Official Panasonic PX60/600 Tweaking, Settings, Issues, Technical Thread! - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #271 of 7216 Old 04-15-2006, 07:30 PM
Member
 
USCTrojan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 129
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
When I spoke to the Panny Technician he said burn-in is a thing of the past except with extraordinary abuse. He said the white paper recommends settings at 50% or less and that is from the 0 to +30 scale = +15. Going in the negative range is a deemphasis beyond the zero. Picture must look really bad because I could barely watch at the zero settings. Once again I will state it - if it was so important, panasonic would have recommended this in their manual. They don't because it is not a big deal with regards to the settings. While the panny people endorsed the white paper they were VERY careful in the wording and used Videophiles recommend.... I currently work for a high tech company and trust me when I say MFGs are very conservative in their technical manuals it is because of the constant threat of a lawsuit. If the breakin period was that important they would have listed it in the manual for fear of the lawsuit alone.
USCTrojan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #272 of 7216 Old 04-15-2006, 10:20 PM
Senior Member
 
BigZAJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 432
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What is the depth of the TH-42PX60U and the TH-50PX60U when mounted on a wall bracket? I am looking at speakers that are about 4.8" deep when mounted and I would like the TV to be about flush with them. Thanks in advance.
BigZAJ is offline  
post #273 of 7216 Old 04-16-2006, 06:46 AM
Member
 
kenluvstv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
To Technofan:

Thanks for the info on connecting a PC to the 42PX60U. By the tim you posted, I had already bought one at Tweeter. Drove from DC to Wilmington, Delaware, to save the sales tax. Put a deposit on it Friday night and they held it for me -- the only one they had in stock.

Thanks to everyone else, too, for answers and comments on other folks' questions about break-in period settings. I did dial mine back, because "vivid" was too harsh for my liking. I have the DVD on 'cinema' and the cable box on 'standard' both with picture reduced below +15 (I forget where). Still looks good. Not sure at this point if I'm going to reset them after the break-in.

I am looking forward to getting an Avia disk and calibrating the color.

Question for those who have read this far:

Does anyone really strap the pedestal to the furniture top and tie the tv to the wall to keep it from falling over (as described and shown in the manual)?

Ken
kenluvstv is offline  
post #274 of 7216 Old 04-16-2006, 06:56 AM
Advanced Member
 
crippldogg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Yorktown, VA
Posts: 563
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Union0015 View Post

Correct, you can see the black bars on the side in any aspect mode, even zoom. (I don't get an option for "h-fill" when using the PS2). It's very strange. And very annoying having two inch-long black bars on either side of the image. There's gotta be a way to adjust this!

I think the h-fill is for HD signals. I just tried my PS2 for the first time yesterday on my 42 panny, no black bars or anything. Did you set the ps2 to 16:9? I think there was also a setting for full not sure about that one. I set mine to 16:9 and then set the game (the new Tomb Raider game) to widescreen which it had an option for. My PS2 is connected to my panny by composite not component so I don't know if that would have any effect with the aspect.

The Weekend Warriors
crippldogg is offline  
post #275 of 7216 Old 04-16-2006, 06:59 AM
Advanced Member
 
crippldogg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Yorktown, VA
Posts: 563
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 24
[quote=acampo]3 questions.
1) if there are black bars on top or sides. can this result in burn in?
2) station logos now appear transparent. is this an attempt to stop burn in? do i need to worry about them?
3) is it true i must turn everything down for the first 100 hours?[/QUOTE

Burn in is really something of the past, if you are careful and don't watch anything in torch mode you will be fine.


1) no, the phosphors are not being used in this area.
2) don't worry about them
3) it is good practice and recommended by the manufacturer. Look through this thread and fine some of the others settings.

The Weekend Warriors
crippldogg is offline  
post #276 of 7216 Old 04-16-2006, 08:14 AM
Member
 
Union0015's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 178
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by crippldogg View Post

I think the h-fill is for HD signals. I just tried my PS2 for the first time yesterday on my 42 panny, no black bars or anything. Did you set the ps2 to 16:9? I think there was also a setting for full not sure about that one. I set mine to 16:9 and then set the game (the new Tomb Raider game) to widescreen which it had an option for. My PS2 is connected to my panny by composite not component so I don't know if that would have any effect with the aspect.

Hi crippledogg...my PS2 (slimline) is set to 16:9, though I've tried setting it to 4:3 and Full and it goes the same thing. I even tried connected it through composite and S-video and no dice! Here are some pictures of what is going on:




Sorry for the crappy pictures, the only digicam I have is my camera phone. You can see that the image isn't being stretched completely to the black border of the TV inself. I've done some research and it seems like a lot of PS2/XBOX games experience this type of underscan on fixed panel displays since the consoles were designed primarily for CRTs. But if you're not experiencing a problem, that makes me question why I'm getting it!
Union0015 is offline  
post #277 of 7216 Old 04-16-2006, 09:39 AM
Advanced Member
 
crippldogg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Yorktown, VA
Posts: 563
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Union0015 View Post

Weird issue cropping up...

I'm find that when I boot up PlayStation2, I get vertical black bars on the right and left sides of the screen. My PS2 is set to 16:9 mode in the settings and connected via component via Component 1 on the back of the 37PX60U.

No matter what I do to play with the aspect ratio of the TV, I still get the vertical black bars. Even if I switch the TV to 4:3, I'll get my dark 4:3 bars and the black bars within that! It's like the PS2 or the TV isn't fully stretching the signal. Anybody know what's up? I wish there was a menu to adjust this.

Is it just on the startup menus or games as well?? I just checked mine and I do get the 1" or so vertical bars on the sides. I don't think it's adjustable. Haven't had any problems with the games though. I have the first model of ps2 by the way, so it is something that has carried through the years.

The Weekend Warriors
crippldogg is offline  
post #278 of 7216 Old 04-16-2006, 11:10 AM
Member
 
tnmcc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So as a posted yesterday, I'm having a "sparkles" problem with my HDMI hook-up -- particularly on HDTV feeds. Small, fluide whote sparkles appear that are obviously most noticeable when the TV is displaying dark colors.

The interesting thing: It's only showing up on my HDMI 1 Input, NOT my HDMI 2 input. Also, they show up when my Oppo DVD player is connected using their DVI-HDMI connection. Again, this is only on the first HDMI input, not the second.

Anyone have similar problems or thoughts? I can live with switching the cables for the times I watch DVDs because it's on a stand and it's not that difficult. I'm trying to avoid going to all component connection.
tnmcc is offline  
post #279 of 7216 Old 04-16-2006, 11:17 AM
Member
 
Union0015's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 178
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by crippldogg View Post

Is it just on the startup menus or games as well?? I just checked mine and I do get the 1" or so vertical bars on the sides. I don't think it's adjustable. Haven't had any problems with the games though. I have the first model of ps2 by the way, so it is something that has carried through the years.

It's on all games. Interestingly enough, the XBOX's dashboard maxes out to the entire width of the screen, but the games I've tried don't. Bizarre.

I think it has to do with the underscanning of the console itself. Hopefully PS3 will have some sort of upconversion for older PS2 games.
Union0015 is offline  
post #280 of 7216 Old 04-16-2006, 11:38 AM
Member
 
DNero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 124
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnmcc View Post

So as a posted yesterday, I'm having a "sparkles" problem with my HDMI hook-up -- particularly on HDTV feeds. Small, fluide whote sparkles appear that are obviously most noticeable when the TV is displaying dark colors.

The interesting thing: It's only showing up on my HDMI 1 Input, NOT my HDMI 2 input. Also, they show up when my Oppo DVD player is connected using their DVI-HDMI connection. Again, this is only on the first HDMI input, not the second.

Anyone have similar problems or thoughts? I can live with switching the cables for the times I watch DVDs because it's on a stand and it's not that difficult. I'm trying to avoid going to all component connection.

I noticed a similar thing as well. I haven't used HDMI 2 much (my DVD player), I've noticed it on HDMI 1, which is connected to my SA 8300HD cable box. Sometimes I see them, other times I don't. Last I noticed them it was during the show Survivor, and I noticed them another time during the same show. Could it be something with the broadcast perhaps?

I'm using 1080p-certified IXOS HDMI cables (expensive). I don't think it could be the cables.
DNero is offline  
post #281 of 7216 Old 04-16-2006, 12:13 PM
Senior Member
 
soncomet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 428
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Union0015 View Post

It's on all games. Interestingly enough, the XBOX's dashboard maxes out to the entire width of the screen, but the games I've tried don't. Bizarre.

I think it has to do with the underscanning of the console itself. Hopefully PS3 will have some sort of upconversion for older PS2 games.

I get this same problem on my Sony 32HS420, on my friend's Sony 40XBR800, and on my other friend's Pioneer 5060. I was horrified by it a couple of years back when I got my TV, but no one seemed to know what my problem was. I am guessing that most people just don't notice it. My friends had no clue it was happening until I pointed it out to them. And then they were shocked that it bothered me. I'd like to turn the overscan down on my TV from the standard settings, but I already get black bars on the left and right of all my PS2 games. I don't want to make them bigger.
soncomet is offline  
post #282 of 7216 Old 04-16-2006, 02:29 PM
Member
 
DNero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 124
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
[quote=crippldogg]
Quote:
Originally Posted by acampo View Post

3 questions.
1) if there are black bars on top or sides. can this result in burn in?
2) station logos now appear transparent. is this an attempt to stop burn in? do i need to worry about them?
3) is it true i must turn everything down for the first 100 hours?[/QUOTE

Burn in is really something of the past, if you are careful and don't watch anything in torch mode you will be fine.


1) no, the phosphors are not being used in this area.
2) don't worry about them
3) it is good practice and recommended by the manufacturer. Look through this thread and fine some of the others settings.

Concerning #1, I'm under the impression that since they are NOT being used in the black bar area, you won't get burn-in, per se, but with extended use and/or abuse, those areas can be brighter when you view full screen images. This because those pixels haven't aged like the others that were illuminated during use. Almost like negative burn-in.

My instruction manual clearly states that images such as 4:3 is a "typical still image" (due to the bars) that shouldn't be displayed for "long periods of time" due to the risk of after image.
DNero is offline  
post #283 of 7216 Old 04-16-2006, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member
 
BruZZi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 5,868
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNero View Post

Concerning #1, I'm under the impression that since they are NOT being used in the black bar area, you won't get burn-in, per se, but with extended use and/or abuse, those areas can be brighter when you view full screen images. This because those pixels haven't aged like the others that were illuminated during use. Almost like negative burn-in.

That's correct.

See an (exaggerated) example of what would happen if you watch 2.35:1 Movies straight for several months:




__________________________________
BruZZi's Panasonic Plasma FAQ bruzzi.ws
Lots of info for all Plasmas in general.
BruZZi is offline  
post #284 of 7216 Old 04-16-2006, 04:01 PM
Member
 
DNero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 124
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ooooo! That's nasty!! lol

Thanks BruZZi! That's like how I imagine it would look if abused. Exaggerated, sure, but it's a great example.
DNero is offline  
post #285 of 7216 Old 04-16-2006, 05:32 PM
Newbie
 
monkeymoo7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Newbie Question - I just purchased a 42PX60U.

I have spent about 6 to 7 hours reading all of the threads and it has been a huge help. I apologize in advance if I am asking a repeated question but I have read the threads and cannot find a direct answer.

One area that I am really confused on is the set-up calibration and set-up period. I have not even turned on the plasma yet as I wanted to make sure I have all of the information needed to correctly break in the TV (maybe being over cautious but it's a big investment so I want to make sure I do it right). Anyhow, what should my settings be for the break-in period. I have read that contrast should be set to 50%, but what is 50% on the numeric scale used by Panasonic? Do I need to adjust anything else other then the contrast or picture quality? Is it a few adjustments, i.e. sharpness, color, etc.?

What exactly are break in DVDs (i.e. AVAI, etc.)? Are they necessary? Where can I obtain one and how much do they cost?

Any suggested settings / calibration after the 100 hour break-in period?

Is there anything else I need to consider given that I am very new to the game and I am looking to preserve the plasma but get the most out of it?

Thank you in advance for your help!
monkeymoo7 is offline  
post #286 of 7216 Old 04-16-2006, 05:46 PM
Ein
Advanced Member
 
Ein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 813
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Don't worry about break-in DVD. I would just tune the TV to Discovery Channel when not watching and leave it on to accelerate the first 100 hours. It is one of the HD channels that doesn't have a static channel logo.
Ein is offline  
post #287 of 7216 Old 04-16-2006, 05:49 PM
Newbie
 
monkeymoo7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank you Ein. What calibrations do I need to change from the factory settings during the break-in period? What about post break-in period?

Thank you again for helping a new member out.
monkeymoo7 is offline  
post #288 of 7216 Old 04-16-2006, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
lipcrkr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: KPAX
Posts: 4,465
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How do you make the jpg's full screen? When you get to the multiple pic screen and highlite the pic (yellow frame around pic) how do you enlarge it full screen? When you click "OK" it goes back to menu. Apparently it doesn't work like a computer.
lipcrkr is offline  
post #289 of 7216 Old 04-16-2006, 07:19 PM
Advanced Member
 
RicheyPoor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Northwest New Jersey
Posts: 809
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lipcrkr View Post

How do you make the jpg's full screen? When you get to the multiple pic screen and highlite the pic (yellow frame around pic) how do you enlarge it full screen? When you click "OK" it goes back to menu. Apparently it doesn't work like a computer.

I've experimented with the 500U and the only way I could make my photos display full-screen was to size them to 1905x1068. I tried 1920x1080 but found it abended the program and returned to TV mode every time I tried to display this size (obviously a programming bug so it's possible they've fixed it in the 60/600U series). Multiples of 1905x1068 also work (3810x2136, etc) but the extra resolution is thrown away and it takes longer to load (it takes long enough now) so there's no advantage to it. Other seemingly logical resolutions like 1366x768, etc will not fill the screen. I don't think you can force other resolutions to fill the screen which makes this feature rather clumsy to use. On the other hand, the photos do look great on the big screen. I intend to try putting my photos on a DVD as my player handles jpeg's. That may be a better solution. Has anyone else gone that route?
RicheyPoor is offline  
post #290 of 7216 Old 04-16-2006, 08:00 PM
Member
 
Union0015's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 178
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeymoo7 View Post

One area that I am really confused on is the set-up calibration and set-up period. I have not even turned on the plasma yet as I wanted to make sure I have all of the information needed to correctly break in the TV (maybe being over cautious but it's a big investment so I want to make sure I do it right). Anyhow, what should my settings be for the break-in period. I have read that contrast should be set to 50%, but what is 50% on the numeric scale used by Panasonic? Do I need to adjust anything else other then the contrast or picture quality? Is it a few adjustments, i.e. sharpness, color, etc.?

This is how I'm breaking my TV in, using the Panasonic numerics:

Picture: -9
Brightness: -9
Sharpness: 0

I was running the set in the negative teens, but thanks to the advice on this forum, I found that's a little much. Enjoy the set!
Union0015 is offline  
post #291 of 7216 Old 04-16-2006, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member
 
lipcrkr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: KPAX
Posts: 4,465
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicheyPoor View Post

I've experimented with the 500U and the only way I could make my photos display full-screen was to size them to 1905x1068. I tried 1920x1080 but found it abended the program and returned to TV mode every time I tried to display this size (obviously a programming bug so it's possible they've fixed it in the 60/600U series). Multiples of 1905x1068 also work (3810x2136, etc) but the extra resolution is thrown away and it takes longer to load (it takes long enough now) so there's no advantage to it. Other seemingly logical resolutions like 1366x768, etc will not fill the screen. I don't think you can force other resolutions to fill the screen which makes this feature rather clumsy to use. On the other hand, the photos do look great on the big screen. I intend to try putting my photos on a DVD as my player handles jpeg's. That may be a better solution. Has anyone else gone that route?

What i meant was after the SD disk is put in the slot and displays thumbnails of the pics, the arrows on the remote allow you to highlite one of the pics but from that point i can't get the picture that's highlited to go full screen to begin the slide show. Believe it or not i am trying to find this out for Circuit City..lol. A couple of the salespeople that i know and myself were trying to do this for a customer. It was the customer's pics. The Philips plasma right next to it had no problem whatsoever.
lipcrkr is offline  
post #292 of 7216 Old 04-16-2006, 08:17 PM
Member
 
teamhawaii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Umm.. take a guess!
Posts: 183
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Overscan.. is it truly a problem with the 37PX60U?

Never, ever satisfied with what's out there..
teamhawaii is offline  
post #293 of 7216 Old 04-16-2006, 08:37 PM
Advanced Member
 
RicheyPoor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Northwest New Jersey
Posts: 809
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lipcrkr View Post

What i meant was after the SD disk is put in the slot and displays thumbnails of the pics, the arrows on the remote allow you to highlite one of the pics but from that point i can't get the picture that's highlited to go full screen to begin the slide show. Believe it or not i am trying to find this out for Circuit City..lol. A couple of the salespeople that i know and myself were trying to do this for a customer. It was the customer's pics. The Philips plasma right next to it had no problem whatsoever.

That's so easy I assume it must be different on the 60U... On the 500U you use the arrow buttons to navigate though the thumbnails (just as you stated for the 60U) and the Select button to display the full-size photo. If the 60U returned to TV when you pressed Select it might have been the resolution of the customer's photos being incompatible with the TV (much like the results I got when I tried to display 1920x1080 photos.
RicheyPoor is offline  
post #294 of 7216 Old 04-16-2006, 08:52 PM
Member
 
futurepannyowner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 95
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenluvstv View Post

To Technofan:

I am looking forward to getting an Avia disk and calibrating the color.

Question for those who have read this far:

Does anyone really strap the pedestal to the furniture top and tie the tv to the wall to keep it from falling over (as described and shown in the manual)?

Ken

I think the strap is overkill unless you have small children or live on the west coast where you get all those darn earthquakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acampo View Post

3 questions.
1) if there are black bars on top or sides. can this result in burn in?
2) station logos now appear transparent. is this an attempt to stop burn in? do i need to worry about them?
3) is it true i must turn everything down for the first 100 hours?

The transparent logos are nice. Burn-in is absolutely impossible from those.
The picture above gives a good idea of what a plasma might look like if you you only watched letterboxed programming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeymoo7 View Post

Thank you Ein. What calibrations do I need to change from the factory settings during the break-in period? What about post break-in period?

The tv defaults to vivid on all inputs out of the box. This should at least be changed to the standard setting, but you probably already took care of that. As far as post break-in, If you want the best possible picture you want to get the tv ISFed which will be in the ballpark of $400 but it is money well spent. If you don't do that many people use AVIA or DVE to adjust the settings on their tv.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamhawaii View Post

Overscan.. is it truly a problem with the 37PX60U?

I would like to adjust the overscan and I think you can in the service menu, but when I looked at it I had no idea what anything in the menu was so I just left it alone because its not worth messing with setting in the service menu.

I get the letterboxing with my first gen PS2 as well. It does not matter what game I play all of them don't fill the screen even after changing the setting to 16:9. I moved it back to one of my older CRTs. I hope this is fixed for the PS3. I am guessing it will with the HD resolution.
futurepannyowner is offline  
post #295 of 7216 Old 04-16-2006, 10:38 PM
Newbie
 
zbaileys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Long time lurker, new poster.

First and foremost, major kudos and a thousand attaboys for slow-dog and his #81 posting on unpacking a plasma. While his post was for a 50" Panny, we used it to unpack our 42px60u. His post saved us three hours of screaming toil, a broken marriage, and a destroyed plasma. Had our first plasma out of the box and running in about 20 minutes.

Also major thank you's for the wealth of advice posted in this forum. We are comfortable in the decision we made on our first plasma and look forward to the 58"/600 sometime in Dec. when we hope we can afford it.

Our Panasonic TH-42px60U is awesome even on an old coax with terrible 480i analog cable input. We do get a couple of HD stations on TimeWarner and they blow us away -- was up till 4 a.m. the first night watching kangaroos bounce around Australia.

Now we're trying to set up our new recorder, Panasonic DMR-ES45VS.
Basic set up is complete using a/v cables supplied with recorder.
Bought some component cables. Tried to set them up instead of S-Video (component is better than S-Video??) don't want to use HDMI because of limitations on recording subjects and lack of CC (and we don't have digital upgrade to our cable, yet).
The diagram in the manual for the recorder (on page 16) does not jive with the diagram for the plasma (page 33) using component cables. Do the component cables go from the recorder into the Component 1 input of the plasma, or the "Prog Out" connections of the plasma,
and do I need audio cables in addition to the A/V cables and component cables,
and why doesn't Panasonic online show a nice diagram connecting two of their newest and best products?

Should I even try to use component cables or stick with the basic set up??

Thanks for helping us choose the right set for now, how to unpack the thing, how to set it up, and how to burn it in. Now if we could just get the DVD recorder to work!

I am very hopeful all this will work.
zbaileys is offline  
post #296 of 7216 Old 04-17-2006, 05:07 AM
Advanced Member
 
crippldogg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Yorktown, VA
Posts: 563
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 24
zbaileys:

Go with the component cables, much better than an s-video hookup. I believe you should hookup the component cables from the recorder to component 1 on the plasma.

The Weekend Warriors
crippldogg is offline  
post #297 of 7216 Old 04-17-2006, 05:31 AM
 
optivity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 10,907
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbaileys View Post

Now we're trying to set up our new recorder, Panasonic DMR-ES45VS.
Basic set up is complete using a/v cables supplied with recorder.
Bought some component cables. Tried to set them up instead of S-Video (component is better than S-Video??) don't want to use HDMI because of limitations on recording subjects and lack of CC (and we don't have digital upgrade to our cable, yet).
The diagram in the manual for the recorder (on page 16) does not jive with the diagram for the plasma (page 33) using component cables. Do the component cables go from the recorder into the Component 1 input of the plasma, or the "Prog Out" connections of the plasma,
and do I need audio cables in addition to the A/V cables and component cables,
and why doesn't Panasonic online show a nice diagram connecting two of their newest and best products?

Should I even try to use component cables or stick with the basic set up??

480p looks better than 480i through a component connection, 480i content will look better with an S-Video connection.
optivity is offline  
post #298 of 7216 Old 04-17-2006, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member
 
dsmith901's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Posts: 8,966
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by optivity View Post

480p looks better than 480i through a component connection, 480i content will look better with an S-Video connection.

Of course S-video won't pass 480p, but based on my own experience I basically agree with this opinion.

"The truth is out there!"
dsmith901 is offline  
post #299 of 7216 Old 04-17-2006, 07:01 AM
Member
 
tnmcc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNero View Post

I noticed a similar thing as well. I haven't used HDMI 2 much (my DVD player), I've noticed it on HDMI 1, which is connected to my SA 8300HD cable box. Sometimes I see them, other times I don't. Last I noticed them it was during the show Survivor, and I noticed them another time during the same show. Could it be something with the broadcast perhaps?

I'm using 1080p-certified IXOS HDMI cables (expensive). I don't think it could be the cables.

I have the exact same box. I called TWC NYC and spoke to their "HDMI guy" who seemed to think it was a TV issue since it was only coming from HDMI 1. I notice it on certain broadcasts but not others -- I haven;t watched enough to figure out whether it's happening more on 720 or 1080. Let me know if you figure anything out.
tnmcc is offline  
post #300 of 7216 Old 04-17-2006, 07:12 AM
Newbie
 
Muncher17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by futurepannyowner View Post

I get the letterboxing with my first gen PS2 as well. It does not matter what game I play all of them don't fill the screen even after changing the setting to 16:9. I moved it back to one of my older CRTs. I hope this is fixed for the PS3. I am guessing it will with the HD resolution.

Just to confirm this, I believe that I have a first generation PS2 and I also see the letterboxing problem with the 2" black bars on either side of the signal. (even when setting PS2 to 16:9)

Is there a way to make these black bars lighter, or is this something being produced from the PS2? After playing some PS2 on my new Panasonic, I'm not sure I can go back to my 19" CRT, regardless of whether those black bars are there or not
Muncher17 is offline  
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Th 58px60u 58 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Th 42px600u 42 Plasma Hdtv Television , Panasonic Th50px600u 50 Inch Plasma Flat Panel Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off