LG 42" plasma - are red dots normal? - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 194 Old 02-26-2010, 01:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Guys I came here and followed Trolls and TanGUs instruction and it totally fixed the Red snow Storm problem. Took me longer to take the back off the TV then to make the adjustment (maybe 5 minutes) Thanks Troll and TanGu, you saved me at least $200.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 194 Old 02-28-2010, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter

Happy Ending.

Ok, I finally swaped out the control board today ... and after a 2-3 hour disassembly processs ... it WORKS !!!! Plasma fixed !!!

It was quite a dis-assembly, getting to it.

I paid 56-59 got the board, from a place called midwest something ...

Here is a good thread on the process:
http://greenrenovation.wordpress.com...stripe-repair/

Not for the timid, as there are a lot of wires to remove and about 100 screws ... and the control board is buried under the audio and video boards ... and you need to REMOVE THE STAND to get the audio video board mounting bracket out.

Scott
post #183 of 194 Old 07-03-2010, 09:37 PM

hello, I've been looking through here for about an hour after I just started getting the red and blue snow effect. Shortly before considering putting my foot through the TV I found this forum and it eventually helped me along to the point of being confident enough to remove the back of my TV.

As a computer technician I generally deal with desktops and laptops. One of the first things we check for is bulging capacitors (small battery looking things on the boards).

After removing the plastic backing I started to remove panels to find the adjustment screws described on here. Instead, I immediately found 5 bulging capacitors on the top right of the main power board. I will be ordering the board and replacing it myself, just something to let others know what to possibly look out for.
post #184 of 194 Old 07-04-2010, 08:12 PM

This problem is called mal-discharge.

To "fix" you will either need a new control board (which comes from LG with new firmware) or have the firmware updated on your old control board. Depending on panel there maybe slight voltage adjustments required also. Updating the control board requires a special jig most LG shops should have one.

Making adjustments on the y-sus will only mask the problem for awhile.

i-need-a-beak.com
post #185 of 194 Old 01-13-2011, 08:18 AM

It has been over 2 years since I adjusted the voltage on the board and I am happy to report that the plasma is still working. Although it is now semi-retired into my bedroom with a new Panasonic plasma taking its place in the living room.
post #186 of 194 Old 01-13-2011, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citibatter View Post

It has been over 2 years since I adjusted the voltage on the board and I am happy to report that the plasma is still working. Although it is now semi-retired into my bedroom with a new Panasonic plasma taking its place in the living room.

My zenith has been kicking strong for years after the repair man replaced the panel and it still had and has sparkles lol. I need to try and adjust voltage but I think it's a lot of screws!

-J-
post #187 of 194 Old 01-13-2011, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have a similar but apparently less severe problem with my Philips plasma 9631; Philips and LG share the same or similar panels.

My red dots are not clumped; they are usually more visible upon startup esp. against black scenes. When the TV warms up, they are nearly impossible to see unless you get within 4' of the 50" TV. And you have to look for them individually and bouncing/jumping around only in certain (darker) parts of the picture.

Very tough to see on video/live or sports programming.
post #188 of 194 Old 02-15-2011, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citibatter View Post

My Hitachi Plasma finally died today. The red light disappeared and it just could not power on at all. Five years usage time in all.

Looks like I will be getting a new LG 50PK550 finally.
post #189 of 194 Old 05-17-2011, 07:23 PM
Advanced Member

I hope people subscribing to this thread will read this and post this crucial piece of information: Where does the the red and where does the black pointer of the voltage meter go?

Almost all people in the thread adjusted voltage by looking at the screen. But some TVs have not deteriorated enough for the red dots to constantly appear. They only appear sometimes and only later more and more. The way to fix them is just like most of you did, but only to use a voltage meter to connect to test points listed in the service manual of the TV.

You look at the voltage values listed when you open up your plasma and then connect the voltage meter to the specially located Test Points listed in the Service Manual (not regular manual) of the Plasma.

EDIT: Got it

BLACK digital multimeter test probe connects to the mounting screw and
RED digital multimeter test probe connects to the green tip of the Test Point in the picture, as illustrated in this picture, click here.

Digital Multmeter Settings: click here.

My thread about Red Snow / Red Dots Sparkling: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1334842

LL
LL
post #190 of 194 Old 05-25-2011, 01:22 PM

i had the same problem with my samsung 50c450 50" plasma 720p. went to the samsung website to see if there was anything to resolve this problem. they had a new firmware created just for the red snow problem. just upgraded the firmware and it seems to work great so far. i could see a big red spot when my tv was powering on before the firmware. after the firmware was installed i do not see it anymore. have two of these plasmas so hopefully it stays fixed. and hopefully they have this firmware upgrade for other brand tvs. hope this helps. easy fix!!
post #191 of 194 Old 08-18-2012, 10:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I just got a zenith (LG) 42" edtv for 50$.
When u turn it on it has green dots everywhere then it subsides then gets worse.
I brought it home and threw the back cover I could adjust the vs and another random pot. That helped but not fully
So I took the back off and used a marker to mark the original pot settings.then I turned the VA to high and the tv shut off oops. Then I turned that down tried some others then finally the setup pot fixed it all the dots are gone now.but it shuts itself off randomly now and says no input sometimes. Any idea what that could be the only ones I didn't mark were the 5v output and va
post #192 of 194 Old 08-22-2012, 06:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
If its an EDTV LG I can almost guarantee you've got bad caps on that power supply board if its got any kind of hours on it. I garbage picked a Gateway EDTV using mostly LG parts recently had domed caps all over the power supply and y-sus. Wouldn't even turn on. Think it had one on the sound board too, but the TV was built by Sampo using LG parts, so some of the stuff was Sampo.

You may have the VA too low for the other boards, especially if the power supply isn't up to snuff. You may have to bump the VA up just a tad then adjust the other pots to eliminate the pixels.

Testing the 5V with a multimeter should be no big deal. The pins are labled. As far as what the recommended drive is for the panel its on a sticker on the inside on the panel assembly, the obvious goal would be to match the settings on that. This might not be possible and might not eliminate the problem if you've got bad caps on the board.

I bought some cheap likely counterfeit caps from China, imagine that they can't be worse than the domed Samwha caps that were everywhere and just slapped those in. TV works fine now.

Think I spent about $12 for the required caps.

I'd start checking those voltages first and foremost, its easy enough to find the pins for the 5V and such on the back of the PS. Set those to the proper voltages on the back of the panel. If it doesn't work start looking for bad caps, or you can see if you can get it operational by tampering with slightly adjusting the voltages but again, the TV is pushing probably 8 years old by now, I dunno how those components might take the stress.

Depends on how long you want to keep it I guess.
post #193 of 194 Old 10-28-2012, 08:46 PM

My case is that the red dots (I call it my TV having the measles) appear all over the screen. Most noticable in white areas but also very noticable in green areas as well.
I've had it with DISH Network, Comcast as well as ROKU telecasts. It seems to be a failure of the TV itself. I have a 47 Inch Magnavox that is far outside of warranttee. Not dead pixels and not a control box issue since it has happened with several DISH network boxes, two different U-Verse boxes and now a Comcast box as well as my ROKU box too.
So it isn't a connector issue either since each of these used different connectors, both HDMI and RCA. It also occurs with my video camera when I hook it to the TV as well.
So it is either a worn out board or a board that isn't seated firmly enough because we did move recently. But it also could be a change in the voltages from bumping the TV around while moving it as well. Sure would like to know which boards are involved in this problem as well as which voltage adjustments to fiddle with since I can raise or lower them just as well as a repairman can if I know which ones and what the required voltage should be. Of course this[ info is virtually impossible to obtain unless you are a repairman in order for them to keep their jobs.
post #194 of 194 Old 02-25-2014, 05:04 AM

yes its a case of little movement on the voltage adjustment screws and the other side cscan can fine tune and sharpen,., scared of voltage screws but when wife came in left tele on ,. shut down and got worse one way other way got better ,. then other screw became perfect ,. saved £120 collection fee. £65 drop off fee and one fella walked out the house with a no call out fee......

get the back off people and play with the screws,., takes minutes to find but find them all before you start ., its clearly visibly written what each one adjusts ,.

THANKS JEFFF  ..... JEFF FOR MAYOR OF ANY CITY .......

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page