post #451 of 512 Old 05-28-2009, 10:19 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post

Some people have suggested that Blu-Ray doesn't make a noticeable improvement on 720p sets like these Toshiba plasma models, as compared to watching a regular DVD. What have other people found?

That's an odd statement.

Doesn't broadcast HD look significantly better than SD on a 720p set.

The difference is very apparent on all but the smallest of HD screens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 512 Old 06-06-2009, 06:15 PM

Liked: 10
I fixed my set last night. It had the no power/flashing red light problem. I need help from some of the rest of you who are having the same no power/flashing light issue. I want to post a solution and tutorial, but I want to make sure this is a common enough problem first.

I need at least one or two people who are willing to work on their own set, but this won't require any technical knowledge. I'll take pictures and guide you through the process. I just need to know if it works for someone else.
post #453 of 512 Old 06-15-2009, 08:55 PM
Advanced Member

Well, now that the transition to DTV has happened, I hooked up the DTVpal as described in the manual and it did indeed work. The only problem was that it only works (as I expected) with the DTVpal's own SD tuner. I can see the reason for using this for an old analog DVR or VCR, but to use it with the Toshiba's built-in tuner and Symbio HD DVR is almost useless! I just reset the guide settings and am just going to try gmucklow's other method, without the g-link and setting the DTVpal to the CBS affiliate.

You guys reporting that this works,
are you using the converted TV guide to control the TV's own HD tuner?
If so, How?
post #454 of 512 Old 06-16-2009, 08:28 PM
Advanced Member

It works fine as in gmucklow's procedure, but there's on more step to make it work for me the same as before.

I found that going through the DTVpal and getting all the listings, it still can't tune in the HD channels using the guide. My fix was to split the incoming antenna signal, have one output going to the DTVpal, the other to the TV via a combiner. Then the output of the Pal goes to the other input of the combiner. The output of the combiner then feeds both the unaltered antenna signal mixed with analog channel 3 or 4 from the Pal to the TV.
This gives the same functionality as before except that the guide gets populated in only a few hours instead of days!

I hope this helps some of you.
post #455 of 512 Old 06-26-2009, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DidHeFocus View Post

It works fine as in gmucklow's procedure, but there's on more step to make it work for me the same as before.

I found that going through the DTVpal and getting all the listings, it still can't tune in the HD channels using the guide. My fix was to split the incoming antenna signal, have one output going to the DTVpal, the other to the TV via a combiner. Then the output of the Pal goes to the other input of the combiner. The output of the combiner then feeds both the unaltered antenna signal mixed with analog channel 3 or 4 from the Pal to the TV.
This gives the same functionality as before except that the guide gets populated in only a few hours instead of days!

I hope this helps some of you.

I can see how you would need this type of setup if you only had one TV input. Is that the case? In my case the TV has two RF (TV) inputs and a composite video input, each of which can be used as the TVGOS input signal (however, only one can be selected during TVGOS setup as the source for TVGOS).

My original setup with the DTVPal used antenna #2 input as the TVGOS input from the simulated cable box (channel 3). When doing this setup procedure I configured TVGOS that antenna #1 was connected to an antenna and of course antenna #2 was connected to a cable box. After a few hours I had digital channels listed in the channel grid and could select from antenna #1 and from the simulated cable box channels. I did have to edit the cable box channels to reflect the expected cable box numbers. Like you I was unable to pick up the antenna #2 digital channels because of the strong RF coming from the DTVPal converter for channel 3. These antenna #2 digital channels weren't listed in the TVGOS grid anyway.

I considered doing something like you did but found it much easier to reconfigure TVGOS using my TV's composite input #1. Just took the DTVPal composite output and did not use the channel 3 RF output at all. Now I can get all of the digital TV channels on antenna #1 and #2 inputs and the simulated cable channels on the composite video input #1. However, I don't think I will be watching the simulated cable channels since the HD digital channels are working fine coming from antenna #1 and these channels are listed in the converted DTVPal TVGOS listings.

Just my 2 cents worth.
post #456 of 512 Old 07-01-2009, 11:38 PM
Advanced Member

TVGOS was working fine 'till a few days ago. Now I don't even get the correct time!
post #457 of 512 Old 07-04-2009, 10:21 AM

Hi All,
New to the forum. I have a 42HP95 on my home bench. Power LED blinking issue.I have d/l the service manual but it doesn't have troubleshooting logic diagrams. My insticts tell me it may be a power supply issue.
Any and all comments would be greatly apprciated. Built 2005.

Olesalt
post #458 of 512 Old 07-06-2009, 05:41 PM

I have a Toshiba 42HP95 with TVGOS version 08.01.53
I am considering getting the DTVPal Plus so that I can receive the TV Guide data.
But I have some questions:

1) Is this the only converter box that can be used for this purpose?

2) Once I have set it up, can I use the TV Guide as I used to? I mean can I press "enter" on the TV remote after highlighting a particular channel in the guide and have the TV go to that channel? The reason I ask this is because if I am looking at the TV guide then I am receiving the signal through the antena input connected to the box and when I want to go to a channel, that would imply switching to the other antena input (the one connected directly to the antena). I wonder if the TV can make this switching from one input to another automatically.
3) I have read in the previous posts about using a different type of input (composite?) for the TVGOS. I wonder if that would make a difference with respect to using the TVGOS to tune the digital channels.
post #459 of 512 Old 07-07-2009, 11:25 PM
Advanced Member

The DTVpal may be the only solution but I'm not sure. I think I saw another converter box advertising analog tvgos compatibility, but I don't remember where I saw it or what the brand was.
It is possible to get it working as originally intended and I had it going for almost 2 weeks, but the guide disappeared a few days ago and didn't come back.
I hooked it up as in the DTVpal's manual using g-link ir cables and it did return, but the guide was only somewhat useful to control and view the DTVpal like a cable box. Not acceptable when I have an HD tuner and HD recorder built in to the Toshiba.

I tried the composite and the antenna inputs with the DTVpal and both had the same result for me.
The only way I got my original functionality back was using it as I described in post #454. Basically you tune the Pal to the local channel broadcasting TVGOS, switch it over to TV Guide mode and leave it alone.
Then make sure the TV scans the channels to pick up the pal on channel 3 or 4. Run the TV guide setup on the TV and use your real zip code, don't tell it you have a cable box and the g-link cable isn't needed either.
post #460 of 512 Old 07-11-2009, 11:46 PM
Advanced Member

I'm happy to report that my guide listings are finally back.
I ended up setting up the DTVpal using the G-Link IR cable, video 1 input, and my real zip code.
post #461 of 512 Old 07-19-2009, 09:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

I ended up setting up the DTVpal using the G-Link IR cable, video 1 input, and my real zip code.

Along similar lines, I also have guide listings with the DTVPal, ANT1 input, G-Link IR cable, and, unfortunately, a zip code from a neighboring DMA (whose CBS affiliate I can get OTA). For some reason my local CBS affiliate's TVGOS data does not work with the DTVPAl.
post #462 of 512 Old 07-20-2009, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Pascual View Post

I have a Toshiba 42HP95 with TVGOS version 08.01.53
I am considering getting the DTVPal Plus so that I can receive the TV Guide data.
But I have some questions:

1) Is this the only converter box that can be used for this purpose?

2) Once I have set it up, can I use the TV Guide as I used to? I mean can I press "enter" on the TV remote after highlighting a particular channel in the guide and have the TV go to that channel? The reason I ask this is because if I am looking at the TV guide then I am receiving the signal through the antena input connected to the box and when I want to go to a channel, that would imply switching to the other antena input (the one connected directly to the antena). I wonder if the TV can make this switching from one input to another automatically.
3) I have read in the previous posts about using a different type of input (composite?) for the TVGOS. I wonder if that would make a difference with respect to using the TVGOS to tune the digital channels.

1) I believe there is at least one other converter box that can be used like the DTVPal for conversion of the the TVGOS data. Here is the website for it: (EDIT can't post URL until I have more posts.) Find the website for the ARTEC converter model T3APRT (I think that's the model; check on Google).
The price is similar to the DTVPal and is also eligible for the $40 government issused coupon.

2) In my DTVPal setup, the normal digital channels that were listed before the analog cutoff are still listed along with the converter box channels (converted digital to analog). These converted channels are on input #1 of my Toshiba TV. If the last TV channel selected is an converter box channel coming through input #1 and the viewer wants to select a digital channel from input #0 (antenna), all the viewer needs to do is highlight the channel of choice from the TV Guide and press the Enter key. The TV will automatically change the input from input #1 to input #0 and display the correct TV channel.

3) In your last question about the TV input (or DTVPal output) from composite (input #1 in my TV's case), both methods will work as indicated in msg 454 and in 455. I just found it easier to connect the DTVPal composite output to my TV's composite input #1.

Since I have been using the DTVPal to supply the TVGuide for my Toshiba TV it has worked flawlessly! It quickly gets the time and guide data back when I have accidently cut the power to the DTVPal. I went on vacation recently and turned off a power strip to my computer where the DTVPal power was plugged into. It took me a few minutes to realize why I didn't have any new guide data. Within minutes after restoring the DTVPal power source the TV had the correct time and about four hours later I had new listings in the TVGuide.

My second DTVPal is my backup for my Sony DHG HDD250 recorder with TVGuide. So far my Sony is getting the digital TVGOS data without problems but many others are having lots of problems. It should work as well with the Sony, I hope. The DTVPal so far has made my digital life a little easier.
post #463 of 512 Old 07-27-2009, 12:22 AM
Advanced Member

I still have the guide, but it seems to reset every few days giving me a blank guide and a message saying it's "...getting new guide data due to the changes I made". I don't make any changes, but the guide usually comes back the next day.

Anyone else experiencing this?
post #464 of 512 Old 07-27-2009, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taser1984 View Post

I fixed my set last night. It had the no power/flashing red light problem. I need help from some of the rest of you who are having the same no power/flashing light issue. I want to post a solution and tutorial, but I want to make sure this is a common enough problem first.

I need at least one or two people who are willing to work on their own set, but this won't require any technical knowledge. I'll take pictures and guide you through the process. I just need to know if it works for someone else.

So, how did you fix it? Everything was fine last night. The picture was still very good, even in today's standard (imho). This mormingI pressed the power button on the remote and there it goes the flashing red led of death.
post #465 of 512 Old 07-27-2009, 08:39 AM

I also am experiencing the blinking red light. Last night I went to turn on my set and there it is! I plan on taking it to a local electronics repair place since they do free evaluations, but based on what I have read hear it does not look promising . It is a shame too, I really liked my set.
post #466 of 512 Old 08-07-2009, 11:43 AM

Has anyone found a resolution to this problem? We are experiencing the same thing with our Toshiba 42HPX95. No picture or sound and the power red LED light blinks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by olesalt View Post

Hi All,
New to the forum. I have a 42HP95 on my home bench. Power LED blinking issue.I have d/l the service manual but it doesn't have troubleshooting logic diagrams. My insticts tell me it may be a power supply issue.
Any and all comments would be greatly apprciated. Built 2005.

Olesalt

post #467 of 512 Old 08-07-2009, 10:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taser1984 View Post

This guy, with only ONE post to his name, claims to have a fix. But can't post the fix until enough people show interest.

Hey taser1984,

I think there's enough interest for your "fix". Please post it for them if it really exists.
post #468 of 512 Old 08-08-2009, 09:11 AM

Quote:

Would you please explain in detail how you have this configured?

I have mine set to split the antenna input and send one half to antenna 2 input and the other through the DTVPal to the antenna 1 input. DTVPal has my correct zip code and is set in TVGuide mode. On the TV in the TVGOS setup, I said I have a cable box and my zip code is 00002 (fake zip for Los Angeles). I get the TV Guide updates, but only for the cable box. I want to get the updates for the OTA antenna 2 channels, which are currently missing.
post #469 of 512 Old 08-09-2009, 01:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcolling View Post

Would you please explain in detail how you have this configured?

I have mine set to split the antenna input and send one half to antenna 2 input and the other through the DTVPal to the antenna 1 input. DTVPal has my correct zip code and is set in TVGuide mode. On the TV in the TVGOS setup, I said I have a cable box and my zip code is 00002 (fake zip for Los Angeles). I get the TV Guide updates, but only for the cable box. I want to get the updates for the OTA antenna 2 channels, which are currently missing.

Use your actual zip code on both the TV and the Pal, not the fake one from the manual.
You're probably fine leaving your antenna cabling the way it is, but connect the pal to video 1 also using composite out from the Pal.
In the TVGOS setup: set to cable box in video 1. G-link cable connected, Scientific Atlanta code 085, antenna on antenna 2.
That's my settings, it works well, except for my guide data going away about once a week or so and coming back on its own within a day. The message it gives says it is getting new guide data due to my changes. Of course, I didn't make any changes.
Hope that helps, let us know your results.
post #470 of 512 Old 08-09-2009, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 99
If you have a cable box with DVR features, then you don't need TV Guide to program your machine. If you have any cable box at all, then you will have a program guide as part of your cable services. And if you have no cable box, you can look up TV schedules on various websites such as titantv.com or tvguide.com, which you can certainly access if you are reading this forum.

Even before analog TV signals shut down, I found that the TV Guide interface was so cumbersome that it wasn't worth the trouble. YMMV, though...

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, etc.
post #471 of 512 Old 08-10-2009, 12:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post

If you have a cable box with DVR features, then you don't need TV Guide to program your machine. If you have any cable box at all, then you will have a program guide as part of your cable services. And if you have no cable box, you can look up TV schedules on various websites such as titantv.com or tvguide.com, which you can certainly access if you are reading this forum.

Even before analog TV signals shut down, I found that the TV Guide interface was so cumbersome that it wasn't worth the trouble. YMMV, though...

No cable box, no cable, no dish, OTA only. We just make the TV think it has a cable box to supply the TV guide data from the DTVPal converter box. Without TVGOS this TV has NO program info, not even EPG.
In my case, I have a Symbio HD DVR that works only with Toshiba TVs with a Firewire port such as my 42HP95. It MUST have the TVGOS or it has to be programmed manually, which is a PITA. TVGOS is a perfect, useful, FREE solution for OTA only TV viewers like me.
post #472 of 512 Old 08-10-2009, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:

No cable box, no cable, no dish, OTA only. We just make the TV think it has a cable box to supply the TV guide data from the DTVPal converter box. Without TVGOS this TV has NO program info, not even EPG.

I can see why you'd want it then. But for me, the TVGOS interface is the true PITA, which is why if I were in your situation I'd check my program listings online. But that's just me...

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, etc.
post #473 of 512 Old 08-10-2009, 07:48 PM

I got the blinking red light of death tonight.

Where is the solution?
post #474 of 512 Old 08-10-2009, 10:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmucklow View Post

I got the blinking red light of death tonight.

Where is the solution?

Sorry to here it.
post #475 of 512 Old 08-11-2009, 08:37 AM

Quote:

Use your actual zip code on both the TV and the Pal, not the fake one from the manual.
You're probably fine leaving your antenna cabling the way it is, but connect the pal to video 1 also using composite out from the Pal.
In the TVGOS setup: set to cable box in video 1. G-link cable connected, Scientific Atlanta code 085, antenna on antenna 2.
That's my settings, it works well, except for my guide data going away about once a week or so and coming back on its own within a day. The message it gives says it is getting new guide data due to my changes. Of course, I didn't make any changes.
Hope that helps, let us know your results.

This is not working for me. On Sunday, I set the TV and DTVPal as follows:

1. The antenna is split with one half going to the DTVPal and the other half to the TV antenna 2 input.
2. The DTVPal is now connected to the TV via the Video 1 input (antenna 1 is no longer connected).
3. GLink is connected from TV to DTVPal.

On Monday I had no data. I assumed I set something wrong, so on Monday, I did the following:

1. Reset the TV to factory defaults.
2. In TVGOS setup, set cable input with cable box, Scientific Atlanta, on video 1. Antenna on antenna 2. I used my zip code.
3. On Pal, I set my zip code and put in TVGOS mode.

Again today, I have no TVGOS data.

Can anyone see what I am doing wrong? Before, I had the same setup, but with the DTVPal connected to anntenna 1 input, and received data but only for the cable box and not for antenna 2.
post #476 of 512 Old 08-11-2009, 02:37 PM
Advanced Member

Give it another day, it sometimes takes a while. Are you even getting the correct time?
What city are you in? Maybe your CBS affiliate is not broadcasting the guide properly.
post #477 of 512 Old 08-12-2009, 11:24 AM

Quote:

Give it another day, it sometimes takes a while. Are you even getting the correct time?
What city are you in? Maybe your CBS affiliate is not broadcasting the guide properly.

Last night, I changed the TV to use the fake zip code of 00002 and this morning I had the listings again, but only for the cable channels. At this point, I think everything is physically connected correctly and I am successfully receiving the signal. I just can't understand why I do not get the OTA channels.

I set the TV back to my real zip code (92570) and will see if I have any listings tomorrow.
post #478 of 512 Old 08-15-2009, 07:18 AM

I have had two days of success where I received not only the cable box channels, but the OTA channels as well.

I also have a theory as to why I am having problems receiving the information.

The connection is as DidHeFocus describes. The antenna feed is split with one half going to the TV on antenna 2, and the other half going to the DTVPal. The DTVPal can be connected to the TV via antenna 1 or video 1; it does not really matter.

Setup for the DTVPal and TV are as described in the manual except that the TV should be set for the user's real zip code and not the fake one listed in the DTVPal manual. If you set the fake zip, you will only get the cable box channels. If you set your real zip, you will get both.

As to why I was having the problem: The DTVPal is made by Dish and I have Dish satellite service with a Dish DVR where the DVR's remote also controls the DTVPal. What was happening was I would set up the TV and DTVPal, and then watch Dish for a while before shutting things off. While switching the DVR, I would reset the DTVPal. On the occasions where I actually received the information, I configured the DTVPal just before turning off the TV and going to bed. Today I plan to cover the IR input on the DTVPal so only the GLink cable can access it to verify that this is really the problem.

So, at this point I am good to go!

DidHeFocus, thanks for your help getting me setup and running.
post #479 of 512 Old 08-21-2009, 05:48 AM

Found one temp solution that worked on mine. Unplug the HDTV Tuner so that the set does not know about the error. The blinking red light goes away -- Now I can at least use all the other inputs, but sound from the DTVPal Plus on the Video 1 input does not record on my Symbio. See URL:

http://www.fixya.com/support/t101749..._off_turn_back
post #480 of 512 Old 09-15-2009, 12:58 PM

Quote:

I still have the guide, but it seems to reset every few days giving me a blank guide and a message saying it's "...getting new guide data due to the changes I made". I don't make any changes, but the guide usually comes back the next day.

Anyone else experiencing this?

I used to experience this a lot with my Toshiba TV before the June 12 analog cutoff. It would last up to five to seven days before I would redo the TVGOS setup which usually gave me the guide grid by the next day. Like you I didn't make any changes like the display indicated.

Strangely, my Sony DHG recorder with TVGuide never gave this warning. Now I have the DTVPal working only with the Toshiba TV (since June) and I have not had this warning yet.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page