have lost approx 15% of the display on the left side!!! I've switched to all the other inputs and have gotten the same results. I've called it into Dell and after some troubleshooting, they have decided to replace the unit.

The Customer Service was ok, but it hurts to think I've only had this for two weeks and already need a replacement. Meanwhile my old Sony WEGA 27" which is almost 7 years old just keeps on chugging.

I'd like to hear from any others who may have experienced this issue and/or how the replacement plan worked out for you. Thanks!
post #86 of 91 Old 06-11-2006, 11:39 PM

According to the published specifications, the W4201C will supposedly accept a 576p (PAL EDTV) input signal. Has anybody tried this over HDMI? And if so, was the image displayed at its native 50hz frame rate, or was it converted to 60hz?

Basically, I'm trying to find a flat panel display, for sale in the United States, that will allow me to watch PAL DVDs over HDMI from my Denon DVD-3910, without frame rate conversion. I don't care about speakers, tuners, or analog inputs--the 3910 will be my only source. Perhaps the Dell will be suitable for my purpose...any advice is appreciated!

--Paul Curtis
post #87 of 91 Old 07-02-2006, 10:53 PM

Does Anybybody Know If The Dell W4201c Has An Anti Burn In Mode If It Does Then Can I Play Video Games So I Whont Get Burn In's. Thank You
post #88 of 91 Old 08-05-2006, 01:36 PM

The Dell W4201C is serving us well thus far. After making dozens of Dell computer purchases we took the leap in the TV division.

The clarity is much better than the skeptical reviews I read. Even without the HD feed the cable service is providing a very clear picture. I connected a cheap direction HD antenna and picked up the few HD stations brocasted 25 miles south of us. The built in tuner did the job giving us HD without the charges!

I am looking a adding an inexpensive RCA DRC257N DVD player. Its reviews on this site are rather positive for a $75 unit.

By the way, this TV is bought by my 70 year old mother who demanded she have an HD Flat screen. I cannot afford one and really don't have time to watch that much TV. The humor in all this is great.

Thanks for all your comments.
post #89 of 91 Old 01-26-2007, 07:58 PM

I've had my dell 4201c for 3 weeks, I like it so far. The only problems that i have had is the tv will just shut off at random times, and when i first plugged in the tv it wouldnt turn on . the power light in the right lower corner just kept flashing. I finally got it to turn on but then a couple of days later i moved the tv and when i plugged it in again it did the same thing. I have no idea why its doing this but its kind of annoying. other than that i think the tv is great. Any feedback on my problems would be great.
post #90 of 91 Old 05-11-2007, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-b View Post

I've had my dell 4201c for 3 weeks, I like it so far. The only problems that i have had is the tv will just shut off at random times, and when i first plugged in the tv it wouldnt turn on . the power light in the right lower corner just kept flashing. I finally got it to turn on but then a couple of days later i moved the tv and when i plugged it in again it did the same thing. I have no idea why its doing this but its kind of annoying. other than that i think the tv is great. Any feedback on my problems would be great.

I never had the problem you mentioned. Is there any timeout selected - not that I am aware of such a feature.

Here is an unrelated bit of information. I used to set the volume between 50 and 70 for most of the channels for comfort. Of course, commercials would shatter my eardrums but things were fine. Over the weekend, I found a setting in the Comcast cable box. Once I changed that, the audio is much loader.

I no longer use anything above 50 for audio. Since I didn't see it posted so far, thought I will share it with others.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page