Official Toshiba 42HP95, 42HPX95, 50HP95 & 50HPX95 Thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 512 Old 05-01-2006, 08:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Toshiba 42HP95 SpyderTV Calibration

This a report of my experience with calibrating my 42HP95 with the SpyderTV calibration tool.

The software that comes with the SpyderTV only helps you do the basic black level, contrast, color and tint calibration, along with telling you which color temperature preset is the closest to the standard of D65. That's all it instructs you to do, but it also can give you the x,y,Y information needed to do a complete gray-scale calibration, if you use a shortcut to it's built-in /support mode.

I found that the for the basic calibrations, the SpyderTV produces almost identical results as using a calibration disc. The biggest difference was that the SpyderTV suggests what I feel is an extremely high contrast setting of 75. I rejected that suggestion and set contrast at a more reasonable 45. This setting also gave a good gamma measurement, which is affected by the contrast setting.

The spreadsheet I used is available for download in the calibration forum, and I also referenced URSA's Calibration Guide in using the spreadsheet. I highly recommend reading it.

Each picture (see attachments below) gives the before and after measurements of the calibration.

The first picture is of the colorimeter measurements and the resulting color temperature and DeltaE calculations for each level of brightness. DeltaE is a measurement of the actual color error with reference to D65. A reading of 4 or lower is considered to be mostly imperceptible. You can see that before calibration the color temperature was above the 6500K standard. This was even with the color temperature set at warm in the menu. DeltaE was also way off. Gamma was slightly off.

After adjusting the cuts and drives in the service menu, I was able to get color temperature accurate to within 200K of the standard, and DeltaE to 4 and below. Gamma came up a little, but is still within a very reasonable range. This picture also shows the settings of the cuts and drives in the service menu, along with the brightness and contrast setting.

The next pictures are before and after shots of some of the graphs that this spreadsheet creates. Note that some of the after graphs have smaller scales to show more precision. The first is a graph of the gamma curve showing red, green, blue and luminance compared to the standard 2.2 gamma curve. This shows good tracking of the curve after calibration.

The next is a graph of the RGB levels. These should be balanced within 10% from 20 upwards. Before calibration the blue output was way too high, which accounts for the high color temperature. After calibration, all three are within 5%, which is very good.

After calibration the picture is much warmer, and takes a little time to get used to if you have never watched a properly calibrated display before. But I feel the picture is much more natural and film like. Fleshtones from DVD's are incredibly natural, although I still see some that appear wrong on broadcast and DirecTV feeds. This never happens on DVD, so I feel it must be inherent in the signal. I think this shows that this display can produce very realistic colors and color balance when properly calibrated.

I can't be entirely sure how accurate the SpyderTV is compared to more expensive colorimeter's, but it is reported to be pretty good when used properly. The entire calibration took about 2-3 hours. I have repeated it several times, and always come within 1 number in the settings.

I don't think I would buy the SpyderTV if I just wanted to do the basic adjustments. The calibration DVD's give almost identical results for a lot less money. But if you have the knowledge and want to do a complete gray-scale calibration on your own it is a great little tool.

Doing this type of calibration requires accessing the service menu. Please be careful if you do so, and write down all the data values before you change anything.

Duke
LL
LL
LL

Panasonic TH-50PZ800U Plasma
Toshiba 42HP95 Plasma
Panasonic DVD-S97S DVD Player
DirecTV HR20-100S Hi-Def DVR Satellite Receiver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 512 Old 05-01-2006, 09:20 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Thanks for the in-depth report mrduke.
I'm also interested in doing a grayscale calibration as you did, but I don't know where the cuts and drives are in the service menu. Could you kindly tell me how these are labeled in the SM? I can get to the hours of use screen fine, but haven't ventured any further yet.
post #183 of 512 Old 05-02-2006, 07:27 AM

DidHeFocus,

I sent you a PM about the service menu. Do you have the SpyderTV, or are you using another colorimeter?

Just for reference my settings are:

Contrast = 45
Brightness = 52
Color = 37
Tint = +2
Sharpness = 15
Color Temp = Warm
Dynamic contrast, MPEG, DNR = Off

These are the results using SpyderTV (except for contrast) with a Panasonic DVD-S97S DVD player connected through HDMI at 480p with black level set to "darker". I do know that using component inputs gives different results, especially for color and tint.

I doubt just using my settings will give the correct results for all the 42HP95 displays. Just because of manufacturing tolerances, etc. Also I'm pretty sure that a lot of DVD players will also give different results, just because of design differences.

I should stress that doing a complete gray-sale calibration is not going to be for everyone. I have 25 years of TV service experience (mostly CRT), so I did know what each of the adjustments affected. I had the least experience with the DeltaE results. That's where Bill's (URSA) Calibration Guide really came in handy. You can have a 6500K color temperature but still not be at the D65 standard. That's where DeltaE helps.

Some people will be better served by having an ISF calibrator do the job. And that's just fine, too.

Duke

Toshiba 42HP95 Plasma
post #184 of 512 Old 05-02-2006, 10:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusty48 View Post

Hi, New guy here. Anyone have any news on the new Toshiba 37LX96. It was listed on their site for a short while and is now not there but is still listed on the registration area. Have emailed them, still no response and local salesman know it's a new model but have no other info. Now have 32HLX84 for about one year and am overall satisfied but would like a bigger size. Any news would be great.

I have been trying to find more info on this model as well but nothing yet...
post #185 of 512 Old 05-02-2006, 02:58 PM

Hey guys,
I havea Toshiba 42HP95 and have a problem that probably has a very obvious answer, but I've been unable to figure it out after combing through the manual and reading through this thread. A friend was over at my house the other day and apparently hit some buttons on my remote that altered the picture and I can't seem to fix it.

Everything looks normal on the low def channels, but when I go to my HD channels the picture is zoomed in and cropped so that I can't see the edges of the image (particularly annoying when missing the ticker at the bottom of the screen on NFL Draft day). I've tried changing the pic size and that has no effect. I reset the TV to the factory settings and that didn;t help. Any guesses on what's wrong or how I can fix it? Thanks in advance.
post #186 of 512 Old 05-02-2006, 07:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbindon View Post

Hey guys,
I havea Toshiba 42HP95 and have a problem that probably has a very obvious answer, but I've been unable to figure it out after combing through the manual and reading through this thread. A friend was over at my house the other day and apparently hit some buttons on my remote that altered the picture and I can't seem to fix it.

Everything looks normal on the low def channels, but when I go to my HD channels the picture is zoomed in and cropped so that I can't see the edges of the image (particularly annoying when missing the ticker at the bottom of the screen on NFL Draft day). I've tried changing the pic size and that has no effect. I reset the TV to the factory settings and that didn;t help. Any guesses on what's wrong or how I can fix it? Thanks in advance.

Are you using the internal tuners, or an external dish or cable box?
post #187 of 512 Old 05-03-2006, 06:56 AM

I'm using a cable box/DVR provided by the cable company.
post #188 of 512 Old 05-03-2006, 06:59 AM

mbindon

I had that problem with my LCD TV as well and found out that it was the setting on the cablebox.

-Jody

We are children of the future, maybe we're just passing through here, all depends on what you do here, under One Big Sky - Kansas
post #189 of 512 Old 05-03-2006, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodeus View Post

mbindon

I had that problem with my LCD TV as well and found out that it was the setting on the cablebox.

-Jody

I played with the cablebox settings and got it fixed. Thanks for the tip!
post #190 of 512 Old 05-03-2006, 11:27 AM

I've just purchased the 50HP95 -- an open box display item at BestBuy.

Can someone tell me how to clean this plasma screen? I couldn't find this information in the manual. Thanks!
post #191 of 512 Old 05-03-2006, 07:09 PM
Advanced Member

Use a very soft cotton or microfiber cloth with distilled water. If you have greasy fingerprints and smudges, you may need something a little stronger, DON'T use WINDEX! I use a small spray bottle from "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter Spray", with one drop of dishwashing liquid and the rest water for all my sensitive cleaning.
post #192 of 512 Old 05-03-2006, 08:34 PM

Hi everybody, I have owned a 42HP95 since February and have been enjoying it very much . Today I was interested in using the POP feature when I ran into a little problem. When I tried to activate the POP window and went to the Input window, I only had one source available. I'll state my setup to see if you can help me spot the problem:

a) Denon 1920 DVD player connected to HDMI input.
b) Motorola 6416 HD/DVR (Cox Cable) connected through component.
c) Onkyo DVD changer connected through component.
d) Marantz receiver connected through Svideo (used exclusively for menu viewing).

The POP Input window offered me the Svideo (Receiver) as the only option and I certainly don't want to use that one. My goal is to watch two different TV channels on the POP windows or one TV channel and a DVD. Will this be possible?

Thanks for your input
post #193 of 512 Old 05-03-2006, 11:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcastlejr View Post

Hi everybody, I have owned a 42HP95 since February and have been enjoying it very much . Today I was interested in using the POP feature when I ran into a little problem. When I tried to activate the POP window and went to the Input window, I only had one source available. I'll state my setup to see if you can help me spot the problem:

d) Marantz receiver connected through Svideo (used exclusively for menu viewing).

The POP Input window offered me the Svideo (Receiver) as the only option and I certainly don't want to use that one. My goal is to watch two different TV channels on the POP windows or one TV channel and a DVD. Will this be possible?

Thanks for your input

I own the 42HP95 also, and when I'm watching the internal tuner and select split/input, I get all options except the tuner as a choice. If I'm watching a DVD on input 4, I only get Ant1 and Ant2 as options. Have you "hidden" any inputs, my PC input is there, but says hidden and is grayed out.
post #194 of 512 Old 05-04-2006, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DidHeFocus View Post

Use a very soft cotton or microfiber cloth with distilled water. If you have greasy fingerprints and smudges, you may need something a little stronger, DON'T use WINDEX! I use a small spray bottle from "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter Spray", with one drop of dishwashing liquid and the rest water for all my sensitive cleaning.

Thanks for the info! I cleaned it last night with a microfiber cloth only (no water or anything) and I think it looks great now! Mainly, I just want to make sure there are no scratches or anything since I got the open box floor model. I think I got an excellent deal, though, using the 20% off open box TVs coupon from the BestBuy website (good thru 5/13). I checked prices online and my price came out lower than even the lowest found online. The production date on my is Oct 05, so I figured they had it on for about 2000 hours, ~ 6 months. I'm very happy with it so far.

I do have another question. What all came with the TV? Since I got the open box, I can't tell if I got everything. With my 50HP95, I got the manual, 2 IR cables, power cord, Remote and AA batteries for the remote. Was there anything else that I should have gotten?

Also, I'm thinking about buying the Toshiba Symbio Hard Drive for DVR functions. Any advice on that? I'm currently only getting OTA channels (SD & HD) with an indoor antenna, but I plan on getting Cable soon, with the CableCARD. Actually, I'm not even sure I need the CableCARD or the STB if I don't plan on getting any premium channels -- just digital cable with HD. I never use OnDemand or anything of those features, so can I just go straight from the wall Coax jack into my TV?

Thanks much!
post #195 of 512 Old 05-04-2006, 02:03 PM

I use my 42HP95 with cable going straight to the Antenna 1 input, no cable card. The TV pulls in all of the UNSCRAMBLED digital channels. And if you enable them in the TVGOS, and fix the channel number, then the TVGOS info is available for them as well. Getting the channels in the "right" order n TVGOS is another matter - royal pain!

I'm very happy using the tv this way. I get the local braodcast HD channels. I DO NOT get the non-local HD channels which I get with my HD STB however (the STB is on another tv).

Most of my watching on this tv is still from the analog stations in my basic cable plan. If I am watching something on one of the local stations, I will check the HD channel to see if they are broadcasting an HD verison of the show. Unfortunately, I do not get to watch the Red Sox on NESN-HD this way (as far as I can tell).

You might want to check some of the other posts related to cable card usage on this tv. In particular, look for Jodeus' experiences with the cable card and Symbio. He was one of the first to get the HP95, cable card, and the Symbio. He did have some issues when his cable company pushed out a firmware update to the card, which made it incompatible with the tv. Once he got a firmware update from Toshiba, all was well again. If you use the advanced search feature of the forum, and search for posts by him (Jodeus), you'll find them.

As far as box contents, what you listed sounds about right. I'm not at home so I cannot check.

I hope you enjoy your new tv as much as I enjoy mine!
post #196 of 512 Old 05-04-2006, 06:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltzonice View Post

Thanks for the info! I cleaned it last night with a microfiber cloth only (no water or anything) and I think it looks great now! Mainly, I just want to make sure there are no scratches or anything since I got the open box floor model. I think I got an excellent deal, though, using the 20% off open box TVs coupon from the BestBuy website (good thru 5/13). I checked prices online and my price came out lower than even the lowest found online. The production date on my is Oct 05, so I figured they had it on for about 2000 hours, ~ 6 months. I'm very happy with it so far.

I do have another question. What all came with the TV? Since I got the open box, I can't tell if I got everything. With my 50HP95, I got the manual, 2 IR cables, power cord, Remote and AA batteries for the remote. Was there anything else that I should have gotten?

Also, I'm thinking about buying the Toshiba Symbio Hard Drive for DVR functions. Any advice on that? I'm currently only getting OTA channels (SD & HD) with an indoor antenna, but I plan on getting Cable soon, with the CableCARD. Actually, I'm not even sure I need the CableCARD or the STB if I don't plan on getting any premium channels -- just digital cable with HD. I never use OnDemand or anything of those features, so can I just go straight from the wall Coax jack into my TV?

Thanks much!

I think you got everything.
I have the Symbio and I think it's worth getting for your Toshiba. If you do a google search, you'll find it sells for about half the msrp. It has some quirks, and it locks up once in a while, but powering it off and on fixes it. Having only an OTA antenna, it's just right for my HD and SD recording needs.
post #197 of 512 Old 05-04-2006, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcastlejr View Post

Thanks for your input

I also own the 42HP95. I believe that when using the POP feature one of the POP windows has to be an antenna input. Check notes on page 78 of the manual.

"You cannot view two video or two antenna sources in both the main and POP windows simultaneously. (You can view a video source in one window and an antenna spurce in the other.)"

Duke

Toshiba 42HP95 Plasma
post #198 of 512 Old 05-05-2006, 02:33 PM

I just purchased a 50HP95 from Best Buy and am very impressed. I have Cox Cable's Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HDC DVR connected via an HDMI cable. A very nice, neat connection -- too bad there is only one HDMI port with this TV! Even though I probably have no compelling reason to use the TV Guide On Screen fucntion, I thought I'd give it a try in case it works well with the Cox DVR box. However, when setting it up, the instructions ask whether I'm connecting the cable box via ANT 1 or Video 1. Of course I connected via HDMI, not ANT 1 nor Video 1. Any suggestions how to solve this issue other than not using the HDMI cable?
post #199 of 512 Old 05-05-2006, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrduke View Post

I also own the 42HP95. I believe that when using the POP feature one of the POP windows has to be an antenna input. Check notes on page 78 of the manual.

"You cannot view two video or two antenna sources in both the main and POP windows simultaneously. (You can view a video source in one window and an antenna spurce in the other.)"

Duke

Maybe I am oversimplifying the guy's issue to which you responded, but for what it's worth here's what I did with my new 50HP95 yesterday: I split the cable signal at the wall and ran one lead to the Cox DVR/cable box and the other lead to the ANT 1 on the TV. My DVR is connected to the TV via an HDMI cable. This takes care of the two different sources issue -- one is ANT and the other is HDMI. (If you do this procedure, read the manual for how to scan in channels on ANT 1. Otherwise the TV will probably assume you are coming off air and will only find Channels 2-13, until you tell the TV that ANT 1 is connected by cable.)

The down side is the signal on ANT 1 does not include premium channels greater than Channel 99, but I don't care since this connection will let me watch two football or basketball games side by side in nice sized pictures, which was my goal. You will need to use both remotes -- the TV remote to toggle between POP windows and control one POP window, the Cable remote to control the other POP window.
post #200 of 512 Old 05-05-2006, 07:44 PM

hddude55:

That is a great recommendation! I split my OTA signal between the TV's ANT 1 input and my DirecTV HD-DVR's OTA antenna input. That allows me to watch 2 different OTA channels at once, or record one while watching another. Some people see no need for an built-in tuner when using a cable box or satellite, but there are times when multiple tuners are nice. The HD-DVR actually has 2 digital OTA tuners, so I can record one channel, and still watch two others via the POP feature.

Nice catch hddude!

Duke

Toshiba 42HP95 Plasma
post #201 of 512 Old 05-05-2006, 08:02 PM
Advanced Member

Anybody know of a good online retailer that sill have the 42HPX95 in stock. Crutchfield doesn't have them anymore. I'm trying to decide between a 32HLX95 LCD and 42HPX95 plasma right now and need to think fast because this may be the final year of Toshiba producing flat-panel TVs. Is plasma better than LCD? Is it worth getting the 10" bigger size.
post #202 of 512 Old 05-06-2006, 08:40 AM

Hi, I purchased a Toshiba 42HPX95 in Dec 2005. Ive really been impressed by this set. About a month ago it started acting up, the screen keeps breaking up with horizontal black lines. Sometimes it will keep struggling to produce a picture then it will go completely black with no video and then the video might flash a few times. During this time the audio is perfect and never breaks up. It doesn't seem to matter what video input you are on, be it Component, S-Video or RCA jacks. When its in a mood it will do this on any input, with any device connected to it. It has gone as long as a couple of weeks with out any problems, but lately its been doing this regularly every day. Anyways to make a longer story short, the repair guy says that Toshiba Canada wants the set to be sent to Montreal for servicing by their expert. The repair guy says that if they cant repair it or if they have to wait a long time for parts they will most likely authorize for a new set. My dilemma is that I dont see anything in the 2006 Toshiba lineup that compares to the 42HPX95. I dont even see the Cinema Series Plasma anymore in their lineup. We all know that what makes the 2005 Toshiba's kick ASS is their Panasonic Flat Panel. Ive got a scary feeling that Im gonna get screwed on this deal! Does anyone know what model replaces the 42HPX95? or the closest one to it. Do any of the new Toshiba'a have Panasonic panels? Any input or advice greatly appreciated.
post #203 of 512 Old 05-06-2006, 11:18 AM

Thanks hddude55 and mrduke for your suggestions about the POP issue. I will try to split the signal sometime this week. Thanks also mrduke for posting your results with the SpyderTV. I used your settings as a baseline and then adjust accordingly to my own eyes ( I also used AVIA). I am now quite satisfied with the picture from both of my DVD sources. Now I only have one more goal, to adjust the picture from the HDDVR source. Anyway I can do this? How can I get test patterns?

Thanks again,
M
post #204 of 512 Old 05-06-2006, 01:55 PM

waltzonice

As gkinma has said, I'm using my 42HP95 with a cablecard and the Symbio DVR. I did have a problem around the time of the SuperBowl with my cable company forcing out a firmware update for the cablecard. Eventually I called Toshiba after the cable company came and said it wasn't their problem, and Toshiba sent me a SD card with a firmware update for the TV. That was at the end of February and I haven't had any issues since.

As for the Symbio, I've said it before, as long as you know the limitations it can be useful. It is more like a digital VCR than it is a DVR. Yes you can record a digital channel and watch an analog channel at the same time, but you can't even watch a recorded show while the box is recording. I still have two ReplayTV's in my house so most SD stuff is recorded on them while I use the Symbio only for recording HD content. For that it works fine.

-Jody

We are children of the future, maybe we're just passing through here, all depends on what you do here, under One Big Sky - Kansas
post #205 of 512 Old 05-06-2006, 08:10 PM

mcastlejr:

HDNet broadcasts HD test patterns Tuesday mornings from 6:50 to 7:00 AM ET. They are pretty basic. They have color bars which you can use with a blue filter to set color and tint. Also a set of blocks with numbers that are different levels of black and white that you can use for setting contrast and black level. For black level the number 10 should just barely be visible in the block. The 0 should be plainly visible in the first block. The overscan pattern is not exact, so don't worry to much about that.

I recorded the patterns on my HD-DVR and keep them for reference.

Duke

Toshiba 42HP95 Plasma
post #206 of 512 Old 05-07-2006, 11:03 PM

Thanks mrduke for your reply. I am aware of the HDNet test patterns from when I subscribed to DirecTV. However, Cox Cable (my currently choice) does not carry HDNet in my area so it's not available to me. Do any of the other HD channels broadcast patterns? INHD? local PBS station?
Thanks again,
M
post #207 of 512 Old 05-08-2006, 08:04 AM

I have read that INHD does broadcast test patterns. Early Saturday morning around 6:45 AM ET. I do not get that on DirecTV, so I can't be sure of the time.

Good Luck

Duke

Toshiba 42HP95 Plasma
post #208 of 512 Old 05-08-2006, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InYourEyes View Post

Anybody know of a good online retailer that sill have the 42HPX95 in stock. Crutchfield doesn't have them anymore. I'm trying to decide between a 32HLX95 LCD and 42HPX95 plasma right now and need to think fast because this may be the final year of Toshiba producing flat-panel TVs. Is plasma better than LCD? Is it worth getting the 10" bigger size.

Vanns says they still have them in stock on their website. But for the $$$ I would get a 50hp95. 6ave still says they have 50hp95 in stock but I don't have any experience with them other them screwing up my order last year on a 50px50u.
post #209 of 512 Old 05-08-2006, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by python67 View Post

Does anyone know what model replaces the 42HPX95? or the closest one to it. Do any of the new Toshiba'a have Panasonic panels? Any input or advice greatly appreciated.

Well Ive been reading through the threads and found most of the answers to my questions. Im still in shock about the new Toshiba's using LG glass. I guess that rules out replacing my 42HPX95 with a 2006 model. I know the guy pretty good where I purchased my set, so he will probably let me choose another brand if Toshiba give the OK to replace it. Seeing as Im a big fan of the Panasonic glass, would you guys recommend the Panasonic 42px60u as a close replacement to my 42HPX95?
post #210 of 512 Old 05-09-2006, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by python67 View Post

Well Ive been reading through the threads and found most of the answers to my questions. Im still in shock about the new Toshiba's using LG glass. I guess that rules out replacing my 42HPX95 with a 2006 model. I know the guy pretty good where I purchased my set, so he will probably let me choose another brand if Toshiba give the OK to replace it. Seeing as Im a big fan of the Panasonic glass, would you guys recommend the Panasonic 42px60u as a close replacement to my 42HPX95?

If I was looking to replace my 42HP95 I would certainly look at the new Panasonic 42PX60. The biggest problem with them is they still have some of the same shortfalls that drove my decision to choose Toshiba for my purchase. The biggest shortfall being the lack of independent memory per input for settings. They also do not have some of the other nice features such as a memory card reader, TVGuide, POP, dual antenna inputs. I believe they have added the capability to stretch 1080i/720p HD signals, and have gray-scale adjustments in the regular service menu. I am pretty sure their picture quality is good though.

All that being said, I probably would not be looking enthusiastically at the new Toshiba's either. The lack of Panasonic panels, and the possibility that they are being manufactured by Orion (even if it is to Toshiba specs) would probably drive me elsewhere.

I would probably look hard at the Pioneer 4260/61 and the NEC 42XR4. Or wait to see how the new Pioneer's or Panasonic 42PX600 are. Yes, they are more money, but to get the features you have now, with good picture quality, that's what I'd be looking at. Again, this is only my opinion.

Duke

Toshiba 42HP95 Plasma
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page