Official Panasonic 37", 42", 50", 58" & 65" (60, 600, etc)- Questions, Sightings, Etc - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 5782 Old 03-14-2006, 06:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erie33 View Post

Someone asked earlier and I am waiting for the 50X600U strictly for PiP if I didnt need that I would have a 50X60U, PC is nice to have but not a must for me and I may possibly use cable card since I dont order much PPV.

FYI - If you have a dual tuner with your cable/satellite service, you can get PIP on ANY TV. One example is the dual TV HD tuner offered by Dish Network. You can run 2 TV's off the one tuner, and do PIP on either TV if you're not using the other.
From the Dish Network website describing the dual tuner:
"Two Satellite tuners allow you to select from two viewing options:
Single Mode: Picture-In-Picture (PIP) available on any TV
Dual Mode: View separate programming on 2 televisions"

Hope this helps. Maybe it will save those of you waiting for the 600's just for PIP some $ and waiting time!

Isn't PIP a function of BOTH tuner & TV? IOW, the TV also has to be PIP capable and have two tuner inputs. You can have 2 tuners but I believe the TV has to be capable of displaying both inputs simultaneously. I could be wrong (and would love to be as I'm one of those debating between the 8uk and 600 series). Would love to hear from you if you've been able to display two shows simultaneously with either a 50 or 60 series plasma.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 5782 Old 03-14-2006, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtiller View Post

My 42PX60U was delivered this morning by BB here in San Diego at 9:15am.
Setup was a breeze. They assembled the TV on the front porch, which involves taking the screen out of the box, securing 2 stubby mounting legs to the top of the stand with 2 screws and then sliding the screen onto the assembled stand. Then, they brought the set inside and hooked up the coax cable. It worked immediately, pulling in all my SD analog channels from time warner cable. They left after having spent about 7 minutes from arrival to departure. The SD channels looked to be the same quality on the panny as my 4 year old 27 inch JVC CRT.

I hooked up my DMR-E55 panasonic DVD recorder to the component 1 input in back of the TV and then watched the last 15 minutes of Star Wars IV, A New Hope (the first in the series). looks great!! The TV's default video setting out of the box was on "vivid" which was fairly bright so I turned it down to "standard" temporarily, in case there's any break-in issue with the screen. Lots of silver, I'm shaking the black spray paint can right now (it's not that bad)

Hey dtiller,

Glad to see a fellow San Diegan got his new toy as well. My setup was equally easy as yours, and I also immediately turned the set down to "standard" from "vivid". Are you serious about the black spray paint? If you act as the pioneer and let us see some pics, I might join you (although honestly, the silver is not that bad at all). What other settings are you using besides changing to "standard" mode?
post #723 of 5782 Old 03-14-2006, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by directcj View Post

Isn't PIP a function of BOTH tuner & TV? IOW, the TV also has to be PIP capable and have two tuner inputs. You can have 2 tuners but I believe the TV has to be capable of displaying both inputs simultaneously. I could be wrong (and would love to be as I'm one of those debating between the 8uk and 600 series). Would love to hear from you if you've been able to display two shows simultaneously with either a 50 or 60 series plasma.

Good point, I'm going off what I've read so far, but will put it to the test this Saturday when I get Dish Network installed with the tuner referenced above with my 50PX60U I'm picking up Friday. I'll post my results then.
post #724 of 5782 Old 03-14-2006, 06:44 PM

Ok, I just placed an order for 42PX60U with EPP plan. Thanks to this thread.

I was waiting for a long time to buy new 42" Vizio Plasma (for the price), but after reading the reviews by the owners, I wanted to check it out at local Costco. (Also, I read about EPP on Panny, so for me it was a decision time). They did not have 42" on display, but they had 50" sitting between Panasonic and Pio. So it was easy to compare. I have been looking around for a long time and with my experience, Panasonic has the BEST picture in Plasma. The biggest difference I noticed was in the dark scenes. Panasonic shows clear details even in very dark scenes. However, Pio and Vizio (and others in that matter) show only black, washed out, picture with no details. Also, the colors and details on Panny looked very natural (this was on 8th gen panel, so I expect 9th gen will be at least the same if not better). And with just approx 500 price difference through EPP, I think it is worth the price for the quality. So, I placed the order.

I hope I made the right decision. The only advantage with Vizio would have been the return policy.
post #725 of 5782 Old 03-14-2006, 07:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by koolit View Post

Panasonic has the BEST picture in Plasma. The biggest difference I noticed was in the dark scenes. Panasonic shows clear details even in very dark scenes. However, Pio and Vizio (and others in that matter) show only black, washed out, picture with no details.

While I'm partial to the Panasonic, I'm sure you didn't see the Pioneer at it's best. It has black levels very close to the 8th gen Panasonic plasmas, as well as excellent shadow detail (and higher brightness, great scaling, brilliant color etc).

That doesn't mean you didn't make a great choice with the new Panasonic, which sounds amazing!
post #726 of 5782 Old 03-14-2006, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdjdguy View Post

Hey dtiller,

Glad to see a fellow San Diegan got his new toy as well. My setup was equally easy as yours, and I also immediately turned the set down to "standard" from "vivid". Are you serious about the black spray paint? If you act as the pioneer and let us see some pics, I might join you (although honestly, the silver is not that bad at all). What other settings are you using besides changing to "standard" mode?

I wasn't serious, at least not yet about spraying the panny, but a member of the household strongly dislikes any silver finish on TV's. Having never seen one of these until it was delivered, It doesn't look like a good idea to spray paint the wider 3 inch strip along the bottom front of the set (see attached picture).

This area has very small almost invisible holes for the speaker's output. The sliver finish just below that could be sprayed, but maybe just put black electrical tape over that lower bottom 1.5 inch strip, leaving the remote sensor uncovered. (see picture again).

To cover up the 3 inch wide silver speaker area without plugging up the holes with black paint (and voiding the warranty?) I'm going to try cutting a 3 inch by 40 inch length of black construction paper (or other material?) and attaching it with about 6 small pieces of velcro. I don't know how that would affect speaker volume but I use external speakers thru an amplifier so it wouldn't affect my setup. I'm sure I will eventually paint the duck foot stand, black.

As far as picture settings, I have reset the video mode to standard as mentioned without any other changes. The color balance itself looks perfect to me. BTW, thanks for your help in getting the 42PX60U locally. Dave T.
LL
LL
post #727 of 5782 Old 03-14-2006, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erie33 View Post

Good point, I'm going off what I've read so far, but will put it to the test this Saturday when I get Dish Network installed with the tuner referenced above with my 50PX60U I'm picking up Friday. I'll post my results then.

I have time warners DVR and it is giving my PIP on my old crappy TV that has only 1 input. If you hook your TV up to a STB you are only hooking up via one set of cables, the PIP is all done in the STB and then spit out as a single video signal to your TV. This is only my experience with Time Warners DVR, other boxes might be different, but I highly doubt it.
post #728 of 5782 Old 03-14-2006, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freezedried74 View Post

I played a little PG3 and COD2 on it today. It looked amazing.

Thanks for the input, can't wait to get mine....
post #729 of 5782 Old 03-14-2006, 08:36 PM

I visited Sears today. [EDIT]. Delivery was out to the beginning of April. However they [EDIT] and I was able to use the 18month no payment Sears charge card offer. I simply coudn't say no.

Next I visited BB. They delivery for the new 50" was garanteed for this Saturday. [EDIT] I'll pick it up this Saturday.

So the prince difference between the 42 is the 50 is a cool $1K. Which one should I cancel.

Please help me, I'm going crazy here.

P.S. I cannot keep both.
post #730 of 5782 Old 03-14-2006, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by directcj View Post

I have the 50px60u and dish network (dual tuner vip 622 hddvr) and PIP works just fine in "single" mode. You DO NOT need a PIP capable tv to watch PIP using a dual tuner receiver if it supports PIP.
post #731 of 5782 Old 03-14-2006, 08:40 PM

I would keep 50"
post #732 of 5782 Old 03-14-2006, 08:44 PM

Just delivered today. Didn't have time to watch it until tonight. Turned on local ABC HD station using my SA8300HD and found out I could see some video information (noise) at the very top of the screen. It was broadcasting "Inside Edition", which is probably not HD. Seems like the set needs some adjustment to vertical position in the 720p mode.

It's not doing this in 1080i mode, nor on the ABC SD station, and right now (1/2 hour later and a different show) it's not doing it on ABC HD station either.

Guess I'll see if it happens again and try to establish a pattern. Seems like a minor adjustment is needed. I'm using component cables, but doubt that would make a difference.
post #733 of 5782 Old 03-14-2006, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVSGuy View Post

Anxiously waiting for my 50px60u on April 6th.

I'm thinking of the same setup with the DishNetwork VIP 622 HD DVR.

I'm assuming you're using HDMI. Do you have any handshake issues?

Not sure what you're specifically referring to with "handshake issues"? I'm using a HDMI cable and the audio and video are excellent.

EDIT: if by "handshake" you mean the physical connection between the box and cable, I haven't had any problems yet. The connector seems to fit nice and snug.
post #734 of 5782 Old 03-14-2006, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshaheen View Post

I have the 50px60u and dish network (dual tuner vip 622 hddvr) and PIP works just fine in "single" mode. You DO NOT need a PIP capable tv to watch PIP using a dual tuner receiver if it supports PIP.

thx for correction. this is good to know as one of the reasons i like the 8uk is it's PIP capability. That's one plus that isn't much of a plus anymore.
post #735 of 5782 Old 03-14-2006, 09:16 PM

Does anyone who has got the 42px60u or the 50px60u have a s77/s97 and if so is the MB issue still a big deal with the new ones? Sorry if the answer is an obvious one I was just wondering if there was any news that panny had fixed the problem that the displays have. I ask because I will be getting one of those two displays and am getting an s77 for my bday.

PS Online Tag
Drizznay
post #736 of 5782 Old 03-14-2006, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

I've got a dual HD Tuner on my SA-8300HD DVR/STB which has PIP as one of its features, but I never use it due to the crappy PQ it produces. Just the opposite is true when I use the PAP (Picture And Picture) feature on my 40XBR...excellent PQ on BOTH screens.
post #737 of 5782 Old 03-14-2006, 09:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodlum View Post

Since the glass will be thinner with the new PX60/PX600 will this mean they are more succeptible to breakage (ie. less child friendly) ?

If true, you have a tough decision to make.....will it be Pammy or Panny?
post #738 of 5782 Old 03-15-2006, 05:16 AM

Has anyone checked out 50" at pcconnection? I know it's not in stock, but is there another catch there? Warranty issues possibly?
post #739 of 5782 Old 03-15-2006, 05:20 AM

Quote:

Glad I checked back here today, well I am on Direct TV and one of the main reasons I need it is for the Sunday ticket so DISH isnt an option for me being a huge NFL fan. That being said I wonder if Direct offers a similar box, also what are the display options. Is it true Picture in Picture or is it split screen side by side. I have a HD SONY 34 Wega today and I do split screen with the Ticket on one side and OTA HD local game on the other side and make the windows bigger and smaller as I choose "toggling" between both games.

So is this cable box PIP just a basic small window inside a larger one or does it have some true "functionality" like I listed above?
post #740 of 5782 Old 03-15-2006, 05:28 AM
Advanced Member

So, can the 500/600 series Panasonics do PIP from multiple inputs/sources. For example, could you use a CableCard for one input and a STB for another? I don't really care for PIP, but I am curious nonetheless...
post #741 of 5782 Old 03-15-2006, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhiggs View Post

Has anyone checked out the 50" at pcconnection? I know it's not in stock, but is there another catch there? Warranty issues possibly?

I posted yesterday about their 37. It might've been deleted, but I don't know why. Just said it was quite attractive.
post #742 of 5782 Old 03-15-2006, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiovideodude View Post

I visited Sears today. [EDIT]. Delivery was out to the beginning of April. However they [EDIT] and I was able to use the 18month no payment Sears charge card offer. I simply coudn't say no.

Next I visited BB. They delivery for the new 50" was garanteed for this Saturday. [EDIT] I'll pick it up this Saturday.

So the prince difference between the 42 is the 50 is a cool $1K. Which one should I cancel.

Please help me, I'm going crazy here.

P.S. I cannot keep both.

To a fellow Bay Stater I'd cancel the 42 and keep the 50". You won't be disappointed.
Also BB is known to price match the Panasonic MSRP so make sure you got a good price.
post #743 of 5782 Old 03-15-2006, 06:23 AM

Folks, about the STB...

Currently I have a non-HD Scientific Atlanta connected to a standard definition TV. I realize that I have to swap this box for the HD Scientific Atlanta box (getting the one with the DVR) for use with my new Panny 50PX60U.

Here's my question though... Apparently I have to bring my current box to Cablevision to swap it out. Will the new HD Scientific Atlanta box work with my standard def TV while I'm waiting for my new TV to arrive?
post #744 of 5782 Old 03-15-2006, 06:32 AM

Ooooh! Another question! To all the new 60U owners out there, what does Panasonic recommend (in the manual) for cleaning your new PDP screen?
post #745 of 5782 Old 03-15-2006, 06:40 AM

Anyone have anymore info on that pc connection 50"? Might be a catch???
post #746 of 5782 Old 03-15-2006, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajieboy View Post

I've got a dual HD Tuner on my SA-8300HD DVR/STB which has PIP as one of its features, but I never use it due to the crappy PQ it produces. Just the opposite is true when I use the PAP (Picture And Picture) feature on my 40XBR...excellent PQ on BOTH screens.

The PQ on the Dish VIP 622 is unaffected by PIP. I swap between the built in tuners without any change in PQ.
post #747 of 5782 Old 03-15-2006, 06:51 AM

Was trying to wait until SED came out, but read SED was delayed until Fall '07.

So I went shopping and lucked out. I got mine Sunday. Beautiful! 2 HDMI's - sweet. Got it a major chain retailer in Atlanta. No models on display in the store. But they received 100+ of them in the main distribution warehouse last week. Panasonic MSRP is 3499 but they are selling it for 3999. Lucky me, my son is an employee. Major employee discount.

Trying to follow the break-in guidance elsewhere in this forum. Zoomed SD from my Tivo really looks bad. Almost can't stand to watch SD anymore.

Luckily I have the discontinued Sony HD PVR.

HD OTA is gorgeous.

Don't think I will miss not having P-in-P.

Bob V
Atlanta, GA
post #748 of 5782 Old 03-15-2006, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagg21 View Post

Glad I checked back here today, well I am on Direct TV and one of the main reasons I need it is for the Sunday ticket so DISH isnt an option for me being a huge NFL fan. That being said I wonder if Direct offers a similar box, also what are the display options. Is it true Picture in Picture or is it split screen side by side. I have a HD SONY 34 Wega today and I do split screen with the Ticket on one side and OTA HD local game on the other side and make the windows bigger and smaller as I choose "toggling" between both games.

So is this cable box PIP just a basic small window inside a larger one or does it have some true "functionality" like I listed above?

No "side by side" as of yet. I would love it if Dish came out with this feature. My old Sony did side by side.

The Dish box allows for standard PIP with the ability to change between two sizes and multiple locations for the picture-in-picture. You can also use the full DVR functionality (e.g., pause live tv) on either picture as long as it's the active picture (i.e., I can pause a program then swap to the other picture).
post #749 of 5782 Old 03-15-2006, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNero View Post

Ooooh! Another question! To all the new 60U owners out there, what does Panasonic recommend (in the manual) for cleaning your new PDP screen?

I don't remember where I read this, but the advice I heard is that you should only use a non-scratching cleaning cloth like you would buy in a camera store, because even a soft-feeling cloth that isn't approved for cleaning lenses could permanently scratch the glass on the plasma. I believe the preferred cleaning method is this dry cloth. For stubborn marks you can use just a touch of water on the cloth. As a last resort, you can use a tad of mild dishwashing soap like Dawn.
post #750 of 5782 Old 03-15-2006, 07:11 AM

I ordered my 42" on the 10th and it arrived in Dallas today!!!

Gets delivered tomorrow.

SWEET!!!
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page