Official Vizio P50HD Thread ( part 2): NO PRICING: Technical Issues ONLY! - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 4456 Old 03-31-2006, 10:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaladShooter View Post

Burning Mode appears to be a special break in mode. It goes through a sequence of colors that would appear to age the set at an equal rate.

So now we are down to:

EDID Write Pro

or

Vizio tech lies again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 4456 Old 03-31-2006, 10:54 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdawg17 View Post

So now we are down to:

EDID Write Pro

or

Vizio tech lies again

Yeah tough call. If the set werent such a pain (I just mean physically) to return it I would try. Whos got the guts ...or a ride to Costco to try it on the dispay.

Someone could try and call Vinc and tell them where we are and just say...hey look..you can tell me or I can ruin a couple sets trying. It doesnt cost me a penny to keep returning them.
post #633 of 4456 Old 03-31-2006, 11:03 PM

Guys,
I really think it might be the EDID one. Here is what EDID is:

Extended Display Identification Data is a VESA standard data format that contains basic information about a monitor and its capabilities, including vendor information, maximum image size, color characteristics, factory pre-set timings, frequency range limits, and character strings for the monitor name and serial number.

The information is stored in the display and is used to communicate with the system through a Display Data Channel (DDC ), which sites between the monitor and the PC graphics adapter. The system uses this information for configuration purposes, so the monitor and system can work together.

The latest version of EDID (version 1.3) can be used in CRT displays, LCD displays, and future display types because EDID offers general descriptions of almost all display parameters.

There is a little more on it here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EDID
post #634 of 4456 Old 03-31-2006, 11:38 PM

Ok well I tried the EDID one and it does nothing when you select it and push the OK button. I tried it on digitial1. So I figured I would try it on every input. So I tried it on RGB (where nothing is plugged in). After I did it it seemed to do nothing. But then a few seconds later is said GOING INTO DEEP SLEEP and then turned the power to the monitor off. So I turned it back on and went back into RGB and it does it every time now...GOING INTO DEEP SLEEP. It only does it on this input. My question is . . . did this do that same thing before I played with the menu? I had never left it on RGB for more than a few seconds previously. Can someone else try this. Just put it on RGB and leave it there for at least 10 seconds or so...maybe a tad bit longer. Please let me know. Thanks.
post #635 of 4456 Old 04-01-2006, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaveunit View Post

Ok well I tried the EDID one and it does nothing when you select it and push the OK button. I tried it on digitial1. So I figured I would try it on every input. So I tried it on RGB (where nothing is plugged in). After I did it it seemed to do nothing. But then a few seconds later is said GOING INTO DEEP SLEEP and then turned the power to the monitor off. So I turned it back on and went back into RGB and it does it every time now...GOING INTO DEEP SLEEP. It only does it on this input. My question is . . . did this do that same thing before I played with the menu? I had never left it on RGB for more than a few seconds previously. Can someone else try this. Just put it on RGB and leave it there for at least 10 seconds or so...maybe a tad bit longer. Please let me know. Thanks.

My unit does the same thing on the RGB input. This was not caused by something you did in the factory menu.
post #636 of 4456 Old 04-01-2006, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So it does NOTHING?! Are you sure the ok button is what triggers a response (since we don't want to push any of the other choices)? Does the menu show any response when you push ok? You're right...I guess I haven't retired but I sure am sick of this crap...I'm going on vacation for 2 weeks starting Tuesday so I guess that'll be my break from this...
post #637 of 4456 Old 04-01-2006, 08:49 AM

I searched this thread and was unable to find any info concerning my problem.

I just bought this unit 2 days ago. I is a G06 build. The unit keeps shutting down and then starting back up. It seems to do it at ramdom. I have a Comcast 6412 connected through Analog HD1 and a dvd player connected through AV1-SVideo. It happens when watching either source. When it happens while watching AV1, it comes back on connected through Analog HD1.

Has anyone else had this problem ?
post #638 of 4456 Old 04-01-2006, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfstrasser View Post

I searched this thread and was unable to find any info concerning my problem.

I just bought this unit 2 days ago. I is a G06 build. The unit keeps shutting down and then starting back up. It seems to do it at ramdom. I have a Comcast 6412 connected through Analog HD1 and a dvd player connected through AV1-SVideo. It happens when watching either source. When it happens while watching AV1, it comes back on connected through Analog HD1.

Has anyone else had this problem ?

Have you tried plugging the set into its own receptacle or even better, a circuit with little/no other usage?
post #639 of 4456 Old 04-01-2006, 09:22 AM

i was having the deep sleep issue the first week i bought it. i called vizio and they said viewing the rgb input with no signal after a certain amount of seconds will cause deep sleep. i also entered the code and by accident started the burning mode,just a series of colors and bars like someone said before, the only downside was it reset my user presets. i have owed this plasma for 3weeks now and still very happy with the money spent
post #640 of 4456 Old 04-01-2006, 10:03 AM

Quote:

So it does NOTHING?! Are you sure the ok button is what triggers a response (since we don't want to push any of the other choices)? Does the menu show any response when you push ok? You're right...I guess I haven't retired but I sure am sick of this crap...I'm going on vacation for 2 weeks starting Tuesday so I guess that'll be my break from this...

Yeah it didnt do anything. Like you were asking I even selected the EDID and pushed every button....both on the remote and the monitor. The menu button made the factory menu disappear and brought up the menu. The OK button just made the factory menu disappear alltogether. It really didn't do anything. Also thanks to everyone who replied about the deep sleep mode. I think the rep might be full of it on this one.
post #641 of 4456 Old 04-01-2006, 10:42 AM

Quote:

Have you tried plugging the set into its own receptacle or even better, a circuit with little/no other usage?

I will try what you suggest. Why is this necessary?
post #642 of 4456 Old 04-01-2006, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah it didnt do anything. Like you were asking I even selected the EDID and pushed every button....both on the remote and the monitor. The menu button made the factory menu disappear and brought up the menu. The OK button just made the factory menu disappear alltogether. It really didn't do anything. Also thanks to everyone who replied about the deep sleep mode. I think the rep might be full of it on this one.

I was hoping that the "input" button on the monitor did it b/c the one time I got into the menu, I pushed the volume arrow to cycle through the choices...I put it on "exit" and when I pushed the input button, "exit" highlighted quickly and the menu disappeared...

I put in another call to the Vizio tech I talked to and let him know that someone has figured out how to get into the menu and that there is no color controls like he told me there was...maybe he'll tell me since he doesn't want everyone now screwing up their set looking for it...
post #643 of 4456 Old 04-01-2006, 11:08 AM

Quote:

I was hoping that the "input" button on the monitor did it b/c the one time I got into the menu, I pushed the volume arrow to cycle through the choices...I put it on "exit" and when I pushed the input button, "exit" highlighted quickly and the menu disappeared...

I put in another call to the Vizio tech I talked to and let him know that someone has figured out how to get into the menu and that there is no color controls like he told me there was...maybe he'll tell me since he doesn't want everyone now screwing up their set looking for it...

Yeah I just tried each button on the remote and on the set itself. The input button just gets rid of the factory menu.
post #644 of 4456 Old 04-01-2006, 11:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

Yeah it didnt do anything. Like you were asking I even selected the EDID and pushed every button... Also thanks to everyone who replied about the deep sleep mode. I think the rep might be full of it on this one.

Why is that? Is it because you like to bitch about them not giving you to access to the service menus?

Almost no manufacturer freely gives out the information to gain access to service menus, because they do not want common people messing around in there. Most cases of where you find out about how to get into a service menu, were/is not something that a manufacturer freely endorsed or supplied that info for use by the general public.

Even the link you provided at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EDID clearly shows that the EDID mode is probably only something for a connection with a PC as it states that is how it would communicate with a video card in a PC. Which is also a reason why it probably goes into a sleep mode real easy when there is no input on the RGB. And in fact, you only quoted just a small part of the info from there, that you thought looked good to you. Instead of the main part of what it says about it.

"Extended display identification data (EDID) is a data structure provided by a computer display to describe its capabilities to a graphics card. It is what enables a modern personal computer to know what kind of monitor is connected. EDID is defined by a standard published by the Video Electronics Standards Association (VESA). The EDID includes manufacturer name, product type, phosphor or filter type, timings supported by the display, display size, luminance data and (for digital displays only) pixel mapping data.

EDID structure 1.0 was defined in 1994; version 1.1 followed in 1996, then 1.2, and 1.3 in 2000. All these define upwards compatible 128 byte structures. EDID structure 2.0 defines a new 256-byte structure.

The channel for transmitting the EDID from the display to the graphics card is usually the I²C bus. The combination of EDID and I²C is called the display data channel version 2, or DDC2. The 2 distinguishes it from VESA's original DDC, which used a different serial format.

Before DDC and EDID were defined, there was no standard way for a graphics card to know what kind of display device it was connected to. Some VGA connectors in personal computers provided a basic form of identification by connecting one, two or three pins to ground, but this coding was not standardized.

The EDID is often stored in the monitor in a memory device called a serial PROM (programmable read-only memory) or EEPROM (electrically erasable PROM) that is compatible with the I²C bus.

Many software packages can read and display the EDID information, such as Powerstrip for Microsoft Windows and XFree86 for Linux, which will output the EDID to the log if verbose logging is on (startx -- -logverbose 5)."
post #645 of 4456 Old 04-01-2006, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnla View Post

Why is that? Is it because you like to bitch about them not giving you to access to the service menus?

Almost no manufacturer freely gives out the information to gain access to service menus, because they do not want common people messing around in there. Most cases of where you find out about how to get into a service menu, were/is not something that a manufacturer freely endorsed or supplied that info for use by the general public.

Even the link you provided at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EDID clearly shows that the EDID mode is probably only something for a connection with a PC as it states that is how it would communicate with a video card in a PC. Which is also a reason why it probably goes into a sleep mode real easy when there is no input on the RGB. And in fact, you only quoted just a small part of the info from there, that you thought looked good to you. Instead of the main part of what it says about it.

"Extended display identification data (EDID) is a data structure provided by a computer display to describe its capabilities to a graphics card. It is what enables a modern personal computer to know what kind of monitor is connected. EDID is defined by a standard published by the Video Electronics Standards Association (VESA). The EDID includes manufacturer name, product type, phosphor or filter type, timings supported by the display, display size, luminance data and (for digital displays only) pixel mapping data.

EDID structure 1.0 was defined in 1994; version 1.1 followed in 1996, then 1.2, and 1.3 in 2000. All these define upwards compatible 128 byte structures. EDID structure 2.0 defines a new 256-byte structure.

The channel for transmitting the EDID from the display to the graphics card is usually the I²C bus. The combination of EDID and I²C is called the display data channel version 2, or DDC2. The 2 distinguishes it from VESA's original DDC, which used a different serial format.

Before DDC and EDID were defined, there was no standard way for a graphics card to know what kind of display device it was connected to. Some VGA connectors in personal computers provided a basic form of identification by connecting one, two or three pins to ground, but this coding was not standardized.

The EDID is often stored in the monitor in a memory device called a serial PROM (programmable read-only memory) or EEPROM (electrically erasable PROM) that is compatible with the I²C bus.

Many software packages can read and display the EDID information, such as Powerstrip for Microsoft Windows and XFree86 for Linux, which will output the EDID to the log if verbose logging is on (startx -- -logverbose 5)."

Thanks for your opinion Johnla. You have helped us out greatly. So are you saying that EDID cannot be used for other inputs? This isnt a TV..its a monitor...dont forget that. Ever hooked a computer up via component or svideo or even composite? Wouldnt all of those use EDID since its connecting to a PC? Lets ask ourselves how many companies do not have a service manual available? Why dont you do a quick search on service menus for every other manufacturer. If they screw it up well....ohh well..its their problem. Are there fences around the freeway so people can't walk out on them? Does the world need a babysitter? I posted the basicality of what EDID stands for. For someone with over 5,000 posts in a tech forum...you are pretty sad. I'll bet you have never gotten into a service menu have you? EXACTLY. Maybe you should also ready my previous posts....its not so much that they wont tell you but its that they LIE about it. Just give the me the truth on how you don't want people going into it therefore we arent giving it out. But anyways....thanks for your helpful post.
post #646 of 4456 Old 04-01-2006, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnla View Post

Dude...relax...some people are just very "passionate" right now about this...but thanks for the info...my issue is when I ask "is there a service menu" I am fine with it if they said "yes but we're not telling you how to get to it"...no problem if that were the case...

I don't think it's necessarily a thing where "nothing happens" with EDID - somehow we don't have the right button for selecting a choice...I put it on "password reset" since that seems pretty safe and nothing happens with that one either...I tried to press every button too though...strange...
post #647 of 4456 Old 04-01-2006, 12:48 PM

Quote:

Dude...relax...some people are just very "passionate" right now about this...but thanks for the info...my issue is when I ask "is there a service menu" I am fine with it if they said "yes but we're not telling you how to get to it"...no problem if that were the case...

I don't think it's necessarily a thing where "nothing happens" with EDID - somehow we don't have the right button for selecting a choice...I put it on "password reset" since that seems pretty safe and nothing happens with that one either...I tried to press every button too though...strange...

Did you setup a password? It should be the vlock or whatever its called...the child protection. I would assume that pushing OK would reset that password to null. Just curious as to your steps. Thanks.
post #648 of 4456 Old 04-01-2006, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Did you setup a password? It should be the vlock or whatever its called...the child protection. I would assume that pushing OK would reset that password to null. Just curious as to your steps. Thanks.

No I hadn't set up a password but I still would expect something to happen when pressing the right button...

Edit: It's very possible that the "ok" button on the remote is the right button but it may be that nothing happens...
post #649 of 4456 Old 04-01-2006, 01:12 PM

Quote:

No I hadn't set up a password but I still would expect something to happen when pressing the right button...

I understand your point completely but sometimes a reset wouldnt have a confirmation or an additional screen at all. Maybe set a password and try it.
post #650 of 4456 Old 04-01-2006, 01:18 PM
Advanced Member

Sorry if this has already been posted. This thread is getting awkwardly long...

There's a review of this unit at HDTVExpert . In the review they state "You'll need to get the service code from Vizio, and also have a color analyzer on hand to make sure you do things correctly. Vizio only provides red, green, and blue drive adjustments in the service menu along with picture gamma, so a careful brightness and contrast calibration is needed beforehand to get a clean grayscale."

So from this I infer that there is indeed a service menu (albeit a very basic one).

Andy.
post #651 of 4456 Old 04-01-2006, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I understand your point completely but sometimes a reset wouldnt have a confirmation or an additional screen at all. Maybe set a password and try it.

Yep...the "ok" button on the remote is the correct button...that means EDID write pro does nothing (at least with no computer attached to it)...I doubt that would do anything either
post #652 of 4456 Old 04-01-2006, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyS View Post

There's a review of this unit at HDTVExpert . In the review they state "You'll need to get the service code from Vizio, and also have a color analyzer on hand to make sure you do things correctly. Vizio only provides red, green, and blue drive adjustments in the service menu along with picture gamma, so a careful brightness and contrast calibration is needed beforehand to get a clean grayscale."

So from this I infer that there is indeed a service menu (albeit a very basic one).

Andy.

YUP..we know there is one. That is why we (or a few of us) are so persistant on getting the correct code. Also why we know Vinc is full of crap when they tell us there is no service menu. Best part to me is that even on reviews they have on their own website state that you need to get into the service menu to get the monitor to a proper white level. But of course they say they ship from the factory at 6500K which is a complete joke.
post #653 of 4456 Old 04-01-2006, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Andy.

Yeah, I saw that...sometimes people use the term "service menu" and "factory menu" equally so I was hoping that within EDID there would be some choices there...sure looks like to me this whole thing stinks of a big fat lie again...btw, the guy I talked to from Vizio said he has no idea how the 3-4 reviews got into the menu b/c they "never" give the codes out to anyone (including legit reviewers)...could be another lie of course but who knows...he specifically told me though that there are color adjustments in the "factory menu"...I don't see them...

The key to that guy's review is the part of the quote that says "you'll need to get the service code from Vizio"...I don't care if he means the word "service" or "factory"...the point is, he got the code from Vizio...like I said - the guy I talked to said they never give the code out...hmmm...

I think for me to keep from getting more irritated is the fact that the HDTVExpert review mentions only adjustments for drive and gamma...my main reason for wanting to get into the menu was to try and fix the vertical scaling issue at 1080i...it would be nice however to try and get greyscale closer to 6500 although who knows how hard it would be to do that by just changing the values...
post #654 of 4456 Old 04-01-2006, 01:37 PM

Quote:

Yeah, I saw that...sometimes people use the term "service menu" and "factory menu" equally so I was hoping that within EDID there would be some choices there...sure looks like to me this whole thing stinks of a big fat lie again...btw, the guy I talked to from Vizio said he has no idea how the 3-4 reviews got into the menu b/c they "never" give the codes out to anyone (including legit reviewers)...could be another lie of course but who knows...he specifically told me though that there are color adjustments in the "factory menu"...I don't see them...

HA yeha Im sure reviews just sit there and guess codes for days until they figure it out. I don't believe one thing this company says. Ill bet there is a seperate menu altogether that we are missing.

My Toshiba has 2 totally seperate menus. A service menu and a designer menu. THe service had everything I needed in it. Geometry...RGB adjustments...everything to tweak it out to make it an excelent picture. It also has a designer menu that didn't really have anything that I would use it in.
post #655 of 4456 Old 04-01-2006, 01:41 PM
Advanced Member

Has anyone tried connecting a terminal to the serial port? Maybe there's a way to switch it on from that? I noticed in their sale blurb that they describe the RJ11 as 'RS232', so it's certainly possible that an ASCII interface exists on that port.

Andy.
post #656 of 4456 Old 04-01-2006, 02:01 PM

Quote:

Has anyone tried connecting a terminal to the serial port? Maybe there's a way to switch it on from that? I noticed in their sale blurb that they describe the RJ11 as 'RS232', so it's certainly possible that an ASCII interface exists on that port.

Andy.

Not yet Andy..but good call. Ill see what type of connectors I have for my work laptop.
post #657 of 4456 Old 04-01-2006, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 99
anyone know what this/these are called.

during commercials mostly with off white backgrounds i get some little squares here and there.not many and not all the time!

HDMI hookup.

Panasonic 65" plasma*

Denon 4520* 

PSB T45* PSB B15* PSB C60*

Dual PSA XS30* Dual PSA XS15se*

Squeezbox*

Niles ZR-6 6 Source, 6 room Audio Reciever*

post #658 of 4456 Old 04-01-2006, 02:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Not yet Andy..but good call. Ill see what type of connectors I have for my work laptop.

I'd suspect that those of you who look after Cisco gear could use the RJ11/DB9 converter that comes with all their stuff. I seriously doubt that you could do any harm by trying....
post #659 of 4456 Old 04-01-2006, 02:16 PM

mercury...they are probably just compression algorhythums used by the stations. I think they are usually referred to as macroblocking. Same type of thing as if you were looked at a more than average compressed jpeg. They probabaly appear more on the digital stations too (above ch 100).

Andy...yeha thats who I was going to ask were our network (Netco) guys. I only have serial to RJ45 for my sparc (Sun) machines. Ill have to hit them up on monday.
post #660 of 4456 Old 04-01-2006, 02:19 PM
usv

Quote:

Andy.

Has anyone tried to contact the author of this review, PETER PUTMAN, since he states that you must make the adjustments in the Service Mode to achieve the best PQ ?
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page