Official Vizio P50HD Thread ( part 2): NO PRICING: Technical Issues ONLY! - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 4456 Old 03-26-2006, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Well i just picked up the 50".

iv looked at allot of plasmas over the past two weeks and thought this one had side jacks(xbox)(video camera)and so forth.

are they hidden?or was a mistaken?

Panasonic 65" plasma*

Denon 4520* 

PSB T45* PSB B15* PSB C60*

Dual PSA XS30* Dual PSA XS15se*

Squeezbox*

Niles ZR-6 6 Source, 6 room Audio Reciever*

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 4456 Old 03-26-2006, 04:37 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
All the jacks on on the back, facing down for convenience if you wall mount...but there are no front or side jacks to be found.
post #453 of 4456 Old 03-26-2006, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFix View Post

All the jacks on on the back, facing down for convenience if you wall mount...but there are no front or side jacks to be found.

thanks-

been looking at so many i got confused

i was worried that this 50" plasma would be to big and although it`s not set-up yet the size i feel is just right.

Im off Tomorrow to buy a dvd player,id like to take advantage of the <2>HDMI connections so id like the dvd player to have one.

HDMI
under 250.00-

any thoughts to which ones i should look at?

thanks-

Panasonic 65" plasma*

Denon 4520* 

Squeezbox*

post #454 of 4456 Old 03-26-2006, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury View Post

thanks-

Im off Tomorrow to buy a dvd player,id like to take advantage of the <2>HDMI connections so id like the dvd player to have one.

HDMI
under 250.00-

any thoughts to which ones i should look at?

thanks-

I think the Oppo produces an oustanding picture on my Vizio, but there are reports of issues with it. There are large threads dedicated to it in the Standard DVD Player forum.

I got it for Christmas and have yet to experience any issues aside from a fantastic picture...
post #455 of 4456 Old 03-26-2006, 06:33 PM

Can anyone post their calibrated settings?

Do you use the advanced ones?
post #456 of 4456 Old 03-26-2006, 08:17 PM

I'm planning on purchasing the Vizio 50 this week, but will be using SD cable since it's free at my location. I was wondering if anyone knew of a well-priced HD tuner so I can receive OTA HD channels and how they might compare if any of you in the know are using them.

Thanks.
post #457 of 4456 Old 03-26-2006, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jebb View Post

I'm planning on purchasing the Vizio 50 this week, but will be using SD cable since it's free at my location. I was wondering if anyone knew of a well-priced HD tuner so I can receive OTA HD channels and how they might compare if any of you in the know are using them.

Thanks.

Correct me if I am wrong but tis HDTV has no tuner so you must have a STB? SD cable from the coax to the HDTV will not work.
post #458 of 4456 Old 03-26-2006, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtishd View Post

Correct me if I am wrong but tis HDTV has no tuner so you must have a STB? SD cable from the coax to the HDTV will not work.

The P50 has no tuners and no RF (Coax) input. You can however use an SD STB with S-Video or Composite video output.
post #459 of 4456 Old 03-26-2006, 10:11 PM

Liked: 21
I just picked up the 50 inch Vizio after a grueling 2 and half months of going through TV's. I was at Costco's trying decide between the 50 inch Phillips and the Vizio. The Phillips had all the bells and whistles I usually prefer a set to have, built in ATSC tuner, Cable Card Slot, USB, HDMI, Component etc., but it was $700.00 more, all silver and 55 inches wide. The pq on the Phillips looked no better than the Vizio.

So far the PQ is looks pretty good, but I did get a set with the infamous buzzing sound. Have anyone had their buzzing sound problem fixed? I think I could live with this TV without that buzzing sound. I really don't won't to return this TV now, but I think that buzzing sound is really annoying.

I also notice the overscan problem on this TV and I also get a poping sound from the speakers whenever I change channels.
post #460 of 4456 Old 03-27-2006, 08:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 20
This weekend I was finally able to take the P50 out of the box and fire it up using component, and I'm keeping the brightness and contrast at very low settings. Yesterday, watched a little bit of NASCAR, NCAA basketball, and IMAX nature programming. So far it's been outstanding.

Today, I should receive the set of long HDMI cables from monoprice, then start cleaning up the entangled maze of wires toward eventually mounting the PDP on the wall as part of my home entertainment center.

The only nit I've notice so far is that the PDP doesn't always respond to the Vizio remote nor the cable company remote, especially when adjusting the volume.

When in doubt, do the right thing.
post #461 of 4456 Old 03-27-2006, 10:18 AM
Advanced Member

Original Quote:
Originally Posted by marchristensen
Can anyone replicate this problem:
Cablebox is connected to Component HD1.
Cable box is off
Vizion TV is on and set to Component HD1 input.
Increase volume to 50% or more
You hear a buzzing.

Buzzing gets louder as volume increases from 50% to 100%

I am wondering if this is unique to my set or just the way the Viz is made. Thanks for taking the time to experiment and report back.

Quote:
Your post is a little confusing to me.

Are you running another component through your cable box somehow? If not - then why do you care if you hear buzzing when the box is off. If the box is off you aren't watching cable so why is your Vizio on and why is this an issue to you? Are you worried this is indicative of a more serious problem? I just don't understand why this seems to be a concern?

Do you hear the buzzing while you are actually watching cable?

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Sorry for the confusion. When the cablebox sound is on and the volume is turned up on the Vizio, I get a buzzing. I was wondering if others experienced the same thing. My experiment was to show that the buzzing was coming from the Vizio when connected to the cablebox, even with the cablebox off. When I disconnect the cables from the Vizio, the buzzing stops.
post #462 of 4456 Old 03-27-2006, 11:10 AM

I challenge everyone here with the P50 to post pics of it in the gallery. So far I only see a few unless I am doing my search incorrectly. I posted mine. I am assuming that anybody that purchased a plasma also might have a digital cam laying around somewhere. Id like to see some other vizios. get some ideas, etc

TheDon T.H.G.
post #463 of 4456 Old 03-27-2006, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonn View Post

I challenge everyone here with the P50 to post pics of it in the gallery. So far I only see a few unless I am doing my search incorrectly. I posted mine. I am assuming that anybody that purchased a plasma also might have a digital cam laying around somewhere. Id like to see some other vizios. get some ideas, etc

Mine has been there for months
post #464 of 4456 Old 03-27-2006, 11:46 AM

Quote:

Why?
post #465 of 4456 Old 03-27-2006, 11:48 AM

Once again, have anyone had the buzzing problem fixed on these sets. I don't even care about the photo gallery until get that hornets nest out of my TV.
post #466 of 4456 Old 03-27-2006, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Service menu code please! Maybe we can recruit the P42HDTV owners to get the code...
post #467 of 4456 Old 03-27-2006, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebb View Post

Thanks.

Check Vizio website. They offer HD Tuner which is not expensive.
post #468 of 4456 Old 03-27-2006, 04:29 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor55 View Post

Why?

Quote:

I challenge ..... " Id like to see some other vizios. get some ideas, etc"

I like others Im sure. So many of us bought this big a$$ tv, why not see what other people are doing with it. Its pretty big. Mine is sitting on my swivel tv stand. I need to update my pics.

anyway, dont be a debbie downer

TheDon T.H.G.
post #469 of 4456 Old 03-27-2006, 04:35 PM

Quote:

Once again, have anyone had the buzzing problem fixed on these sets. I don't even care about the photo gallery until get that hornets nest out of my TV.

I have some buzzing going too, and am considering returning all though everything else about the set works for me

James
post #470 of 4456 Old 03-27-2006, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Elvick View Post

I have some buzzing going too, and am considering returning all though everything else about the set works for me

James

I'm probably going to return mine also. I can't seem to find a TV without some serious flaw.

I might just go ahead and pick up a new Panny or Toshiba as longs there isn't any buzzing on those.
post #471 of 4456 Old 03-27-2006, 11:07 PM

Quote:

I'm probably going to return mine also. I can't seem to find a TV without some serious flaw.

I might just go ahead and pick up a new Panny or Toshiba as longs there isn't any buzzing on those.

Guess I just got lucky with my G06 Vizio - no buzz or hum unless you put your ear about 6 inches away with the sound down (hard to watch television from 6 inches away). Also, went ahead and did a DVE setup on the set, and the picture has nearly perfect postioning with at most 1% overscan and no geometric distortion (on 720p input). There is the stretching noted by others on 1080i, but since the set performs so well at 720p, certainly not a big issue to me.

Bobzilla
post #472 of 4456 Old 03-27-2006, 11:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan12187 View Post

Can anyone post their calibrated settings?

Do you use the advanced ones?

Im gonna use Colorfacts on mine later this week.... I will post the results

Tyler Pruitt - Technical Liaison at SpectraCal
post #473 of 4456 Old 03-28-2006, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

i just checked out the panny 50px60u at BB last weekend and stuck my head behind the set...there is as much buzzing or maybe even more than the vizio. if that particular set was in my house it would sound terrible.
post #474 of 4456 Old 03-28-2006, 08:18 AM

the screen cleaner is really useful; someone who won't admit it left the TV on all night and I thought the No Input thing got burned in, but luckily it was cleaned off

I'm assuming it was on it for a good 6-8 hours

I've played some NBA live and NBA 2k6 on it and just switch from zoom to wide every 5 or so minutes

I wish Live didn't have that stupid thing in the bottom left or else ZOom would cut off the scoring hud and I wouldn'thave to worry about anything
post #475 of 4456 Old 03-28-2006, 08:24 AM

The cleaner runs for one hour and turns off automatically. I run mine about every ten days.
post #476 of 4456 Old 03-28-2006, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcevic View Post

The cleaner runs for one hour and turns off automatically. I run mine about every ten days.

is that over-kill?

Panasonic 65" plasma*

Denon 4520* 

Squeezbox*

post #477 of 4456 Old 03-28-2006, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwls13 View Post

Still having issues with my Vizio:

I have been having lock-ups since I bought it about 2 months ago. I thought it was the cable box (SA8300HD), so I changed the box out, changed inputs, even switched to Component instead of HDMI. I am still getting lock-ups.

When I go to turn my Vizio on, it will turn on (green light is on), but then nothing. I lose all functionality of the Vizio, even the buttons on the set itself won't work. Not even the power button. The only way to fix it is to unplug from the wall, then replug in. After that it works fine for a while. Then either the next time or a couple days later I go to turn it back on and it locks up again.

Should I take it back? Can Vizio fix this? Is this a known problem even though I am using component and not HDMI (typicial handshake problems with hdmi)?

I am starting to get really annoyed!!

Just an update to my power issue: I talked with Vizio support today, and they think there is definitely something wrong with my G01 Plasma. They said it will take up to 15 business days to get someone out here. I have had it for approx 6 weeks, and I purchased from the place with 4 letters My plasma will be more than 2 months old when they come out to fix it.

Should I be worried about not being able to return this if I have it too long? I would have bought at the 5 letter wherehouse, but they didn't have any in-stock. The 5 letter wherehouse has a better return policy, I'm not sure how long the 4 letter allows returns.
post #478 of 4456 Old 03-28-2006, 11:17 AM

BTW, my buzzing sound comes with high constrast scenes. Whenever there's a dark scene the buzzing is really low from my 9 feet seating position. The dark scenes present another problem, poor shadow detail, this set seems to really crush blacks in a bad way. I don't know if the crushed black or poor shadow detail is excerbated by my settings, low brightness and low contrast settings do to burn-in concerns, which btw, seems more dramatic than CRT RPTV. Since this is my first Plasma set, for those that know, do most plasma sets crush blacks? If so, does the brightness and constrast setting contribute to a lack of shadow detail?

Anyone know the manufacturers reasoning in leaving out color temperature setting. cool, warm, neutral etc. My set seems to look on the blue side of things. How do you tweak this set without color temperature settings?
post #479 of 4456 Old 03-28-2006, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwls13 View Post

Just an update to my power issue: I talked with Vizio support today, and they think there is definitely something wrong with my G01 Plasma. They said it will take up to 15 business days to get someone out here. I have had it for approx 6 weeks, and I purchased from the place with 4 letters My plasma will be more than 2 months old when they come out to fix it.

Should I be worried about not being able to return this if I have it too long? I would have bought at the 5 letter wherehouse, but they didn't have any in-stock. The 5 letter wherehouse has a better return policy, I'm not sure how long the 4 letter allows returns.

the only ones i know of either have 3 letters, 4 letters, or 6 letters
post #480 of 4456 Old 03-28-2006, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccon View Post

Guess I just got lucky with my G06 Vizio - no buzz or hum unless you put your ear about 6 inches away with the sound down (hard to watch television from 6 inches away). Also, went ahead and did a DVE setup on the set, and the picture has nearly perfect postioning with at most 1% overscan and no geometric distortion (on 720p input). There is the stretching noted by others on 1080i, but since the set performs so well at 720p, certainly not a big issue to me.

if you have a bright white screen up, it will buzz much further than 6 inches. they all do it, just some are worse than others.

plus its funny that most people have 4-6% overscan at 720p, yet you got the one and only vizio in existence with 1% overscan...
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page