Akai PDP4225M plasma review? - Page 4 - AVS Forum
First ... 2  3  4 5  6  ... Last
Plasma Flat Panel Displays > Akai PDP4225M plasma review?
Midlife Crisis's Avatar Midlife Crisis 08:12 AM 03-03-2006
Actually if it is like the One for all Kameleon 6 remote I have you will not really need the JP1 feature. You can teach the remote by holding them nose to nose. It will take 1/2 an hour or so. Mine has a JP1 port but I do not have a cable. You could use it to back up your settings. Mine has a feature that holds the codes while batteries are replaced. Yours most likely will also. One thing I highly recommend is that you get a HDMI cable to hook up your Akai if your source provides it. It makes the picture much better. It has also eliminated my issues with very dark images, with the soap opera my wife watchs. Still enjoying mine.

TheVig's Avatar TheVig 12:59 PM 03-03-2006
I am considering purchasing this tv, it is now at walmart. But I am confused with the 1024x1024 resolution, I read in some sites that this resolution displays barely more lines than the Panasonic edtv. I hope someone can explain the resolution to me.
Midlife Crisis's Avatar Midlife Crisis 03:39 PM 03-03-2006
I wouldn't get too hung up on the specs. I believe most 42 inch plasma displays have 1024 by 768 resolution. A honest full resolution HD display is 1920X1080 and there are no plasmas and very few LCD displays that support that native resolution. Some networks only send a 720 line signal out. What ever you recieve is send to the TV which scales it to it's own resolution. I know Hitachi also uses the 1024 by 1024 display. It is too bad they do not still have the Akai at CC. We bought ours a CC and we could see them both side by side and we decided the Akai was better for us. The picture was definitely sharper by than the Panny but the Panny had better blacks. I would go to Wally World and check out the display if you like it buy it. I have never seen a individual plasma that looked "bad" when there was nothing to compare it with, except a few older displays with a red or green push, and that might have just been the individual set.
loihuynh's Avatar loihuynh 09:00 PM 03-03-2006
Hi everyone again.

I connect my Phillip DVD player to this PDP4225M today via Component source and it showed up all BLUE. I mean the pictures are all the same color. I tried a deferent cable, changed the input, change another DVD with no luck. ALL PICTURE BLUE on both Component Input .. Any idea to fix this or just return the tv?
Midlife Crisis's Avatar Midlife Crisis 10:34 PM 03-03-2006
When you say all blue, do you mean a blue screen with no picture? or a picture with a blue color to it. First use your source button and make sure you are on the YPbPr1 source. then plug your cables in to that input. If it was a blue screen with no image that should fix it. If you can see a picture but it appears all blue check that the cables are in the right order on both ends. Red-red green-green blue-blue. Also make sure your DVD is set to Component output. As a last resort try the svideo to make sure. If svideo works double check your cables and the connections... I'm an engineer and still have to stop and think about how I hook these things up....
SunZmSpark's Avatar SunZmSpark 07:09 AM 03-04-2006
After looking at the manual posted for the PDP4273M, I have noticed a slight difference between the two models (this could also be just a technical update). The PDP4273M has a set of standard speaker terminals for attaching external speakers. The PDP4225M has a pair of RCA jacks for external speakers. They are located to the left of the far right S-Video and L-R input jacks. Also, the INFARED jack is located above the HDMI port on the PDP4225M. The IR is internal on the PDP4273M. That would also explain the lack of oval IR window on the center of the silver speaker box of the PDP4273M.

NOTE: I decided to remove the speaker box on my PDP4225M and relocated the IR to an external black box that I mounted to the front of the TV. Not as elegant as I wanted, but I prefer it to the large silver structure on the bottom.
Stik69's Avatar Stik69 01:55 PM 03-05-2006
SunZM, I too was considering relocating the speakers and IR, but it looked too daunting. How did you do disconnect/remove the front grill? What, specifically, is the IR "black box" you mentioned? Do you have to use powered speakers, or are you routing the sound through your stereo?
Thanks for any advice, Stik69
Stik69's Avatar Stik69 02:02 PM 03-05-2006
PIP hookup woes.
Several members say they're using PIP or split screen. I haven't broken the code on how to hook it up. I have a comcast DVR and I run YBR cables to the set. I also have a DVD player hooked via the AV input. Any advice?
Thanks
meant2live's Avatar meant2live 12:13 AM 03-06-2006
this TV is still the best purchase ive made..

i just hate how it wont take the COX remote codes..
db130's Avatar db130 09:04 AM 03-06-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunZmSpark View Post

After looking at the manual posted for the PDP4273M, I have noticed a slight difference between the two models (this could also be just a technical update). The PDP4273M has a set of standard speaker terminals for attaching external speakers. The PDP4225M has a pair of RCA jacks for external speakers.

For what it is worth, my PDP4225M has standard speaker terminals.
4nryde's Avatar 4nryde 01:52 PM 03-06-2006
I have owned the TV for awhile now and I am still impressed with the picture. One thing I have noticed is while watching dark scenes on SD cable, I see green pixels/noise in the black areas. When I switch to an HDTV station sometimes playing the same program they seem to dissappear. Have also noticed this on some DVDS, but my DVD player is a cheapo that is several years old. Anyone else experiencing this or something similar?
SunZmSpark's Avatar SunZmSpark 03:03 PM 03-06-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stik69 View Post

SunZM, I too was considering relocating the speakers and IR, but it looked too daunting. How did you do disconnect/remove the front grill? What, specifically, is the IR "black box" you mentioned? Do you have to use powered speakers, or are you routing the sound through your stereo?
Thanks for any advice, Stik69

It's not that difficult to dis-assemble. Just requires the removal of several screws. Once you remove the speaker enclosure, unplug the speaker wires and RF. Then you remove the screws on the enclosure. Open the enclosure and remove the RF. The RF is a small circuit board (in the center of the speaker enclosure) held in place by two screws and a screw securing the wire.

The black box is just a small kit box from the local Fry's for a couple bucks. I drilled holes for the RF, power light and cable. Placed some velcro on it and mounted the box to the bottom of the frame. That's it. All my sound goes through my home theater system.
MattKaye's Avatar MattKaye 05:02 PM 03-06-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunZmSpark View Post

It's not that difficult to dis-assemble. Just requires the removal of several screws. Once you remove the speaker enclosure, unplug the speaker wires and RF. Then you remove the screws on the enclosure. Open the enclosure and remove the RF. The RF is a small circuit board (in the center of the speaker enclosure) held in place by two screws and a screw securing the wire.

The black box is just a small kit box from the local Fry's for a couple bucks. I drilled holes for the RF, power light and cable. Placed some velcro on it and mounted the box to the bottom of the frame. That's it. All my sound goes through my home theater system.

Post some pictures!
SunZmSpark's Avatar SunZmSpark 04:00 AM 03-07-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattKaye View Post

Post some pictures!

I've never placed pictures in a thread before, so I need some guidance. I tried the "Insert Image" option, but it only lists the path --- doesn't display the image. Do I need to upload the image to a server?

It's not the most elegant modification, but it works for me. (The box is about 2.25" wide by 1.5" tall, and .75" deep. The RF board is about 2"x .8".) I'm still looking at other options to relocate the sensor. The current method doesn't involve any permanent alteration to the system, so I can always restore it to it's original state.
SunZmSpark's Avatar SunZmSpark 04:09 AM 03-07-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stik69 View Post

PIP hookup woes.
Several members say they're using PIP or split screen. I haven't broken the code on how to hook it up. I have a comcast DVR and I run YBR cables to the set. I also have a DVD player hooked via the AV input. Any advice?
Thanks

From what I can tell, it looks like PIP only works with AV as the second source (maybe VGA as well). I haven't found any options to select the second source... I also haven't spent much time troubleshooting this either. The manual is not very informative and the Akai website is lacking specifics too.
db130's Avatar db130 09:09 AM 03-07-2006
To select the source for PIP or split screen, first hit the W Select button to select the "window" that you want(the window will turn green around the edges), and then hit the Source button.
audiopho's Avatar audiopho 09:18 AM 03-07-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4nryde View Post

I have owned the TV for awhile now and I am still impressed with the picture. One thing I have noticed is while watching dark scenes on SD cable, I see green pixels/noise in the black areas. When I switch to an HDTV station sometimes playing the same program they seem to dissappear. Have also noticed this on some DVDS, but my DVD player is a cheapo that is several years old. Anyone else experiencing this or something similar?

yes I have seen and noticed that too but you have to be very close to the set which is impractical during normal viewing anyway. Lower either the brightness or contrast will make less visible.
I just hooked up my new DirecTv HD receiver (model H20, I think) and try to make the DTV remote to program or learn the Akai to no prevail.
Does any one have any luck doing this?
SunZmSpark's Avatar SunZmSpark 03:17 PM 03-07-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by db130 View Post

To select the source for PIP or split screen, first hit the W Select button to select the "window" that you want(the window will turn green around the edges), and then hit the Source button.

Thanks for the tip. I tried this and it only allows me to choose between AV and S-Video. The TV won't allow me to choose the other component as the second PIP window. Am I missing something? Does this work for you?
dextius's Avatar dextius 07:07 PM 03-07-2006
Just bought and took back a 50 inch Akai Plasma. It was ridiculously impressive in person, especially for the price..[EDIT]!!! It was on clearance at Sam's Club. I took it home and hooked it up to my dvd player..

1. It ghosted worse than my old pentium 75 Dual Scan LCD..
2. When watching a DVD, the letterboxes STROBED. And it wasn't because of increased lighting elsewhere, it simply strobed off and on, uncontrolably.

Very sad panda.

I guess I'll have to spend the extra $ to get something worth while.. Panasonic 50PX60U it is then..

cheers,

dextius

EDIT>>

mod note: no price other than MSRP, please. Thansk
db130's Avatar db130 06:34 AM 03-08-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunZmSpark View Post

Thanks for the tip. I tried this and it only allows me to choose between AV and S-Video. The TV won't allow me to choose the other component as the second PIP window. Am I missing something? Does this work for you?

That is correct, unless you have the AV source as the "Main" window of PIP/split screen, AV and S-Video are your only choices.

If the AV source is your main feed, you can choose between Component1, Component2, VGA, and HDMI for the other window.
Midlife Crisis's Avatar Midlife Crisis 12:31 PM 03-08-2006
[quote=dextius]Just bought and took back a 50 inch Akai Plasma. It was ridiculously impressive in person, especially for the price..[EDIT]!!! It was on clearance at Sam's Club. I took it home and hooked it up to my dvd player..

1. It ghosted worse than my old pentium 75 Dual Scan LCD..
2. When watching a DVD, the letterboxes STROBED. And it wasn't because of increased lighting elsewhere, it simply strobed off and on, uncontrolably.

Very sad panda.

I guess I'll have to spend the extra $ to get something worth while.. Panasonic 50PX60U it is then..

cheers,

dextius

Too bad you had issues with a 50 inch Akai. On the other hand it has nothing to do with the 42 inch Akai plasmas in this discussion. Hope you did some trouble shooting to make sure you do not have issues with cables or the signal you where feeding the plasma. We all hope you enjoy the Panasonic in couple years we will probably be purchasing the new and improved Panny for $899.
audiopho's Avatar audiopho 12:38 PM 03-08-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by dextius View Post

Just bought and took back a 50 inch Akai Plasma. It was ridiculously impressive in person, especially for the price..[EDIT]!!! It was on clearance at Sam's Club. I took it home and hooked it up to my dvd player..

1. It ghosted worse than my old pentium 75 Dual Scan LCD..
2. When watching a DVD, the letterboxes STROBED. And it wasn't because of increased lighting elsewhere, it simply strobed off and on, uncontrolably.

It sounds like a setup issue at the dvd end to me. Have you tried another source such as hdtv tuner (OTA), using dvi or hdmi?
My dyd player is an 3 yrs old Sony (progressive) and its pictures look great even in component inputs.
I then used the Oppo dvd player with dvi out, then again pictures look smooth and close to hd quality.
Using the new DirecTV H20 set top with hdmi output, turning on Discovery-HD or HDNet. And the pictures were...
Wow this is where I grin with a huge smile on my face. This is where the $1200 spent worth every penny!!!!!
martan's Avatar martan 01:12 PM 03-08-2006
I have never owned a plasma or lcd or any large screen set. I subscribe to Directv and have poor antenna reception, so get local channels thru Directv too. Would this AKAI be an acceptable set with Directv even if I don't get their HDTV package? Why wouldn't I want this set?
audiopho's Avatar audiopho 01:49 PM 03-08-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by martan View Post

I have never owned a plasma or lcd or any large screen set. I subscribe to Directv and have poor antenna reception, so get local channels thru Directv too. Would this AKAI be an acceptable set with Directv even if I don't get their HDTV package? Why wouldn't I want this set?

Yes, IMO. You can just tune in all OTA HD or DTV stations in your local and maintaining a subscription service with *D. Even regular SD channels look fabulous too.
WhiteRabbit360's Avatar WhiteRabbit360 04:39 PM 03-08-2006
I saw this at my local CCity for a good price, and was thinking of getting it.

Does anyone know how good the Xbox 360 looks on the set?
cjlawson's Avatar cjlawson 04:43 PM 03-08-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteRabbit360 View Post

I saw this at my local CCity for a good price, and was thinking of getting it.

Does anyone know how good the Xbox 360 looks on the set?

Awsome!
WhiteRabbit360's Avatar WhiteRabbit360 04:47 PM 03-08-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjlawson View Post

Awsome!

Really? This plasma would be used for 85% Xbox 360 use so I'm trying to find out as much about gaming on it as I can. Anyone have pictures? I wonder if a store would let me bring in my 360 and hook it up before I buy it
SunZmSpark's Avatar SunZmSpark 05:15 PM 03-08-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiopho View Post

Yes, IMO. You can just tune in all OTA HD or DTV stations in your local and maintaining a subscription service with *D. Even regular SD channels look fabulous too.

Unfortunately, you'd have to buy an additional HD tuner to get the OTA signal, since the Akai is only a monitor.
cjlawson's Avatar cjlawson 09:16 PM 03-08-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteRabbit360 View Post

Really? This plasma would be used for 85% Xbox 360 use so I'm trying to find out as much about gaming on it as I can. Anyone have pictures? I wonder if a store would let me bring in my 360 and hook it up before I buy it

Yes it will give you a nice sharp picture. Just make sure you keep your contrast low to avoid burn in.

This t.v. still continues to impress. Especially for the price.
audiopho's Avatar audiopho 07:27 AM 03-09-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunZmSpark View Post

Unfortunately, you'd have to buy an additional HD tuner to get the OTA signal, since the Akai is only a monitor.

Agree! My reply was to answer his DirecTV question. With DirecTV, you must use their STB, regardless sd or hd.
In this case mine was a H20 model that comes with HDMI output and it works great in conjunction with my new AKai Plasma. Most HD channels look incredibly in details/textures/colors rendering. To make it even look better I will have to do another round of color calibration when the set totally broken in.
First ... 2  3  4 5  6  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop