Official Toshiba 42HP95, 42HPX95, 50HP95 & 50HPX95 Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 512 Old 03-31-2006, 02:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I emailed Toshiba support for a electronic copy of the 50HP95 Manual. This makes it easy to search for something. I thought this might be helpfull for other owners or future owners looking for what feautres the Tosh has.
50HP95.pdf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 512 Old 04-01-2006, 02:56 PM

just a follow up: i just received the firmware update for my 42hp95. i am now running version 1.3.1
post #93 of 512 Old 04-01-2006, 06:35 PM

Does anyone know how to adjust the horizontal positioning on the 50hp95? I figured out how to get into the service menu but didn't see anything for positioning or overscan. My set is about 2 or 3 pixels too far to the right. It's barely noticeable but it would be nice if I could correct it.
post #94 of 512 Old 04-04-2006, 08:08 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason330i View Post

just a follow up: i just received the firmware update for my 42hp95. i am now running version 1.3.1

Same here!
post #95 of 512 Old 04-05-2006, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason330i View Post

Same here. Still can't get my cable card to work, though.

post #96 of 512 Old 04-05-2006, 09:15 AM

After 3 months of the 50HPX95 I still really enjoy the set. However I have found the MP3 and JPEG features to be a complete joke. MP3 is limited to 95-128 kbps (yeah, that sounds great on a $4500 Denon/M&K sound system ) and viewing JPEGs is ridiculously slow. Unless you are in a pinch you will want to find another option for music and use a PC or direct camera hookup for JPEG.

As I do not use a ADVR, there is no use to me for the network port so that feature is out.

If you are considering the HPX models do it for only the second HDMI and extra color controls. If you're not a color freak (it still looks quite fine using standard color controls) then you're down to the second HDMI port as the only meaningful difference. The HPX can be found for not much more than the HP when you figure the cost of a decent HDMI switcher.

Maybe the 96 models improve on these features but clearly for the 95s they were a silly afterthought.

Brian
post #97 of 512 Old 04-05-2006, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrot View Post

Same here. Still can't get my cable card to work, though.

before the firmware update, my toshiba had trouble with the cablecard.

after the update, my toshiba works with the cablecard... but the response of the tv is still very slow. and i can't get the tv guide to work with the cablecard.

i have timewarner.

when i was having trouble with the cablecard, i would go into the installation menu and access the add/delete channels menu. for some reason, doing that seemed to trigger something in the tv that allowed it work with the cablecard... at least for a while. it might be worth a try.

anybody got the tv guide + cablecard to work?
post #98 of 512 Old 04-05-2006, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCerveny View Post

After 3 months of the 50HPX95 I still really enjoy the set. However I have found the MP3 and JPEG features to be a complete joke. MP3 is limited to 95-128 kbps (yeah, that sounds great on a $4500 Denon/M&K sound system ) and viewing JPEGs is ridiculously slow. Unless you are in a pinch you will want to find another option for music and use a PC or direct camera hookup for JPEG.

As I do not use a ADVR, there is no use to me for the network port so that feature is out.

If you are considering the HPX models do it for only the second HDMI and extra color controls. If you're not a color freak (it still looks quite fine using standard color controls) then you're down to the second HDMI port as the only meaningful difference. The HPX can be found for not much more than the HP when you figure the cost of a decent HDMI switcher.

Maybe the 96 models improve on these features but clearly for the 95s they were a silly afterthought.

Brian

The JPEG feature is slow because it has to read the JPEG files from you memory card. This speed is limited by both the Media type (CF, SD, etc.) and the quality of your media (1x, 2x, 20x, etc.). Try running sideshow from you PC directly from your memory card, it should be roughly the same speed. If you want the images to load quicker, resize the images to something closer to the native resolution of the Plasma. Viewing images with higher resolution than the Plasma wouldn't improve viewing quality anyway. This same issue exists on DVD players which support JPEG. The 5+ Megapixel cameras of today make rather large files.
post #99 of 512 Old 04-05-2006, 11:46 AM

I just purchased a Toshiba plasma 42HP95 and am using the HDMI inputs.

I would like to automatically program my channels although there are no instructions for programiing channels while using the HDMI input.
When I attempt this (pg 64 pf manual), if I go to Menu-Setup-Installation-Terrestial - the options are grayed out and I cannot choose to program my channels.

Anyone know why this is or if there is a workaround?

I cannot seem to use the TV Guide feature of this television with the HDMI inputs either....

Thanks for your help.
post #100 of 512 Old 04-05-2006, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravens23 View Post

I just purchased a Toshiba plasma 42HP95 and am using the HDMI inputs.

I would like to automatically program my channels although there are no instructions for programiing channels while using the HDMI input.
When I attempt this (pg 64 pf manual), if I go to Menu-Setup-Installation-Terrestial - the options are grayed out and I cannot choose to program my channels.

Anyone know why this is or if there is a workaround?

I cannot seem to use the TV Guide feature of this television with the HDMI inputs either....

Thanks for your help.

if u are using the HDMI input, u must be getting your sat/cable from a set top box. wouldn't u change the channels on the box, not on the tv?

therefore, the tv would not store the channels.
post #101 of 512 Old 04-05-2006, 12:25 PM

My 42 HP 66 just came in.....going to have to wait until Friday to get it installed/mounted at the house though.....I canNOT wait!

Can we just make my thread about the 66's the 'official' one or do that with this one!?

C
post #102 of 512 Old 04-05-2006, 12:34 PM

Thanks, Jason. I do go through my cable box however I thought I could still program the stations automatically. I guess I cannot and am stuck with dealing with two remotes.
post #103 of 512 Old 04-06-2006, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravens23 View Post

Thanks, Jason. I do go through my cable box however I thought I could still program the stations automatically. I guess I cannot and am stuck with dealing with two remotes.

Most new cable boxes and DVR cable boxes are able to control (at least: power on/off, input select, and volume control) the host TV. All you have to do is program the right TV code into the cable box remote.
post #104 of 512 Old 04-06-2006, 11:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCerveny View Post

MP3 is limited to 95-128 kbps (yeah, that sounds great on a $4500 Denon/M&K sound system )
Brian

The audio player in the Toshiba plays my higher bit-rate mp3 files perfectly. I've already tested 160 and 192kbps, both worked fine. The only problem that I noticed is that it only plays through the built-in speakers or the analog output.
post #105 of 512 Old 04-06-2006, 11:50 PM
Advanced Member

226k VBR files play fine also.
post #106 of 512 Old 04-09-2006, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

I have had this plasma for about a month now, and in the last few days I have noticed that on digital channels including the local ABC and CBS HD channels via Cox cable(no cable card), the picture is breaking up and getting some blocks, and at the same time the audio is cutting off for 5 or 10 seconds at a time. This is happening on all the digital channels. The signal strength meter indicates a full signal.

I know the signal is not the problem, because I reset the TV, and when I did the digital channels came in fine, with no breakups for a while, but within hours started up the same problem. Also, my Mits RPTV in another room get the same channels with no problems at all.

Could this be a heat problem? There is plenty of ventilation behind the set. Has anybody else had this breaking up problem?

Any suggestions?

post #107 of 512 Old 04-10-2006, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Bump. Anybody?

post #108 of 512 Old 04-10-2006, 09:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrot View Post

Bump. Anybody?

I've had the issue you described, but it was signal related. If you think it's heat related, increase the ventilation with a fan blowing at the back of the TV and see if it makes a difference.
It could still be the signal in your case due to faulty cabling or connections to the Toshiba.
post #109 of 512 Old 04-10-2006, 09:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DidHeFocus View Post

I've had the issue you described, but it was signal related. If you think it's heat related, increase the ventilation with a fan blowing at the back of the TV and see if it makes a difference.
It could still be the signal in your case due to faulty cabling or connections to the Toshiba.

Well, I guess I will check the connections, but I doubt it will help. You see, in the process of trying to get a cable card to work, the Cox man did something with the cable from the outside box to the outlet the TV is on. He said it was to increase the signal strength. I think it was to reduce the amount of signal split.

post #110 of 512 Old 04-11-2006, 12:39 AM

Greetings all,

I created a similar post in the previous 'official' thread but wanted to ask here again in case there are some new people.

My 42HP95 emits a loud buzz when displaying bright or high white content scenes. Other posts (for other plasmas) say this might indicate a problem with the power supply. I think one of the Avia tests also mentions this, although I thought it was limited to CRTs.

Changing brightness and contrast have no effects. Not to mention, I'd rather use the 'ideal' settings. I've had my set for two months and have used it for well over the arbitrary break-in period.

Has anyone experienced this problem and have it resolved by a technician? I'm reluctant to have any service done considering my set works and there might be a chance that 'service' screws up something else on this relatively expensive piece of equipment. Am I just being paranoid? I assume any problems caused by service is their responsibility? Please ease my mind.

[edited to actual model]
post #111 of 512 Old 04-11-2006, 08:30 AM

Why are people so reluctant to get their equipment checked out when it breaks or has a problem?

Thelonious - if the set is emitting a loud buzz when certain video material is displayed, I would get it serviced. If it is a power supply problem, it is not going to magically get better - it is going to get worse as the power supply breaks down further.

My one service experience (for a Sony RPLCD) was very positive. The tech new what he was doing, was very professional, and was very knowledgable about the equipment he services.

I know - YMMV, but I would get it serviced sooner rather than later.

(I also have the 42HP95 and love it.)
post #112 of 512 Old 04-11-2006, 10:32 AM

Hi All,

I wanted to let you all know that my 42HP95 has been returned to me, and the high pitched squeal/buzz is now gone. According to the repair center, they had to replace the power supply board.

thelonious - I agree with gkinma on getting it checked out by a technician if you can. For me the process was pretty painless (and cost me nothing since it's still under Toshiba's 1year warranty).

I called Toshiba's customer service as soon as I observed the problem - They gave me the number of a local authorized repair center. I called the local repair center, faxed them a copy of my sales receipt (to prove that it's still under warranty), and they came by in a day to pick up the TV. 4 days later, the local repair center called me to tell me that they were waiting for a replacement board to be delivered to them. And, another 4 days later, they showed up at my door with the repaired unit!
post #113 of 512 Old 04-11-2006, 11:27 AM

YMMV? Your money my voice?
post #114 of 512 Old 04-11-2006, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Rex View Post

YMMV? Your money my voice?

Well, I was thinking "Your Mileage May Vary", but I think I like yours better.
post #115 of 512 Old 04-12-2006, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkinma View Post

Well, I was thinking "Your Mileage May Vary", but I think I like yours better.

Yeah, that's it, I just never can remember it. Your money my voice says about the same thing I suppose.

Take care,

D
post #116 of 512 Old 04-15-2006, 11:44 AM

Has anyone experienced Distortion issues with their 42HP95? I have owned mine since December 05 and Whether Im running Dish Net through my 811 HDTV Receiver hooked into my HDMI port, Xbox 360 through Component Cable, or Over the air Locals through Coax, after several minutes the picture gets distorted. It is as their is interference within the set itself. My local authorized Dealer picked up the TV and Had it for almost a month. They Couldn't get it to screw up but say they still replaced a $500 part. They brought it back and I put it on the wall and Wham, same issue. They sent a service tech out and he replaced the exact same part and it worked for about 20 min. Now it has the same problem. Any Ideas. Could the power source be causing the distortion? When I say distortion, I mean it gets lines through the entire screen. I am lost and wish I could just send it back.
post #117 of 512 Old 04-15-2006, 12:57 PM

I am new to AVS forum, I purchased a Toshiba 42hpx95 a couple of weeks ago, so far everything is good, I have a question around the remote, I have a Dish Network (Echostar) receiver and a Phillips DVD with Home theater, I can program the TV remote to work both but not all the buttons work, With the Satellite the power,guide work but no select or enter button. With the DVD I can power it off, but not on.

any comments would be appreciated.
post #118 of 512 Old 04-15-2006, 01:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmcconat View Post

I am new to AVS forum, I purchased a Toshiba 42hpx95 a couple of weeks ago, so far everything is good, I have a question around the remote, I have a Dish Network (Echostar) receiver and a Phillips DVD with Home theater, I can program the TV remote to work both but not all the buttons work, With the Satellite the power,guide work but no select or enter button. With the DVD I can power it off, but not on.

any comments would be appreciated.

Page 31 in the owners manual has a chart that shows the functions avialable. Some functions may not work exactly as indicated. For example: My HK receiver will turn on but not off. IMO, the included remote is much better than most out there.
post #119 of 512 Old 04-15-2006, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DidHeFocus View Post

Page 31 in the owners manual has a chart that shows the functions avialable. Some functions may not work exactly as indicated. For example: My HK receiver will turn on but not off. IMO, the included remote is much better than most out there.

thanks, should I purchase one of the universal remotes out on the market, do you think it would work, or would I have the same problem, The owners manual shows the functions available, but still some buttons don't work, I hate having 3 remotes, maybe I need to keep messing with it.
post #120 of 512 Old 04-15-2006, 04:34 PM

i have a toshiba 42hp95 and after 2 weeks it will not turn on. the red power led light blinks all the time. tried unpluging ,but no results. waiting on service guy to show up. has anyone else had this problem?
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page