Official Vizio P50HD Thread ( part 2): NO PRICING: Technical Issues ONLY! - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 4456 Old 04-06-2006, 10:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyS View Post

Bought a G10 yesterday and hooked it up (SD / interlaced DVD only right now ) and so far there's no buzzing and we're liking the PQ a whole lot (considering the low-quality source).

I'm sure my wife will freak out but I'm going to play with the RS232 port in a while. I'll post back if I find anything interesting.

Andy.

kool...let us know Andy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 4456 Old 04-06-2006, 10:43 AM

Hi,

I recently bought LG LDX-514 Upconverting DVD player and VCR combo.

I have currently connected it via HDMI, but I turned off HDCP and Macrovision to OFF on it

Now, was wondering what Resolution should I set the DVD player to output? I current have it output 1080i... IS this correct? Since VIZIOP50 already has Faroudja DCDi in it, wondering what would be best output to set the DVD player too??

Also I currently set my Motorolla DualTuner Cable Reciever to ouput 720P, is this correct? I connected it via HDMI-HDMI cable.
pls advise Thank you.
post #723 of 4456 Old 04-06-2006, 12:04 PM

I thought u couldnt connect this PLASMA to MCEPC via DVI-HDMI cable? It doesnt scale right... only VGA scales perfectly for me @ 1366x768.

Did anyone get it to scale correctly via DVI-to-HDMI cable ?? I have nvidia Ti 4600 in my MCE PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaveunit View Post

I get the handshake problem many times. It is usually a miracle if I don't have to shut off the STB and/or the TV multiple times in order to get a picture.

post #724 of 4456 Old 04-07-2006, 06:00 AM

I am using Direct Tv and Comcast, would I be able to connect them both and be able to watch TV or do I need any additional tuner?? Both my cable and satellite has no HDTV channels.
Thanks!
post #725 of 4456 Old 04-07-2006, 08:42 AM

yes and no

John Boy
post #726 of 4456 Old 04-07-2006, 09:09 AM

Not sure what John Boy is telling you but you can connect both receivers and watch from both even picture in picture. I have my satellite hooked up by HDMI (am receiving HD) and my other receiver is s video (no high def) .
post #727 of 4456 Old 04-07-2006, 09:36 AM

Yep that is what I was saying. Direct TV to HDMI and Comcast Cable to DVI works great

John Boy
post #728 of 4456 Old 04-07-2006, 09:41 AM

cool
post #729 of 4456 Old 04-07-2006, 11:14 AM

What are the accepted procedures for burn-in/configuration once this set has been purchased? I'm looking to pick one of these up in a few hours and wondered what should I be doing right out of the box?

I am currently planning on renting the AVIA Disc from Blockbuster and manually adjusting some brightness/contrast settings immediately out of the box.

Apart from that, I understand keeping it in zoom mode to keep all pixels in use is helpful?

Are there are other helpful tips?
post #730 of 4456 Old 04-07-2006, 11:56 AM

Anuj12,
There are a number of "tweaking" posts in the old Vizio thread, I'd recommend checking that one out.
Don't bother with AVIA just yet, you need to let your set burn in for at least 100 hours before trying to tweak it. Just turn off all the "Auto" settings, and lower the brightness and contrast for the first 100 hours. After that, you can tweak all you want.

These sets come from the factory set to be displayed on store shelves. As a result the color, brightness and contrast is turned up to make the TV "PoP" and to keep up with all the other manufacturers who turn their sets up. It's like a public shouting match with brightness and contrast.

Turn it down out of the box (you'll notice it's WAYYY too high) and let the set age for a few weeks. Any attempt to calibrate out of the box, will be futile as the set will quickly age in the first few weeks.
post #731 of 4456 Old 04-07-2006, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anuj12 View Post

What are the accepted procedures for burn-in/configuration once this set has been purchased? I'm looking to pick one of these up in a few hours and wondered what should I be doing right out of the box?

I am currently planning on renting the AVIA Disc from Blockbuster and manually adjusting some brightness/contrast settings immediately out of the box.

Apart from that, I understand keeping it in zoom mode to keep all pixels in use is helpful?

Are there are other helpful tips?

just use the movie setting, it's very close to what avia finishes at

"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman"

post #732 of 4456 Old 04-07-2006, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstspyder View Post

just use the movie setting, it's very close to what avia finishes at

Rock on. Where can I read more on that. With all due respect, what is your source. I plan to use the movie setting, then.
post #733 of 4456 Old 04-07-2006, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jberger View Post

Anuj12,
There are a number of "tweaking" posts in the old Vizio thread, I'd recommend checking that one out.
Don't bother with AVIA just yet, you need to let your set burn in for at least 100 hours before trying to tweak it. Just turn off all the "Auto" settings, and lower the brightness and contrast for the first 100 hours. After that, you can tweak all you want.

These sets come from the factory set to be displayed on store shelves. As a result the color, brightness and contrast is turned up to make the TV "PoP" and to keep up with all the other manufacturers who turn their sets up. It's like a public shouting match with brightness and contrast.

Turn it down out of the box (you'll notice it's WAYYY too high) and let the set age for a few weeks. Any attempt to calibrate out of the box, will be futile as the set will quickly age in the first few weeks.

Oops, missed your post. Good information, thanks. I'll be sure to do that and then after 100 hours of burn in or so, I'll use the movie mode.

Thanks.
post #734 of 4456 Old 04-07-2006, 06:24 PM

Well, I picked this set up and I'm watching regular channels in Panoramic mode and HD in Wide mode. I set it to the Movie visual settings and lowered the contrast/brightness by 5 points and it's rather dark now but I'll live with it for 100 hours to break it in.

Edit:
I do hear a slight buzzing when there is a lot of white on the screen. I'm not sure if it's the fans or the electronics itself, but I plan to call Vizio on Monday to see if something can be done.

I have model number: G10 so it was just made a few weeks ago.
post #735 of 4456 Old 04-07-2006, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:

Well, I picked this set up and I'm watching regular channels in Panoramic mode and HD in Wide mode. I set it to the Movie visual settings and lowered the contrast/brightness by 5 points and it's rather dark now but I'll live with it for 100 hours to break it in.

Edit:
I do hear a slight buzzing when there is a lot of white on the screen. I'm not sure if it's the fans or the electronics itself, but I plan to call Vizio on Monday to see if something can be done.

stop putting your ear next to the speakers!

Panasonic 65" plasma*

Denon 4520* 

PSB T45* PSB B15* PSB C60*

Dual PSA XS30* Dual PSA XS15se*

Squeezbox*

Niles ZR-6 6 Source, 6 room Audio Reciever*

post #736 of 4456 Old 04-08-2006, 07:37 AM

Purchased a G10 yesterday evening. Been researching for 2 years. Always though I would purchase Panasonic, but by the time I pay the tax and get a warranty from a B&M I would have been $1500 higher. Reading all the forums and CNET reviews I decided this was worth trying out. The retailer I purchased from has 100% satisfaction guarantee. So I have no risk.

OK - the set.

Sound - My son (22) says he can hear it buzz, however, the only sound I hear in the room is my DISH Network DVR running, and a laptop in the corner. The set is virtually silent, no fan noise. As for the speaker sound.........well maybe I have been accustom to junk from an old 27" CRT, but the sound is amazing. The SRS effect does an adequate job of moving sound around the room. I suspect when I hook up my surround sound, I will be floored.

PQ - looks good so far, all I have is SD from the analog video jack from my old DISH DVR, and my 5 year old Sony DVD player (without up-convert) and 480i on the component video input. looks pretty good, but today I will get another up-convert like the one I have on my bedroom 27" LCD, with HDMI cable and an S-video cable for the DISH receiver (that's as good as it gets).

I'm set to movie right now allowing everything to break-in for a few weeks.

Is there a way to check hours used on this set?

I'll keep updating, but so far, so good.

Bill
post #737 of 4456 Old 04-08-2006, 07:45 AM

Liked: 11
I'm thinking about buying a new DVD player to pair with my P50HD.

I was originally thinking about the Oppo 971 based on the great reviews it receives here (and elsewhere), but then I came across this thread describing the upcoming Oppo 970H.

The big difference between the new 970H and the existing 971 is that the new 970:
1) does not have a Faroudja deinterlacer
2) will output 480i over HDMI

Since the Vizio already has a Faroudja deinterlacer, in theory this seems like a great combination - the Faroudja deinterlacer in the 971 would be a waste, and in some cases is a negative as some people complain about macroblocking. With the 970H, I should be able to feed the 480i signal directly to my Vizio to let it deinterlace, or if I want I can have the 970H upscale to 720p directly.

Any thoughts on this?
post #738 of 4456 Old 04-08-2006, 08:54 AM

I notice on the right side the image doesn't go all the way to the edge. It's fine on the left, but is about 1/4"-1/2" from the edge on the right.

More on some channels less on others. I searched but am having a hard time finding post on fixing this problem.

Any help or links would be appreciated.

Bill
post #739 of 4456 Old 04-08-2006, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lclaman View Post

I'm thinking about buying a new DVD player to pair with my P50HD.

I was originally thinking about the Oppo 971 based on the great reviews it receives here (and elsewhere), but then I came across this thread describing the upcoming Oppo 970H.

The big difference between the new 970H and the existing 971 is that the new 970:
1) does not have a Faroudja deinterlacer
2) will output 480i over HDMI

Since the Vizio already has a Faroudja deinterlacer, in theory this seems like a great combination - the Faroudja deinterlacer in the 971 would be a waste, and in some cases is a negative as some people complain about macroblocking. With the 970H, I should be able to feed the 480i signal directly to my Vizio to let it deinterlace, or if I want I can have the 970H upscale to 720p directly.

Any thoughts on this?

I tried the Oppo 971 then bought a Panny s77, Using either of them in an progressive mode produced macroblocking.... so I attached the Panny s77 via component at 480i and I couldn't be happier. The Oppo 970 should work similarly, but will have 480i over HDMI which has the potential to create an even better image. We won't know for sure until it has been on the market a couple of weeks.

The Vizio should do the better job of deinterlacing and upscaling than the Oppo 970.
post #740 of 4456 Old 04-08-2006, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaladShooter View Post

I tried the Oppo 971 then bought a Panny s77, Using either of them in an progressive mode produced macroblocking.... so I attached the Panny s77 via component at 480i and I couldn't be happier. The Oppo 970 should work similarly, but will have 480i over HDMI which has the potential to create an even better image. We won't know for sure until it has been on the market a couple of weeks.

The Vizio should do the better job of deinterlacing and upscaling than the Oppo 970.

FINALLY...someone realizes that upversion/progressive isnt that great. Face it people...DVDs are 480i. All these upversion DVD players with HDMI are doing it "faking" the missing lines to fill in where the DVD doesnt put out a picture. Sure some have better processors in them...but you will pay a decent amount for a "good" Faroudja chip. Ill bet even the VIZIO TV has a cheap genesis chip it it and uses the name Faroudja for marketing only. If you send out a 480 progressive signal you are probabaly making it worse because it is being converted twice. Once from 480i to 480p by your dvd player and then to 720p on your TV. Has anyone really seen a different with upversion HDMI players? I think most of the hype is mental.

The Panasonics do have a good chip in them. They do look crisp. Too bad the mechanics are junk. It is a disappointing combo.
post #741 of 4456 Old 04-08-2006, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaveunit View Post

Well guys if you didn't realize this is a forum. In fact its a forum about a specific product. And guess what ... there will complaining and nitpicking. That is what it is here for. So let me re-summarize for you:

1) Professional reviewers have given their reviews after they have gotten into the service menu and made their own personal adjustments. Please note most of these reviews specifically say that after these adjustments are made the monitor looks great. So really most of these reviews are VOID due to consumers not being able to adjust the monitor in the same way the reviewers are. They don't say this is a "stone cold" bargain without adjusting the things in the service menu. These reviews shouldn't even be on Vinc's site because a consumer cannot even get the same results as someone without a service code.

2) Yes, reviews state that you need to get into the service menu to make this a "great" monitor. I dont know what review you read where it states the monitor has weaknesses because of the plasma technology itself. Maybe you are refering to the black levels? Who knows.

3) You are wrong. Usually anyone can order a service manual from a company or elsewhere. And lets not forget that the Vizio rep gave out the service menu code to the guy asking for the 42" version in one call. The average person does not even know about a service menu at all.

Economic terrorism? HHAHAHHAA!!! But yup if I fry it...Ill take it back. I am very careful and haven't fried a set ever in a service menu. Im playing by their rules. Dont like it ... change the rules or your waranty or give me the set I paid for because I read your forums about how great it is after the adjustments. Its all a game...they can put these WONDERFUL reviews about their set...but once you buy it they arent going to tell you how to get it that way. In fact they wont just not tell you. They will lie and say you can't get it that way. Screw 'em..Im the consumer. I am always right.

Guess this would be the exception that proves the rule.

Bobzilla
post #742 of 4456 Old 04-09-2006, 07:34 AM

Slave,
If you had bothered to research the set before making yet another trolling comment, you'd realize the chipset in the Vizio is one of the best units they put out. Besides the fact that Faroudja doesn't brand ANY low end chips, the chip in this set is in fact a premium chip. The macroblocking issues only appear ON POORLY MASTERED SOURCE MATERIALS. It doesn't show up in all sets because not every chip reveals the poor master.

Please, if you hate the set so much return it and pay a lot more for another set with a name you like on the front. Then you can join thier thread and complain. I just can't understand why you constantly complain about the set but continue to own it.
post #743 of 4456 Old 04-09-2006, 08:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Is there a feature in the P50 that can be called up to display the resolution signal (e.g. 480p, 720p, 1080i) it is receiving, such as from a DVD player or a cable STB?

When in doubt, do the right thing.
post #744 of 4456 Old 04-09-2006, 10:19 AM

Quote:

Slave,...Please, if you hate the set so much return it and pay a lot more for another set with a name you like on the front. Then you can join thier thread and complain. I just can't understand why you constantly complain about the set but continue to own it.

While I'm not sure he's the worst offender (I have one in mind), I heartily agree with you. If I hated my Vizio as much as some seem to, I'd not have it a minute longer in my home.
post #745 of 4456 Old 04-09-2006, 10:31 AM

Quote:

Edit:

If you are choosing the Panoramic mode from the Vizio menu then you have the set connected via S-Video. You will get a much better picture quality if you connect with either component or HDMI.
post #746 of 4456 Old 04-09-2006, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgooter View Post

Is there a feature in the P50 that can be called up to display the resolution signal (e.g. 480p, 720p, 1080i) it is receiving, such as from a DVD player or a cable STB?

Use the service menu
post #747 of 4456 Old 04-09-2006, 11:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee View Post

Use the service menu

OK are you just trying to be a smart ass? There is no known way to get into the "real" service menu. Unless I have missed something since the last failed "service" menu code.
post #748 of 4456 Old 04-09-2006, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgooter View Post

short answer: no its just another one of their cost cutting measures. same way you cant have different aspect settings for different inputs.
post #749 of 4456 Old 04-09-2006, 12:38 PM

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaladShooter View Post

If you saved yourself some money by purchasing a Vizio set, spend a little bit more on a quality DVD player. Stop messing a around with low end DVD players like Oppo and Panny. Get something like a Pioneer Elite 79avi.
post #750 of 4456 Old 04-09-2006, 02:10 PM

Quote:

Slave,
If you had bothered to research the set before making yet another trolling comment, you'd realize the chipset in the Vizio is one of the best units they put out. Besides the fact that Faroudja doesn't brand ANY low end chips, the chip in this set is in fact a premium chip. The macroblocking issues only appear ON POORLY MASTERED SOURCE MATERIALS. It doesn't show up in all sets because not every chip reveals the poor master.

Please, if you hate the set so much return it and pay a lot more for another set with a name you like on the front. Then you can join thier thread and complain. I just can't understand why you constantly complain about the set but continue to own it.

Could I get your source on the usage of the "quality" chip? Thanks. I continue to own it because I am going to buy a TV form Costco becasue of their return policies. Right now there is nothing I want from them. Due to my living room arrangements I have to have a 50" plasma or flat LCD.

If you are so satisfied with your VIZIO why do you continue to read a forum about it. You know it will have pros and cons about it. Once again it is a forum with people's opinions.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page