Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 4648 Old 01-23-2006, 04:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dewsky View Post

If anyone can tell me how to post some pics I will for everyone.

www.imageshack.us worked for me. Post 'em up!!

So dewsky, now that you have your NEC, do you feel good about your choice? I seem to remember that you went thru a lot of back and forth when making your decision on what plasma to purchase.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 4648 Old 01-23-2006, 04:32 PM

Yes I am so glasd I got the nec I am watchin pirates of the caribbean and I am blown away. I saw the pioneer elite at a store near me and this tv blows it away. I just want to give a shout out also to Chris at Cleveland Plasma for his great service and support. The tv came in only 4 days and the stand came the same day. Thanks for everything chris and thanks for everything forum junkies. I will post pics soon

23 yrs old and a slave to the technology revolution.
post #633 of 4648 Old 01-23-2006, 04:59 PM

Ok here you go sry If they dont look perfect I just shot quickly and my camera isnt great.
http://img226.imageshack.us/img226/4...ture0181gb.jpg
http://img224.imageshack.us/img224/7...ture0199xe.jpg

post #634 of 4648 Old 01-23-2006, 05:52 PM

I know this is stupid but can cpcat tell me what does the RG, GG ,etc mean in your post of the settings I couldnt find those acronyms anywhere is the plasma menu. I am refferring to

Temperature settings
*RG 30
*GG 32
*BG 29
*BR 50
*BG 49
*BB 54
And what do you mean by pedestal 0

post #635 of 4648 Old 01-23-2006, 06:29 PM

Dewsky, you can adjust the different Red Gain (RG) or Bias Red (BR), etc. under the color temp settings. Hit enter when your on the color temp setting such as mid or mid-low to adjust them. For Pedestal he means "set-up-level". I think there are three settings for this, 0, 3.75% and 7.5%. Anything more than 0 looks a little to dark for me.

PS - Anyone else have an HDTIVO with one of these yet?
post #636 of 4648 Old 01-23-2006, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Congrats to Motley, Zouyun, and Dewsky!

Great pics as well. *Much* better than I could do with my ancient camera.

Dewsky, sorry about the abbreviations. Those are the red, green, and blue gain and bias adjustments found if you select the color temp in the user menu. These are grey scale adjustments. You won't find this in the user menus of most pdp's. There are also seperate color tune adjustments as well. I've played with the grey scale while looking at the vertical/horizontal grey ramps on AVIA. The smoother the ramp, the less banding you'll see when watching real material as well. Obviously, a pro ISF'er could do it more precisely but I still think it helps. The pedestal is the IRE setting at which you set the black. Typically, it's 7.5 for Video and 0 for PC. However, when using HDMI setting HDMI to "high" in the setup menu takes care of that already so you need to set pedestal to zero for Video. Using component, set pedestal to 7.5 assuming you are using a standard video input.

I'd be a little careful with letterboxed DVD's for awhile if I were you (anything with AR more than 1.85:1). I doubt it would cause any permanent burn-in, but it will raise your anxiety level a bit while you are waiting for it to go away. The ghosting seems to get much less noticeable after 100 hours or so. I didn't use the white screen to speed break-in but this seems like a good idea.

I'm using my 50XR5 for PC now and the ghosting is no longer a problem.
post #637 of 4648 Old 01-23-2006, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by dewsky View Post

Yes I am so glasd I got the nec I am watchin pirates of the caribbean and I am blown away. I saw the pioneer elite at a store near me and this tv blows it away.

well to be honest, virtually every new plasma owner says something like this about their new display, regardless of brand, in comparison to any other brand examined in a store setting. Not to doubt that NEC has a great picture, just that I don't find that these kind of comparisons very useful to someone considering options (unless you were able to get both competing models in the same store for your comparison, ideally side-by-side).

In any case, The Pirates of the Caribbean shot looks very good, regardless of the quality of your digital camera/uploading.

Mourning the disappearing usage of the -ly suffix. Words being cut-off before they've had a chance to fully form, left incomplete, with their shoelaces untied and their zippers undone. If I quote your post (or post in your thread) without comment, please check your zipper.
post #638 of 4648 Old 01-23-2006, 09:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Can anyone confirm that the 42XR4 is the newest model? Another words, would this model be like an 8th generation Panny as far as the most recent improvements?
post #639 of 4648 Old 01-23-2006, 11:51 PM

yes it's the latest gen.

the screen is improved from the previous 42" nec.

however, the 50" might have the same glass as last year's.

$2k more for 1080p??? I think not! I bought nice seating instead!
post #640 of 4648 Old 01-24-2006, 06:02 AM

Hope I have done this right. Just recieved my 42XR4 from Chris at Cleveland Plasma yesterday and I will say it is as good as I had hoped. I hooked it up with an HDMI cable with a HD Comcast box/DVR and also tested it with the composite cables (red,green,blue) they provide but did not notice a big difference. As I get used to it i will post my thouights and some pictures of my set-up.
post #641 of 4648 Old 01-24-2006, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruelInventions View Post

well to be honest, virtually every new plasma owner says something like this about their new display, regardless of brand, in comparison to any other brand examined in a store setting. Not to doubt that NEC has a great picture, just that I don't find that these kind of comparisons very useful to someone considering options (unless you were able to get both competing models in the same store for your comparison, ideally side-by-side).

In any case, The Pirates of the Caribbean shot looks very good, regardless of the quality of your digital camera/uploading.

So what's your point? Maybe he wasn't nesessarily trying to fulfill your needs for a comparison in the first place.
post #642 of 4648 Old 01-24-2006, 07:03 AM

All I can say is for my eyes the nec looks better. This was in a home theatre store where the pioneer was calibrated professionally and it is right down from my house so to me I can see a difference. This is just my opinion and like cpcat said I am not trying to sway anyone or make anyones decision for them I am just letting everyone else out there who wont be able to do a side by side comparison that the nec at least in my eyes comes very close to the pioneer elite.

post #643 of 4648 Old 01-24-2006, 08:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
For those of you getting HD receiption via OTA -- How are you tuning the channels? Did you have to purchase a separate tuner?

I currently use a regular DTV package and don't want to get the DTV HD package just yet.

thanks

Ken
post #644 of 4648 Old 01-24-2006, 09:23 AM

I'm now looking at the 50XR5 box sitting in my living room, and with the worst possible timing my wife sprained her ankle last night, so she can't help me mount it.

I've got my camera at the ready, so if there are any pictures of the plasma that people have wanted before it gets mounted, speak now.

Interesting Fact #1: Crate dimensions are 53.9"L x 35.0"H x 15.7"D
post #645 of 4648 Old 01-24-2006, 09:33 AM
DAB
AVS Special Member

I watched the Warrior's Basketball game last night in HD. I was completely blown away how this picture looked. - It was pure 35mm. It was just incredible. You could read the lip of the players as they talked. One more thing ---this is the first time I have every watched a BB game on TV.

** In addition, it appears the PQ looks better after warming up. But not sure, just a new observation.
db
post #646 of 4648 Old 01-24-2006, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyyuan View Post

For those of you getting HD receiption via OTA -- How are you tuning the channels? Did you have to purchase a separate tuner?

I currently use a regular DTV package and don't want to get the DTV HD package just yet.

thanks

I use the tuner in my HDTIVO without paying for the HD package from directv. My understanding is that all of their receivers are made that way. Therefore if you just want the OTA you can probably get on old sony or samsung directv hd receiver and use the ota function on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAB View Post

** In addition, it appears the PQ looks better after warming up. But not sure, just a new observation.
db

I agree, at first I thought I was nuts, but the PQ deffinitely does get better with time. It just seems like it gets a bit sharper with less noise/motion artifiacts. Maybe an illusion, but when I hear someone else say it too, it's kind of funny. Maybe we're both nuts!
post #647 of 4648 Old 01-24-2006, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpcat View Post

So what's your point? Maybe he wasn't nesessarily trying to fulfill your needs for a comparison in the first place.

just an observation. I had a feeling it might be taken as a criticism of the poster, but I really didn't mean for it to come off that way. I guess I'm just a little surprised whenever I ever see those kind of comments being made, knowing how imprecise they usually are. And I understand your point as well. His post wasn't so much an attempt to sway or make some definitive evaluation, but more as an enthusiastic, and perhaps even relieved, realization as to the quality of the plasma he had decided to plunk down his hard-earned cash for.

Btw, in light of dewsky's subsequent post and added contextual info, now I actually find his initial comment to be useful for a prospective buyer. Again, not that he necessarily intended for it to be taken in that way in the first place.

Mourning the disappearing usage of the -ly suffix. Words being cut-off before they've had a chance to fully form, left incomplete, with their shoelaces untied and their zippers undone. If I quote your post (or post in your thread) without comment, please check your zipper.
post #648 of 4648 Old 01-24-2006, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msd20 View Post

Hope I have done this right. Just recieved my 42XR4 from Chris at Cleveland Plasma yesterday and I will say it is as good as I had hoped. I hooked it up with an HDMI cable with a HD Comcast box/DVR and also tested it with the composite cables (red,green,blue) they provide but did not notice a big difference. As I get used to it i will post my thouights and some pictures of my set-up.

MSD20,

Congrats on your purchase. Please post some pictures soon and your impressions. I'm also looking at this 42" model as an alternative to a Panasonic. Thanks!
post #649 of 4648 Old 01-24-2006, 03:43 PM

Emailed NEC today about difference in the new NEC 42 and 50 plasma's, response below:

The 42" is a new and improved design which results in better blacks and contrast ratio. It has a higher contrast ratio than the 50" plasmas.
post #650 of 4648 Old 01-24-2006, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruelInventions View Post

just an observation. I had a feeling it might be taken as a criticism of the poster, but I really didn't mean for it to come off that way. I guess I'm just a little surprised whenever I ever see those kind of comments being made, knowing how imprecise they usually are. And I understand your point as well. His post wasn't so much an attempt to sway or make some definitive evaluation, but more as an enthusiastic, and perhaps even relieved, realization as to the quality of the plasma he had decided to plunk down his hard-earned cash for.

Btw, in light of dewsky's subsequent post and added contextual info, now I actually find his initial comment to be useful for a prospective buyer. Again, not that he necessarily intended for it to be taken in that way in the first place.

Wow. Impressive response.
post #651 of 4648 Old 01-24-2006, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregF2 View Post

Emailed NEC today about difference in the new NEC 42 and 50 plasma's, response below:

The 42" is a new and improved design which results in better blacks and contrast ratio. It has a higher contrast ratio than the 50" plasmas.

This is great for the 42 in. owners. But don't be concerned necessarily if you have the 50. It's common for the smaller panels to have higher measured contrast ratio. For example, the current 42 inch Panny is 4000:1 compared to the 50 which is 3000:1.
post #652 of 4648 Old 01-24-2006, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregF2 View Post

Has anybody seen both? How big does the difference seem to you. I wonder why they would not use the newer glass on the bigger plasmas. Anybody?
post #653 of 4648 Old 01-24-2006, 07:30 PM

My theory is that the glass used in the 50" is the newest available because it was just updated last december which could have been the newest glass and at this time there may not be any new glass available. They could have updated the glass but they probably had no need because updating the electronics improves the picture quality probably enough to be competitive.

post #654 of 4648 Old 01-24-2006, 07:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:

This is great for the 42 in. owners. But don't be concerned necessarily if you have the 50. It's common for the smaller panels to have higher measured contrast ratio. For example, the current 42 inch Panny is 4000:1 compared to the 50 which is 3000:1.

42ED is 4000:1. The HD version is 3000:1
post #655 of 4648 Old 01-24-2006, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony17 View Post

I agree, at first I thought I was nuts, but the PQ deffinitely does get better with time. It just seems like it gets a bit sharper with less noise/motion artifiacts. Maybe an illusion, but when I hear someone else say it too, it's kind of funny. Maybe we're both nuts!

I second this observation .
The PQ gradually improves as time goes by. The image after just turning on TV is a lot different than the image an hour later.
Call me whatever , but this observation is fairly consistent.
I bet there is a techinical explanantion for this .
post #656 of 4648 Old 01-24-2006, 10:36 PM

Just finished setting up the 50XR5. Thanks to Chris at Cleveland Plasma! The panel is everything I expected.

Pic!
post #657 of 4648 Old 01-25-2006, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopsicleCan View Post

Just finished setting up the 50XR5. Thanks to Chris at Cleveland Plasma! The panel is everything I expected.

Pic!

Holy crap! That alone makes me want to buy one right now. Too bad the WAF is making me wait until we're in our house first
post #658 of 4648 Old 01-25-2006, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

42ED is 4000:1. The HD version is 3000:1

Sorry, thanks for the correction. Don't lose the point here though. The smaller plasmas will typically have higher measured contrast in large part due to being brighter.
post #659 of 4648 Old 01-25-2006, 06:45 AM

I tried to post a picture but the message said I needed to make 5 posts before submitting one due to spam. I will say I picked up the box from Comcast as I did not want to wait a week for them to come out. I could not change the setting from 480 to 720 or 1080 with the remote so I called them. The customer service rep I spoke to said the box could not be changed! I said that was not possible but she insisted. It was late so I got the bright idea to check the box itself(Explorer 8300D) and after experimenting I found you can change it only from the box itself not the remote. All I can say is WOW! The picture is GREAT! When I am able to post a picture I will also post a picture of the box and where to change it if some of you out there have one as well.
post #660 of 4648 Old 01-25-2006, 06:47 AM

Quote:

Sorry, thanks for the correction. Don't lose the point here though. The smaller plasmas will typically have higher measured contrast in large part due to being brighter.

Exactly, in the case of the 4000:1 to 3000:1 disparity with the Panasonics, it's because the ED has much larger pixels (same screen size, but less pixels). Larger pixels mean higher ratio of lit area to cell boundary, so brighter picture.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Harman Kardon Avr 235 7 1 Channel Audio Video Surround Receiver

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page