LG 42" plasma - are red dots normal? - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 194 Old 08-17-2007, 11:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well it has only taken a few months and me being without my plasma for the last two weeks but my red dot problem is finally solved. After the third attempt by a tech to fix the problem (which actually made the TV have a totally new problem with the red colours going wacky) LG decided the TV was in fact defective. I ended up getting a credit at Best Buy and got the 42 PC5D for the same price as my old PC3D. I set it up this evening and .... drumroll... no red dots! I have seen some posts where others have had IR with this model but I haven't seen anything overly noticeable for a new TV. It took a while but I'm satisfied.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 194 Old 08-27-2007, 03:45 PM

I started seeing red dots appear on my LG 42PC3D the last couple weeks - the TV is 9 months old. At first I thought nothing of it, but it seems to be worsening and luckily I found this post. I called LG Service today and the service rep immediately said this is completely normal, nothing is wrong. I argued with him on his definition of "normal" and finally got him to take my information down, but alas, I needed the serial number have them schedule a tech and I'm at work. I was then placed on hold, and he came back and tried to argue with me some more about the red dots being a reception problem with my cable provider. This is not a good start to my LG service experience. I may take a look at the voltage settings as well.
post #93 of 194 Old 09-01-2007, 02:55 PM

Hey Cyberyaga, I sent you the following PM awhile ago, not sure if you still around...

>>hey mate, I have the same tv and the same problem that you once had. I was wondering if you would be willing to share some knowledge about the procedure.

Any help would be appriciated, as my big beautiful set and I are growing apart because of it.
post #94 of 194 Old 09-05-2007, 10:30 AM

Well, right place and topic but wrong equipment...;

I've got a Samsung 50" plasma,, but,, exact same behaviour as stated in this topic.
Im going completly mad with this. I started chasing Samsung in January,, nothing.
Recently,, in the beginning of August,, a supportincident actually took place.

1st after approx a week, a guy came out, took the tv down, just to find that he had the wrong spare parts with him.
2nd time,, I was sitting at home waiting for them to come and pick the TV up for inhouse service..,, When the day was nearly ending ( a workday...) I called them and asked if they were coming soon...,, Reply,, oh..sorry,, can we book a new day..??

Anyway,, now it's step3 ,, they have pick the TV up, they have had it inhouse for approx 14 days and,, I just got it back again...with the EXACT same problem.

Dancing red-dots all over on the darker parts.

But,, here's some strange info/observations;

1. using DVD and/or Sat-box,, this problem does not occur.
2. using PS3,, it occurs badly and..here's the strange part, after using PS3
the error will also occur on DVD.

I've tested with different HDMI cables (named and nonamed..)
I've tested through HDMI switch and without HDMI switch.

Another strange thing happening is that the TV seems to "reboot" briefly 5-10 times a day when watching films/tv/etc. This "feels" like its occuring more if it's HD content.
This "reboot" is very brief,, 1-2 sec's.

Anyway,,, How to sort this out ??,,, Samsung can say that the error only occurs
IF Im using the PS3
(but If I do,, the red dots are even there with the built-in screensaver for the samsung)

Sony on the other hand can state the opposite;
I can use the PS3 to my LCD Tv with this problem...(which in fact also is a Samsung..)

I know one thing...,, Im going mad..
post #95 of 194 Old 09-07-2007, 11:50 PM

I had the LG Tech visit me two times this week. First time to diagnose the problem. He quickly determined I needed two boards replaced. Three days later he replaced the boards, fiddled with the settings a bit and maybe there is a slight improvement but the dots are still there. He tried to tell me I had the TV set on "demo mode" and switched it to Powersave On to dim the screen. Of course, with the dimmer screen the dots are harder to see, but so is everything else. I'm close to giving up on LG.
post #96 of 194 Old 09-09-2007, 08:16 PM

I just purchased a 50" panasonic 1080 plasma... i have had the unit 10 days and i already have green dots everywhere...

when i turn the unit on, it is terrible, kinda fuzzy all over... then it clears up for a while then it gets green dots.... worse and worse over time.... ending up with green dots everywhere...

this absolutely is terrible....

what are these green dots and how do i prevent them... do i need to install something differently?
post #97 of 194 Old 09-12-2007, 07:45 AM

I had an issue with red dots on my 42PC1DA as well so I called the boutique that I purchased it from and got the answer.It is your connections,not the plasma unless you are noticing this with dvds as well when using an HDMI cable.I was only experiencing these red dots when my plasma was on antenna(yes i said antenna.I dl movies so why bother with cable).I was told that the red dots are usually caused by cheapo interconnects such as analog.I was in the same boat as you just a week ago and thought my plasma needed to be sent off but after checking for the dots on HDMI(none were seen),my dealers answer was correct.
post #98 of 194 Old 09-23-2007, 04:09 AM

I have this very same problem with my LG 42", it's almost a year old now but has the red snow syndrome. I was reading through the posts and saw that it is actually the voltage which causes the issue, so I thought i'd try the Low Power option found in the menu, and it's made a huge difference! Before I changed the setting, the red dots would clone the blackened areas and stay there until a new image replaced the area, and with the Low Power settings they disappear after about half a second, which is even more bearable than before, but I still think I need to get this fixed up permanently.
post #99 of 194 Old 09-25-2007, 11:39 PM

I have a 9 month old Toshiba plasma(LG glass) that had the red dot problem. Toshiba gave me the name of a local servise outfit here in Seattle. They came and picked it up diagnosed it as a couple of boards that needed replacing and 5 days later I had my set back and working perfect. No cost to me. The repair man said a lot of LG's and Zeiniths had the same problem. Hope this helps.
post #100 of 194 Old 11-01-2007, 08:39 AM

I dont know if this thread is still alive or not but i have some info on the lg set. The plasma needs 2 boards replaced to fix the red snow problem. one is called the y sustain board the other is the z sustain board. The voltage adjustment does fix this problem also however sometimes adjusting the voltage is only a temporary fix. the most effective way is to replace these two boards. adjusting the voltages simply corrects the fact that the pdp panel is seeing the wrong volts from the sustain boards. as long as the boards dont degrade adjusting the volts will fix it. when you contact a repair center they will need the full model code off the set it will look something like this: 42PC3D-UE.ACCLLJR. were as the model number is 42pc3d, the rest of the code is a version code. without that info no one can order the correct parts ( not even lg ). sometimes I have had to actually go to the customers home open the set and get the part numbers right off the boards. This is because if you look up the model on lgs site sometimes one model code will have two differnt part numbers for the same part. (i've been fixing sets for 12 years and still have no idea why they cant have one code that identifies the parts in the set.) Anyway I hope this helps anyone who is still reading this thread. p.s. dont bother contacting me / responding, im a ghost!
post #101 of 194 Old 11-01-2007, 08:44 AM

well,, thanks "Ghost"... I guess you know quite well what your writing,,,

Actually,, I've been at war with Samsung for some time now,
they 1st had someone trying to fix at my place, then they brought it in for service,
no change and nothing better..

Then,,to make things MUCH worse, they actually booked pickup for the plasma 4 times in a row without even showing up...,,, Could say I was angry,

After chasing and threatining to use any kind of media against them,,they actually now agreed to give me a new TV alltogether....,, I guess they owe it to me after approx 7 months.....
post #102 of 194 Old 11-10-2007, 10:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Last time at my parents' I noticed their LG 42PC1DA exhibits this same red snow effect. It's mostly noticeable on a black screen, but you can see it all the time from up close, not so much from far back. Doesn't matter the connection used, HDMI, component, etc, it's always there. This set was purchased a couple years back - hence, I doubt there is any warranty left, and I'm sure the B&M they bought it from will not give a hoot. I wonder if this thing with replacing the boards would solve their problem - I wouldn't want to suggest a quick temporary fix like tweaking the Vsc, etc.

I'm sure they wouldn't be happy about paying a service rep to come in, order these parts & install them, etc, at the possible risk that it wouldn't even solve the problem. Is this something that I could order and replace these boards myself? I have a reasonable amount of tech knowledge, I build my own PC's, etc. nothing too major. Is this out of my league? Do I really need to call in a professional? Do I risk destroying their set? If that's the case, I'm sure they'd rather just live with it. In fact, they don't even complain about the red snow, it moreso bothers me when I visit them. I'd just like to be able to correct it for them.
post #103 of 194 Old 11-11-2007, 03:45 PM

I have an LG 42" plasma (42PC5D) and I am also experiencing the red dots. Before I take the TV in to a tech I would like to try to adjust the voltages before hand. Could anybody help me out as to where I can find the voltage adjustments on the back of the TV? Any pictures would be greatly helpful.
post #104 of 194 Old 11-15-2007, 07:38 PM

I have a service guy coming over Nov.16 for the same red pixelization problem. It sounds like quite a regular problem for LG. Thanks everyone for your info. This gives me some ground to push on LG. My plasma is 42pc3d less than a year old. I want new. I will see how it goes and post here.
post #105 of 194 Old 11-27-2007, 08:30 AM

My LG 42PC3R has the same problem. Any info on voltage settings would be great.
post #106 of 194 Old 11-29-2007, 05:05 AM

it's been a year or more since people in this thread started fixing the problem with voltage adjustments...have any of you seen the problem come back? just found this thread today and would love to know that this will atleast buy me alot of time as opposed to a little.
post #107 of 194 Old 12-03-2007, 08:33 AM

I have a 1-1/2 yr old LG 50PM1M Plasma Monitor...

Last year we noticed blue sparkles...tech guys came out and I showed it to them...they took the monitor to their shop and could not recreate the blue sparkles...so...they replaced some boards (???)...the problem subsided.

Now it is 9 months later and I now have red sparkles...LG has issued a tech to come an service our monitor (fYi...this is different tech company)...anyway they told me that they are familiar with this problem...I explained the possibility of a voltage regulation problem and they seemed to be receptive to this conclusion...

I will keep y'all posted...
post #108 of 194 Old 12-04-2007, 12:21 AM

I and many other people on the Zenith/LG 50 inch plasma have had the red dots issue and many of us had our sets pop and go black. see Zenith thread. Mine lasted almost 2 years before it died. good luck.... I will never buy a LG product again.
post #109 of 194 Old 12-12-2007, 01:52 PM

All I have to say is thank you to this forum!! Helped me with my red dot issue!
Well I think I am over Plasma all together, LCD all the way. I have Philips 50" Plasma for a little under 3 years now. The red dot issue started about a year ago. It progressed to the point where any dark/muddy scenes would be plagued with red, almost a third of the screen that I could see sitting 6-8 feet away. I searched and searched, only to find out it wasn't just a problem with Philips, but many Plasmas, as you probably all know by now. I saw a few posts here and there saying it was a voltage issue. Yesterday I had enough, I searched and came across this post. A few people said to adjust the pots Va, VB and VScan. Well I didn't want to pay a tech to come out and charge me an arm and a leg for something they wouldn't/couldn't fix. 50 screws later I took the back panel off, in the upper middle of the TV was a PCB with the Vscan pot. I marked the original locations, had a DVD paused on a nice muddy scene and and gave the pots a slight turn, after a few minutes I found the VScan and Va did the the trick, I turn Vscan about one and half ticks and Va about one tick. 98.9% of the red dots are gone! WOO HOO!!! THANK YOU AGAIN!!
post #110 of 194 Old 12-15-2007, 02:58 PM

I have exactly the same problem and im two weeks outside of warranty. Im a computer engineer and the inside of the TV doesnt scare me so I decided to have a go at adjusting the power.

Before I started though I went through all of the menu options to see if any made a difference. Under the "special" menu I found a low power mode option. I turned this on and after about 30 seconds the image cleared up entirely.

Since I assume this has some performance impact I didnt want to leave it on so I turned it back off. But the red dots did not come back. TV was on for about 8 hours. I then turned it off from the mains and back on again. 8 hours and several DVD's later the dots have not returned....

I agree with one of the earlier posters that this could be a power supply issue. I did notice it happened more at night when more appliances/light are in use. If the power setting in the TV is as sensitive as we all think then even a minor amount of "noise" from the household mains could cause all kinds of problems.
post #111 of 194 Old 12-16-2007, 02:52 AM

Started taking things apart last night as after a small amount of time with low power mode turned off the dots to reappear but not as bad as they used to be.

Connected to the TV is:

XBOX 360 (VGA socket HD)
- HD DVD Addition
SONY DVD Recorder (old - scart)
SKY HD (HDMI)
Sony HDRSR1 camcorder (HDMI)

All of these are protected by a MasterPlug Gold Series Surge Protector.

If I unplug the DVD recorder and leave it for a while it clears up.
If I unplug the XBOX there is no difference until I disconnect the AUDIO connections (Bizare).
Unplugging the SKY HD decoder, XBOX looks fine in HD.
DVD player on scart input never has red dots.

Discovered with some playing around that the HDMI audio inputs and the vga AUDIO inputs share a common cable connection back to the sound processor (guess it was cheaper)

So basically, using high performance and high power functions results in red dots. Audio channel is bad design and lets one problem HD input affect the others.

On a whim I swapped the Surge Protector (8 sockets) with the one running one of the office PC's (8 sockets). Red dots still evident, not quite as bad but panel was just warming up again.

Swapped the 8 socket adapter for two lower quality 4 socket surge protectors. Red dots GONE. Turned everything on at the same time, no Dots. Left it running for hours, no dots.

My basic conclusion is that my High quality surge proectors are either using too much power themselves or the 8 socket adapter (which had other things plugged in as well - Photo viewer and other junk) should not be used to its max capacity. Devices may be drawing too much power.

When I add up the ampage I get within half an amp of the maximum rated capacity of the 8 socket protector. (For reference I live in England so we use 220 AC at 13 Amps. Household mains runs up to 30 Amps).

So im happy and I hope this helps someone else. Also explains why the dots are not recreateable in service centres. They probably have one AV source going to one TV so no high power use.
post #112 of 194 Old 12-17-2007, 04:26 PM

Didn't matter what else was plugged in/turned on. Seemed to be worse when the TV was colder. Red Dots got to a point where I had to do something. Luckily the pots were easy to find and labeled correctly. Played some Mass Effect last night, looked closely at the dark areas, the dots are 99.8% gone!
post #113 of 194 Old 01-04-2008, 06:09 PM

Just registered on this forum to say thank you to all in this thread.. esp those that pointed out that it's a voltage issue and how to fix it.

I've had my Toshiba plasma for a little over 4 years now and only in the past 4 months did I start seeing the red dots in the center of my TV on anything that was black or fading to black.

Anyway, to make along story short, I did was a few here suggested and dropped the plate from the back of the TV (after I unscrewed about 30 screws, heh) and after about 5 minutes with the flashlight I located the little plastic voltage regulators.

On my Toshiba 1 was on the one side and 2 were on the opposite side of the TV. After tampering with the 3 I knew I was tampering with the right thing because it did crazy rainbow color things to the TV. I wish I took a picture for you all but anyway.. each TV is different so that's no good. Mine were labeled V01, V02... the loner on the opposite side was also V01. At any rate I twisted the 1 by about 5 notches.. and the other by 2.

No more dots. Blacks are really rich, again. I think it had to do with the ambient temp of our house in the winter months (when we lived in the app the heat was paid for so we just had it cranked up.. but in our new house.. gas $$ is a whole new experience).

Thanks all. Glad I fonud this forum/thread before calling Toshiba or a technitian.
post #114 of 194 Old 01-04-2008, 06:51 PM

I've noticed that when I'm watching 4:3 programs and have black bars on the sides or if I watch really widescreen movies and have black bars on the top, I see green dots turning on and off in and around the area that should be all black. Is this what you guys are talking about? My 50PC5D is only a few weeks old. Should I be calling support to have this looked at or is this normal? I really can't see the dots unless I'm up close to the set.
post #115 of 194 Old 01-04-2008, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel_ed View Post

My toshiba has been having the red pixel problem off and on for some time, but very infrequently. Sometimes it really overwhelms the picture, other times a bit less as below:

Is this what you folks are getting?

man could you have picked someone better then mr anti american murtha?
anyways i noticed this problem is SOURCE DEPENDANT. it all has to do with the signal coming in and NOT the wires.
i get this when watching NBC in 4:3 hd but converted not true hd. i thought it was my brand new plasma and allmost had a fit but i went and turned on the same show on my 42 inch lcd and the same thing was happeneing and this is OTA programming.
so its not the tv but some of the posts its obviously the set but the picture aboive is the signal.
thos doesnt happen when im watchin true 16:9 hd
post #116 of 194 Old 01-30-2008, 08:35 AM

Well...the tech guys replaced all boards on our 50" LG Plasma and it has been 2 weeks and no sign of sparkles...if they reappear so will I...on this board.
post #117 of 194 Old 01-30-2008, 08:21 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by prongus View Post

Before calling the repair tech, try placing a small fan behind your TV.
This solved my "red dot" issue as well as eliminating my temporary burn in effect on dark to bright to dark transitions - Seems that, at least with my samsung, the heat was affecting performance big time.
That was confirmed after 15 minutes running an 8" oscillating table fan behind the unit.

hope this helps

I've been seeing the red pixels on scenes with people's faces...it only happens near the top center of my plasma display. I tried Prongus's suggestion and put a brookstone fan pointing at the back of the display. It's positioned at the 10'o clock area and blows towards the 4 o'clock. The red pixels went away. I will say that before I watched the movie that exhbited these problems, I had the TV on for over an hour and periodically turned on and off my heater (which is not too far behind the plasma display.

So my guess is it may be temperature issues or variations. Try the fan idea and see how it goes for you...I will experiment more and keep posting. So far, after watching another 45 and repeating the same scene, the pixels are gone.

will let you all know...

EDIT: CRAP...it's still there...I just booked a tech call with Samsung. NUTS!
post #118 of 194 Old 02-09-2008, 11:25 AM

I have the "red dots" problem with my LG 42PC5D. It doesn't happen consistently, but seems to appear most when there the TV image has a lot of contrast. It occurs with any signal (cable box or DVD). It usually happens only after the TV has warmed up for some time.

I called LG and they told me to call the local service shop. The technician came to the house, but couldn't reproduce the red dots. I showed him some photos I had taken and he was immediately familiar with the problem. He said it is a firmware issue and he would need to take the TV back to his shop. I don't understand why he couldn't upgrade the firmware at the house (e.g. with a laptop or something). Maybe it involves removing some chips and flashing them.

I'll wait to see if the problem is actually fixed after firmware upgrade.
LL
post #119 of 194 Old 02-12-2008, 04:51 PM

I actually have the 'green' dots problem with occasional red. Most of it appears randomly when the screen is darker and when I turn it on. After a while, it goes away slightly but is still noticeable. My ru-42px11 is 8 months out of warranty. *sigh* Could you let us know if the firmware upgrade fixed the problem?

Much appreciated!!!
post #120 of 194 Old 02-16-2008, 08:23 AM

The repair shop said they replaced the y- and z- sustain circuit boards and tried to update the firmware but were having problems doing so. Apparently there has been a change to the circuit board and compatibility with latest firmware.

So LG will be replacing my plasma TV under manufacturer's warranty.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page