Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 4648 Old 01-29-2006, 01:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

(BIG MAC) There is no sence in upscaling twice. I am sure the scaler onboard the NEC if far better than one in a DVD player. This is another advantage to the NEC, no upscaling DVD player required. Just about any Progressive scan DVD player will do.

Does it even need to be P-Scan? I'd imagine the deinterlacer in the NEC is better than the one in most dvd players
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 4648 Old 01-29-2006, 01:21 PM

my sony DVD player looks a little worse when i use 480p instead of 480i

$2k more for 1080p??? I think not! I bought nice seating instead!
post #723 of 4648 Old 01-29-2006, 01:33 PM

Does that mean Xbox 360 is more than enough?
No need for a DVD player?
post #724 of 4648 Old 01-29-2006, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post

Great,
Since NEC can upscale ouput from an average DVD player. Xbox is a good DVD player . Does that mean buying OPPO dvd player was a waste of my money ?
Are there any advantages to keeping a separate DVD player, besides Xbox specially with NEC TV's?

Don't know whether the Oppo is better than the xbox, but there certainly can be a difference. You're still depending on the player to deinterlace 480i to 480p. Ideally, you'd output 480i over DVI/HDMI and allow the NEC to do the rest assuming it has the best processing. The problem is finding a source that will do this. I thought the Oppo was one of the players that did.

I can tell you that my LG 3510a is noticeably better outputting 480p via DVI to my scaler than my PC's DVD drive outputting the same over VGA. I don't have a DVD source that will ouput 480i over DVI/HDMI.
post #725 of 4648 Old 01-29-2006, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

(BIG MAC) Just about any Progressive scan DVD player will do.

The problem is that not many will output 480i via DVI/HDMI. If you use 480p the player is still deinterlacing.

There's also the issue of the player's ability to create the 480i signal accurately. In the end, a higher quality DVD player could still make a difference. Otherwise, to use an analogy, it would be like saying all CD players are equal if you are using an outboard DAC.
post #726 of 4648 Old 01-29-2006, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=614206

You might want to check this out.

I am planning to get the Pio 59avi or 79avi once I get my PDP, in order to do just that and let the NEC's scaler do the rest. Unless, of course I go crazy and get the Denon 3910... which BTW does NOT output 480i over HDMI. ( )

cheers

shane

"Yes Eve... I like to watch." - Chauncey Gardener.

My HT Setup:
http://www.fototime.com/A0E2793180FB3D0/orig.jpg
post #727 of 4648 Old 01-29-2006, 11:26 PM

do any of you have the Harmony 880 or 890?

does it do a good job at controlling your NEC?

specifically, can it switch zoom modes (anamorphic, 2.35:1, etc.)?

if not, i don't see the point in buying the remote.

post #728 of 4648 Old 01-30-2006, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oysterhead View Post

do any of you have the Harmony 880 or 890?

does it do a good job at controlling your NEC?

specifically, can it switch zoom modes (anamorphic, 2.35:1, etc.)?

if not, i don't see the point in buying the remote.

I have the Harmony 880. The NEC 50XR5A isn't in the "pre-configured list", but the 50XR4A is. I think the big difference between the two is PIP, but you can put all that in manually. It should be downloadable soon, the XR5A is just too new I guess.

You can change the aspect easily, but you need to assign the button to one of the LCD buttons... there isn't a standard aspect button on the remote. It took me a little bit to get everything setup the way I wanted, but it's very functional. I wouldn't pay MSRP for it, that's for sure. I had a good experience purchasing mine from ecost.
post #729 of 4648 Old 01-30-2006, 06:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I have an MX-500 which does a very good job at controlling the zoom modes. All you have to do is teach the Wide button to any button on the remote via the learn function and it works great. Significantly less expensive than the Harmony remote....plus I like the button setup better.
post #730 of 4648 Old 01-30-2006, 09:31 AM

Are you guys buying extended warranties with your NEC plasmas? I'm getting ready to buy the 42XR4 from Chris and leaning towards adding the 5 year warranty he sells but wanted a second opinion...
post #731 of 4648 Old 01-30-2006, 09:59 AM

thanks for the remote info everyone...I'd certainly like to hear about other people's remote experiences, too

LisaM and rnotley: can your remotes do the zoom + and zoom - functions, too? what about the "picture memory" button?

thornsenjon: i bought the extended 5 yr...

but I'm a sucker for warranties.

one of those things....i've never regretted buying a warranty, but i've certainly regretted NOT buying a warranty.

post #732 of 4648 Old 01-30-2006, 10:32 AM
N8G

I didn't buy the extended warranty, but I did use a Visa Card that has warranty protection so that extends my man. warranty to 2/4. Good enough for me for $0 extra.

Also wanted to comment on the remote situation. I have a Marantz receiver that comes with a pretty nice universal remote. I couldn't find a code that put everything in, but the one I used allowed a decent starting place with pip, on/off, volume, etc. Then I just programmed the rest in through the learning function. Worked great. Don't need to keep the NEC remote out anymore.
post #733 of 4648 Old 01-30-2006, 11:21 AM
Advanced Member

Oysterhead: I haven't taught the MX-500 the code for zoom +/zoom - but I am sure that it could do it. You can teach the remote quite easily by placing it head to head and following the easy directions.

As to the extended warranty, I didn't buy it. I used my American Express card which extends the warranty protection.
post #734 of 4648 Old 01-30-2006, 11:24 AM

Quote:

thanks for the remote info everyone...I'd certainly like to hear about other people's remote experiences, too

LisaM and rnotley: can your remotes do the zoom + and zoom - functions, too? what about the "picture memory" button?

I'm a long-time user of a Harmony 6-series remote. All I had to add to the 50XR4 profile was the HD4/HDMI input, everything else was there. I also configured the DVD control buttons to do input and memory like the NEC. I then added all the PIP, wide and memory controls to the LCD screen. Took less than an hour to get everything setup and saved - now my Harmony does everything exactly as I want it to do. The NEC remote has been permanently added to my growing collection of unneeded remotes. Wouldn't want to be without this handy remote!

Dave
post #735 of 4648 Old 01-30-2006, 11:46 AM

No extended warranty for me. You get nine months to decide whether or not to get the warrantech warranty, so no point in getting it now. My Amex makes it 2/4, so that seems like more than enough for me. In four years I'll probably get an itch and sell it for SED or whatever.

I have a Harmony 680. I still haven't tweaked it yet, but as of now, it's working fine with the 50XR4 profile. I'm going to add Wide and Picture Memory to the LCD screen.
post #736 of 4648 Old 01-30-2006, 01:58 PM

The 42XR4 looks like it would be the best set for my requirements, but I have three simple questions:

1. I intend to connect it to an HTPC via DVI. Has anyone had success connecting one of the HDMI inputs to a PC with a DVI-HDMI cable? I'm not concerned with 1080p.

2. How noticeable is the fan noise if you put your head behind the plasma? I currently have a Samsung HLP DLP set and the fan is quite annoying. Listening to fans on sets in stores allows me to tell whether or not it will annoy me or if I will ever hear it.

3. I'd like to see one of these sets in person if at all possible. I live in the Seattle, WA area. Does anyone know of any retailers that carry this set? I've read through the entire thread and I know that NEC doesn't push these sets out to very many retailers, but I'm hoping that someone has narrowed down the search somewhat. If no B&M stores carry it in my area, maybe someone can suggest an online retailer that is a little closer than Ohio or New York.

Thanks, and any input or advice is appreciated.
post #737 of 4648 Old 01-30-2006, 02:22 PM
Advanced Member

The tag on my panel says the voltage is 100-240V. Does this mean that the panel is compatible in all regions of the world, except for a cord swap?

Chris Majoros is assisting me iron out a misshipment of a 240V plug and Euro manuals within my panel package. I am hoping I will not have to swap the panel as well. I am already speculating that the panel is okay, so I prefer only absolute answers that trump my own opinion.

Thanks!

Just like you
post #738 of 4648 Old 01-30-2006, 03:02 PM
Advanced Member

Kastagir: I think that Visual Apex is in Washington State. Their contact info is located at the top of the page since they are a forum sponsor.
post #739 of 4648 Old 01-30-2006, 03:15 PM
N8G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kastagir View Post

The 42XR4 looks like it would be the best set for my requirements, but I have three simple questions:

2. How noticeable is the fan noise if you put your head behind the plasma? I currently have a Samsung HLP DLP set and the fan is quite annoying. Listening to fans on sets in stores allows me to tell whether or not it will annoy me or if I will ever hear it.

Thanks, and any input or advice is appreciated.

Sorry, I can only answer question 2 for you - I don't hear any fan noise when it is on. I can hear some soft buzzing when a bright scene is displayed, but only if I am within about 2 feet of the display. At normal viewing distance though, I can't hear anything from the panel.
post #740 of 4648 Old 01-30-2006, 03:31 PM

For people that own or have seen the NEC's in person, how do they look compared to the Pio 5060 or 4360? I have seen many NEC pics, but still does not do justice to seeing in person. The only thing I don't like about the Pio's is the glossy bezal. Thanks!
post #741 of 4648 Old 01-30-2006, 03:48 PM

I have driven down to a look Ht store and tried to compare it with the pioneer elite they have there and to my eyes it looks just as good maybe better. But I cannot vouch for everyone this is just my eyes.

23 yrs old and a slave to the technology revolution.
post #742 of 4648 Old 01-30-2006, 04:11 PM

After several frustrating days delay waiting for Comcast-initiated water damage to be repaired, finally got the 61XR4 hooked up and firing.

In a word, wow!

I was a little concerned that downsizing from a FP and 106" screen in our new smaller media room would prove to be an underwhelming experience. However it's proved exactly the opposite, watching the NEC from 12-13 ft provides a totally absorbing experience with HD on cable or good DVDs through HDMI. I have set my Pio DV-79 to output 480i/576i over HDMI so the NEC is doing the scaling and seems to be making an excellent job of it. Just watched 'The Girl with a Pearl earring' which has candle-lit scenes as well predominantly black clothing. The blacks were excellent IMO.

I'll post some pics if someone could PM the recommended camera settings.

My thanks also also to Chris at Cleveland Plasma for a straightforward and painless transaction.

Best regards,

Frederick.
post #743 of 4648 Old 01-30-2006, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinocampa View Post

The tag on my panel says the voltage is 100-240V. Does this mean that the panel is compatible in all regions of the world, except for a cord swap?

Chris Majoros is assisting me iron out a misshipment of a 240V plug and Euro manuals within my panel package. I am hoping I will not have to swap the panel as well. I am already speculating that the panel is okay, so I prefer only absolute answers that trump my own opinion.

Thanks!

Yes, the NEC panel is fully compatible both from a voltage/frequency and TV standards perspective.

I believe it is the only consumer panel sold in the US that has that capability.

I have watched both NTSC and PAL DVDs already on my 61", and the NEC confirms that it is receiving the signals in the correct resolution from my multistandard DVD player.

Best regards,

Frederick.
post #744 of 4648 Old 01-30-2006, 04:19 PM
Advanced Member

Not long ago, some NEC salesman suggested to a member to use an all-white screen for the 100-hr break-in. Here is what my NEC documentation states:

"In case the phosphor burn is not severe, an all-white screen may reduce the phosphor burn to an acceptable lever over time. Please note that an all-white screen will decrease the brightness level, so care must be taken to utilize it for the shortest possible time." (bold emphasis mine)

Does anyone STILL suggest this method? Based on this note alone, I will not use it. Has anyone else used this method, either partially or exclusively, for break-in?

Just like you
post #745 of 4648 Old 01-30-2006, 04:24 PM

I have'nt used an all white screen. Another member has posted a really great break-in dvd that rotates through a series of full colored screens. I have used this dvd with the contrast and brightness set down very low for a couple of nights. I think this would accomplish the same task with much less possible damage in my opinion.
post #746 of 4648 Old 01-30-2006, 07:53 PM

Can someone please PM me the price people are quoted for 50XR5 and 42XR4? I'm getting ready to strike and want to know what I can afford

I've already left a message for Cleveland Plasma and haven't heard back yet. I'm also hoping Cleveland sell the 42/50" stand, too.

Also, what are people's thought on a 50" for 9' viewing distance? I was all set on the 42 until I hear about the "shrinkage" concerns. Should I just suck it up and go for broke with the 50" or stick with the 42" for now?

I can't WAIT NO MORE!!!!
post #747 of 4648 Old 01-30-2006, 07:54 PM

So I pulled the trigger on the 50xr5. Regardless of all the pros and cons, my previous TV blew out a couple weeks ago and I couldn't wait until April (or May, or June) for a Panasonic and I didn't feel like waiting at least a month for a Pioneer.

Could someone help me with a few questions? First, what are the dimensions of the box that this thing ships in? Second, does it come double boxed...and if so, do you know the dimensions of the inside box? Lastly, will it be ok for me to stand the box on its end for the duration of a 20 second ride up my elevator? I can't imagine that the plasma screen couldn't be suspended in this position for a short period of time, but I'd hate to break the thing before it ever gets turned on.

Thanks for all your help.
post #748 of 4648 Old 01-30-2006, 08:35 PM

Quote:

There hasn't been a button on the NEC remote that I haven't been able to 'program' into the Harmony 880. The thing to remember is that each LCD screenful has only 8 buttons. You can page thru different screens in order to see all the non-standard buttons.
post #749 of 4648 Old 01-30-2006, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kastagir View Post

You can't hear the fans at all. Maybe from 4 inches away and even then all you hear is the air movement, not the fan.
post #750 of 4648 Old 01-30-2006, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinocampa View Post

Not long ago, some NEC salesman suggested to a member to use an all-white screen for the 100-hr break-in. Here is what my NEC documentation states:

"In case the phosphor burn is not severe, an all-white screen may reduce the phosphor burn to an acceptable lever over time. Please note that an all-white screen will decrease the brightness level, so care must be taken to utilize it for the shortest possible time." (bold emphasis mine)

Does anyone STILL suggest this method? Based on this note alone, I will not use it. Has anyone else used this method, either partially or exclusively, for break-in?

Hmm... I would say that 70 hours of my 100 hour "break-in" was the white screen. Whoops, missed that one in the manual. Oh well, I haven't noticed a thing... except image retention doesn't really happen anymore, unless I leave my videogames on pause for 10 minutes and then turn the screen to black and try to look for it.

I don't know much about the stretch modes for other plasma TV's, but one feature I like of the NEC is the ability to modify the vertical/horizontal placement and stretch of each WIDE mode. This was useful because my PS2 in anamorphic mode would be perfect except for two very narrow bars on either side. It was very easy to modify the anamorphic horizontal stretch. The great thing is that the NEC remember's this setting for only the input you are using, so it won't change the anamorphic settings on the other inputs.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Harman Kardon Avr 235 7 1 Channel Audio Video Surround Receiver

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page