Official Vizio P50HD Thread ( part 2): NO PRICING: Technical Issues ONLY! - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 4456 Old 03-30-2006, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
pdawg, give that a shot...i wont have time for over a week cuz i wont be home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 4456 Old 03-30-2006, 09:00 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bump909 View Post

Not sure if this works for the P50, but this is the code for the new P42 HDTV:

Thanks for the hint! It's actually much easier on the P50:

Turn the set on (it doesn't matter how).
Press "menu" on remote or side of set so that the stnadard menu appears.
Press "menu" again so the menu disappears.
Now the trick:
Simultaneously press the "up arrow" and "down arrow" buttons on the side of the set.
Factory menu appears.
You can then use the buttons on the side of the set or the remote to operate the menu.

I leave it to you all to figure out the choices.

Disclaimer:
My set is software version 1.9.0. I received no inside information from anyone about the P50; only the previously posted description about a different model.
post #543 of 4456 Old 03-30-2006, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

HAHAHAH...SCREW YOU VIZIO!!!!!! now we have the code and can adjust our own damn sets....goodbye overscan once i get back home from my trip...PDAWG...try this out and report back!

i have a feeling this thread is going to grow rapidly now with people sharing service menu settings...now lets find out how to adjust overscan for various input formats...1080i FIRST
post #544 of 4456 Old 03-30-2006, 09:10 AM

Correct me if I am wrong, From the reviews that I read, they didn't mention anything about fixing the overscan issue from the factory menu.
post #545 of 4456 Old 03-30-2006, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Hopefully you guys will figure out how to adjust picture geometry in the factory menu...that would be awesome. My question...how do you get out of the factory menu?
post #546 of 4456 Old 03-30-2006, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldHud View Post

Thanks for the hint! It's actually much easier on the P50:

Turn the set on (it doesn't matter how).
Press "menu" on remote or side of set so that the stnadard menu appears.
Press "menu" again so the menu disappears.
Now the trick:
Simultaneously press the "up arrow" and "down arrow" buttons on the side of the set.
Factory menu appears.
You can then use the buttons on the side of the set or the remote to operate the menu.

I leave it to you all to figure out the choices.

Disclaimer:
My set is software version 1.9.0. I received no inside information from anyone about the P50; only the previously posted description about a different model.

So how long have you known how to do this?!
post #547 of 4456 Old 03-30-2006, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerosnow88 View Post

Correct me if I am wrong, From the reviews that I read, they didn't mention anything about fixing the overscan issue from the factory menu.

I do know that it's been said that the service menu is a bit sparse...it's possible though in reviews that they aren't concerned about improving overscan - especially when the reviews have said it produces an acceptable amount (although I disagree)...I'm just thrilled to know how to do it now so I know just how far this set can go...I never like the "what if" scenario so now that is taken care of...I'm at work but will go home for lunch and check it out...I won't have much time until tonight but then starting next Tuesday I'm gone for 2 weeks so I won't be much help at that point...dtrell: figure it out while I'm gone ...I am just really thrilled to finally have the way in...

Edit: It looks like on the surface there is no overscan setting according to the P42HDTV people although I don't think anyone has dug into the menu at all...also, is it possible there is this factory menu AND another "service" menu? Do some tvs have more than one menu?
post #548 of 4456 Old 03-30-2006, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

FYI: Do not press enter while on ADC Calibration in the factory menu as it will hose your set...I googled "ADC Calibration" and it showed a review of the Dell 50" and that's what it said...I assume it would be the same with the Vizio...

My guess with "Auto Burn-in" is that it is a diagnostic test that pushes all of the internal components to the limit...that's at least a term used for other types of electronics...therefore by process of elimination I don't think in this menu there is a setting for overscan/geometry ....I still did put this question in to one of the reviewers to see what he remembers...

I wonder (I hope) if there is a different menu available as well...
post #549 of 4456 Old 03-30-2006, 10:31 AM

Very nice! I am also at work and cant wait to get home to play with the color temp (and whatever else). I really feel like sending a nice email to VIZIO's CEO telling him to his thanks for letting his help desk give us the code. Just for fun...see if we can get someone dip in trouble for nothing
post #550 of 4456 Old 03-30-2006, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdawg17 View Post

FYI: Do not press enter while on ADC Calibration in the factory menu as it will hose your set...I googled "ADC Calibration" and it showed a review of the Dell 50" and that's what it said...I assume it would be the same with the Vizio...

where did you get this from pdawg? i seriously doubt that what you said is the case. how can you HOSE a set? just by entering a menu?? come on. i am sure its a sub menu.

great after reading the review you are talking about, it appears that it is a way to calibrate the a to d converters using a standard input. they probably use a bad input to calibrate the overscan, so theres really no way to do it at home. ok, we need a guinea pig to play with their set, that isnt worried about having to return it to costco...hey! maybe someone that is going to return their set anyway will try these menus for us and tell us what they do.
post #551 of 4456 Old 03-30-2006, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrell View Post

where did you get this from pdawg? i seriously doubt that what you said is the case. how can you HOSE a set? just by entering a menu?? come on. i am sure its a sub menu.

great after reading the review you are talking about, it appears that it is a way to calibrate the a to d converters using a standard input. they probably use a bad input to calibrate the overscan, so theres really no way to do it at home. ok, we need a guinea pig to play with their set, that isnt worried about having to return it to costco...hey! maybe someone that is going to return their set anyway will try these menus for us and tell us what they do.

Quote:

While reviewing the calibration options, I came across an option called "ADC Calibration." Make note of this fact - Do NOT Hit the OK Button while the "ADC Calibration" option is selected on the service menu. Apparently, this will recalibrate the W5001C according to whatever is being fed via the HDMI input. In the factory, a proprietary image (provided by Pixelworks) is used. If you do it at home, you may as well kiss the set good-bye. It cannot be undone, and you will likely have to return the set.

http://www.funkyplasma.com/dell-w5001c-setup.htm

Be my guest if you want to try it but I sure ain't...
post #552 of 4456 Old 03-30-2006, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 101
someone go to Cos#co and give it a try

Panasonic 65" plasma*

Denon 4520* 

PSB T45* PSB B15* PSB C60*

Dual PSA XS30* Dual PSA XS15se*

Squeezbox*

Niles ZR-6 6 Source, 6 room Audio Reciever*

post #553 of 4456 Old 03-30-2006, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury View Post

someone go to Cos#co and give it a try

Haha...great idea
post #554 of 4456 Old 03-30-2006, 11:43 AM

Thankfully those codes are posted. Maybe this forum can get back to tweaking the TV and trying to get the best picture out of it instead of the repeated negative postings with no new information about an overscan feature that has been overblown by a select few here.

Don't get me wrong, everyone has a right to have their own criteria of what's makes a set acceptable. I also would like to play with those codes and fix the overscan, but the repeat posting campaign about it with no additional information and then the apparent harassment of Vizio of an issue they already know of (overscan) and about service codes when they have already stated clearly they will not provide them (or simply deny they exist) is just ridiculous. Why would you continue to work yourself up calling or emailing a company when they clearly are not responding to these issues?

At some point, you need to give up, get another TV and move on with your life. Here's a hint, when the Vizio rep SUGGESTS that very thing (as he did a number of posts before this) then, it's time.

I'm enjoying this budget TV with a very competitive picture and a very reasonable demo period. Vizio didn't promise me anything about service codes or overscan, I knew about them before I bought the TV, most reviewers have mentioned them and still given it a great rating and I believe them. Service codes are gravy at this point.

Maybe I'm the only one and will take flak for this but I just thought some people would like to know that this set still exceeds all my expectations at it's price point and this thread has gone seriously downhill as far as I am concerned.

I can only imagine what will happen if the SC menu doesn't have overscan adjustments...
post #555 of 4456 Old 03-30-2006, 11:57 AM

Quote:

So how long have you known how to do this?!

Now? about 3 hours and 15 minutes. From the time I posted the instructions? about 15 minutes.
post #556 of 4456 Old 03-30-2006, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaspledge View Post

Thankfully those codes are posted. Maybe this forum can get back to tweaking the TV and trying to get the best picture out of it instead of the repeated negative postings with no new information about an overscan feature that has been overblown by a select few here.

Don't get me wrong, everyone has a right to have their own criteria of what's makes a set acceptable. I also would like to play with those codes and fix the overscan, but the repeat posting campaign about it with no additional information and then the apparent harassment of Vizio of an issue they already know of (overscan) and about service codes when they have already stated clearly they will not provide them (or simply deny they exist) is just ridiculous. Why would you continue to work yourself up calling or emailing a company when they clearly are not responding to these issues?

At some point, you need to give up, get another TV and move on with your life. Here's a hint, when the Vizio rep SUGGESTS that very thing (as he did a number of posts before this) then, it's time.

I'm enjoying this budget TV with a very competitive picture and a very reasonable demo period. Vizio didn't promise me anything about service codes or overscan, I knew about them before I bought the TV, most reviewers have mentioned them and still given it a great rating and I believe them. Service codes are gravy at this point.

Maybe I'm the only one and will take flak for this but I just thought some people would like to know that this set still exceeds all my expectations at it's price point and this thread has gone seriously downhill as far as I am concerned.

I can only imagine what will happen if the SC menu doesn't have overscan adjustments...

Wow...I haven't seen this thread as being as negative as you see it...you're right though - if you don't like it, get a different set...I personally don't give a rat's ass about overscan but it does suck when with 1080i sources there is so much vertical stretch vs. 720p...that IS mentioned in numerous reviews...and personally I have said repeatedly that there is not another set out there I would rather have...anyway, back to providing some "additional information"...

I had emailed one of the reviewers asking if you remembered there being any settings for overscan/geometry and he "thinks" there was but said the problem might be that we need to use the RGB/PC input to have access to those (like how this connection gives a color temp setting but the others don't)...so if someone can connect with this input, see if there are more options in the menu...I also had asked if he documented his post-calibration RGB gain and offset but he said no ...I might check with a couple other reviewers and see what they have...obviously my set might be different than theirs but it would provide a good place to start...
post #557 of 4456 Old 03-30-2006, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldHud View Post

Now? about 3 hours and 15 minutes. From the time I posted the instructions? about 15 minutes.

Just curious ...I'm just amazed you figured it out so quickly when it is different than the P42HDTV...thanks...
post #558 of 4456 Old 03-30-2006, 12:02 PM

texaspledge,
GIVE UP!?!?! Are you kidding me. I never give up. I am one of the people in this world giving those people jobs. I, being the consumer, am the one paying their bills and supporting their family. If an intelligent company gets enough complaints about a certain existing problem they will usually tell you how to fix it or fix it in a later version. Who wants to pay $2,500 and be less than happy? Probably no one. And it is especially a driving force when you know there is something out there that will fix your problem and you are continually being lied to by a company. And sure enough it leaked. Who knows where the code came from...but it will make me happy just knowing I can adjust my whites now. I don't care as much as some about the overscan problem as others. But wouldnt it be nice knowing that your set is perfect and just how you want it? If you disagree with this then you probably shouldnt be in this forum. Im damn happy people keep bringing up the same problems. It lets you know that you aren't the only one out there that cares improving what you have. If you are "happy" with your budget set why are you even reading this forum about improving the set?!?! If I'm not happy with something I have paid for I will not settle. I will find a way to make myself happy. It looks like you are one that doesn't like a challenge in life.
post #559 of 4456 Old 03-30-2006, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaveunit View Post

texaspledge,
GIVE UP!?!?! Are you kidding me. I never give up. I am one of the people in this world giving those people jobs. I, being the consumer, am the one paying their bills and supporting their family. If an intelligent company gets enough complaints about a certain existing problem they will usually tell you how to fix it or fix it in a later version. Who wants to pay $2,500 and be less than happy? Probably no one. And it is especially a driving force when you know there is something out there that will fix your problem and you are continually being lied to by a company. And sure enough it leaked. Who knows where the code came from...but it will make me happy just knowing I can adjust my whites now. I don't care as much as some about the overscan problem as others. But wouldnt it be nice knowing that your set is perfect and just how you want it? If you disagree with this then you probably shouldnt be in this forum. Im damn happy people keep bringing up the same problems. It lets you know that you aren't the only one out there that cares improving what you have. If you are "happy" with your budget set why are you even reading this forum about improving the set?!?! If I'm not happy with something I have paid for I will not settle. I will find a way to make myself happy. It looks like you are one that doesn't like a challenge in life.

That's what I was trying to say Ditto from me

Btw, my "reviewer consultant" just wrote back and said he saw many more options in the service menu than the ones we have here...I bet the RGB input will display more of them...
post #560 of 4456 Old 03-30-2006, 12:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
JUST A WARNING TO ALL OF YOU CONSIDERING EXPLORING THE SERVICE MENU, SPEAKING FROM PERSONAL EXPERIENCE ON ANOTHER SET I HAD:

YOU MUST MUST MUST RECORD THE FACTORY SETTINGS BEFORE CHANGING ANYTHING. DON'T ASSUME THAT YOU ARE MAKING A SIMPLE ADJUSTMENT AND THAT YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING. THERE IS A GOOD REASON THAT THE FACTORY MENU IS SUPPOSED TO BE SECRET, AND THAT IS BECAUSE IT IS VERY EASY TO TOTALLY MESS UP YOUR SET.

Ok, I'll stop shouting now, but I feel this is an important message. Now back to your regularly scheduled programming
post #561 of 4456 Old 03-30-2006, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaveunit View Post

texaspledge,

Not even sure if that was directed at you but thanks for the personal attack anyway. Glad to see we can have a mature discussion here.

Sometimes the most convincing message you can send to a company is to return their product. If you don't like what they are doing, you don't have to support their jobs. You could send the CEO a letter stating clearly your reasons why you returned the set.

I didn't mean to suggest I don't like tweaking or to suggest I don't want to hear of others concerns about the set. It's what helped inform me about this TV before buying and make, what I think, is a good decision.

It's just at some point I personally tire of the repetitious posts or the responses to posted reviews that say: "Oh yeah Vizio, so what if he liked it, your set's overscan sucks!" or similar and thought that maybe I'm not the only one? I will defer to the forum as to whether that is true or not.
post #562 of 4456 Old 03-30-2006, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaspledge View Post

Not even sure if that was directed at you but thanks for the personal attack anyway. Glad to see we can have a mature discussion here.

Sometimes the most convincing message you can send to a company is to return their product. If you don't like what they are doing, you don't have to support their jobs. You could send the CEO a letter stating clearly your reasons why you returned the set.

I didn't mean to suggest I don't like tweaking or to suggest I don't want to hear of others concerns about the set. It's what helped inform me about this TV before buying and make, what I think, is a good decision.

It's just at some point I personally tire of the repetitious posts or the responses to posted reviews that say: "Oh yeah Vizio, so what if he liked it, your set's overscan sucks!" or similar and thought that maybe I'm not the only one? I will defer to the forum as to whether that is true or not.

First of all...you are are right I am immature. Great. Second. I like all the complaints. I like the repetition. It gives you an idea of how severe a problem is. If one person complained on a 180 page forum about overscan you would probably not even consider it a problem. You would say to yourself, "1 post out of about 1000 complained about overscan. He is probably an individual case, 1 out of many." But if there are tons of complaints about the overscan then you get people trying to fix it. It shows that it is more of a concerning problem than if one person complained about it. If this set was perfect you think it would have 180 pages of posts. Umm no. I love having all the complaints and reviews. Negative and positive. But then again I am immature and you arent ... so that might be why.
post #563 of 4456 Old 03-30-2006, 01:35 PM

FINALLY!!! I can stop googling Vizio "Service Code". So from what it sounds like, the service menu options are input dependent? Color temps can be adjusted per input not just one setting for all inputs? Can anyone verify this?
post #564 of 4456 Old 03-30-2006, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

FYI, my consultant has now told me he got to many options in the menu with just the one key-in sequence...for this set there are no other "secret menus" with overscan, etc...therefore, there must be a way to get at it (maybe using the RGB input, etc)...
post #565 of 4456 Old 03-30-2006, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked: 295
As I mentioned earlier, I'm looking for a fix for the 1080i vertical stretch issue because my Dish Network STBs SUCK at downconverting a 1080i signal to a 720p. I'll be getting this set in a few months and would love to know how to fix the stretch, if it's even possible. I'm not as concerned about the total amount of overscan, but if this service mode is like most others, there should be a simple way to adjust both the vertical AND horizontal size of the image. If those settings are only available through the RGB input, hopefully they'll be applied globally to all inputs. However, if everyone's having geometry issues, then something tells me that the problem can't be adjusted out, otherwise it would be an easy fix from the factory.

Has anyone tried to get their hands on a service manual? That would certainly show what parameters are available in the service menu, if not explain them.

Good work guys, keep the info coming!!
post #566 of 4456 Old 03-30-2006, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

FYI, my consultant has now told me he got to many options in the menu with just the one key-in sequence...for this set there are no other "secret menus" with overscan, etc...therefore, there must be a way to get at it (maybe using the RGB input, etc)...

your consultant?
post #567 of 4456 Old 03-30-2006, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrell View Post

your consultant?

Haha...it's just one of the online reviewers that has reviewed the P50...I just don't want to say his name b/c he's been REALLY nice to answer all of my questions and I don't want him hammered with emails from everyone here...he didn't document settings or anything so I don't think he will be much more help...

Btw, I ran home at lunch but didn't have a chance to play much...I only accessed the menu and looked at the options:

Burning mode
Factory reset
NVRAM reset
EDID Write Pro
Password reset

I see none of the heading mentioned in the p42hdtv thread:

ADC Calibration
Auto Burn In
R Gain
G Gain
B Gain
R Offset
G Offset
B Offset

I didn't have time to go into any of the options but it's slightly nerveracking too...I'll try to mess with it tonight some...anyone have an idea of what to select?

Oldhud- Did you go into the menu further or did you just see what I saw?
post #568 of 4456 Old 03-30-2006, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 101
I just had the cablevision installer from hell!!!!

*^&*%#%&^

Panasonic 65" plasma*

Denon 4520* 

PSB T45* PSB B15* PSB C60*

Dual PSA XS30* Dual PSA XS15se*

Squeezbox*

Niles ZR-6 6 Source, 6 room Audio Reciever*

post #569 of 4456 Old 03-30-2006, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Damn...I've been told now that the menu I got to is the Wrong menu! I also tried the P42HDTV method but I couldn't get anything to pop up off of that...can someone confirm with the above method what they see? It would stink if we still don't have the right combo
post #570 of 4456 Old 03-30-2006, 03:44 PM

Quote:

Damn...I've been told now that the menu I got to is the Wrong menu! I also tried the P42HDTV method but I couldn't get anything to pop up off of that...can someone confirm with the above method what they see? It would stink if we still don't have the right combo

Same here -- I can access the factory menu but as you said it does not look at all like the P42 service menu.

I tried the P42HDTV method and get nothing along the lines of what the poster described. Aaaaargh - I thought we had it...
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page