Official Panasonic 37", 42", 50", 58" & 65" (60, 600, etc)- Questions, Sightings, Etc - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 5782 Old 03-14-2006, 08:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Another newbie here. Just got off the phone with Panasonic and the guy told me the 60U would be available next week and the 600U would be available in late April or early May. I asked the difference between the two (I read as much of this thread as possible to find the answer to this question) and he said the 60U does not have a CableCard slot (I probably wouldn't use this anyway since I want PPV option), less speakers (won't use those either since I'll be going thru my HT receiver), no front/side jacks (won't use those as all cables will be run from the back). Am I missing something else? Other than what is listed, are these identical TV's? I'd just as soon save the extra $500 and get the 60U.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 5782 Old 03-14-2006, 08:26 AM

Another newbie too. Thanks for useful information. Great forums and members!

tulinoc, can you order thru Panasonic Direct? I was going to order this morning but didn't do it because Beto3645 mentioned that they won't accept the phone order.
post #633 of 5782 Old 03-14-2006, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimsk112 View Post

Another newbie too. Thanks for useful information. Great forums and members!

tulinoc, can you order thru Panasonic Direct? I was going to order this morning but didn't do it because Beto3645 mentioned that they won't accept the phone order.

I didn't ask since I was still evaluating between the 2 (as well as other brands). The guy seemed less than enamored with talking to me. He couldn't give me any info on the 600U other than the ship timeframe. That's why I thought I'd ask here.
post #634 of 5782 Old 03-14-2006, 08:46 AM

I am logged into my company EPP website for Panasonic right now, the 42PX60U is there, free shipping and a 17% discount off list price. so you are saying its actually not orderable?

I guess you cannot stack the EPP discount, plus the club panasonic 10%? that would be too good to be true.
post #635 of 5782 Old 03-14-2006, 08:48 AM

the 60U does not have picture-in-picture (PIP), the 600U does.
post #636 of 5782 Old 03-14-2006, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulinoc View Post

Another newbie here. Just got off the phone with Panasonic and the guy told me the 60U would be available next week and the 600U would be available in late April or early May. I asked the difference between the two (I read as much of this thread as possible to find the answer to this question) and he said the 60U does not have a CableCard slot (I probably wouldn't use this anyway since I want PPV option), less speakers (won't use those either since I'll be going thru my HT receiver), no front/side jacks (won't use those as all cables will be run from the back). Am I missing something else? Other than what is listed, are these identical TV's? I'd just as soon save the extra $500 and get the 60U.

600's also have PC input. You could get around that if you still wanted to hook up a PC, but I think it's a less optimal arrangement. This could all change with the new UDI standard recently introduced by Intel and Apple (if it flies). As I understand it, the UDI is completely compatible with HDMI, but TV makers don't have to pay a royalty fee to the HDMI licensing agency, which makes it cheaper to implement. Eventually, PCs will be plugged into HDMI/UDI ports, so content providers can maintain copy protection while users get full HD.

The PC input is what keeps me from getting the 60. I just want the flexibility to add in a computer if and when it becomes a more useful input device. Then again, if this new UDI standard comes out, could make it all happen with another HDMI input. But then I will need 3 inputs, not just 2!
post #637 of 5782 Old 03-14-2006, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyca View Post

I am logged into my company EPP website for Panasonic right now, the 42PX60U is there, free shipping and a 17% discount off list price. so you are saying its actually not orderable?

I guess you cannot stack the EPP discount, plus the club panasonic 10%? that would be too good to be true.

I ordered yesterday evening using my company's EPP discount. I actually called and did it over the phone. Tell them the company you work for and they will honor the discount.

I asked the salesman if it was possible to add the club panasonic discount on top of the EPP discount...not surprisingly, no. Hey, never hurts to ask.
post #638 of 5782 Old 03-14-2006, 09:01 AM

Thanks. PIP and PC connectivity aren't important to me either. Right now it looks like the 60U is winning.
post #639 of 5782 Old 03-14-2006, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecon54 View Post

I ordered yesterday evening using my company's EPP discount. I actually called and did it over the phone. Tell them the company you work for and they will honor the discount.

I asked the salesman if it was possible to add the club panasonic discount on top of the EPP discount...not surprisingly, no. Hey, never hurts to ask.

I ordered from Panny Direct on 3/10, got a confirmation call today 3/14 to verify the CC order, was told that shipment would not be until around 3/24 or so on the 42PX60Us as they sold out of their previous batch. Kind of PO'd frankly, if they'd processed the order immediately it would've gone out immediately. Still, can't fault Panasonic, they don't actually charge your card until the TV ships so sounds like a fair policy all round.
post #640 of 5782 Old 03-14-2006, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carltoncl View Post

I ordered from Panny Direct on 3/10, got a confirmation call today 3/14 to verify the CC order, was told that shipment would not be until around 3/24 or so on the 42PX60Us as they sold out of their previous batch. Kind of PO'd frankly, if they'd processed the order immediately it would've gone out immediately. Still, can't fault Panasonic, they don't actually charge your card until the TV ships so sounds like a fair policy all round.

Did you check your invoice on Panasonic's website. Mine says date shipped 3/14 but no tracking information is available. I wonder if yours says the same even though they told you it wouldn't ship until 3/24
post #641 of 5782 Old 03-14-2006, 09:21 AM

I purchased the TH-42PX60u and installed it yesterday. It is a superioir set in all ways to the 50U except for the lack of cable card. I am disappointed that the remote does not light up like the old one though....
post #642 of 5782 Old 03-14-2006, 09:25 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyca View Post

The discount used to be roughly 30% - where did our other 13% go Panasonic?
post #643 of 5782 Old 03-14-2006, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpnas View Post

Did you check your invoice on Panasonic's website. Mine says date shipped 3/14 but no tracking information is available. I wonder if yours says the same even though they told you it wouldn't ship until 3/24

Panasonic readily admitted that their online tracking system was broken - mine says nothing, just this:
LL
post #644 of 5782 Old 03-14-2006, 09:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regal125 View Post

I purchased the TH-42PX60u and installed it yesterday. It is a superioir set in all ways to the 50U except for the lack of cable card. I am disappointed that the remote does not light up like the old one though....

Any details as far as picture quality?

I'm curious where you'd seen the 50U for comparison?

Rich H

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #645 of 5782 Old 03-14-2006, 09:36 AM

Quote:

I think mine actually might have gone through more quickly because of what I thought was a hassle at the time. I ended up having to setup a 3-way call with my bank's customer service and the panasonic salesman(john) due to a fraud prevention cap on my card. Seemed to have the side affect of having the transaction pushed through immediately instead of the usualy 2 or 3 days of processing.
post #646 of 5782 Old 03-14-2006, 09:54 AM

Quote:

Panasonic readily admitted that their online tracking system was broken - mine says nothing, just this:

If you go under Print Your invoice it will show more detail. I used to have the same thing under order status but now I have the details of my order along with the price and the status is 'In Process'
post #647 of 5782 Old 03-14-2006, 09:54 AM

thanks. I figured that club panasonic 10% wouldn't be stackable.
post #648 of 5782 Old 03-14-2006, 10:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspirate View Post

GAH, I can not find some info I read earlier. Don't the 600 series have a different tuner arrangement than the 60 series?

Ok... I am still looking for this info, but I am beginning to wonder if I was dreaming.

Can anyone help me with the whole "integrated" vs "built in" tuner issue? The terminology used for the 600 series is different than what is used for the 60 series.

post #649 of 5782 Old 03-14-2006, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheridave View Post

PROXUS,

I currently have a Bello's Stand which is also open like the ones in the picture. I will never buy another stand like that again.

You would not believe the amount of dust, dirt, etc. that is collected in that one area.

From now on my components will be enclosed.

Dave

Enclosed? Like fronts and backs too? Aren't you concerned about the components overheating?

Just wondered.

yb
post #650 of 5782 Old 03-14-2006, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshaheen View Post

I've been lurking around this board for about a month after deciding on the panny 50" over the Sharp Aquos 45". I am one of the lucky ones to have received their 50px60u yesterday from BB. I quickly hooked it up to my DishNetwork VIP 622 HD DVR.

My first impression is WOW! This is an incredible TV. Godsmack on HDNET last night was amazing in Cinema mode. A couple of things I was concerned about were reflectivity/glare and SD image. I must say both are non-issues. Reflectivity is minimal and SD programming looks significantly better than the 45" Aquos and as good as my old 53" Sony RP. HD is phenomenal.

I'm still looking for any negatives with this TV and I'll be sure to post them if I find them.

Anxiously waiting for my 50px60u on April 6th.

I'm thinking of the same setup with the DishNetwork VIP 622 HD DVR.

I'm assuming you're using HDMI. Do you have any handshake issues?
post #651 of 5782 Old 03-14-2006, 10:14 AM

Do you guys that are waiting on the 600 just for PC connectivity know that pretty much any new aftermarket video card will output component? So unless your computer has no available slots you could probably upgrade it for around $50 to allow component video out.
post #652 of 5782 Old 03-14-2006, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yobob View Post

Enclosed? Like fronts and backs too? Aren't you concerned about the components overheating?

Just wondered.

yb

I'm going enclosed too. They're vented, so nothing overheats.
post #653 of 5782 Old 03-14-2006, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbhskier37 View Post

Do you guys that are waiting on the 600 just for PC connectivity know that pretty much any new aftermarket video card will output component? So unless your computer has no available slots you could probably upgrade it for around $50 to allow component video out.

Not to mention with Vista and HD-DVD, you'll be needing a video card that can support HDMI - so DVI or HDMI out, but most likely the latter.
post #654 of 5782 Old 03-14-2006, 10:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Fastest moving thread ever?

Rich H

post #655 of 5782 Old 03-14-2006, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

Fastest moving thread ever?

Pretty much.

post #656 of 5782 Old 03-14-2006, 10:31 AM

Quote:

True, but my PC is no where near my TV. I was planning on using my laptop with the 600u, hence the VGA. Personally, I think he 600u looks nicer (even less silver). I'm really considering, painting or masking off the silver (electrical tape maybe) when I get it. I also want the cable card so I don't need a set top box. I'm not intrested in PPV channels but do want HD.
post #657 of 5782 Old 03-14-2006, 10:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I wouldn't count your chickens yet. The cable companies have already won one of the major HTPC battles. At least to start with, you will be forced to buy retail CableCard compatible unit. Don't expect to buy a PCI device that will function as a CableCard, at least not initially and not legally. This will bleed over to other areas of the home theater PC.

Also don't forget about HDCP. I would bet that if you asked Panny if the 60 series panels are HDCP compliant, you probably won't get a straight answer. You probably aren't paying for the PC input itself.

Anyway, I think the details about the differences in tuners on the 60 and 600 series may be worthy. I just can't figure out what those differences are. Also, how is the PIP going to work (ie with sources)?
post #658 of 5782 Old 03-14-2006, 10:43 AM

Quote:

Even more will output DVI. Can't get more simple or nice looking than just running a DVI->HDMI cable to your set.
post #659 of 5782 Old 03-14-2006, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulinoc

Well, here are the specs from Panasonic through my EPP website. It shows there are speakers and front inputs in 42PX60U model!!!

42PX60U specs.doc 95k . file
post #660 of 5782 Old 03-14-2006, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolit View Post

Well, here are the specs from Panasonic through my EPP website. It shows there are speakers and front inputs in 42PX60U model!!!

I also just confirmed with tech support of Panasonic that it has speakers and front inputs.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page