Official Vizio P50HD Thread ( part 2): NO PRICING: Technical Issues ONLY! - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 4456 Old 02-23-2006, 05:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by marchristensen View Post

I'm not sure how to create a poll on this forum but wondered how many had Vizion service come to their home.

If you did - was it to fix fans, buzzing or both? Would you rate this experience as positive or negative? Did you encounter any problems with this service?

I'd like to hear more responses on this. And I second (or third) the idea of having an FAQ for this thread.

I have a G01 build. Fan noise is not noticeable from any distance. But I do hear buzzing during bright scenes when muted. It's not noticeable at normal seating distance at normal volume. But muted, can still be heard (more like "sensed") from 10' away. Similar to the noise/buzzing that tracklighting/halogen lights sometimes make.

Anyway, I'm debating whether it's worth the trouble having someone come out and tinker with it. My wife hasn't even noticed it yet, so it's not that bad. Then again, I wouldn't mind having a whisper quiet set.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 4456 Old 02-23-2006, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
for just buzzing like my first set did, i wouldnt bother with it. but the buzzing i get on the bright scenes with the new one sounds like a bunch of insects flapping their wings inside the set. to me, that is excessive, especially when i never heard that on the previous unit. i should have just swapped the power supplies myself before returning it.
post #93 of 4456 Old 02-23-2006, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by egmutza View Post

I'd like to hear more responses on this. And I second (or third) the idea of having an FAQ for this thread.

I have a G01 build. Fan noise is not noticeable from any distance. But I do hear buzzing during bright scenes when muted. It's not noticeable at normal seating distance at normal volume. But muted, can still be heard (more like "sensed") from 10' away. Similar to the noise/buzzing that tracklighting/halogen lights sometimes make.

Anyway, I'm debating whether it's worth the trouble having someone come out and tinker with it. My wife hasn't even noticed it yet, so it's not that bad. Then again, I wouldn't mind having a whisper quiet set.

I also have a G01 build and would describe the buzzing on bright scenes to be just like yours. It has gotten a little worse over the course of 100 + hours of use. In use, I don't tend to really notice it much, but when you turn the set off, what you really notice is the sound of silence, which means it is probably making more noise than it really should (like you I'm talking about 10'-15' from the P50, not just next to it).
post #94 of 4456 Old 02-23-2006, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

yes chris. call vizio, tell em you want it fixed. and if my new power supply does it, ill make them replace it again until it sounds at least as good as my first set.
post #95 of 4456 Old 02-23-2006, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cafara View Post

My 8300HD outputs 480P, 720P and 1080i over HDMI with no handshake issues. I'm using Time Warner Cable, 6/24/05 build of SARA, and a box with the firewire ports.

My old 8300hd box w/o firewire ports had handshake issues, but this one has not had one.

I'm going to check the back of my box tonight. I don't think it has the firewire ports.

Is anyone else having the problem where they actually have to unplug the Vizio from the wall power outlet to get it back? Mine has done it about once a day. When it locks up, the remote doesn't work and neither do any of the buttons on the TV itself. Not even the power button. Then, once I unplug from the wall and plug back in, everything works.
post #96 of 4456 Old 02-23-2006, 03:56 PM

yes .. but mine has only locked up twice in the past four months ... once a day is too much IMHO !!!
post #97 of 4456 Old 02-23-2006, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milliepuppy View Post

yes .. but mine has only locked up twice in the past four months ... once a day is too much IMHO !!!

This has happened to me twice since October. Both times it *appeared* to be due to sending too many remote commands too quickly.
post #98 of 4456 Old 02-23-2006, 05:58 PM

I got a minor question. I checked out my PS2 and GT4 (Gran Turismo 4) in 1080i mode on the P50 a few times using the component cables for PS2. I noticed that it doesnt fill the whole screen. Its like about 1 inch on all sides. I can zoom it and it looks perfect but I couldnt figure out why its not going full. Kinda reminds me of how my PC connection was thru HDMI before I got Powerstrip settings working. Anybody test the game out on the P50? Im just really playing the replays back which dont have static images accept for the GT4 in the bottom right, but even that fades on and off.

TheDon T.H.G.
post #99 of 4456 Old 02-23-2006, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaspledge View Post

Any way you could define 'whisper quiet' John? I have noticed slight fan noise at 15 feet with no volume. Didn't bother me at first but if it could be better then I would like to go ahead and get them replaced.

Thanks.

With the old fans I could hear them from 10' away with the sound low, or muted.

With the new fans I can't hear them unless I stand behind the tv with the sound muted.

The old fans weren't bad, but these are better. I would say get them replaced if you're not sure. However keep in mind that if your tv is sitting on the stand, they'll have to remove it from the stand and lay the tv down so they can take the entire back panel off. It's not really a problem, but it is a little involved.
post #100 of 4456 Old 02-23-2006, 06:12 PM

I am going to buy another P50 this next week. I have tried to have an ISF calibrator come out and there is none that work in or will travel to my area. Where can I get the codes and do the adjustments myself?

I have a page printed that was sent to me by a calibrator that has the correct calibration options but he would not give me the codes to access the menu. My set may vary slightly in the combinations but I feel that I have gained enough knowledge about the set and what adjustments need to be made to be comfortable with entering the service menu and not messing things up. I have performed these operations on several of my older sets but I just can't find anything on this Vizio set.... Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike
post #101 of 4456 Old 02-23-2006, 06:20 PM

I'm building a custom mount for my new P50HD (G03) , but I can't find bolts that thread into the holes. I've tried 5/16-18 (coarse), 5/16-24 (fine), and even 8mm-1.0mm.

Did your bolts enter easily, or did you need to force them?

I'm beginning to suspect my holes are improperly threaded.

Help!!!! --Bob
post #102 of 4456 Old 02-23-2006, 06:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John L View Post

With the old fans I could hear them from 10' away with the sound low, or muted.

With the new fans I can't hear them unless I stand behind the tv with the sound muted.

The old fans weren't bad, but these are better. I would say get them replaced if you're not sure. However keep in mind that if your tv is sitting on the stand, they'll have to remove it from the stand and lay the tv down so they can take the entire back panel off. It's not really a problem, but it is a little involved.

You should check the build date on your TV first. You may already have the updated fans. Why would you want someone to waste your time and possibly mess up your TV for nothing. These repair guys do not know a lot about the TV and have stripped some screws. A couple of others rendered the TV useless. Sure they will replace it, but the cost is a lot of your time.
post #103 of 4456 Old 02-23-2006, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwam3 View Post

You should check the build date on your TV first. You may already have the updated fans. Why would you want someone to waste your time and possibly mess up your TV for nothing. These repair guys do not know a lot about the TV and have stripped some screws. A couple of others rendered the TV useless. Sure they will replace it, but the cost is a lot of your time.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. My build date is F48 so I would expect these to be the new fans. I played with it the other night and found that it was one fan worse than another. It wasn't the fan as much as a little bit of chassis resonance. I loosened the screws and was able to get rid of it mostly. The only thing now is the sound of the air blowing, I wouldn't really call it fan noise. That blowing can be heard on mute at about 10 feet away and I would be surprized if it could be much better. I'll stick with it for now.
post #104 of 4456 Old 02-23-2006, 08:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbroders View Post

I'm building a custom mount for my new P50HD (G03) , but I can't find bolts that thread into the holes. I've tried 5/16-18 (coarse), 5/16-24 (fine), and even 8mm.

Doubtful, but now that you have tried to use US fractional threaded bolts on a metric thread, it's very possible that you have damaged/cross threaded the first two or three threads of them. It don't take much, of trying to use the wrong bolt to damage the first few threads.
post #105 of 4456 Old 02-23-2006, 09:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikerodgers View Post

I am going to buy another P50 this next week. I have tried to have an ISF calibrator come out and there is none that work in or will travel to my area. Where can I get the codes and do the adjustments myself?

I have a page printed that was sent to me by a calibrator that has the correct calibration options but he would not give me the codes to access the menu. My set may vary slightly in the combinations but I feel that I have gained enough knowledge about the set and what adjustments need to be made to be comfortable with entering the service menu and not messing things up. I have performed these operations on several of my older sets but I just can't find anything on this Vizio set.... Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

No one knows how to access the menu yet...man, I wish your guy would just tell you how to access the menu! Would you mind posting the menu options (or I'll give you my fax number)...I know it's worthless without knowing how to get in - I just like torchering myself
post #106 of 4456 Old 02-24-2006, 04:52 AM
AVS Special Member

this whole service menu thng is such a frickin scam...so we get in there, and we mess something up...ever hear of DEFAULT settings? its just like if i turn the brightness up too far...guess what...i can ALWAYS PUT IT BACK WHERE IT WAS! GOD WHAT A SCAM...these guys just want to hold on for dear life and charge outrageous money to come out and make a couple adjustments...i can understand that...but for vizio to not give it out by request is ridiculous.
post #107 of 4456 Old 02-24-2006, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrell View Post

this whole service menu thng is such a frickin scam...so we get in there, and we mess something up...ever hear of DEFAULT settings? its just like if i turn the brightness up too far...guess what...i can ALWAYS PUT IT BACK WHERE IT WAS! GOD WHAT A SCAM...these guys just want to hold on for dear life and charge outrageous money to come out and make a couple adjustments...i can understand that...but for vizio to not give it out by request is ridiculous.

Jim Noyd,

can you provide some input on this?

we all have these units but in order to make these units better, we need to get IN!!

AeroSnow.
post #108 of 4456 Old 02-24-2006, 05:49 AM

Quote:

Thanks,
Mike

Mike,

I too would like to obtain those settings. Would it be possible to PM the setting to me or fax to me?

AeroSnow
post #109 of 4456 Old 02-24-2006, 06:17 AM

I wouldn't call it a scam, you can seriously screw stuff up in the service menu. It's not like it has a one button reset feature. Of course, it's not as severe as say the service menu on some of the older CRT units where you could quickly burn up a tube if you did the wrong thing. But the risk is there to damage the unit.

It's really 2 things which keep it out of the public eye.
1) Liablity, why would a manufacturer want the liablity of repairing units which were damaged by a novice?

2) Calibrator's wallets. Guys, keeping this info a secret helps these guys make thier money. I personally have no problem with that, as without people trained to properly calibrate the sets, there would be no resource for those who really want the best picture.

It's really not as simple as just dialing in the settings from another calibrated unit. A good ISF certified guru will know how to not only achieve the best theoretical picture, but also the best picture in your viewing enviroment and how to compensate for source differences, etc.

I'd personally love to access the service menus, since there are a few areas on the set which could be improved that way. But to have someone just post the codes and thier calibration settings is not the same as a professional calibration, and someone, probably several people, will damage thier sets with that information.
post #110 of 4456 Old 02-24-2006, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

i dont care about "color temps" and all that bs...i just want to be able to adjust my overscan...i think it is too much and want to change it...and if i overadjusted it, im sure id have absolutely no problem changing it back, and i seriously doubt any adjustment to overscan will damage this set in any way.
post #111 of 4456 Old 02-24-2006, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerosnow88 View Post

Jim Noyd,

can you provide some input on this?

we all have these units but in order to make these units better, we need to get IN!!

AeroSnow.

jim never replies to a service menu request. i am sure he knows people that he could get the procedure from if he wanted to.
post #112 of 4456 Old 02-24-2006, 07:52 AM
Advanced Member

Just curious as to those with HDMI issues.....

What do you set the cable box output to?

I have mine set to output at 1080i ( I think) and don't have any handshake issues.

Using comcast moto 6412 DVR HD box.
post #113 of 4456 Old 02-24-2006, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi.night View Post

Just curious as to those with HDMI issues.....

What do you set the cable box output to?

I have mine set to output at 1080i ( I think) and don't have any handshake issues.

Using comcast moto 6412 DVR HD box.

You have the hdmi to hdmi connection from the cable box, do you?
I exchanged my cable box from Cox and got their Mot DVR with hdmi connection. I had it hooked up to both component and hdmi this morning. No major difference in video quality, audio is definitely louder, noisy?
I did not have enough time to see if there is any handshake issue with this new one, and I have it set at 1080i. I was getting black outs when turning the set on with the previous STB.
I will post if I continue to have handshake issue.
post #114 of 4456 Old 02-24-2006, 12:16 PM

Hey Guys,

I just wanted to update you on the settings... I have yet to receive them in the mail. I had a very poor scan of them sent via email. I am trying to mak sure that the settings are accurate for my TV if I can even get the codes to access the Service Menu myself. I do have much of the equipment needed to do a proper calibration at my disposal. I picked up a bunch of stuff from a TV repair shop that went out of business. I can't remember the exact names of the items but one is for color calibration and one is for grey scale. The settings would just be used for a point of referrence as every TV is just a little different. As soon as I get them I will post them unless it is bad for me to do so. I will do my best to get the Service Menu codes soon
post #115 of 4456 Old 02-24-2006, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbroders View Post

I'm building a custom mount for my new P50HD (G03) , but I can't find bolts that thread into the holes. I've tried 5/16-18 (coarse), 5/16-24 (fine), and even 8mm-1.0mm.

Did your bolts enter easily, or did you need to force them?

Help!!!! --Bob

Okay, after speaking with Visio support, the mounting holes are threaded 8.0mm with 1.25mm thread pitch (i.e. 8.0mm-1.25mm). I guess I shouldn't be surprised that there are coarse and fine thread versions of each metric size as well.

--Bob

P.S. My attempts with the three wrong sizes did not damage the mounting holes
post #116 of 4456 Old 02-24-2006, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hey Guys,

I just wanted to update you on the settings... I have yet to receive them in the mail. I had a very poor scan of them sent via email. I am trying to mak sure that the settings are accurate for my TV if I can even get the codes to access the Service Menu myself. I do have much of the equipment needed to do a proper calibration at my disposal. I picked up a bunch of stuff from a TV repair shop that went out of business. I can't remember the exact names of the items but one is for color calibration and one is for grey scale. The settings would just be used for a point of referrence as every TV is just a little different. As soon as I get them I will post them unless it is bad for me to do so. I will do my best to get the Service Menu codes soon

I will give you lots of beer if you can get codes
post #117 of 4456 Old 02-24-2006, 06:20 PM

A question I hope I can get a few responses to:

Foggy scenes on my Vizio are often very ugly. I see blocky fog with some green edging in Pirates of the Caribbean, Hotel Rwanda, Aliens, and The Exorcism of Emily Rose plus on the Olympics in HD the other night during a foggy night.

Underwater scenes have similar problems... Sky Captain has a couple of moments with indistinct blobs in the background toward the end of the movie.

Sin City looks great but has some greens and reds in areas where there should only be black & white..... skies, backgrounds, accents in faces.

In the instances above I am refering to DVD & HD feeds in multiple resolution settings and inputs on the Vizio... 480i, 480p, 720p, and 1080i. They seem to get progressively worse over higher resolutions. I believe it is either the Farodja decoding or the grayscale tracking that cause the problems.

Usually the picture looks stunning.... so when it doesn't it is very glaring. Does everyone have these issues or is it just my set?
post #118 of 4456 Old 02-24-2006, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaladShooter View Post

A question I hope I can get a few responses to:

Foggy scenes on my Vizio are often very ugly. I see blocky fog with some green edging in Pirates of the Caribbean, Hotel Rwanda, Aliens, and The Exorcism of Emily Rose plus on the Olympics in HD the other night during a foggy night.

Underwater scenes have similar problems... Sky Captain has a couple of moments with indistinct blobs in the background toward the end of the movie.

Sin City looks great but has some greens and reds in areas where there should only be black & white..... skies, backgrounds, accents in faces.

In the instances above I am refering to DVD & HD feeds in multiple resolution settings and inputs on the Vizio... 480i, 480p, 720p, and 1080i. They seem to get progressively worse over higher resolutions. I believe it is either the Farodja decoding or the grayscale tracking that cause the problems.

Usually the picture looks stunning.... so when it doesn't it is very glaring. Does everyone have these issues or is it just my set?

Most of the reviews I have read mention this as one of the few weaknesses of the P50. Go to VINC.com and select the 'Latest News' tab at the top for all the major reviews of the P50. Here is an excerpt from one of them:

http://www.vinc.com/site/news/P50-HoltMods.html

"In some respects the Vizio performed at a lower level than more expensive plasmas (as might be expected, factoring in cost). Many types of plasma suffer from some degree of artifacting. However, the Vizio seemed worse than typical in this respect, with macroblocking (parts of the image breaking up into tiled squares instead of retaining a smooth appearance) and false contouring (the loss of detail in an area of the screen) visible at times. These problems with displays often seem to interact with the particular DVD player used and the type of input and scan rate, so some care in matching components is advisable (oddly, the otherwise superb Faroudja chipsets seem to have more trouble with artifacting than competitors'). With the Vizio, the HDMI input and 720p seemed to reduce the problems, but not eliminate them. Some people are very sensitive to these problems and should carefully preview the set. Others don't seem to notice."
post #119 of 4456 Old 02-24-2006, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFix View Post

Most of the reviews I have read mention this as one of the few weaknesses of the P50. Go to VINC.com and select the 'Latest News' tab at the top for all the major reviews of the P50. Here is an excerpt from one of them:

http://www.vinc.com/site/news/P50-HoltMods.html

"In some respects the Vizio performed at a lower level than more expensive plasmas (as might be expected, factoring in cost). Many types of plasma suffer from some degree of artifacting. However, the Vizio seemed worse than typical in this respect, with macroblocking (parts of the image breaking up into tiled squares instead of retaining a smooth appearance) and false contouring (the loss of detail in an area of the screen) visible at times. These problems with displays often seem to interact with the particular DVD player used and the type of input and scan rate, so some care in matching components is advisable (oddly, the otherwise superb Faroudja chipsets seem to have more trouble with artifacting than competitors'). With the Vizio, the HDMI input and 720p seemed to reduce the problems, but not eliminate them. Some people are very sensitive to these problems and should carefully preview the set. Others don't seem to notice."

Thank God I haven't noticed ...although I am using HDMI...I watched Master and Commander (lots of skyline at night) and didn't see it...I've definitely never seen color in black/white scenes...I agree that for DVDs at least that the player makes some difference...
post #120 of 4456 Old 02-24-2006, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdawg17 View Post

Thank God I haven't noticed ...although I am using HDMI...I watched Master and Commander (lots of skyline at night) and didn't see it...I've definitely never seen color in black/white scenes...I agree that for DVDs at least that the player makes some difference...

I went though 5 players including the Oppo and settled on the s77... component at 480i is best. On my Vip622 sat box the HDMI is better. The effect is glaring.... I'm ready to take my s77 to a store to try a different Vizio to see if its mine. I don't think you could miss it if you watched the referenced discs.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page