Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 512 Old 09-21-2006, 07:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmc831 View Post

Mind elaborating on the pixelating issue? I've been having a few issues with my hp95, occasionally the picture start showing green or red pixels all over the screen, plus this weekend the picture would just black out occasionally requiring a hard reboot.
It's in a second room and probably only has 100 hours or less since December, rarely used....but I'm starting to think I need to call Toshiba as I was hoping it was either the old HD receiver or cable that was causing the problem.

Hi wsmc831,

I have had numerous pixellating issues with my 42HP95. I think if you click on my name on this forum, you can read all my posts about this issue, as not to try to recreate them here. In a nutshell, though, I have Comcast digital cable, I choose to use a cable card (which is part of the pixillating problem, interestingly enough), and I have the latest versions of the Toshiba firmware (1.3.2) installed on my TV.

I would suggest you call them and speak with a tech support person. I have had mostly good experiences when I have called Toshiba (and there are many of us on this forum who have had unfortunate experiences with them). Check to see which firmware version you have installed, and you may also want to inquire if your cable company has altered any of their programming, video signals, etc. in the times you have noticed this issue. For example, Comcast just recently had a free Starz channel weekend. I had to do a re-boot of the TV because I was getting the pixillating, coincidentally on the same day as the beginning of the free Starz weekend. My theory as to why? Because my cable card works "one way" (e.g can receive input from Comcast but not send info back, which if you use a cable box there is two way communication between your TV and your provider). So, my theory is that my cable card needed a 're-set" when Comcast sent through the Starz signal for the free weekend. The re-boots do rectify the issue, it is just a nuisance to then have to re-program the TVGOS, my personal brightness settings, etc.

Hope this is of some help. I am limited in my feedback, because I choose to use a cable card (one time fee to Comcast), so my problems with my 42HP95 have had somewhat of a narrow scope. I have been told that if I switch to a cable box, the pixillating will go away. But that will just get me started on my rants about paying even more for cable, and monthly fees, and the reasons why the FCC required cable companies to offer their consumers another means at receiving their signals besides a box (hence the cable card), but them we get issues like pixillating.

Good luck, and keep us posted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 512 Old 09-21-2006, 12:33 PM

Appreciate the info, will do a bit of searching on your post. My setup is much simpler. Samsung HD receiver with Direct TV, dvi to hdmi converter to hdmi input on tv.

I suppose I need to change the video source and really cross out any other possible causes, but I've been waiting for the new HR20 to move the H10 over to this set.

But I'm thinking I should at least call tech support and get my first contact documented, it's only about 8 months old and probably has 50 hours on it....
post #363 of 512 Old 09-21-2006, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmc831 View Post

Mind elaborating on the pixelating issue? I've been having a few issues with my hp95, occasionally the picture start showing green or red pixels all over the screen, plus this weekend the picture would just black out occasionally requiring a hard reboot.
It's in a second room and probably only has 100 hours or less since December, rarely used....but I'm starting to think I need to call Toshiba as I was hoping it was either the old HD receiver or cable that was causing the problem.

The pixelation I was having sounds to be quite different from yours. On mine, I was getting pixelation and blocks all over the picture and the picture and sound would be intermittent. Sears, after a few months waiting on the part, replaced a circuit board which I believe is a video board, and this seems to have fixed those problems.

However, I still cannot get the TV, with a cable card installed, to receive the scrambled HD channels. It will bring in the local stations' unscrambled HD channels, but it will do that with just the cable by itself.

post #364 of 512 Old 09-23-2006, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrot View Post

A quick update on my situation with my 42HP95. While I was trying to make a final decision on either getting a replacement TV, or the refund, lo and behold, the video circuit board finally arrived from Sears. So I told them come on out and replace it, which they did.

Well, now I am getting the unscrambled HD channels on Cox cable without any of the horrible pixelation and blackouts I was getting before. The HD picture really is outstanding. The only thing is, it did work like this for a month or so when I first got the set. So, I am hesitant to tell Toshiba it is fully fixed.

As to the cable card, I tried it again, and it does the same thing where it says "aquiring channels", but never seems to finish. However, I have not re-contacted Cox yet to get them to make sure everything is set right on their end. I will call them next week to try that again.

I am still in somewhat of a quandry with the cable card not working, because the picture is so darn good that I don't really want to lose the set. I could always just get a cable box for it. Plus, it does have the memory card slots as well.

Well, in just the last couple of days the picture on HD channels is pixelating again, just like it did about a month after I first got the TV. The pixelation is intermittent, occurs at varying parts of the picture, and the audio drops out during the break ups.

I really thought and hoped that the new circuit board was going to permanently fix it. There is apparently just some deficiency in these Toshiba plasmas. The TV with cable card still will not display the digital HD channels such as ESPNHD.

I guess it is past time to give up on it and take the refund.

post #365 of 512 Old 09-29-2006, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

I spoke with Toshiba today, and they are going to pick up the set and send me a refund check, to arrive in 5-6 weeks. I must say, Toshiba customer service was very helpful and responsive regarding the problems with my TV.

BTW, I briefly looked at plasmas today, including Panasonic, LG, HP, Samsung, and Toshiba. I have to say, I saw various drawbacks to all of them. Some exhibit too much clay face. Some seem too gritty. The Panny was pixelating just like my Toshiba, giving me pause about getting a Panny. Ideally, I'd like to get into a 50" plasma. This TV will go on the wall in the bedroom.

The new 46" Sony LCD looks pretty darn good. Any suggestions for a replacement? I need to be able to get it for around $2700 or less.

post #366 of 512 Old 10-12-2006, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

They picked up the Toshiba today. The check from Toshiba is to arrive in 4-6 weeks. Now my wife wants another flat screen up on the wall, pronto! Decisions, decisions...

post #367 of 512 Old 10-25-2006, 12:30 AM

is there any way so that when you turn the set on the tvguide
does not show up?

thanks
post #368 of 512 Old 10-25-2006, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolamoto View Post

is there any way so that when you turn the set on the tvguide
does not show up?

thanks

You can turn the autoguide feature on or off in the General settings of the the tvguide Setup menu.
post #369 of 512 Old 10-27-2006, 08:06 AM

Two nights ago, the picture suddenly disappeared. After flipping channels and trying various inputs we only got some unwatchable black and white images rolling across the screen and some flashing images. After reading some comments on the Internet, I tried unplugging the TV and after plugging it back in, the picture returned and worked fine all day yesterday. I probably shoud have requested a service call before doing the unplug procedure because now there isn't anything for a service tech to see. Any thoughts on what might be happening?
post #370 of 512 Old 10-27-2006, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

They picked up the Toshiba today. The check from Toshiba is to arrive in 4-6 weeks. Now my wife wants another flat screen up on the wall, pronto! Decisions, decisions...

Well, I can scarcely believe it myself, but I ended up with another Tosh, the 50HP66from BB. With the price they had on it, I just couldn't pass it up.

I spent literally hours comparing the Tosh HP66 side by side with the Panny 50" and the Hitachi 55". The Panny may have a bit better color decoding(the Tosh seems to push green), but there is no "clay face" on the Tosh, while the Panny is prone to it. I know the Hitachi is supposed to be good, but it just never looked as good to me as the Tosh. The Hitachi seemed to have a grittiness to the image, which I could not eradicate by decreasing the sharpness. I also couldn't see paying the $900 extra for the 5" difference in size.

The 50HP66 is occaisionally pixelating on the HD unscrambled cable channels, just like the 42HP95 did, and numerous of the Pannys were pixelating at BB on their channel 15.1 digital feed. But the audio is not dropping out like it did with the 42HP95. I am now starting to think it is a signal problem that is causing this pixelation, and not defective tuners. I am not sure at all, though.

The HD picture is quite good, though, at least as good as the 42HP95. I think the added resolution vs the 42" helps(1366x768 vs. 1024x768).

Lastly, since the 50HP66 has no cable card slot, I am just going to go on and get a HD cable box and use HDMI or component connection, depending on which gives the better picture.

post #371 of 512 Old 10-27-2006, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hddude55 View Post

Two nights ago, the picture suddenly disappeared. After flipping channels and trying various inputs we only got some unwatchable black and white images rolling across the screen and some flashing images. After reading some comments on the Internet, I tried unplugging the TV and after plugging it back in, the picture returned and worked fine all day yesterday. I probably shoud have requested a service call before doing the unplug procedure because now there isn't anything for a service tech to see. Any thoughts on what might be happening?

Help!!
post #372 of 512 Old 11-01-2006, 02:27 PM

Well, that has hapenned to me twice now in about a year. Both times just unplugging the set fixed the problem. The first time it seemd to coincide with something that the cable company did. This is anecdotal, but whatever they did the first time coincided with another person using a cablce card losing their video. They were told that the cablce card had to be reset, which is what lead me to try unplugging the set. Hoefully you willnever see this again, or at least not for a long, long time.
post #373 of 512 Old 11-08-2006, 10:42 AM
ADG

I am using a Comcast Cable Card. When I attempt to hook-up a Fiber Optic Audio Cable from the TV to my surround sound system I get no sound. In accessing the Audio panel on set-up the field for digital selection is grayed out with dolby digital selected and cannot be accessed. Toshiba support said it was the cable card and basically nothing I could do. I have hooked up analog cables and the sound is pretty good.........I just thought the Fiber Optic connection would be better. Any thoughts how this is easily resolved. Thanks.
post #374 of 512 Old 11-08-2006, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Seems to me that Dolby Digital would be the correct selection for you. I don't see why the TV is not sending a 5.1 Dolby Digital signal to your receiver via optical digital cable. Are you sure your receiver is set to the correct input?

post #375 of 512 Old 11-08-2006, 08:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADG View Post

I am using a Comcast Cable Card. When I attempt to hook-up a Fiber Optic Audio Cable from the TV to my surround sound system I get no sound. In accessing the Audio panel on set-up the field for digital selection is grayed out with dolby digital selected and cannot be accessed. Toshiba support said it was the cable card and basically nothing I could do. I have hooked up analog cables and the sound is pretty good.........I just thought the Fiber Optic connection would be better. Any thoughts how this is easily resolved. Thanks.

Make sure your input/outputs are set to bitstream.

President and active member of the A.D.F.F. (Anti-Dakota Fanning Foundation)
post #376 of 512 Old 11-11-2006, 03:42 PM

Hello,

I'm new to the AVS forums.

My brother directed me to these forums in order to find professional picture settings for my Toshiba 42HP95. I've used the search engine for the site and after almost 20 minutes I still can't find the post.

If someone knows these settings or can direct me to the post it wuld be greatly appreciated.

My setup besides the TV is an Xbox 360 with the HD DVD drive through component and an old kenwood 5.1 setup.

I'm loving my new HD DVD drive, but I want to make sure the TV is setup for the best possible picture it can display.

Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #377 of 512 Old 11-30-2006, 06:03 AM

Hi everyone,
Well, as I continued to sporadically have pixelating/"tiling" issues with my 42HP95, I got a call aout of the blue from Toshiba about two weeks ago telling me that they were going to send me yet another firmware update, version 1.3.4 that is suposed to fix the pixellating issues. Well, I received the firmware and installed it on Monday 11/27. I bet you can guess how the rest of this post will go:

Yep, I got pixellating last night, Wednesday the 29th. Time to place another call to Toshiba to inform them. Granted, a simple re-boot continues to fix the isuses, and calls for setting up (again) the TVGOS, the input labeling, and the picture preferences for all the inputs. Maybe a minor inconvenience. but it leaves me to wonder if this is just an inherited problem, with no final solution.

Mtrot - - how is your new Toshiba holding up?

Happy holidays to all,

Mr. Breeze
post #378 of 512 Old 11-30-2006, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Breeze View Post

Hi everyone,
Well, as I continued to sporadically have pixelating/"tiling" issues with my 42HP95, I got a call aout of the blue from Toshiba about two weeks ago telling me that they were going to send me yet another firmware update, version 1.3.4 that is suposed to fix the pixellating issues. Well, I received the firmware and installed it on Monday 11/27. I bet you can guess how the rest of this post will go:

Yep, I got pixellating last night, Wednesday the 29th. Time to place another call to Toshiba to inform them. Granted, a simple re-boot continues to fix the isuses, and calls for setting up (again) the TVGOS, the input labeling, and the picture preferences for all the inputs. Maybe a minor inconvenience. but it leaves me to wonder if this is just an inherited problem, with no final solution.

Mtrot - - how is your new Toshiba holding up?

Happy holidays to all,

Mr. Breeze

Mr. Breeze,

Well, it continued to pixelate on the HD local channels, using the QAM tuner to pick them up off the SuddenLink cable. SuddenLink even came out and ran a new cable from the box out by the street to the junction box on the wall of the house. He said the old cable was really old type and needed to be replaced. I think this did help some with the pixelation, but there was still some. Apparently, the tuner in the Toshiba TVs is not very compatable with SuddenLink's signal.

The good news is that after I finally broke down and went with a HD box (connected via component cables), no pixelation whatsoever, other than the normal blocking and compression artifacts of the HD broadcast itself. And I get ESPNHD, DiscoveryHD, HDNet, etc.

I'd have to say in terms of resolution, the 50HP66 is noticeable better than the 42HP95; I think that is due to its 1366x720 resolution vs the 1024x720 of the 42 incher. The HP66 looks great on sports, but there is some banding problems on movies or TV images with a bright light or color against a dark background, but I have seen this with other plasmas as well. There is no fan, which makes it much quieter than the HP95. Channel changing is agonizingly slow with the TV tuner, but no longer an issue since I am using the quick changing cable box.

post #379 of 512 Old 12-04-2006, 11:13 AM

Hey everyone. I have a Toshiba 50HP82 about 3 years old, and it started with an on-screen black vertical bar and it won't go away. Does anyone know if this is an expensive fix or is it something that is very cost prohibitive?

post #380 of 512 Old 12-06-2006, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vectorz View Post

Hey everyone. I have a Toshiba 50HP82 about 3 years old, and it started with an on-screen black vertical bar and it won't go away. Does anyone know if this is an expensive fix or is it something that is very cost prohibitive?

Please don't hijack this thread. Note the topic of this lengthy thread has nothing to do with your set.
post #381 of 512 Old 12-12-2006, 08:42 AM

I posted this same question on the OPPO 971HD thread but haven't received any comments. So, I'm trying on this thread. Hope this is ok.

My setup is 971HD -> 42HPX95 via DVI/HDMI. Besides some occasional macroblocking, the picture quality has been great -- not quite HD but very very close. Thus far I have been using the eyeballing method to calibrate my tv but last week decided to give AVIA a try. I have to say the picture got improved quite a bit. It has more of a "POP" factor to it now. My question is with the Zone Plate 30 fps, hi/lo Bit Rate tests. You know the ones where a pattern that looks similar to the "Sharpness" pattern but moves around on the screen. Man, I tell you, I got dizzy watching this pattern. The lines in the pattern were like doubled or tripled as it moved around. What can I do to get a smooth image during these tests?

Thanks in advance.
post #382 of 512 Old 12-26-2006, 07:29 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Can someone tell me how I can upgrade the firmware on my 42hpx95? How do I get the upgrade and then load it on my TV?
post #383 of 512 Old 12-26-2006, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeat2000 View Post

Can someone tell me how I can upgrade the firmware on my 42hpx95? How do I get the upgrade and then load it on my TV?

Yeah, you call Toshiba cust. service, and they send you a SD card with the firmware on it. Then you put the card in the card reader on the TV and follow instructions.

post #384 of 512 Old 12-27-2006, 03:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:

Yeah, you call Toshiba cust. service, and they send you a SD card with the firmware on it. Then you put the card in the card reader on the TV and follow instructions.

I called Toshiba about my 42hpx95, and they said that they will only send out the firmware update to people using Cable Card (which I'm not). Does the firmware update fix any other aspect of the TV?

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, etc.
post #385 of 512 Old 12-28-2006, 07:34 AM

Pbarach, what is the Toshiba customer number you used to talk to a real person? I need to get hold of the latest f/w.
post #386 of 512 Old 12-28-2006, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brol View Post

Pbarach, what is the Toshiba customer number you used to talk to a real person? I need to get hold of the latest f/w.

I called 800-631-3811 and followed the menu prompts to get help with TV's.

post #387 of 512 Old 12-28-2006, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

My SA8300HD cable box has HDMI and component video outputs, as well as S-video. I know that I can connect the cable box to my 42hpx95 TV and use the IR blaster to change channels on the box while viewing the TV Guide Onscreen screens. Unfortunately, it looks like the TV Guide setup requires me to have the cable box connected to an ANT input, which accepts S-video at best.

Does anyone know of a workaround that will let me operate the TV Guide screens to change channels on my cable box while viewing the cable signal through an HDMI or component connection?

post #388 of 512 Old 12-28-2006, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I see the 42hpx95 is now being sold by a few refurbished outlets and I am interested but...
Anyone here order one (or a plasma) from a refurbished outlet and how was it (which company did you by from)? I really think the plasma but worry about ti being refurbished and bought over the internet. What do you all think?
post #389 of 512 Old 12-29-2006, 05:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtishd View Post

I see the 42hpx95 is now being sold by a few refurbished outlets and I am interested but...
Anyone here order one (or a plasma) from a refurbished outlet and how was it (which company did you by from)? I really think the plasma but worry about ti being refurbished and bought over the internet. What do you all think?

I've never bought anything refurbished. But concerning a plasma set, I would be concerned about burn-in. A plasma set is not an item I'd buy refurbished, unless it was very easy to return (e.g., somebody else comes to pack it up and haul away the massive TV!).

post #390 of 512 Old 01-07-2007, 04:35 PM

Does anyone know what the lastest firmware upgrade fixes? Or even better, a history of the firware fixes?
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page