Official Vizio P50HD Thread ( part 2): NO PRICING: Technical Issues ONLY! - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 4456 Old 03-04-2006, 01:01 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'll have to ask my wife if I can fly out on the weekends that I am not on call. I just bought her a Benz, so I can't even imagine what this is going to cost me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 4456 Old 03-04-2006, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goseecal61 View Post

Do you by any chance live in Irvine, CA?
I do live in Irvine for the past 20 years and there seemed to be quite a few Vizio P50 owners here in Irvine, CA and probably in the surrounding cities. Maybe we can start a Vizio Owner's Club and meet on weekends to watch HD Sports, have beer and Popcorn. What do you guys think?

I live in Cypress over by Knotts Berry Farm......My next door neighbor ended up buying one after he saw my Vizio (he was going to buy my 42 plasma) and tonight we are going to watch the UFC and have some brewski's......I don't know about Popcorn but I do know I'll have a good looking woman by my side....
post #183 of 4456 Old 03-04-2006, 03:38 PM
Advanced Member

Vizio and XBOX360 Harmony remote control.....But I'm sure this is a problem anyone using a HARMONY remote would have......

I think this was already posted in the vizio thread that was closed..But I will ask here.

The Harmony remote works great with only one issue for my setup....Input switching with the Vizio.

This happens only with Activities function.......for Watch a DVD.
I need it to switch to Analog input 2 for my DVD play but it never makes it past Analog 1. My guess is that the timing for the remote and vizio input switcher is either too fast or too slow........

Can anyone provide me with their input switching speed for the Harmony remote when using inputs...?

Thanks.
post #184 of 4456 Old 03-04-2006, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by howardstern View Post

I just bought this TV yesterday and got it home, Comcast can't install the DVR with HDMI 'til Tuesday so I have it hooked up through component, I've seen some pretty good images but overall I'm not all that impressed, the picture just looks soft to me, I watched the 5th Element in HD that's on-demand and it just looked like I was watching a DVD, there was really no sign that it was even in HD, HBO & Starz HD movies look like DVD's as well,

Discovery HD and TNT basketball had the best looking pictures so far, But I still haven't had a WOW feeling while watching anything yet. Even American Chopper on Discovery HD looked average, I'm pretty much a noob when it comes to describing PQ but I think they might be grainy, the only way I can explain it is to imagine a picture made up of a million mosquitoes swarming around and that's the effect that I get when looking at the image, PLEASE HELP.

Does anybody have any recomendations on how to get this picture to pop, I have the Brightness at 42, Contrast at 50, Saturation at 48, Sharpness at 5, Hue at 0, and the Advanced settings at default.

Turn the advanced settings off and see if it makes a difference...the advanced settings all create "enhancements" to the picture..."HD" movies on tv are just dvd movies that they try to "upscale" to HD...those are not real HD sources...neither is Discovery HD or any of those...all are compressed...only OTA will give you a true sense...
post #185 of 4456 Old 03-04-2006, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdawg17 View Post

"HD" movies on tv are just dvd movies that they try to "upscale" to HD...those are not real HD sources...neither is Discovery HD or any of those...all are compressed...only OTA will give you a true sense...

Well that's a bit of a generalization. Alot of HD movies are taken from the original transfer and are actually broadcast in HD. Same with Discovery HD, INHD, etc. assuming you have a decent cable/satellite provider.

Back to the thread at hand, though. Has anyone compared this set to a 50" Sony SXRD set? I hate to ask this question, because for some reason people either love the SXRD sets or hate them with a passion, but i don't have the opportunity to see the Vizio in person. So if anyone's seen, owned, or fiddled with both then i'd be curious to hear your opinions.
post #186 of 4456 Old 03-04-2006, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi.night View Post

Vizio and XBOX360 Harmony remote control.....But I'm sure this is a problem anyone using a HARMONY remote would have......

I think this was already posted in the vizio thread that was closed..But I will ask here.

The Harmony remote works great with only one issue for my setup....Input switching with the Vizio.

This happens only with Activities function.......for Watch a DVD.
I need it to switch to Analog input 2 for my DVD play but it never makes it past Analog 1. My guess is that the timing for the remote and vizio input switcher is either too fast or too slow........

Can anyone provide me with their input switching speed for the Harmony remote when using inputs...?

Thanks.

I had odd issues with switching inputs due to the way the Vizio works. It seemed to work great sometimes and then stop working. I played with timing and that did not help me but I did finally read about a way to get it to reliably switch inputs.

When setting up inputs there is an option to specify that you want the Vizio to always start at a specific input (or you want it to send a specific command) before switching. I am sorry I do not remember the specifics. The gist of my setup is this:

- I set up Harmony input switching so that it uses the "nextInput" command to cycle all the inputs (RGB->AV1->AV2->Analog HD1->Analog HD2->Digital HD1->Digital HD2->RGB)
- I set up the Harmonty to always send a "RGB Input" command when changing inputs. So when I watch a DVD (using Digitial HD1) the Harmony Sends a "RGB Input" command followed by 5 nextInput commands.
-I also decreased the time between commands for the Vizio and it switches inputs rather quickly even thought it cycles through as many as 7 commands.

This has worked perfectly for me. Good luck.
post #187 of 4456 Old 03-04-2006, 09:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waddo View Post

I had odd issues with switching inputs due to the way the Vizio works. It seemed to work great sometimes and then stop working. I played with timing and that did not help me but I did finally read about a way to get it to reliably switch inputs.

When setting up inputs there is an option to specify that you want the Vizio to always start at a specific input (or you want it to send a specific command) before switching. I am sorry I do not remember the specifics. The gist of my setup is this:

- I set up Harmony input switching so that it uses the "nextInput" command to cycle all the inputs (RGB->AV1->AV2->Analog HD1->Analog HD2->Digital HD1->Digital HD2->RGB)
- I set up the Harmonty to always send a "RGB Input" command when changing inputs. So when I watch a DVD (using Digitial HD1) the Harmony Sends a "RGB Input" command followed by 5 nextInput commands.
-I also decreased the time between commands for the Vizio and it switches inputs rather quickly even thought it cycles through as many as 7 commands.

This has worked perfectly for me. Good luck.

I think I get what your saying...but I'm not sure where in the Harmony setup I do this.....It asks for several ways to setup the Inputs for the Vizio....which one do I choose?
post #188 of 4456 Old 03-04-2006, 10:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanC View Post

Well that's a bit of a generalization. Alot of HD movies are taken from the original transfer and are actually broadcast in HD. Same with Discovery HD, INHD, etc. assuming you have a decent cable/satellite provider.

Back to the thread at hand, though. Has anyone compared this set to a 50" Sony SXRD set? I hate to ask this question, because for some reason people either love the SXRD sets or hate them with a passion, but i don't have the opportunity to see the Vizio in person. So if anyone's seen, owned, or fiddled with both then i'd be curious to hear your opinions.

"Back to the thread at hand"? That's why I tried to keep it simple and provide a "generalization"...PQ has a lot to do with this thread so when someone is having problems it doesn't hurt to try and help someone understand why so they don't spend day after day trying to tweak the set when it may not be the set...give me the name of a provider that is "decent" when it comes to HD and does not compress the HD signal to the point where the PQ is noticably affected versus an OTA signal? Now...where were we?
post #189 of 4456 Old 03-05-2006, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanC View Post

I do not have either. But I'm in the market for a new t.v and these two are the front runners. To me the Sony has a brighter picture. With crisper images and better detail. But I'm still not sure of which one, do to the different issues each set has. Does any one know what the viewing angle is of the Vizio?
post #190 of 4456 Old 03-05-2006, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoore363 View Post

I do not have either. But I'm in the market for a new t.v and these two are the front runners. To me the Sony has a brighter picture. With crisper images and better detail. But I'm still not sure of which one, do to the different issues each set has. Does any one know what the viewing angle is of the Vizio?

Listed viewing angle is 170 degrees. I can't find an angle comfortable for viewing that doesn't show a perfect picture. I haven't seen a SXRD in action so I can't comment on how it displays from odd angles...
post #191 of 4456 Old 03-05-2006, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi.night View Post

I think I get what your saying...but I'm not sure where in the Harmony setup I do this.....It asks for several ways to setup the Inputs for the Vizio....which one do I choose?

OK. Go into your Harmony Web Page and Customize your Vinc Monitor to adjust your inputs. These are the answers I give at each step.

1. Select Adjust Inputs
2. Select 1st option "Flip through inputs...", Next
3. Setup your input names and order, Next
4. Answer "No" when asked if unused inputs are skipped, Next
5. Specify "Use These input commands" to cycle inputs --> inputNext, Next
6. Select option that Input stays where it was when TV is turned off, Next
7.Here is the part I did not rember. "Setting Up Your TV". Choose "Yes, I know how to go directly to the first INPUT.", Next
8.When you click next you can specify what command to send. I specify "InputRGB".

That setup tells the Vizio to always start at your RGB input.

Hope that helps.
post #192 of 4456 Old 03-05-2006, 06:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

OK. Go into your Harmony Web Page and Customize your Vinc Monitor to adjust your inputs. These are the answers I give at each step.

1. Select Adjust Inputs
7.Here is the part I did not rember. "Setting Up Your TV". Choose "Yes, I know how to go directly to the first INPUT.", Next
8.When you click next you can specify what command to send. I specify "InputRGB".

Hope that helps.

Thanks...I will give it a shot and report back with the results...

Thanks again!
post #193 of 4456 Old 03-05-2006, 06:56 AM

Worked for me, not the optimum solution but functional! What did you decrease the time between commands to?
post #194 of 4456 Old 03-05-2006, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
anyone that has one of these recently purchased and anyone thinking of buying one, i was in ****** today and i would suggest you check out your local one.
in fact, rather than have vizio replace my boards, i am going to return it and get a newer build. itll work out good ALL the way around...
post #195 of 4456 Old 03-05-2006, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandsr View Post

Worked for me, not the optimum solution but functional! What did you decrease the time between commands to?

Choose to Customize your Vizio options.

1. Select "Adjust the delays"
2. I lowered my Input Delay to 300ms.

I was going to try lower but forgot and have not played with it. I think the default is 1000ms.
post #196 of 4456 Old 03-05-2006, 08:49 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
This thread sucks! It's gotta be the absolute worst one I've ever seen, I haven't seen one valuble piece of information on it yet, even the original one was horrible, 160 pages of FAN NOISE, BUZZING, REMOTES AND SERVICE MENUS, I see this one is just as bad, I ask a simple question about how to maximize PQ and people post about friggin Harmony remotes and starting a VIZIO CLUB! WOW! Good luck to any of us owners who would like to know something useful and productive about this TV. I can't even start a (Performance & PQ) thread 'cuz the Mods will just move it here.

BTW, thankyou Pdawg17 for helping, I'm glad to see that there's one other person out there!

This is my sig...
post #197 of 4456 Old 03-06-2006, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howardstern View Post

This thread sucks! It's gotta be the absolute worst one I've ever seen, I haven't seen one valuble piece of information on it yet, even the original one was horrible, 160 pages of FAN NOISE, BUZZING, REMOTES AND SERVICE MENUS, I see this one is just as bad, I ask a simple question about how to maximize PQ and people post about friggin Harmony remotes and starting a VIZIO CLUB! WOW! Good luck to any of us owners who would like to know something useful and productive about this TV. I can't even start a (Performance & PQ) thread 'cuz the Mods will just move it here.

BTW, thankyou Pdawg17 for helping, I'm glad to see that there's one other person out there!

You didn't recieve much help because you are aking a question that can't be answered.... every Vizio is a little different. As has been recommended before, attach with HDMI or component cables. Then use a disc like Video Essentials to adjust your settings. The Vizio has plenty of "pop" with a good source. Unfortunately sat & cable are compressing the HD creating most of the image problems you describe.
post #198 of 4456 Old 03-06-2006, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Yesterday I looked at the Vizio sitting next to a Panasonic showing the same program. The Panny PQ was much better. I know set up is a major deal, so tell me, if both displays are set up properly should I see much difference in PQ?
post #199 of 4456 Old 03-06-2006, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post

Yesterday I looked at the Vizio sitting next to a Panasonic showing the same program. The Panny PQ was much better. I know set up is a major deal, so tell me, if both displays are set up properly should I see much difference in PQ?

It definitely shouldn't look a lot better...if I had to quantify it maybe 5-10% better...to me, Pannys look better out of the box (default settings)...
post #200 of 4456 Old 03-06-2006, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrell View Post

anyone that has one of these recently purchased and anyone thinking of buying one, i was in ****** today and i would suggest you check out your local one.
in fact, rather than have vizio replace my boards, i am going to return it and get a newer build. itll work out good ALL the way around...

Dtrell, when did you purchase your Vizio? I just purchased mine 1 wk ago with the most recent build date and still have the buzzing noise. Is this the only problem you are having with the TV?
post #201 of 4456 Old 03-06-2006, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

my component 2 inputs do not work right either. anythig hooked to it will cut in and out and an occasional "no signal" will appear. vizio was set to bring out a power board and a main board, but ill see how my replacement saturday will work. this latest one is an f53 build.
post #202 of 4456 Old 03-06-2006, 03:47 PM

Quote:

my component 2 inputs do not work right either. anythig hooked to it will cut in and out and an occasional "no signal" will appear. vizio was set to bring out a power board and a main board, but ill see how my replacement saturday will work. this latest one is an f53 build.

Actually, I am scheduled for a power board replacement tomorrow (for buzzing issue). I've seen in this forum that the success rate of cutting the noise by doing such is 50/50. I will take my chances before considering returning it. I will let you all know if it works. If the noise persists, back it goes.
post #203 of 4456 Old 03-06-2006, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

kulass, its just a stopgap until the new pannies come out anyway.
post #204 of 4456 Old 03-06-2006, 04:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

1. Select Adjust Inputs

Hope that helps.

Well, I'm glad to say it works....
It's kind of funny seeing the Vizio cycle through most of the inputs once I turn it on and it's already on the correct input. But I can't complain. The remote is now fully functional with a bit of creativity!!!

Thanks for the setup advice!
post #205 of 4456 Old 03-06-2006, 06:11 PM
Advanced Member

It is strange, but I have no noise and this model is F26. If it starts making noise, I too would consider the return. I guess I will need that 2007 GL Benz after all. The harmony remote can fit in the front seat. Hey Howard, HD porn gives nice PQ on this set.
post #206 of 4456 Old 03-06-2006, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

kulass, its just a stopgap until the new pannies come out anyway.

The only thing with the Pannies at Costco is they seem to be the versions with very limited inputs (1 HDMI, etc)...I guess it depends on what your needs are...
post #207 of 4456 Old 03-07-2006, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
New VIZIO March Madness Press Release Posted-
ww.vizioce.com/site/news/VIZIO_MARCH_MEDNESS_PRICING_ANNOUNCED.html

-Jim Noyd
Noyd Communications Inc.
Representing VIZIO, DVDO,
Luxury Technology Show,
Kimber Kable, Krell
post #208 of 4456 Old 03-07-2006, 09:38 AM

Is anyone experiencing a similar issue with their Vizio P50HD especially during cutaway scenes in shows like CSI where they are doing a special effects segment or a flashback where the set for a split second blacksout?
post #209 of 4456 Old 03-07-2006, 10:46 AM

MSRP of $2,499, that is an insane price for a 50" Plasma.
post #210 of 4456 Old 03-07-2006, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adebebe View Post

Is anyone experiencing a similar issue with their Vizio P50HD especially during cutaway scenes in shows like CSI where they are doing a special effects segment or a flashback where the set for a split second blacksout?

What is your contrast set at? If I put contrast above 68 (I don't keep it there but in the past I've toyed with the idea) that would happen...might be a power issue with the set...
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page