Official Panasonic PX60/600 Tweaking, Settings, Issues, Technical Thread! - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 7216 Old 04-21-2006, 11:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok, I will probably get trashed for this stupid question, so here I go. I just got the new Panasonic TH-50PX60U (could only find it at CC) and Sony DVP-NS75H for my DVD player. I've read that it may be better to let the DVD player to send the output in the TV native resolution and let the TV do the upscale. So is that mean I can manually change the TV resolution to 480p, 720p, or 1080i ? I set the output setting on the Sony DVD player to auto instead of a specific resolution but I couldn't find the option in Panasonic menu to change the resolution. I'm using HDMI connection btw. Any help will be appreciated and please don't trash this newbie with his first HDTV

On the side note, I'm loving the Panasonic. It's way better than my old 27" CRT I can't wait until it's over at least the first 100 hours break in. I currently have all brightness, picture, etc. set at 0. It's still good but a little too dark for my preference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 7216 Old 04-21-2006, 03:22 PM

Does anyone with Comcast know when the next calibration signals come through? I think I read somewhere that INHD does this on Saturday morning but I don't remember where that was.
post #363 of 7216 Old 04-21-2006, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchwettyBalz View Post

They name it based on the art definitions, ie warm colors and cool colors. You are right, blue is a hotter temp than red, just like stars. However, I'm not sure which setting is closest to 6500K. DVE says choose the setting that gives the most natural greys, but that's kinda hard to do by eye. To me it seems like normal.

Art and Technology just don't mix do they.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigZAJ View Post

when i said little black bars, i meant 4 pixels top and bottom. The DVDS are all 16:9. It is displaying exactly 720 lines and not padding out to 728 if that makes sense. HD content over Cox does not have the two 4pixel height bars at the top and bottom. Only this player no matter what the DVD format is, even the menu system leaves the 4 pixel lines top and bottom. It is not a matter of the format of the disc.

Sorry about that, I guess it looks like an underscan issue similar to the one with my PS2.
post #364 of 7216 Old 04-21-2006, 04:31 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 38
Someone asked for details on experiences using a PX60 with an HTPC.

I have a 42px60u and a computer running Fedora Core 4 with kernel 2.6.16, Xorg 6.8.2, and nvidia drivers 8756 (geforce fx5200). I attached the pc using a DVI->HDMI cable.

Initially I was using an older version of the nvidia drivers. I tried googling for modelines for 1366x768, 1368x768, etc etc but none of them would work. Once I found out there was a new version of the nvidia drivers I upgraded and deleted all the custom modelines from my config. The computer then automatically recognized the display and chose a resolution of 1280x720.

Here is the Xorg logfile output:
Code:
(--) NVIDIA(0): Connected display device(s) on GeForce FX 5200 at PCI:2:0:0:
(--) NVIDIA(0):     Panasonic PANASONIC-TV (DFP-0)
(--) NVIDIA(0): Panasonic PANASONIC-TV (DFP-0): 135 MHz maximum pixel clock
(--) NVIDIA(0): Panasonic PANASONIC-TV (DFP-0): Internal Single Link TMDS
(II) NVIDIA(0): Virtual screen size determined to be 1280 x 720
(WW) NVIDIA(0): No size information available in DFP-0's EDID; cannot compute
(WW) NVIDIA(0):     DPI from EDID.
(==) NVIDIA(0): DPI set to (75, 75); computed from built-in default
I know it isnt pixel perfect mapping but my DVD's look fantastic on it and I'm not doing any web browsing or anything on the thing so I dont care.

One thing to note is that when i first hooked it up the TV had the HDMI input default to vivid mode and just the bootup sequence of some text scrolling on a black background caused image retention that lasted a few minutes.

Also, in case anyone is having trouble with mplayer and aspect ratios, you have to set: monitoraspect=16:9 in your ~/.mplayer/config file or mplayer will assume 4:3 aspect ratio.

Everything looks great. I have been most impressed with this tv when I watched the Appleseed (2004) movie and while playing Ghost Recon on xbox360.

(edit)I forgot to mention, there is overscan on the hdmi input but I think you can adjust it away using the program "nvidia-settings".(/edit)
Cheers.
post #365 of 7216 Old 04-21-2006, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by futurepannyowner View Post

Does anyone with Comcast know when the next calibration signals come through? I think I read somewhere that INHD does this on Saturday morning but I don't remember where that was.

I was going to ask the same thing about INHD. From what I remember from the post, they show the signals every Saturday at 7am EST. How long do they show them for? Is it only a couple of minutes? I'm guessing the best thing to do is record them and calibrate later.
post #366 of 7216 Old 04-21-2006, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muncher17 View Post

Just to confirm this, I believe that I have a first generation PS2 and I also see the letterboxing problem with the 2" black bars on either side of the signal. (even when setting PS2 to 16:9)

Is there a way to make these black bars lighter, or is this something being produced from the PS2? After playing some PS2 on my new Panasonic, I'm not sure I can go back to my 19" CRT, regardless of whether those black bars are there or not

I also have this problem with the PS2 and the 3760U. I have a v4 PS2, settings (16:9), and I've tried using composite and component video cables. I can adjust the screen position in certain games by moving the screen left or right, but there is no option to fill the screen. I thought I could have used the Zoom function in the TV setup menu, but it was greyed out. Is there a possibility for burn-in with the black-bars? I only play for about 1-2 hours at a time.
post #367 of 7216 Old 04-21-2006, 08:33 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by senkou View Post

I also have this problem with the PS2 and the 3760U. I have a v4 PS2, settings (16:9), and I've tried using composite and component video cables. I can adjust the screen position in certain games by moving the screen left or right, but there is no option to fill the screen. I thought I could have used the Zoom function in the TV setup menu, but it was greyed out. Is there a possibility for burn-in with the black-bars? I only play for about 1-2 hours at a time.

I wouldn't worry about it. I just played 6 hours straight of ghost recon on my 42" with all settings at "0" and "cinema" and I dont even have any image retention much less burn-in. My TV is probably 30hours old.
post #368 of 7216 Old 04-21-2006, 10:47 PM

Can anyone confirm that an upconverting DVD player will yield a better PQ on a 42PX60U than a standard progressive player? I've read conflicting things from a general perspective on why and why not upconverting players are better. How does the 60U's scaler compare to that of a reasonably priced upconverting player? I've read to avoid any players with Faroudja. Are there any upconverting players that work well with the 60U?
post #369 of 7216 Old 04-22-2006, 01:20 AM

Confirmed! I actually have two DVD players hooked up to my TH-42PX60U, my primary one I use is the Oppo OPDV971H with DVI-HDMI connection and my secondary one is a progressive scan Philips DVP-642 connected with component cable. The picture difference is like night and day, the Oppo upconverts to 720P and the picture is absolutely amazing where compared to the DVP-642 the picture has a lot of noise and looks terrible.

Thanks to Optivity for pointing out the Oppo player to me earlier on in this thread, I couldn't be any happier and the PQ couldn't be any better than it is now watching movies! Also the Oppo has the Faroudja chip; I can't seem to figure out why people say to avoid it .
post #370 of 7216 Old 04-22-2006, 06:14 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by flossy View Post

Confirmed! I actually have two DVD players hooked up to my TH-42PX60U, my primary one I use is the Oppo OPDV971H with DVI-HDMI connection and my secondary one is a progressive scan Philips DVP-642 connected with component cable. The picture difference is like night and day, the Oppo upconverts to 720P and the picture is absolutely amazing where compared to the DVP-642 the picture has a lot of noise and looks terrible.

Thanks to Optivity for pointing out the Oppo player to me earlier on in this thread, I couldn't be any happier and the PQ couldn't be any better than it is now watching movies! Also the Oppo has the Faroudja chip; I can't seem to figure out why people say to avoid it .

Dude... I'm blushing...

Many forum participants have reported a macroblocking issue using Faroudja-based DVD players, but I have not experienced this problem with my 50PX50U.

For $199 (w/DVI --> HDMI cable) the OPPO OPDV971H is one sweet DVD player... which can definitely tide one over until HD-DVD/Blu-Ray is ready for prime time.
post #371 of 7216 Old 04-22-2006, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

flossy, with your upconvert dvd player. (what do you have the HDMI resolution on the player set to).

should you set the dvd player resolution to 480p and have the panasonic doing to converting or set it to 720 or 1080
post #372 of 7216 Old 04-22-2006, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

can someone please post settings for the plasma post break-in period.
post #373 of 7216 Old 04-22-2006, 09:03 AM
V42

Quote:
Originally Posted by flossy View Post

So how does this prove anything more that the your Oppo is better than your Philips?

Mixing players and connectors proves little. Comparing PQ differences between 480p and upconverted 720P output from your Oppo (using DVI-HDMI since upconvert is only availble with this connector) would be the only meaningful test of upconverting quality, albeit only a single data point.
post #374 of 7216 Old 04-22-2006, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scherer326 View Post

flossy, with your upconvert dvd player. (what do you have the HDMI resolution on the player set to).

should you set the dvd player resolution to 480p and have the panasonic doing to converting or set it to 720 or 1080

The OPPO OPDV971H does not support 480p over component, this DVD player is targeted towards users who want to up convert 480i to 720p/1080i.
post #375 of 7216 Old 04-22-2006, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

PLEASE ADVISE:

I have the 42px60u and love the picture but for some reason on dark shows or movies (expecially HBO-HD), I see rainbow colors on occasion. What is causing this. Should I adjust something in the settings, i.e. picture?, brightness?, color?, tint?

Need help.
post #376 of 7216 Old 04-22-2006, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V42 View Post

So how does this prove anything more that the your Oppo is better than your Philips?

Mixing players and connectors proves little. Comparing PQ differences between 480p and upconverted 720P output from your Oppo (using DVI-HDMI since upconvert is only availble with this connector) would be the only meaningful test of upconverting quality, albeit only a single data point.

I'm not trying to prove anything, I'm simply stating what I'm seeing from the Oppo and Philips player that I have, I'm only trying to answer a members question he had. I am not trying to prove, review or compare anything; just simply stating what my eyes show me.
post #377 of 7216 Old 04-22-2006, 07:03 PM

Just got my 37 today. I have it hooked up via component cables to my Comcast SA8300. I have the STB outputting 1080i. I have a couple of questions hopefully someone can answer.

1) How do I stretch SD viewing without it also stretching HD?
2) Is there any way to make these settings permanent?
3) Should I have the STB do the stretching or the TV?

Thanks for your help in advance!
post #378 of 7216 Old 04-22-2006, 09:14 PM

Just got mine today too! So far I love it.. I traded my new Sammy LN-3251D LCD in for it. IMO the Panny has a better picture. The changes from color to color are better, SD content looks smoother, subtle colors are more noticeable, the set is bigger, I can stretch HD sources.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1234 View Post

I dont think you can.. now that the set allows you to stretch HD content, there is no way that I know of to have it differentiate.

Quote:

I havent found one... I notice if I use JUST mode to stretch an HD signal, turn off the TV, when I turn it back on, its no longer stretched. I bet it will stick if I kept it on an SD source.

Quote:

I like for the TV to do it.. only problem there is you need to use two remotes, the TV and the STB remotes. Plus, my STB does not do JUST mode, it does a STRETCH or similar to the H-Fill.

One minor deal that I've found is that I lose a smidge of screen view due to a slight vertical overscan. With the DVE template thingy, I see just before the 5% mark, which is still decent, but I guess the mark to shoot for is the 2.5% one or something.. not a big deal.

Never, ever satisfied with what's out there..
post #379 of 7216 Old 04-23-2006, 05:50 AM

teamhawaii

I have the Samsung also. I am also thinking about trading mine in for the panasonic.

Are you glad you traded it in, any regrets? Also is the SD picture better than the samsung? How does the HD pic compare with the Samsung?

Thanks.
post #380 of 7216 Old 04-23-2006, 06:32 AM

Quote:

Just got my 37 today. I have it hooked up via component cables to my Comcast SA8300. I have the STB outputting 1080i. I have a couple of questions hopefully someone can answer.

Just yesterday I set up my new 50" Panasonic. I found a setting in our Motorola STB to stretch 480p content to fill the screen. It only stretches 480p content, leaving everything else alone.

I also found a tip to watch SD content via a s-video cable. Turns out the STB has to convert SD content so it can be sent to the TV via component cable. Some STB's don't do such a good job of converting the content. SD looks better on my set from the s-video cable than it does from the component cable. Later this summer, when Comcast takes over from Adelphia, I hope to get a STB with HDMI output.
post #381 of 7216 Old 04-23-2006, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scherer326 View Post

PLEASE ADVISE:

I have the 42px60u and love the picture but for some reason on dark shows or movies (expecially HBO-HD), I see rainbow colors on occasion. What is causing this. Should I adjust something in the settings, i.e. picture?, brightness?, color?, tint?

Need help.

Do a search on "rainbows" and "plasma". There was an extensive thread about this subject last year. SOME people are sensitive to some type of display generated effect.

I have never seen it.
post #382 of 7216 Old 04-23-2006, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComputerGuy View Post

teamhawaii

I have the Samsung also. I am also thinking about trading mine in for the panasonic.

Are you glad you traded it in, any regrets? Also is the SD picture better than the samsung? How does the HD pic compare with the Samsung?

Thanks.

Yes, I'm glad. For me it was a $200 difference, however, I ended up with a bigger screen, and IMO a better picture. It seems to me the Panny has a more refined picture. Take for example, Sin City. On the Sammy, it looked awesome, dont get me wrong, however, it didnt pull out the subtle colors of the film. Sin City is not all black and white, it has subtle fleshy colors, yellow, red, etc. On the Sammy, those colors were not as evident as on the Panny. On the Panny, you can see more detail in the blacks, not to mention all the subtle colors. I compared them after using DVE on both sets.

The SD picture on the Panny looks smoother or less harsh than the Sammy. I dunno, could be just me. But this is also after doing the sharpness test. I like the Panny SD pic better.

The HD picture looked a little better on the Sammy. But truly not by much. What it came down to for me was which HD picture looked better from the distance I normally view. Using both 1080i and 720p sources, up close, the Sammy had better definition. However at my viewing distance, they both looked GREAT (about 8 feet). I could not choose one over the other. What got me though, at that distance, the Panny was bigger so it was an obvious choice

Hope that helps.

Never, ever satisfied with what's out there..
post #383 of 7216 Old 04-23-2006, 07:31 AM

teamhawaii, you mind posting your settings after using DVE? Thanks.
post #384 of 7216 Old 04-23-2006, 09:29 AM

Hi all,
I'm new to this forum and a new owner of a Panasonic TH-37PX60U.
Very pleased with the product but did notice a bit of whistling whenever the image shifts from dark to light. Has anyone noticed this and or has a fix. Also, any sound setting I should try that not washout dialogue. The set sounds great but difficult hearing the spoken content when music is in the background. Thanks
post #385 of 7216 Old 04-23-2006, 10:40 AM

teamhawaii

Thanks, that makes sense. So basically lower resolutions pictures are better on the Panasonic, since it is a lower resolution monitor than the Samsung. Also dark details are much better. Samsung wins for HD. Although over all Panasonic wins, since it is also bigger.
post #386 of 7216 Old 04-23-2006, 12:17 PM

I got a Panasonic TH-42PX60U and Toshiba SD-V594 (upconverting DVD with HDMI) this week. I'm getting my HDTV signal from a Motorola 6208. I've spent the last several days looking for recommendations on how to set all the resolutions on the different devices. I've been switching between 1080i and 760p on the 6208, and trying those and 480p on the DVD player. I'm really not sure I can see any difference at all between any of the settings.

I understand that most channels broadcast in 1080i except ABC and Fox. But the TV's native resolution is 760p, right? So, should the box be set to 1080i or 760p? With DVDs, if I use the upconverting functionality, should I also use 760p, or will the upconverting to 1080i from DVD player to TV doing its own rescaling back down look better? I would just like to get other people's opinions. I know its a pretty subjective thing, but any comments would be welcome.

Also, what do you guys look for when deciding one setting looks better than another?
post #387 of 7216 Old 04-23-2006, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfett View Post

I got a Panasonic TH-42PX60U and Toshiba SD-V594 (upconverting DVD with HDMI) this week. I'm getting my HDTV signal from a Motorola 6208. I've spent the last several days looking for recommendations on how to set all the resolutions on the different devices. I've been switching between 1080i and 760p on the 6208, and trying those and 480p on the DVD player. I'm really not sure I can see any difference at all between any of the settings.

I understand that most channels broadcast in 1080i except ABC and Fox. But the TV's native resolution is 760p, right? So, should the box be set to 1080i or 760p? With DVDs, if I use the upconverting functionality, should I also use 760p, or will the upconverting to 1080i from DVD player to TV doing its own rescaling back down look better? I would just like to get other people's opinions. I know its a pretty subjective thing, but any comments would be welcome.

Also, what do you guys look for when deciding one setting looks better than another?

0. Native resolution on your set is 720p (if I am not mistaken)

1. What looks better - you be the guide

2. For the STB I would pass all resolutions - 480i, 480p,720p,1080i to the Panny to scale and display (select pass through if possible).

3. DVD, I would choose 480p or 720p, you can also try 480i and 1080i to see if you get a better picture. I have found that 480p and 720p look the best.

4. I would not use the speakers for the Panny
post #388 of 7216 Old 04-23-2006, 01:42 PM

thanks a lot for the response! I really can't see a difference no matter what settings i choose
post #389 of 7216 Old 04-23-2006, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plazman View Post

0. Native resolution on your set is 720p (if I am not mistaken)

It's not a Pioneer..and it's a 42"!
720p? Come on now

My HT

In the words of English philosopher Edmund Burke, ÂAll that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.Â
post #390 of 7216 Old 04-23-2006, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elemental1 View Post

It's not a Pioneer..and it's a 42"!
720p? Come on now

-----------

Never owned a 42 inch plasma - went from 37 to 50. My DVD currently upconcerts to 720p and it looks great
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Th 58px60u 58 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Th 42px600u 42 Plasma Hdtv Television , Panasonic Th50px600u 50 Inch Plasma Flat Panel Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page