Official Vizio P50HD Thread ( part 2): NO PRICING: Technical Issues ONLY! - Page 149 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #4441 of 4456 Old 02-03-2011, 01:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by solidus13 View Post

At this point I could attempt to find the right part if you guys could help me and attempt to solder ( I have no experience), or take the board into a shop and have them do it for me.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidus13 View Post

on a second look, I think the capacitors are correct, so now I guess my question would just be whatever tips you guys might have for soldering, as in type of soldering iron ( mine is just a basic weller with no temp control dial) and whether it is ok to just use some radio shack desoldering braid for desoldering and cleaning up my joints.

Replacing parts on printed circuit boards that you want to work properly when done, is not the best way to go when you are also to trying to learn how to solder. Might be a good idea to find some kind of junk printed circuit boards, to practice removing and replacing parts on first. Unsolder some parts on them, and then solder them back on. Either that, or pay someone you may know that is experienced at soldering parts on circuit boards to do it for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4442 of 4456 Old 02-03-2011, 11:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Replacing the big can electrolytic caps is just about the easiest work that can be done on the circuit board. IMO not out of the capabilites of a beginner even with the most basic soldering iron as they arent too terribly sensitive to heat in comparison to other components. Ceramic and other types are a different story though.

Solder braid would work, though is best used to remove/clean old solder after the component is removed. I would use even a cheap solder pump(vac) rather than braid by itself. If the pads are corroded from leaking electrolyte, clean them up with a toothbrush and iso alcohol. Make sure your caps are being replaced at the same polarity, use a clean, sponged and tinned solder tip, rosin core solder or separate flux.

As per the above post advice it would be a good idea to practice desolder / solder on and old pcb if possible.

Im just a tinkerer, not an expert so keep that in mind if you use my advice.

The bad news is that for all those caps to fail it would seem likely that there is some other component with a short causing the problem. Caps are cheap so I'd probably replace them with hope, however stand clear when powering keeping safety in mind as they could fail again violently spreading corrosive electrolyte.

** I dont know what other's situations were with bad capacitors on the PS board (that you referred to) and if replacing them fixed the problem or not, but after seeing your picture of the AC supply combined with the large number of swelled caps, I'd be REALLY be leaning towards the opinion that is just the byproduct of a different problem. Again, however, caps are cheap so its worth a shot.
post #4443 of 4456 Old 02-17-2011, 07:32 PM

My p50 just got the POD. I bought mine from Costco back in late 2005. I went to the original place of purchase since I should be "covered" under the old policy and the store manager was unwilling to offer anything except whatever justified excuses to cover his back; a simpleton. I contacted another Costco and talked to the supervisor and he was readily to accept the defect TV as long as there's a problem with it. I bought in the TV (no box) and told the return lady that the supervisor confirmed the return and 10 mins later, I got back about 3k in cash.

It sucks that this P50 has such a defect but I am glad based from reading the comments that Vizio is willing to help fix the problem. I hope everyone that has this defect has good available options to choose from in dealing with this issue.
post #4444 of 4456 Old 03-14-2011, 08:32 AM

Vizio VP50 FIX..... see link below

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...php?p=20143429
post #4445 of 4456 Old 04-17-2011, 04:41 PM

i've got a JV50P model that has died. i've read as many posts as i can and it appears this is a troublesome model. i don't think i had the PoD. It was fine one day and then not the next. It will power up and the "vizio" turns white like usual. when it tries to access a signal the "vizio" starts to blink or pulsate. it stays white and never turn back amber. i can call up the menu, change inputs, etc, just keeps saying no signal.

i tried to unplug it and hold the power button for 30sec but no luck.

1. am i in the right thread?
2. if so, any ideas before i dig into it and start playing with the voltmeter?
post #4446 of 4456 Old 04-18-2011, 06:39 AM

The HDM50 that we talk about here was a very early model plasma display and didn't even have a tuner. The JV50 was a generation or 2 later and probably doesn't suffer the same problems as the HDM50.

Does your set proclaim "no signal" when you have it connected to a video source like a DVD player or does it only do so when you're trying to receive a signal directly from an antenna or cable source (without a separate cable box)? If the problem occurs with all sources, then the problem is probably with the input board. If it only does so for TV stations, then it's the tuner.

I'd check with Vizio and see if they have authorized repair in your area. They might fix it for a reasonable price, or you might be able to replace the affected board yourself. Just remember, a 50" 720p plasma like the JV50 only costs about $600 now.
post #4447 of 4456 Old 04-18-2011, 05:50 PM

thanks for the reply. i pulled the cover last night and all the capacitors looked ok to the naked eye. i pulled out the voltmeter and figured i'd work my way around looking for anything suspicious. with the power on and the meter set to Volts AC, i tested the first wires coming off the power cord just off a little box that states it is a noise suppressor. i got a spark and heard a pop. not sure what i did wrong. should i be testing all power internally DC? i figured, that close to the power cord was AC.

to answer your question, it says no signal in every mode except tuner which just gives a blank screen.

thanks.
post #4448 of 4456 Old 04-18-2011, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jafo9 View Post

i got a spark and heard a pop. not sure what i did wrong.

You need to be VERY careful poking around inside of a Television set. Unlike other electronics there's things that could potentially kill you inside and you're not too far from them with what you're working on.

Jer

'Build a man a fire and he stays warm for one night. Set a man afire and he stays warm for the rest of his life.'
post #4449 of 4456 Old 04-18-2011, 07:06 PM

agreed, thats why i stopped. but shouldn't i be able to test each board for power?
post #4450 of 4456 Old 06-03-2011, 02:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 44
My daughter fell asleep with the Netflix login over night. I now how red burn in on my screen. I have had my PD50HD for 5 years and I haven't had any problems. I ran the screen image cleaner and it helped, but after a few days it comes back. Does anyone have any suggestions?
post #4451 of 4456 Old 06-04-2011, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by sojodave View Post

My daughter fell asleep with the Netflix login over night. I now how red burn in on my screen. I have had my PD50HD for 5 years and I haven't had any problems. I ran the screen image cleaner and it helped, but after a few days it comes back. Does anyone have any suggestions?

This works well for me:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...81#post6230381

Styln
post #4452 of 4456 Old 01-09-2012, 08:35 AM

I have a VP50HDTV20A that powers on, speakers click, and no picture. I opened it up and see a green led on the power board that blinks 3 times. Anyone know what that code indicates? I've called Vizio and they will not answer any technical questions and I looked at a service manual but I can't figure it out. Thanks!
post #4453 of 4456 Old 02-17-2012, 04:13 PM

My tv turned off and now there is no picture or sound but the light turns from amber to green and i hear 2 clicks there is a occassional splotch of white after i turn it on but thats it any help would be greatly appreciated?
post #4454 of 4456 Old 10-11-2013, 11:39 AM

No activity here for a long while.

I'm just checking in to let anyone who is still lurking know:

My Vizio finally died about a month ago. Just like all the earlier ones, there was a loud, sharp SNAP and the picture was gone.

I guess it's time to replace it, but the sad thing is that the newer sets don't have the features I've come to enjoy, like Picture-in-Picture. Most sets have only one analog input, so I guess I need to replace my DVD player, too.
I mostly watch over-the-air, so I'd like a TV that does a good job implementing the program guide, but neither the manufacturers nor the reviewers seem to have any information about it. The instruction manuals don't even mention the program guide. I have a small Samsung that completely implements the guide, but accessing it is very clunky and annoying and requires numerous button presses on the remote.

...and I definitely want another plasma.

Anybody got any suggestions?
post #4455 of 4456 Old 10-12-2013, 12:01 PM

We replaced the P50HD, as our main TV, with a 55 inch VIZIO LCD/LED love the new TV. The P50 went to the bed room. Never had any trouble with the capacitors but strangely all but one of the inputs went out. Currently only has one component input working. When that goes I guess the TV goes to the scrap pile smile.gif Can't complain though we got a lot of use out of it.

Dave
Rockton, IL
post #4456 of 4456 Old 03-26-2014, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolffer691 View Post

My tv turned off and now there is no picture or sound but the light turns from amber to green and i hear 2 clicks there is a occassional splotch of white after i turn it on but thats it any help would be greatly appreciated?

This exact thing happened to mine. But I don't get anything on the screen.

Front LED will turn from amber to green when I press the power button.

I hear 2 clicks on the power supply board when I turn the power on, & 1 click when it is turned off.

No picture or sound.

Blinking green LED on the power supply board.

Replaced all of the caps, even the large ones. Replaced the fuses.

Still nothing.

Anyone care to point me in the right direction? Anything I can check with a multimeter to find the problem?

Thanks!

Bryan

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page