AVS Forum

AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Plasma Flat Panel Displays (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/167-plasma-flat-panel-displays/)
-   -   Official Vizio P50HD Thread ( part 2): NO PRICING: Technical Issues ONLY! (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/167-plasma-flat-panel-displays/647041-official-vizio-p50hd-thread-part-2-no-pricing-technical-issues-only.html)

markrubin 02-19-2006 05:14 PM

This is a continuation of the Official Visio P50HD thread which has grown quite large and has been closed

Since the set comes mainly from chain stores, limited reference to them is allowed, but discussions of their policies should be posted in the Costsco et al Sticky and not here

Pricing: NO PRICE talk in this thread other than MSRP: NO retail links: all forum rules apply here

note AVS is intended for Technical Issues: not pricing or marketing

Jim Noyd 02-19-2006 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post

This is a continuation of the Official Visio P50HD thread which has grown quite large and has been closed

Since the set comes mainly from one chain, limited reference to Costco is allowed, but discussions of Costsco policies should be posted in the Costsco Sticky and not here

Pricing: NO PRICE talk in this thread other than MSRP: NO retail links: all forum rules apply here

note AVS is intended for Technical Issues: not pricing or marketing

Not a bad thread, over 372,000 views and 4,700 posts.

dtrell 02-19-2006 06:26 PM

actually markrubin, its two chains pretty equally right now.

anyway, PDAWG and DRWAM, i returned my june build set to ***'s and kept the F53 build unit...picture quality i think is a tad better but nothing extra to write home about. the buzz is a little louder than my F27 build, so i think i am going to call vizio tomorrow and have them replace the board doing the buzzing. im sure they can get it down some with a new board. as far as keeping it or getting one of the new panasonics, time will tell. had no problems at all returning it to ***'s, did tell the guy it had a bad pixel and i think he was going to mark it down and try to resell it. other than the pixel it was a fine set...but for 2599 retail, i want all pixels to work correctly...period. the thing that worries me is that if they can go bad over time, whats to say it wont happen on all of their sets?

Woodrow 02-19-2006 06:38 PM

Okay, just so we're all on the same page

dtrell, what you just posted in not acceptable. Editing out the letters with *** does not cut it.

I'm going to assume you are being honest here and made a mistake, but you mentioning how easy it was to return it to costco, or sam's is off topic for this thread. It is for P50 technical issues. Everyone stick to talking about the set, or the manufacturer, and everything will be fine. When Mark said "limited reference is allowed", that means if you bought one somewhere, you can post that, but it needs to end there. When you make mention of the ease of return at a specific vendor, it will cause someone to ask for more info, or post there own return experience. This type of info goes in the master thread.

All that said, dtrell, I do appreciate what you said in the Part I P50 thread about not having to like a rule, to follow it. We do this in an effort to make the forum a great place for everyone. Given that, we all have to make sacrifices. But we all like this place, even given the rules, as evidenced by our continued coming here. Please remember that is why these rules exist. They are an effort to maintain the formula that has worked for AVS and it's members for a long time.

thanks again all

kulassrn 02-19-2006 10:24 PM

another observation between these two cables/connection (through Cox), HDMI do look somewhat better in PQ when viewing HD or HD DVD. However, I see lots of noise and interferrance with HDMI when watching SD channels as compared to component.

Anyone else have the same experience?

BTW, any cox (orange county, ca)subscribers here, they give free cables with subscription (hdmi, optical, component, etc.) save yourself $$.

pdawg17 02-19-2006 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrell View Post

actually markrubin, its two chains pretty equally right now.

anyway, PDAWG and DRWAM, i returned my june build set to ***'s and kept the F53 build unit...picture quality i think is a tad better but nothing extra to write home about. the buzz is a little louder than my F27 build, so i think i am going to call vizio tomorrow and have them replace the board doing the buzzing. im sure they can get it down some with a new board. as far as keeping it or getting one of the new panasonics, time will tell. had no problems at all returning it to ***'s, did tell the guy it had a bad pixel and i think he was going to mark it down and try to resell it. other than the pixel it was a fine set...but for 2599 retail, i want all pixels to work correctly...period. the thing that worries me is that if they can go bad over time, whats to say it wont happen on all of their sets?

Is it just a "feeling" that the PQ is better or do you notice something specific (sharper, etc)?

dtrell 02-20-2006 04:31 AM

well pdawg, when youre talking about something that close, its hard to be empirical. i would say at this point that its just a feeling. id say its slightly sharper, but not enough to where id have hassled with returning the old one if it didnt have a bad pixel develop. now i have to call vinc today and get them to replace the buzzing board.

R6Zak 02-20-2006 05:17 AM

picked mine up the other day, mounted it now i see 4 neon red lines about an inch apart on the right side of the screen. they dissappear and come and go depending on the picture on the screen :-/ kinda looks like a laser pointer beam when you place it along a wall :P

emcee 02-20-2006 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyedoc_00 View Post

I just picked up this set a few days ago. I have been reading this forum and trying to find answers to a couple of questions.

1. what type of connections to I need to be able to use the panoramic mode? HDMI, Component, S-video?

2. Could you explain what the handshake issue is?

Thank you

The panaoramic mode is available using S-video. I use S-video to make setup changes on the SA8300 since I get no picture in the 8300 setup mode using the HDMI connection. I leave an S-video connection available for that reason and I tried and saw the panoramic option.

dtrell 02-20-2006 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R6Zak View Post

picked mine up the other day, mounted it now i see 4 neon red lines about an inch apart on the right side of the screen. they dissappear and come and go depending on the picture on the screen :-/ kinda looks like a laser pointer beam when you place it along a wall :P

take it back to whichever of the two establishments selling it that you purchased it from.

R6Zak 02-20-2006 06:24 AM

Quote:

take it back to whichever of the two establishments selling it that you purchased it from.

hoped you were not goign to say that, thats an hour away + i gotta get it onto my truck these guys are heavy!

eyedoc_00 02-20-2006 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee View Post

The panaoramic mode is available using S-video. I use S-video to make setup changes on the SA8300 since I get no picture in the 8300 setup mode using the HDMI connection. I leave an S-video connection available for that reason and I tried and saw the panoramic option.

Thank you. I wanted to try the panoramic mode to see if I could stretch the SD picture to the entire screen. I did some checking on my Dish Network HD receiver and found a way to stretch the SD picture. The picture looks good no distortion in the streched mode. I have the SD picture in wide mode from the vizio and then strecth it with the dish receiver.

dtrell 02-20-2006 08:15 AM

Quote:

hoped you were not goign to say that, thats an hour away + i gotta get it onto my truck these guys are heavy!

well you could always call vizio and they will come replace the board. it sounds like a board problem, but if it is the panel, they will replace that also or just replace the unit...however, its quicker dirtier and easier to just exchange it.

tacos 02-20-2006 08:32 AM

Couple of questions. 1) For you guys who own this unit. How does it compare to the new Maxent? 2) You know how maxent is made with panasonic parts. What are these made with? Thanks

pdawg17 02-20-2006 08:36 AM

Quote:

To troubleshoot, have you tried different inputs or type of connection (s-video, component, HDMI)?

eyedoc_00 02-20-2006 08:41 AM

My dish network receiver gives me the option of 420p, 720p, or 1080i, What is the best setting for the Vizio?

dtrell 02-20-2006 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacos View Post

Couple of questions. 1) For you guys who own this unit. How does it compare to the new Maxent? 2) You know how maxent is made with panasonic parts. What are these made with? Thanks

LG panel with Genesis Scaler and Faroudja (Genesis now owns) DeInterlacer.

dtrell 02-20-2006 08:50 AM

Quote:

My dish network receiver gives me the option of 420p, 720p, or 1080i, What is the best setting for the Vizio?

use all settings iff possible and let the vizio scale and deinterlace.

Jim Noyd 02-20-2006 09:04 AM

Quote:

720p or or switch back and forth to the content's native rate and let the VIZIO scale.

goseecal61 02-20-2006 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Noyd View Post

720p or or switch back and forth to the content's native rate and let the VIZIO scale.

Is there a way to tell what is the content's native rate Jim? I tried all the different settings on the STB, but the PQ of Vizio is just too good and I don't see a whole lot of difference.

dtrell 02-20-2006 10:51 AM

goseecal, you check the native rate of the content by allowing all formats from your STB. then whatever format appears in the STB window, thats what it is. unfortunately (and i dont understand why) the vizio only shows the input on the screen and doesnt show the type of signal it is receiving, unlike almost every other plasma brand.

eyedoc_00 02-20-2006 12:18 PM

Hey guys, thank you for answering my questions. I have another one.
As I stated before, I just picked up this set. I have had it about 4 days. Average run time is about 3-4 hours per day so far. How often should I use the screen washer?

Jim Noyd 02-20-2006 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goseecal61 View Post

Is there a way to tell what is the content's native rate Jim? I tried all the different settings on the STB, but the PQ of Vizio is just too good and I don't see a whole lot of difference.

My comment was meant mainly for Over The Air OTA HD TV content. In most cases you'll get CBS, NBC, WB, UPN in 1080i with ABC and Fox in 720p. So I switch from 720p to 1080i when watching the 1080i stations. This allows the good scaler and deinterlacer in the Vizio to do the scaling to its native resolution. And for DVD you could probably benefit by outputting 480i component video and letting it deinterlace and scale there as well.

To see what OTA HDTV stations are in your area and to see what ATSC format they're broadcasting go to antennaweb.org.

If all else fails output 720p as it will like it better in most cases because 1080i will introduce interlacing artifacts.

cafara 02-20-2006 01:34 PM

I posted this in the last thread and didn't get any responses, so here goes again:

Can anyone that is using a harmony and having it work correctly with this TV check their settings on the web site? If you go under the TV properties and select "adjust the delays"?

What is listed there?

Thanks

mdifabio 02-20-2006 02:30 PM

Quote:

now i have to call vinc today and get them to replace the buzzing board.

Good luck with that dtrell!

I hassled with a Vizio replacement of my F50's buzzing board for a month and when it was all said and done, it was no better than before the fix. But by all means, let us know your results.

mdifabio

emcee 02-20-2006 02:55 PM

Quote:

As I stated before, I just picked up this set. I have had it about 4 days. Average run time is about 3-4 hours per day so far. How often should I use the screen washer?

Depends on what you are watching. If it's full screen TV all the time then once a month at most (unless you keep it on a channel that has a static image always displayed, or a stock ticker on the bottom etc). If its mostly video games then once a day or more (every couple of hours of play - or just give it a rest on an HD channel). That's why the owners manual tells you to switch content often.

John L 02-20-2006 04:00 PM

Quote:

I talked to tech help at Vizio about this, and they said we should use it regularly, whether we think it needs it or not So I run mine once a week.

goseecal61 02-20-2006 05:48 PM

Quote:

Thank you. I wanted to try the panoramic mode to see if I could stretch the SD picture to the entire screen. I did some checking on my Dish Network HD receiver and found a way to stretch the SD picture. The picture looks good no distortion in the streched mode. I have the SD picture in wide mode from the vizio and then strecth it with the dish receiver.

If you can fill the screen in the wide mode, it is better than the panoramic mode. The panoramic mode will be distorted except the center.

csmith 02-20-2006 06:34 PM

Quote:

goseecal, you check the native rate of the content by allowing all formats from your STB. then whatever format appears in the STB window, thats what it is. unfortunately (and i dont understand why) the vizio only shows the input on the screen and doesnt show the type of signal it is receiving, unlike almost every other plasma brand.

Dish sat receivers only allow selecting a particular output format, not like some cable boxes that allow the native format. I'm not sure about Directv sat receivers.

KKemp 02-20-2006 06:48 PM

............With a sweet picture. Loving this set for 4 days now.