Official Vizio P50HD Thread ( part 2): NO PRICING: Technical Issues ONLY! - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 4456 Old 03-20-2006, 04:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just set up my new Vizio 50, when watching on wide mode SD the pixels seem non-existent on the right side of the screen. Probably 3-4 rows. Is this the feed? I'm upgrading to a new Direct Tv HD-DVR next monday. Hope the screen fills then.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 4456 Old 03-20-2006, 04:32 PM

Not that I don't agree with your right's to demand satisfaction from Vizio, but you guys are either much pickier than I am or have worse sets (but I doubt they would differ much).

I spent 5 years with an RPTV trying to get the geometry and overscan as correct as possible. Going into the service menu, creating the grid etc. etc. I was eventually as satisifed as I was going to get with it but it was nowhere near as good as the Vizio is out of the box. I'm very happy.

pdawg, do you have a cable box that can output at 720p? My SA will and while I understand that 1080i programs should theoretically look better getting output from the box at 1080i and then scaled by the Vizio to native resolution, I personally have noticed no difference with the SA set to output at 1080i vs. 720p. This is through HDMI.

But then again, I didn't notice any overscan difference at those 2 resolutions either

I'm getting old and wise enough now after having played with HT for about 6 years that I know whenever possible not to go looking for problems, you ALWAYS will find some.
post #363 of 4456 Old 03-20-2006, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by texaspledge View Post

Not that I don't agree with your right's to demand satisfaction from Vizio, but you guys are either much pickier than I am or have worse sets (but I doubt they would differ much).

I spent 5 years with an RPTV trying to get the geometry and overscan as correct as possible. Going into the service menu, creating the grid etc. etc. I was eventually as satisifed as I was going to get with it but it was nowhere near as good as the Vizio is out of the box. I'm very happy.

pdawg, do you have a cable box that can output at 720p? My SA will and while I understand that 1080i programs should theoretically look better getting output from the box at 1080i and then scaled by the Vizio to native resolution, I personally have noticed no difference with the SA set to output at 1080i vs. 720p. This is through HDMI.

But then again, I didn't notice any overscan difference at those 2 resolutions either

I'm getting old and wise enough now after having played with HT for about 6 years that I know whenever possible not to go looking for problems, you ALWAYS will find some.

Haha...great post...you are right although I didn't go looking for the overscan problem...I saw it when half of the score ticker during March Madness was cut off...and honestly I noticed the vertical scaling abnormality just by watching shows in HD...I didn't go measuring the screen or anything at first...faces just looked slightly elongated...I then paused the screen and switched to 720p and there is a difference even with just the naked eye...I agree though that I don't think my set is worse (I don't see how) so I must just be more "sensitive" to these things...I agree that things look about the same using 720p but I hate knowing that theoretically I should set it at 1080i for those sources and I know that with this set if you want an accurate picture, you have to use 720p...thanks for the post though...
post #364 of 4456 Old 03-20-2006, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailingedge View Post

A little history:

The HD feed on my mom's cable box went dead last week. She has standard analog basic service with a cable box for basic HD channels. The cable guy came out to fix it (I wasn't around). Now I am noticing that she is able to use the wide/normal/zoom function on her TV even when it is being fed an HD picture. This seems unusual. I have the same TV, and I don't believe I can mess around with any aspect ratio settings on an HD feed.

And with her cable box set to either 1080i or 720p, I can't get rid of vertical bars on standard analog channels, even with the TV aspect ratio set to wide. In fact, I can only get two HD channels to fill out the entire TV screen, unless I manually change the cable box picture format setting to "stretch," but then thse two HD channels are overstretched from left to right while the analog channels are properly stretched. And the rest of the digital channels are all improperly sized.

So, I'm wondering if anyone thinks this is a problem with the TV's scaler or with the cable box. I assume there's something wrong with the box, but the fact that I can successfully get two HD feeds and yet I can still mess around with the aspect ratio makes me wonder if it's a weird problem with the scaler. Any insight would be appreciated!

There's nothing wrong with either the cable box or the TV, it's the setup on the cable box. What type of connection is between your mom's cable box and the TV? HDMI, component, S-Video? What formats do you allow the cable box to send to the TV? Take a look at the SA8300 area of the forum, ex:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post4682052
post #365 of 4456 Old 03-20-2006, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdawg17 View Post

I'll go in on that with you...I know I said "I don't care that much" but I do care...I just don't know how much the overscan problem has to do with the vertical scaling problem or if they are separate issues...and we definitely need to call because I emailed them a week ago about the scaling issues and they have yet to reply...another way to fix several of these issues is to get the service menu code! I think it's embarrassing that we don't have it yet! I will pay someone big money to get it...

youre right pdawg...its service menu, or back the set goes. i want to adjust the scaling and overscan as much as possible. and to answer your other question, i got those measurements on hdmi. on component, 1080i overscan is not as bad.
post #366 of 4456 Old 03-20-2006, 08:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 20
This evening I bought the 50" Vizio PDP at Sam's; will pick it up in a couple of days using my friend's p/u truck (and the friend too). The 50" PDP will replace my deceased Sony 36" XBR CRT (240 lbs.)

I actually went to Sam's to buy the Vizio L37 for the bedroom, which I did p/u and it's up an running now. I had intended to ponder the plasma decision a few more days or weeks, but I saw that Sam's had only one of the P50HDs left in the box, so I made the plunge tonight rather than lose out altogether (or have to wait for another uncertain shipment of Vizio plasmas to Sam's). Last Saturday, Sam's had about 10 of these in stock.

Does this P50HD plasma panel need the 100-hour break-in as most PDPs do?
Is there an built-in screen wash (e.g. , white noise) function to correct image latency?

I may be seeking advice from the forum experts very soon on mounting the panel. I have a real mounting puzzle on my hands with this panel and my existing home entertainment center. More to follow on this issue later this week.

Funny, my house has been wall-to-wall Sony for about 30 years, now here I am buying Vizio.

When in doubt, do the right thing.
post #367 of 4456 Old 03-20-2006, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee View Post

There's nothing wrong with either the cable box or the TV, it's the setup on the cable box. What type of connection is between your mom's cable box and the TV? HDMI, component, S-Video? What formats do you allow the cable box to send to the TV? Take a look at the SA8300 area of the forum, ex:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post4682052

emcee, thanks for the help. that was a very helpful link.
post #368 of 4456 Old 03-21-2006, 05:41 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgooter View Post

This evening I bought the 50" Vizio PDP at Sam's; will pick it up in a couple of days using my friend's p/u truck (and the friend too). The 50" PDP will replace my deceased Sony 36" XBR CRT (240 lbs.)

I actually went to Sam's to buy the Vizio L37 for the bedroom, which I did p/u and it's up an running now. I had intended to ponder the plasma decision a few more days or weeks, but I saw that Sam's had only one of the P50HDs left in the box, so I made the plunge tonight rather than lose out altogether (or have to wait for another uncertain shipment of Vizio plasmas to Sam's). Last Saturday, Sam's had about 10 of these in stock.

Does this P50HD plasma panel need the 100-hour break-in as most PDPs do?
Is there an built-in screen wash (e.g. , white noise) function to correct image latency?

I may be seeking advice from the forum experts very soon on mounting the panel. I have a real mounting puzzle on my hands with this panel and my existing home entertainment center. More to follow on this issue later this week.

Funny, my house has been wall-to-wall Sony for about 30 years, now here I am buying Vizio.

Congrats, based on my experience you will be very happy with the Vizio. Regarding break-in, I followed it (and am still following it), I've had my set since January. There is a built-in screen washer, I've used it several times although I didn't see any image "sticking" before I used it. (I am using my HTPC to watch most things, so the desktop is visible from time to time, I haven't seen any problems with the desktop image sticking). Just set your contrast and brightness to the low 40's and make sure you watch things stretched (full screen) for a while.
post #369 of 4456 Old 03-21-2006, 06:33 AM
Advanced Member

Advice needed about production build dates:
It occurs to me that the P50HD panel that I will pick up tomorrow evening from Sam's has a build number of F53. I seem to recall some discussions in this thread about distinctions from early "F build" numbers versus early "G build" numbers.

Are there any significant concerns that I should consider regarding my F53 build number?

Expressed differently: Should I take possession of the F53 panel or would I be wise to continue searching a few other Sam's stores nearby for an early G build number PDP? If so, why?

Thanks folks.

post #370 of 4456 Old 03-21-2006, 06:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperco View Post

Congrats, based on my experience you will be very happy with the Vizio. Regarding break-in, I followed it (and am still following it), I've had my set since January.

Thanks for the good info and advice, which I will follow.

post #371 of 4456 Old 03-21-2006, 11:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbroders View Post

The screws holes are metric M8 with a thread pitch of 1.25mm. The holes are 600mm x 200mm apart. Don't get M8 bolts with a 1mm thread pitch - they won't fit. Also, obviously 5/16" bolts (coarse or fine thread) won't fit.

Bob

Bob, thanks! Great info. I didn't quite understand your reference to distance? 600mm x 200mm... What does this mean?

THanks!
post #372 of 4456 Old 03-21-2006, 11:49 AM

Have had pretty bad luck on my end. Bought my first set right at launch and had issues with the image cutting out during cut scenes in CSI, explosions, etc..., had the loud fans and the buzzing board. Received board and fan replacements in December. The noice from the fans went to almost zilch, unforunately this made the bizzing even more noticiable and then the PQ went to crap. Recevied a replacement unit in late January after significant complaning to Vizio, had major issues with the delivery and they replaced the unit with a build that was even older than my first unit. Now the new unit has the same buzzing, picture going to black issue, and now even has problems in the PIP where the PIP will black out after a while. The source is fine as the image comes back if I switch to PIP to main or if I close and re-open the PIP. Both PIP sources are Analog HD. I know there are good sets out there, just need to guage if it's worth another fiasco to try to get one.
post #373 of 4456 Old 03-21-2006, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Advice needed about production build dates:
It occurs to me that the P50HD panel that I will pick up tomorrow evening from Sam's has a build number of F53. I seem to recall some discussions in this thread about distinctions from early "F build" numbers versus early "G build" numbers.

Are there any significant concerns that I should consider regarding my F53 build number?

Expressed differently: Should I take possession of the F53 panel or would I be wise to continue searching a few other Sam's stores nearby for an early G build number PDP? If so, why?

Thanks folks.

f53 is last week of december. that should be as good as youre going to get for now. g05's are the same
post #374 of 4456 Old 03-21-2006, 02:57 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks dtrell.

I'll check out the shelf stock when I pick up the PDP tomorrow, just in case they have a newer one available.

post #375 of 4456 Old 03-21-2006, 03:03 PM
Advanced Member

[quote=bradesp]I'm looking to use the Omnimount Wishbone plasma mount. [quote]

I looked at that mount several times last week on the web. It looks superb -- strong materials and a great design... but it should be for that price!

I think I will go with the simple flush wall mount from Vizio.

post #376 of 4456 Old 03-21-2006, 03:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Anbody using a PC on the RGB input? If so, please visit the thread below. Thanks

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...96#post7349896
post #377 of 4456 Old 03-21-2006, 04:11 PM

Hi,
The Vizio website says that the P50HDM has 231 Billion colors, whereas the boxes I saw in the warehouse stores mention only 1.07 Billion colors. Does is mean that the ones in the stores are 2005 models, while a 2006 model is also out, apparently with the same model number?
Thanks.
Mehul
post #378 of 4456 Old 03-22-2006, 06:45 AM

I've had the P50HDM for 4 days now and every time it is off overnight it will not come on in the morning. The green light will come on but there is no response from the remote or side panel buttons after that. It is just a blank screen. Can't even power off with power button on side. Have to unplug power cord from back and then it comes on and works. It then seem to work fine using remote for a short period of time after power reset. Seems to not like being powered off for long periods of time. I did see others had had similar problems but never saw a resolution. It is a G02 build and I did send email to VINC support but have no reply yet. Anyone seen solution to this?

PJ
post #379 of 4456 Old 03-22-2006, 09:16 AM
Advanced Member

Do you see that the problem is related to the volume level on the Viz. I have my sound coming in from the cable box. When I mute the sound on the cable box, and set the Vizio volume at about 75% and higher, I hear a buzz. Is this the buzz you are hearing.
post #380 of 4456 Old 03-22-2006, 09:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Could someone give me the size of the stand for the P50HD, most importantly how wide it is, and how fan in front it extends? I might be mounting this above a fireplace, but there is a cutout in the wall so I can't wall mount it. However, there is a mantle that it can possibly stand on (I'd attach it with cables to the wall in the back, to prevent it from falling over) but only if the stand is the right size. Also, from the front of the stand, to the back of the plasma (not the stand), how much clearance would I need? Thanks.

Chris Heinonen
Senior Editor, Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity, www.hometheaterhifi.com
Displays Editor, AnandTech.com
Contributor, HDGuru.com and Wirecutter.com
ISF Level II Certified Calibrator, ReferenceHomeTheater.com
post #381 of 4456 Old 03-22-2006, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marchristensen View Post

Do you see that the problem is related to the volume level on the Viz. I have my sound coming in from the cable box. When I mute the sound on the cable box, and set the Vizio volume at about 75% and higher, I hear a buzz. Is this the buzz you are hearing.

Ha. No, that's not the buzz I'm hearing. But thank you for pointing that out. This is my second set, and I was thinking this one seemed just a little louder than the previous one. Turns out, I hadn't turned the volume down on the TV itself. The speakers do emit a bit of noise if not turned down.

So, that could very well be part of what some people are hearing. However, after turning the TV's volume down, I can still hear (a more quiet) buzzing during bright scenes. I've chosen to ignore it and get on with enjoying the television.
post #382 of 4456 Old 03-22-2006, 10:21 AM

I've had my P50 for about 3 weeks now and absolutely love it. Last night, while feeding the baby, I noticed that there was some image sticking from my wife watching a non-16:9 broadcast. I failed to train her about the burn in porceedure . My bad. So I did a screen wash and all is well.

My question:
What is the best output format to set on the Motorola?

I'd personally rather have the box or TV stretch the image during breakin so that newbies don't need to bother with the zoom function.

My setup:
Motorola DCT6416III (a great HD DVR)
Viz p50hd
HDMI cable (provided by Cox...might get a better one)
Output Options: 1080i (Sidebar 4:3, Stretch 4:3, Preserve 4.3 480p, Pres. 4.3 480i), 720p (same options as prior), 480p WIDE, 480p Std, 480i Std.

Thanks,
Steve
post #383 of 4456 Old 03-22-2006, 10:51 AM
Advanced Member

Does anyone know for certain that the Sanus Flush Wall Mount (model # VMPL2S)will fit the bolt /hole pattern on the back of the P50HD?

I checked the Sanus site, but their listings also state they have not confirmed the hole pattern for the P50HD, which causes some concern about correct fit.

post #384 of 4456 Old 03-22-2006, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbrue View Post

I've had the P50HDM for 4 days now and every time it is off overnight it will not come on in the morning. The green light will come on but there is no response from the remote or side panel buttons after that. It is just a blank screen. Can't even power off with power button on side. Have to unplug power cord from back and then it comes on and works. It then seem to work fine using remote for a short period of time after power reset. Seems to not like being powered off for long periods of time. I did see others had had similar problems but never saw a resolution. It is a G02 build and I did send email to VINC support but have no reply yet. Anyone seen solution to this?

PJ

What kind of cable box are you using? Are you using the HDMI connection? I have had similar problems with my G03. I have the Scientific Atlantic 8300HD DVR through brighthouse/time warner. I think the problem stems from the handshake between the vizio and 8300hd. It has been recoomended to me to try using component instead of HDMI. I tried changing the 8300 box out for one with firewire ports as was also suggested. This seemed to work for a while, but it has since locked up (wouldn't turn off or on without unplugging power) twice over the last few days.

I think I will just have to use component.
post #385 of 4456 Old 03-22-2006, 11:03 AM

Quote:

Does anyone know for certain that the Sanus Flush Wall Mount (model # VMPL2S)will fit the bolt /hole pattern on the back of the P50HD?

I checked the Sanus site, but their listings also state they have not confirmed the hole pattern for the P50HD, which causes some concern about correct fit.

Is there a reason you don't want to use the Vizio wall mount? From all accounts, it seems to be both the most economical (esp. if you use the couplon that comes with the set), and at least as capable as anything else out there - tilt and flush mount are available

Bobzilla
post #386 of 4456 Old 03-22-2006, 11:31 AM

I am using Directv H20 receiver with HDMI. I did call into tech support and they said to try and unplug for at least 2-3 minutes and then see if same results. I think they realize box is bad just trying to isolate where problem is before tech is dispatched. The tech support guy has the same P50HDM and H20 receiver and HDMI at his home and it works fine.
post #387 of 4456 Old 03-22-2006, 12:00 PM

I just got off the phone with Vizio tech support, where I was basically complaining about the lack of discrete codes, esp. for input selection, and the inability to label the inputs, and also the inability to turn off unused inputs. This makes setting up a reliable macro in a programmable remote almost impossible.

I thought I was going to have to shell out $$$ for a Denon AVR-2807 or another of the newer HT receivers with HDMI support to accomplish my goal.

However, the Vizio tech support guy had a good idea for a workaround. On the remote, there are buttons labeled "AV", "Analog HD", and "Digital HD". These are shortcuts to the S-video, component, and HDMI inputs respectively. They will select the first input initially and when pressed again will toggle to the second. Using this information, you can assemble an IR macro that will select the exact input you want. At most it will take three IR codes--for example, if you want to select Digital HD 2, you send "AV"-"Digital HD"-"Digital HD". The preceding "AV" command is there to ensure the first Digital HD command selects Digital HD 1.
post #388 of 4456 Old 03-22-2006, 01:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccon View Post

Is there a reason you don't want to use the Vizio wall mount? From all accounts, it seems to be both the most economical (esp. if you use the couplon that comes with the set), and at least as capable as anything else out there - tilt and flush mount are available

Ultimately, I may choose the Vizio flush wall mount, since I know it's a sure fit. However, the Sanus can be purchased for much less than MSRP and for less than the Vizio, and the weight load factor is 175lbs. versus 150lbs. for the Vizio. Later on, if I wanted to move up to a Pioneer 61" PDP, the panel weighs 150lbs., so a little more mount strength now may come in handy later.

post #389 of 4456 Old 03-22-2006, 04:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccon View Post

My situation is I have a cubby over a fireplace. The cubby is "inset" approx. 12". I want to be able to pull the panel out beyond the face of the mantel for tweaking wiring, etc.

bradesp
post #390 of 4456 Old 03-22-2006, 05:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page