NEC new plasma thread!!! - 42xr4, 50xr5, 61xr4 - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 4648 Old 01-04-2006, 07:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone compared these new NEC's to a Pioneer 5050 or 5060 plasma. What I like most about the pioneers are the rich "punchy" vibrate colors. I also like the "bright" output of the pioneers. Can anyone who has seen both brands do a comparison?

From what I understand, the NEC's and the Pioneers share some technology.

Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 4648 Old 01-04-2006, 07:57 PM

Hi all

Just received my 50SRX5. Chris ( Cleveland plasma) great job in shipping it safe from such a long distance .
Beautifully designed unit .
Opened the box , opened my brand new oppo . Hooked it up using HDMI.
I am watching bug's life with my 2 yr old .
Simply one word fantastic .............
At times you do get the 3D feeling . Great colors, excellent contrast . No tweaking just default out of box .
I am no expert reviewer, but hunting for a plasma , i have seen it all , so far the best unit definitely above panasonic in my 15 minutes ,initial limited review . Will discuss some more reviews and issues as i go along .
Happy with my decision .
post #183 of 4648 Old 01-04-2006, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

you got it Big Mac ! congrats and many many hours of great fun with your new panel on your little one !
..btw, so much better for those little children anyway
post #184 of 4648 Old 01-04-2006, 09:01 PM

cpcat....thanks for the settings you posted. I tried them out and the picture looks fantastic. I did a couple of little tweaks, but probably due to the difference in setups. I find it amazing that you found the NEC's scaler to be superior to your external one. That really says alot about what the NEC provides.

I took some pics tonight and will be sending them to Chris at Cleveland Plasma tomorrow so that he can host them for me. They look pretty good, but nothing like what the experience is like in person. It seems like the PQ really does get better as the panel breaks in...anyone else agree?

Back to watching USC finally go down!
post #185 of 4648 Old 01-04-2006, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul watkins View Post

Has anyone compared these new NEC's to a Pioneer 5050 or 5060 plasma.

Paul

From some earlier spec's, there isn't as much shared components as expected, even though they come out of the same manufacturing plant.

I do believe though they both Pioneer and NEC are comparable in their level of vibrant colours and imagery.
post #186 of 4648 Old 01-04-2006, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan_9 View Post

have any owners tried out the PIP? can you have 2 HD inputs in PIP/split screen? what is your review of the PIP feature?

I was viewing the side by side PIP with HD & DVD and was very impressed with the level of detail. I found this to stand out more so than the traditional large/small windows.
post #187 of 4648 Old 01-05-2006, 05:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony17 View Post

cpcat....thanks for the settings you posted. I tried them out and the picture looks fantastic. I did a couple of little tweaks, but probably due to the difference in setups. I find it amazing that you found the NEC's scaler to be superior to your external one. That really says alot about what the NEC provides.

I took some pics tonight and will be sending them to Chris at Cleveland Plasma tomorrow so that he can host them for me. They look pretty good, but nothing like what the experience is like in person. It seems like the PQ really does get better as the panel breaks in...anyone else agree?

Back to watching USC finally go down!

I do agree it seems to get better with time. Hard to say whether it's break-in or whether the adjustments you make are the difference.

I also have tweaked those original settings just a bit. I put the color/tint back at default values and upped the GR and GB by one notch in the white balance adjustment. The earlier post was revised to reflect this. It seemed to look more natural with the game last night.

What a game, eh?
post #188 of 4648 Old 01-05-2006, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

I was reading through the "model information" packet for the 50XR5 which is sent as a separate supplement to the owners manual this morning and ran across in the specs under "other features" that the 50XR5 employs a "Motion Compensated 3D Scan Converter". It lists all available interlaced signals for this including 1080i. The color brochure on the website says "Motion Adaptive 3D Scan Converter" however.

For those who don't know, motion compensated deinterlacing for 1080i signals is only available in the newest and most expensive external scalers and is just now becoming available. I'm unaware of any other pdp that employs it. Up to now, motion adaptive was the best. The new NEC TheaterSync scaler employs the new Realta chip with the motion compensation and does it as well. This scaler goes for several grand.

If this holds true, it's *great* news for new 50XR5 owners and probably means the 50XR5 has the new Realta chip. It could also explain why I'm no longer using my external scaler.

I'd be very interested in what is says in the model info supplement for the 42XR4 and 61XR4 as well.
post #189 of 4648 Old 01-05-2006, 09:35 AM
DAB
AVS Special Member

CPCAT,
On a side note, I've made a big change with my 50XR5. I took the external scaler out of the loop entirely. Guess what? The picture is better overall!!CAT,

1. How do you remove external scaler out? Is this sperate box. or inside a dvd player ?

2. I get a small pip { same picture} on my screen when i hit the zoom mode. and then click _single pic_ on remote. not understanding what is happening here.

3. i have turn all the menus items down and haven't calibrated until i get the 100hr. mark. It has been mention that calib. a SD feed _comcast_ wasn't of value because each station comes in differently. Any univeral setting here.

4. i want 5 memory setting. a. bright afternoon tv-HD, b. grey afternoon tv- HD c. night dark movie experience- dvd d. night tv movie HD. e. day SD setting.
Any issues i should address ?
db
post #190 of 4648 Old 01-05-2006, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAB View Post

1. How do you remove external scaler out? Is this sperate box. or inside a dvd player ?

I have an external scaler (Lumagen VisionHDP). I simply unhooked it and attached the source (STB, DVD) directly to the TV via the HDMI inputs.
Quote:

2. I get a small pip { same picture} on my screen when i hit the zoom mode. and then click _single pic_ on remote. not understanding what is happening here.

Not sure. You have to have two separate sources hooked up for PIP to function properly though. I've not used PIP much yet.
Quote:

3. i have turn all the menus items down and haven't calibrated until i get the 100hr. mark. It has been mention that calib. a SD feed _comcast_ wasn't of value because each station comes in differently. Any univeral setting here.

No. SD will probably require separate settings for best picture. I just set it up for HD as that's mostly what I watch.
Quote:

4. i want 5 memory setting. a. bright afternoon tv-HD, b. grey afternoon tv- HD c. night dark movie experience- dvd d. night tv movie HD. e. day SD setting.
Any issues i should address ?
db

You just need to set 5 different picture memories. You can then access them by the picture memory button on the remote.
post #191 of 4648 Old 01-05-2006, 10:00 AM
DAB
AVS Special Member

http://www.necvisualsystems.com/Prod...4-61e01e59df43

from NEC.com , the image of the video/HDMI inputs -- side pannel is not the one i have. Europe/Japan model ???
post #192 of 4648 Old 01-05-2006, 10:53 AM
N8G

Quote:

from NEC.com , the image of the video/HDMI inputs -- side pannel is not the one i have. Europe/Japan model ???

I think some of those pictures may be recycled from previous generations. It shows the same picture for the 42XR4 when it has bottom inputs, and the picture of the swivel stand is obviously not the correct pic either. They stand they show doesn't even appear to swivel.
post #193 of 4648 Old 01-05-2006, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post

Hi all

Just received my 50SRX5. Chris ( Cleveland plasma) great job in shipping it safe from such a long distance .
Beautifully designed unit .
Opened the box , opened my brand new oppo . Hooked it up using HDMI.
I am watching bug's life with my 2 yr old .
Simply one word fantastic .............
At times you do get the 3D feeling . Great colors, excellent contrast . No tweaking just default out of box .

Big Mac, I am very interested to learn that you are using a new Oppo with your 50XR5. I was going to buy the Oppo also to go with my 50XR5, but I have hesitated to make a purchase, because of other posts (on the DVD player thread) which indicate that players using the Faroudja chip, like the Oppo, are prone to a phenomenon called "Macroblock Enhancement" (usually abbreviated MB or MBE), especially when used with plasma displays, which is said to be quite noticeable and annoying. Apparently the Oppo works better with some plasmas than with others in this regard. Please let me (us) know how it goes with the Oppo in the next few days of viewing. I was just about to bite the bullet and buy a Pioneer 59avi instead.

By the way, I had a good buying experience with Chris too, but in fairness he does not ship the panels; they come from his warehouse in Seattle directly to your doorstep, if you hadn't noticed, or at least mine did. This is in no way intended as a criticism of Chris or Cleveland Plasma. Chris was patient and helpful throughout the buying process, from ordering to delivery and afterwards.
post #194 of 4648 Old 01-05-2006, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul watkins View Post

Has anyone compared these new NEC's to a Pioneer 5050 or 5060 plasma. What I like most about the pioneers are the rich "punchy" vibrate colors. I also like the "bright" output of the pioneers. Can anyone who has seen both brands do a comparison?

Paul

I am also considering the Pio 5060 vs. the new 50" NEC. It appears that the costs for the components you get (ie stand, speakers, etc.) is comparable, if not higher for the NEC. I would therefore likely opt for the set with the best PQ with a variety of source material. Can anyone directly compare the Pio and the NEC in HD, digital SD, analog SD and/or DVD quality?

BTW: TVAuthority will soon have these for sale. They will be "Picture Perfect" but not "5 Star."
post #195 of 4648 Old 01-05-2006, 03:13 PM

post #196 of 4648 Old 01-05-2006, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viventis View Post

TVAuthority will soon have these for sale. They will be "Picture Perfect" but not "5 Star."

'squze my ignorance, but what is '5 Star'?

Thanks

shane

Edit... oops! Just saw the link on their site. Sorry. Nevermind.

"Yes Eve... I like to watch." - Chauncey Gardener.

My HT Setup:
http://www.fototime.com/A0E2793180FB3D0/orig.jpg
post #197 of 4648 Old 01-05-2006, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony17 View Post

mhfnet, here is a quick pick of the grayscale from AVIA. Again, crappy dvd player via component, but it looks pretty good to me...will try again tomorrow with a good camera

Tony, any luck with the taking a photo of the AVIA Horizontal Gray Ramp pattern? You can upload the photo to the AVSforum photo gallery or send it to me at the email address I PM you. Thanks again.
post #198 of 4648 Old 01-05-2006, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viventis View Post

BTW: TVAuthority will soon have these for sale. They will be "Picture Perfect" but not "5 Star."

Their "5 star" program meaning the following...
____________________________________________________________ ___

TVAuthority's team of industry experts certify a select number of 5-Star Products based on Price, Performance, Availability, service and support. We are so certain that you will like these products, we guarantee it!

1. 30-day risk free guarantee
2. No restocking fee
3. Product Availability - All 5-star products will be in stock within 3 days of your order or you get free ground shipping*
4. Lifetime Technical Support
5. Authorized Dealer Commitment - Your warranty will always be honored, and that you will receive any advertized rebates.
____________________________________________________________ ____
post #199 of 4648 Old 01-05-2006, 07:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpcat View Post

I was reading through the "model information" packet for the 50XR5 which is sent as a separate supplement to the owners manual this morning and ran across in the specs under "other features" that the 50XR5 employs a "Motion Compensated 3D Scan Converter". It lists all available interlaced signals for this including 1080i. The color brochure on the website says "Motion Adaptive 3D Scan Converter" however.

For those who don't know, motion compensated deinterlacing for 1080i signals is only available in the newest and most expensive external scalers and is just now becoming available. I'm unaware of any other pdp that employs it. Up to now, motion adaptive was the best. The new NEC TheaterSync scaler employs the new Realta chip with the motion compensation and does it as well. This scaler goes for several grand.

If this holds true, it's *great* news for new 50XR5 owners and probably means the 50XR5 has the new Realta chip. It could also explain why I'm no longer using my external scaler.

I'd be very interested in what is says in the model info supplement for the 42XR4 and 61XR4 as well.

Here is a good question then: Who would agree that a progressive scan DVD player would look just as good as an upscaling DVD player seeing the NEC has an excellent scaler built in.

Could this be another reason NEC is one of the leaders in plasma technology and even thought they are a little more at first glance compared to some, the value is higher???
post #200 of 4648 Old 01-05-2006, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpcat View Post

I would love to believe that my new 50XR5 has incorporated the Realta chip, but do you really think that NEC would do such a thing and not be trumpeting it from the rooftops? It would give them a tremendous marketing edge over the other 50-inch competition. If anyone can confirm or deny cpcat's analysis, I would like to know too. I can tell from watching SD that it has a darn good de-interlacer/upscaler, but it would be truly remarkable if they are using the Realta.
post #201 of 4648 Old 01-05-2006, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmarkoff View Post

Big Mac, I am very interested to learn that you are using a new Oppo with your 50XR5. I was going to buy the Oppo also to go with my 50XR5, but I have hesitated to make a purchase, because of other posts (on the DVD player thread) which indicate that players using the Faroudja chip, like the Oppo, are prone to a phenomenon called "Macroblock Enhancement" (usually abbreviated MB or MBE), especially when used with plasma displays, which is said to be quite noticeable and annoying. Apparently the Oppo works better with some plasmas than with others in this regard. Please let me (us) know how it goes with the Oppo in the next few days of viewing. I was just about to bite the bullet and buy a Pioneer 59avi instead.

By the way, I had a good buying experience with Chris too, but in fairness he does not ship the panels; they come from his warehouse in Seattle directly to your doorstep, if you hadn't noticed, or at least mine did. This is in no way intended as a criticism of Chris or Cleveland Plasma. Chris was patient and helpful throughout the buying process, from ordering to delivery and afterwards.

Hi,

I have watched 2 movies, bug's life and Batman begins . I did not see any macroblocking . I was focusing mostly on fast moving scenes. So far none , if i come across any over next several days . I will definitely report here .
Chris did a good job . I know he does not ship them directly from Cleveland .Mine was shipped from pennsylvania . He used a good freight company to ship . Overall i had good buying experience from him .
post #202 of 4648 Old 01-05-2006, 08:47 PM

Quote:

I would love to believe that my new 50XR5 has incorporated the Realta chip, but do you really think that NEC would do such a thing and not be trumpeting it from the rooftops?

NEC is a very reputable company . I won't be surprised if they have used this chip and are not bragging . That is so NEC.
post #203 of 4648 Old 01-05-2006, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have the DVI Oppo player (purchased new last summer) which I use with both a pj and a NEC XM2 - no macorblocking whatsoever.
post #204 of 4648 Old 01-05-2006, 10:28 PM
Advanced Member

Are any of you ordering thru online vendors? Can you recommend any? I have found projectorpoint_dot_com to have the lowest price I could find, but I have no idea on their reputability or shipping charge. I would consider buying from a local vendor, but none of the vendors NEC told me were in Indianapolis replied to email. One was no longer in business, most others were business-to-business installation contractors, and the final one has a reputation for being a high-brow, esoteric store and is far more expensive than big-box stores.

This group's enthusiasm for the 50XR5 is contagious, but I have seen no professional published reviews yet. Thought briefly about getting the Visio for about 30% less than the prevailing plasma prices. It has two HDMI's, and is well-reviewed as best bang-for-the-buck. It didn't have screen saving options, nor did it have any extensive calibration, so I've held off.

Let me know about the internet vendors, as I'd love to get one on order quickly. What have lead times been like?

Thank you, this is my first post!

EDIT>>

no price other than MSRP, please. Thanks

Just like you
post #205 of 4648 Old 01-05-2006, 10:44 PM

f.

Let me know about the internet vendors, as I'd love to get one on order quickly. What have lead times been like?

Thank you, this is my first post![/quote]

Most vendors sponsoring the forum would be reliable .
Most people in this thread bought from Cleveland Plasma and have had good experience .
Cleveland plasma link is at the bottom of the page .
post #206 of 4648 Old 01-05-2006, 10:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Welcome, Quinocampa. I think that lead times have been short. I ordered a 42 inch NEC on Wednesday evening and it is due to be delivered on Tuesday. It would have been here sooner but I wanted to wait for the stand to arrive.

I agree with Big Mac. Check out the forum sponsors at the top and bottom of the page. Chris from Cleveland Plasma has been good to deal with thus far and I have had good experience with Visual Apex.

Be careful about posting prices other than MSRP. The mods will usually delete the prices.
post #207 of 4648 Old 01-05-2006, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinocampa View Post

Are any of you ordering thru online vendors? Can you recommend any? I have found projectorpoint_dot_com to have the lowest price . . .

Quinocampa, welcome to the forum. First thing you need to do is edit your post to remove the pricing information. Forum policy is to adhere to MSRP's only.

I believe that almost all of us who provided the user input above have orders from Chris at Cleveland Plasma. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.

My advice would be to follow those who have had successful buying experiences for the product you are looking for.
post #208 of 4648 Old 01-05-2006, 11:07 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Sorry about the late catch, and thanks.
post #209 of 4648 Old 01-05-2006, 11:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeJR View Post

Quinocampa, welcome to the forum. First thing you need to do is edit your post to remove the pricing information. Forum policy is to adhere to MSRP's only.

Okay, thanks for the heads up. I did read the obligatory agreement when registering, but must have missed this point. If you don't mind, could you briefly expound on the philosophy of this policy? We are all consumers, and I thought finding the "best" vendor from service/price/support standpoints would be a hot topic. I am here first to get the best PQ and performance from my future plasma, so I'm not going to cry about not being able to talk price. Am just curious.

Just like you
post #210 of 4648 Old 01-06-2006, 12:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinocampa View Post

This group's enthusiasm for the 50XR5 is contagious, but I have seen no professional published reviews yet.

Read enough of these posts and you will see members here are nothin but

Professional
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Harman Kardon Avr 235 7 1 Channel Audio Video Surround Receiver

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page