Official Panasonic 37", 42", 50", 58" & 65" (60, 600, etc)- Questions, Sightings, Etc - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 5782 Old 03-07-2006, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by kornkid843 View Post

Does anyone know if there are any differences between the 37" and 42" besides the 5 inches? Also will stuff look weird since the TV isn't true HD?

Not at all weird. There have been many posts here over the years where many claimed it wasn't worth the large diff. between ED and HD on the 42" models. The diff. when viewin HD is noticeable but very minimal. We have had our 42" ED Panny for 4+ years - when the cost for an ED was $5K and HD was a thousand or two more. We also got a 50" HD Panny last year. No major diff. in viewing pleasure.

...mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 5782 Old 03-07-2006, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by scherer326 View Post

is there an estimate when the 600u's will be available. late March? April? May?

I am deciding between the 60u and 600u, but may lean towards the later one because of the pc input.

Will this work with the 60u regarding PC. I know that the s-video will work from cpu to tv, but can I use a DVI to HDMI cable from computer cpu to HDMI input on TV. Is this okay or should I just get the 600u for the vga input.

If I'm not mistaken, because of the HDCP on the HDMI ports, you can't send a signal that doesn't have this encryption to the HDMI, which would include the DVI port from a computer. I downloaded the manual for the 50U from Panasonic's website a while back, and I seem to remember there is a note that warns against trying to send a PC signal through the HDMI ports. I might be wrong on this, but I think that is the case. I am also interested in the 600 partly because of the PC input, although I wish it was a straight DVI instead of VGA, but that seems to be rare.
post #93 of 5782 Old 03-07-2006, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycho52 View Post

If I'm not mistaken, because of the HDCP on the HDMI ports, you can't send a signal that doesn't have this encryption to the HDMI, which would include the DVI port from a computer. I downloaded the manual for the 50U from Panasonic's website a while back, and I seem to remember there is a note that warns against trying to send a PC signal through the HDMI ports. I might be wrong on this, but I think that is the case. I am also interested in the 600 partly because of the PC input, although I wish it was a straight DVI instead of VGA, but that seems to be rare.

I am almost certain that a hdmi port can take a unencrytped signal. Its up to the device sending the signal (and ultimitaly the source like a dvd or the channel) to decide if it will use the HDCP bit or not ... if its enabled you need a HDCP capable input to recieve it.. if not then your ok.

I think the trouble people get is when going from a HDCP capable output (Like a HDMI port) to a non HDCP capable input (Like a standard DVD input). The device wants to send a encrypted signal and the recieving device can't decrypt it.

Anyways DVI->HDMI from your computer should work if you have your tv on while booting your computer.

I can test this for you guys tomorrow when my tv (60U) and dvd player arive as the player has a DVI->hdmi cable with it.
post #94 of 5782 Old 03-07-2006, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodOmens View Post

I am almost certain that a hdmi port can take a unencrytped signal. Its up to the device sending the signal (and ultimitaly the source like a dvd or the channel) to decide if it will use the HDCP bit or not ... if its enabled you need a HDCP capable input to recieve it.. if not then your ok.

I think the trouble people get is when going from a HDCP capable output (Like a HDMI port) to a non HDCP capable input (Like a standard DVD input). The device wants to send a encrypted signal and the recieving device can't decrypt it.

Anyways DVI->HDMI from your computer should work if you have your tv on while booting your computer.

I can test this for you guys tomorrow when my tv (60U) and dvd player arive as the player has a DVI->hdmi cable with it.

Apparently, on the 50U and 500U's, the panny manual says that the HDMI input is "not intended to be used with a PC". So maybe you can, but just have to tweak it a bit to make it look right? I wonder if it's different on the new models? I'm definitely interested in hearing how it works!
post #95 of 5782 Old 03-07-2006, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

didnt mean to bombard this thread with my initial comment.

Basically if I want to watch a video from my PC to TV and want to get the 60U, how can I do this. What is the best way to accomplish this with the best picture quality possible without getting the 600U.
post #96 of 5782 Old 03-07-2006, 12:23 PM

So I was at Best Buy today and they guy was telling me he wouldn't probably get the new line in for a couple of months because "Thats how retail works." I dunno if he was trying to sell me on the older model, they had a 50" open box for $$$$. As I was leaving I heard him yell out you can buy them now or something. I haven't seen anywhere online selling them besides MyTaxFree and I want to go to a B&M place so I can finance.
post #97 of 5782 Old 03-07-2006, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornkid843 View Post

So I was at Best Buy today and they guy was telling me he wouldn't probably get the new line in for a couple of months because "Thats how retail works." I dunno if he was trying to sell me on the older model, they had a 50" open box for $2500. As I was leaving I heard him yell out you can buy them now or something. I haven't seen anywhere online selling them besides MyTaxFree and I want to go to a B&M place so I can finance.

The 60U's are available at some but not all BB's. I don't think any have them at the store but they are available in the regional warehouse.

You will have to ask them to look in their invetory system to see if you can get one.
post #98 of 5782 Old 03-07-2006, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

O.K. Thanks to this forum/thread, I was able to get the local BB to "price match" what others here had pd. for their 42px60u. Almost no hassle. The system here had them priced in their system at well over MSRP of 2499.99. They have about 70 in stock in the system. None were in the store. Will pick it up in 4 days.
I went to the Oakland/Emeryville store. My guess is the local distributtion system covers the whole Bay Area.
They were in the process of setting up the 50px60u on display. No tag or anything was set on it. It doesn't look quite as ugly w. all that silver in person as it did in pictures.

To answer a question posed above - the speakers are at the bottom and are NOT detachable on the 50". The 42", in pictures, looks identical.

...mike
post #99 of 5782 Old 03-07-2006, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The 60U's are available at some but not all BB's. I don't think any have them at the store but they are available in the regional warehouse.

You will have to ask them to look in their invetory system to see if you can get one.

Stock number for BB is: 7679185 It is easier for them to locate it via stock number.

...mike
post #100 of 5782 Old 03-07-2006, 01:04 PM

Quote:

In the UK forums there are definite posts from members having got a pc to work through the HDMI port.

Although it is easier to configure some graphics cards over others.
post #101 of 5782 Old 03-07-2006, 01:12 PM

the speakers do not come off on the 42 either.
post #102 of 5782 Old 03-07-2006, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruZZi View Post

Yes, the TH-65PX600U has speakers on the side.

See a picture here:

http://www.bruzzi.ws/plasma-faq/showthread.php?t=99

ATTENTION: The New Domain for BruZZi's Plasma FAQ is bruzzi.ws
If you have a direct link to the site please uptade to the new Domain Name.

Thanks Bruzzi, great pics, It appears from the photos that the speakers are detachable. I plan on using the Chief PDR Dual Arm Wall Mount, which with a 37" extension from the wall should allow a 90 degree left or right swivel.

This month's new word. The Dopeler Effect: The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they come at you rapidly .
post #103 of 5782 Old 03-07-2006, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Anyone have physical dimensions for these displays, specifically interested in the 50" models...

Main screen turn on. All your base are belong to us.
post #104 of 5782 Old 03-07-2006, 01:20 PM

For those interested I found this link on Panny's site:

Panny Catalog Link

That lists the 42PX60U and 50PX60U in comparison.

Including dimensions, weight etc.
post #105 of 5782 Old 03-07-2006, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapbook View Post

In the UK forums there are definite posts from members having got a pc to work through the HDMI port.

Although it is easier to configure some graphics cards over others.

True I've read various articles on how to get it to work.

Another viable option is to use a DVI-I->Component converter. Or a vga->component and just hook the computer up via component cables.
post #106 of 5782 Old 03-07-2006, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

I am really tempted to break open one of these boxes.... I have not seen one in person yet....

I don't know how you can resist.

Since you're a seller (and on the inside track), any advance word on when the 65 inch 600U sets will appear in your store? (It seems like the 60U and 600U models are a tad early. Could the 65 inch set show up as early as May?)
post #107 of 5782 Old 03-07-2006, 01:58 PM

so do the new models allow HD stretching?
post #108 of 5782 Old 03-07-2006, 02:07 PM

My store does not have them but the warehouse does, if I ordered today pickup would be Saturday 3/11.
post #109 of 5782 Old 03-07-2006, 02:30 PM

I thought I saw a picture where the 600 was going to be black. Is this true?
post #110 of 5782 Old 03-07-2006, 03:16 PM

Hi All:

I've been lurking for sometime and have been impressed with everyone's depth of knowledge.

I was hoping to get some advice - I just purchased the TH50PM50u from Costco - which from my research appears to be the same as the TH50PX50u minus the tuner. Not sure where the imaging circuitry is the same as the PX or the 8UK but I'd guess it's the same as the PX. I've got it hooked into a Dish HD box using an HDMI connection through a Pioneer 72 receiver that has HD switching using HDMI.

I was curious (and haven't had a chance to test this yet using a test disc and will post results when I do) about whether those on this forum had any views on the following:

1) Should I set my STB output setting to 720 or 1080i? It appears that both settings require decoding by the screen. Frankly, without a test disc, it's been difficult for me to see any difference between the various STB HD settings (even 480).

2) Any thoughts on whether HDMI offers better PQ with this type of set up vs. component video? I haven't gotten an extra set to compare. I think I can set up my receiver to feed component to the set when watching DVD (I have an older DVD player with no digital out) and feed HDMI when watching TV.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Mike
post #111 of 5782 Old 03-07-2006, 04:02 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi Mike:
I had almost picked the same model from costco, but then some research on this Forum and found out that the earlier (50/500) models were losing resolution. That's why I'm wating for the 600/60 series(and some reviews). So, to answer your question, I do not know whether HDMI was going to help you overcome the issue with 50 series.
-Sam

Speakers: Pioneer/TAD S-1EX, S-7EX, Ascend HTM200
Pre/Pro: Onkyo PR-SC5508,Bel Canto Pre-6, Sherwood 972
Amp: Outlaw 770
Source:Oppo 105, Ciunas DAC, SB Touch
post #112 of 5782 Old 03-07-2006, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollisoj View Post

I thought I saw a picture where the 600 was going to be black. Is this true?

Nope.

That was the Prototype of 50" 1080p Display (pic below).
The 60/600 Models will still have Silver/Black frame.

ATTENTION: The New Domain for BruZZi's Panasonic Plasma FAQ is bruzzi.ws
post #113 of 5782 Old 03-07-2006, 04:35 PM

Wow, that all black "teaser" panny looks simply fabulous. After being inundated with all those silver laden consumer panels by Panasonic of recent, it is refreshing to see an all black one even if only a proto-type. It is hard to believe that many manufacturers seem to only offer a deaf ear to those of us that genuinely perfer an all black panel. At least give us a choice! (On second thought would you please offer us a choice?)

Bruzzi, just wanted to say that I appreciate all the helpful info given and especially your site with all that comprehensive & historical panny info in one place.

There are also many other forum members too that unselfishly contribute tremendously in keeping us up to speed and a special thanks to ya'll too!
post #114 of 5782 Old 03-07-2006, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Bucket View Post

Bruzzi, just wanted to say that I appreciate all the helpful info given and especially your site with all that comprehensive & historical panny info in one place.

Glad to help.

There's more topics coming soon.

post #115 of 5782 Old 03-07-2006, 05:15 PM

Well just set mine up in my bedroom.

God it will be tough to get out of bed and go to work tommorrow ;-)
post #116 of 5782 Old 03-07-2006, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snidely View Post

They were in the process of setting up the 50px60u on display. No tag or anything was set on it. It doesn't look quite as ugly w. all that silver in person as it did in pictures.
...mike

That is the first I have heard of anyone saying they saw a new 50" panny. Are you sure it was the 50px60u?
post #117 of 5782 Old 03-07-2006, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruZZi View Post

Nope.

That was the Prototype of 50" 1080p Display (pic below).
The 60/600 Models will still have Silver/Black frame.

MY GOD THATS SEXY!
post #118 of 5782 Old 03-07-2006, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye7756 View Post

That is the first I have heard of anyone saying they saw a new 50" panny. Are you sure it was the 50px60u?

Now you having me doubting myself I probably won't be back til i pick up my 42" on Sat. (might not go til Sun.) It was def. a 50" on a silver stand and looked exactly like the pics here. It was on a shelf only a few inches off the floor, so easy to see the label on the back. You could call them at 510-420-0323. It was at the foot of an isle, not along the isle.

...mike
post #119 of 5782 Old 03-07-2006, 06:20 PM

BRUZZI

Who make this stand?

post #120 of 5782 Old 03-07-2006, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Sorry, I don't know.

It was taken from a Japanese Press Release. Maybe It's only sold overseas ?1?

It does look great.

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page