Official Panasonic PX60/600 Tweaking, Settings, Issues, Technical Thread! - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 04-28-2006, 03:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm still trying to figure out how many hours I have on my tv, proably only five or so. I want to watch a dVd though, but anything other than zoom mode gives me bars on top and bottom. Is that going to burn in if i watch a dvd that way? I know plasmas are great for movies, but do you all watch in zoom mode? or will two hours with the bars not do anything at all?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2006, 07:24 PM

Wierd issue with My 42PX60U HDMI Input 1:

I unplugged my TV while away this week and when I plugged it back in and fired up my digital cable through my HDMI 1, the screen kept flashing like it was trying to establish a signal. I decided to power the tv off and switch to HDMI 2 to see if it fixed the issue. It did, the picture was normal.

Now when I go back to HDMI 1 and swap the cable, I can't get a picture, just snow. I noticed that when I unpluged the TV, I did get the setup screen again. Did I miss a setting? I'm kinda tired here, what am I missing?

Samsung PN64D7000
Onkyo 706 THX Reciever
Sony PS3
Paradigm Monitor Series Speakers
M&K THX Subwoofer
Old 04-28-2006, 08:21 PM

its amazing what happens when you take the time to search. I found my own answer to finding how many hours i've used the tv. Still searching for if black bars during a dvd would hurt during break in or not, if anyone knows shout out the answer please
Old 04-28-2006, 08:22 PM

CNET just posted a review of the TH-42PX60U today. They loved it except for the floating blacks problem. They awarded it a 7.5, only the Pioneers and Panny commercial models get a higher rating.

http://reviews.cnet.com/Panasonic_TH...g=links;review
Old 04-29-2006, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wreckedpig View Post

After owning my 50PX60U for 2 days I am sad to say that I may have been sold a lemon. Tonight the tv refused to power on. I press the power button on the tv, the red light lights up, I hear a clicking sound and then it repeats. Redlight, clicking, redlight off, redlight on, clicking, repeat. It keeps doing this cycle until I unplug it. Panasonics helpline is closed so until the morning I am stuck. Has anything like this happened to anyone else?

here is a little update on my situation...

Last night 10pm the tv refused to turn on. I pressed the power button, the red light came on, tv made a clicking sound, redlight went off, repeat. I unplugged the tv and let it sit for 10 minutes and tried again. Same thing. I unplugged it and let it sit for an hour.

11pm. Plug tv back in, press power, tv starts with no problems. I turned it off and back on. So far so good. I leave the tv on while I do some work on my computer.

12:30am. Tv shuts off for no reason whatsoever. I unplug the tv.

1:00am. Plug tv back in. Powers up with no problems. Watch tv until 4am. I assume all is well.

The next day...

12pm. I planned on calling Panansonic but the tv turned on and off several times with no problems. I think I had the tv running non stop for 4 hours.

8pm. Tv starts up with no problems.

9pm. TV shuts off for no reason again. Unpluged it

11pm. Plug TV back in. Starts with no problems. Works perfectly untill....

1:30pm. TV shuts off again for no reason. I unplugged it again and now I am here writing this message.

Does anyone have any idea of what could be causing this? It is really starting to drive me crazy. I really wish these things could have gone wrong when Panasonics help line is open. I really really hope I didn't get a TV with a bad power supply or something like that. I really love the TV, when it is actually working that is.

EDIT: Plugged back in 2am running fine ever since. Calling Panasonic in the morning.
Old 04-29-2006, 12:09 AM

All my dvds still display bars. Specifically, the top gun dvd, the 20th anniversary one, is specifically 16:9. I still get bars on it. My dvd player is an old toshiba, and its set to 16:9 but no options for 1080i or anything, its like five years old. Its hooked up through component. Is there something I need to do on the Panny itself? its the 60u.
Old 04-29-2006, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by croikee View Post

All my dvds still display bars. Specifically, the top gun dvd, the 20th anniversary one, is specifically 16:9. I still get bars on it. My dvd player is an old toshiba, and its set to 16:9 but no options for 1080i or anything, its like five years old. Its hooked up through component. Is there something I need to do on the Panny itself? its the 60u.

that's because the movie itself was shot in a ratio other than 1.85:1. only movies with that ratio will have no black bars
Old 04-29-2006, 04:36 AM

even IF the dvd says 16:9 on the back?
Old 04-29-2006, 05:17 AM

Quote:

its amazing what happens when you take the time to search. I found my own answer to finding how many hours i've used the tv. Still searching for if black bars during a dvd would hurt during break in or not, if anyone knows shout out the answer please

Searching can certainly be a amazing tool

Watching a DVD in FULL mode will not hurt your TV. Just don't watch *only* that. Mix things up a bit, expecially during "break-in". If you want to watch a DVD, watch the DVD...just watch some TV in JUST mode along with your DVDs.

Burn-in is not a myth but, from what I've read/heard, it's kinda tough these days. Mix things up with what you watch (and more importantly *how* you watch it) and you probably won't have any problems.

-mark

ps. congrats on the new set!
Old 04-29-2006, 09:30 AM
V42

Quote:
Originally Posted by wreckedpig View Post

I really really hope I didn't get a TV with a bad power supply or something like that.

You think?

Maybe some magic incantations would help. Otherwise it's time to start dealing with reality and set up a repair call.
Old 04-29-2006, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

even IF the dvd says 16:9 on the back?

Yes.
Now go buy a Panasonic S97 DvD player and hook it up to your 60u with HDMI. Set it up to output 1080i and prepare to be glued to the TV.
The S97 comes with a HDMI cable, BTW.

My HT

In the words of English philosopher Edmund Burke, ÂAll that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.Â
Old 04-29-2006, 11:24 AM

Elemental1 I don't appreciate your response. I just bought a TV now you are tempting me to buy a DVD player....hold on...I hear a strange voice from the electronics store calling my name....

Seriously though, if I get that dvd player or any with HDMI and could set the resolution, would it then fill the screen too? Still trying to figure out all this resolutoin stuff etc.
Old 04-29-2006, 02:03 PM

I'm on a posting roll. Not good. What is the general thought about calibrating after 100 hours? Panasonic did a 'myth buster' type deal on plasmas and they lay out in good detail the break in process. They say set all settings to 50% that first 1,000 hours actually. I took the standard settings which had everything at zero except picture (+20) and sharpness (+15) and made picture (+3) and sharpness (0).

Now, I've looked at a bunch of postings on settings via calibration cds and most of the settings are still at or around 50% of the factory settings. So, think its a good deal to go ahead at 100 hours and put in some calibration settings? or wait?
Old 04-29-2006, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbrillo View Post

Wierd issue with My 42PX60U HDMI Input 1:

I unplugged my TV while away this week and when I plugged it back in and fired up my digital cable through my HDMI 1, the screen kept flashing like it was trying to establish a signal. I decided to power the tv off and switch to HDMI 2 to see if it fixed the issue. It did, the picture was normal.

Now when I go back to HDMI 1 and swap the cable, I can't get a picture, just snow. I noticed that when I unpluged the TV, I did get the setup screen again. Did I miss a setting? I'm kinda tired here, what am I missing?

Ok, I'm confused, I plugged in a HDMI DVD player to HDMI 1 and it works fine, no issues at all.

I plugged the cable back in to HDMI 1 and it works fine now.

I guess I'll just watch it and make sure it doesn't act up again.

Samsung PN64D7000
Onkyo 706 THX Reciever
Sony PS3
Paradigm Monitor Series Speakers
M&K THX Subwoofer
Old 04-29-2006, 04:06 PM

Quote:

Seriously though, if I get that dvd player or any with HDMI and could set the resolution, would it then fill the screen too? Still trying to figure out all this resolutoin stuff etc.

Croikee. Don't think of movies in terms of "filling the screen" or not. Movies are created in certain aspect ratios. Certain movies are made in the rectangular shape that corresponds to the aspect ratio 1.85:1, others are 2.35:1, some are 1.66:1 and standard TV and older movies (ie Casablanca) are closer to 1.33:1.

NOW, your television is 1.78:1. That is very close to 1.85:1 but not exact. You may see some slight black bars or you may not because it's so close. BUT all other aspect ratios that are not as close or exactly 1.78:1 you will see some unused space on your TV because the shape of the image is not the same shape exactly as your screen. This space where the image doesn't fit exactly will be filled with bars. These bars make sure that the shape and the integrity of the image is protected and is displayed as it was intended by the director of the art that you are enjoying.

The "16:9" on the DVD package that has you confused has to do with anamorphic encoding and if you're interested you should run a search on the subject. It maximizes the resolution and fills your screen as much as it can without altering the shape of the image. Enjoy your television.
Old 04-29-2006, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
A 16:9 title on a DVD just means it using anamorphic formatting for a 16:9 frame. But the actual content of the movie can be a wider aspect ratio (usually in very small print on the back of the DVD box) like the common 2.35:1 aspect ratio of many action movies - black bars fill the rest of the 16:9 frame. This is in contrast to the older non-anamorphic DVD titles that used a fixed 4:3 frame and needed even bigger black bars for the same 2.35:1 movie aspect ratio. I'd say at least 1/2 of DVD widescreen movie titles have black bars as part of the 16:9 title frame and are 2.35:1 or larger aspect ratio. Check out some of the super-wide classic titles like Ben Hur, almost 3.0:1 AR for even more black bars! Movies come in a variety of aspect ratios while the DVD frame is fixed to either 4:3 or 16:9, so black bars are a necessity in many cases regardless of the DVD title frame size.
Old 04-29-2006, 05:48 PM

Just received my 37" today, and I can't get closed caption on the component input from a Scientific Atlanta 4200HD cable box. I am getting cc via s-video. Did you resolve your problem?

Mike
Old 04-29-2006, 08:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elemental1 View Post

Yes.
Now go buy a Panasonic S97 DvD player and hook it up to your 60u with HDMI. Set it up to output 1080i and prepare to be glued to the TV.
The S97 comes with a HDMI cable, BTW.

I hooked my new 60u up to my new S97 DVD Player just today! Looks awesome! But, I gotta say after much experimentation, I personally found the 720p better looking than the 1080i... I thought the 1080i introduced just a tad of graniness, ymmv.

bradesp
Old 04-29-2006, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scherer326 View Post

pra3t0r , is your dvd settings on the tv in vivid, make sure that it is in standard

Also, pra3tor, the "Picture" setting is for some TV's, including Panasonic, what others more descriptively call "Contrast" so that is the setting that should be turned down to improve the PQ based on what you have said. Check out some of the posts with settings people have dialed in and see if any of those improve your PQ and your viewing experience. Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Union0015 View Post

I'm not experiencing this. What are your settings, how are your components hooked up, etc? My image looks very vivid and three-dimensional. To adjust contrast, go into the menu, click the first option, and adjust Picture. Panasonic calls "contrast" picture.

Thanks for the tips, guys. That was the problem. It's too bad Vivid mode can't be adjusted more. If it wasn't for the edge sharpening, high contrast, and reduced color palatte... it would display a great picture.

My picture looks very nice now in Standard settings.

Just watched "Good Fellas" and it looked great.
Old 04-29-2006, 10:37 PM

whats the effect of calibrating BEFORE the 100hr break in point?? and in calibrating, I mean using DVE, not a professional..

Never, ever satisfied with what's out there..
Old 04-30-2006, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

which is a better disc to do the calibration with yourself, DVE or AVIA?
Old 04-30-2006, 07:52 AM

Has anyone tried a black level fix on the 42px60u? I got rid of two Hitachis due to this problem and am horrified to find it on my beloved panasonic.

Suggestions anyone?
Old 04-30-2006, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamhawaii View Post

whats the effect of calibrating BEFORE the 100hr break in point?? and in calibrating, I mean using DVE, not a professional..

While the set is breaking in, the picture shifts more than it does than later in its lifespan. You can calibrate it, but the picture will shift and need to be recalibrated. If you don't mind the extra work, go ahead and calibrate.
Old 04-30-2006, 09:13 PM

Hi guys, just bought the 42px60U (so exited) have to waite till friday for delivery though. Have some questions, so here we go...at this time I only have an older model DVD player that outputs 480i over component (no progressive scan) will I get a decent picture from DVD or would i benefit from an progressive scan player? What about upscaling players? If I would buy a new DVD with HDMI out could I sent the picture direct to the panny, and sound to my pio receiver?.....I know lots of questions.....thanks in advance.
Old 04-30-2006, 09:53 PM

It depends more on the quality of the DVD player you have. Even with an upconverting DVD player the tv has to convert the video from either 720p or 1080i to 1024x768p anyway. I would say you probably won't see the difference in the picture if you spend $200 on a new DVD player that does the same job as your tv. The difference will be noticeable with a $2,000 player that has high quality video processing in it. I don't know which DVD player you have now, but I think you will know when you get your tv and watch a movie if you want to put money into it. A quality progressive scan player could give you improvement you are looking for over a mediocre 480i player for a decent price.
Old 05-01-2006, 12:10 AM

Hi Everyone,

I'm planning on getting the 37" 60u, just saw it in a store and it looked great. The problem I'm having is how to mount the screen and I'd appreciate any help. Below is a photo of my wall unit with current 27" CRT:

I want to keep this wall unit, and mount the 37" in the place where the current set is, not IN the space but on the front of the unit. It would sit in front of the center unit and overlap a bit on the two side units.

Some choices I've thought of are a cantilever mount on the back wall, but I'm not sure I have the stud or two studs needed for that. Another choice would be bolting a piece of wood in the hole and mounting a wall mount on that. There is a shelf on the middle unit that overlaps 4", and the screen could rest there with some other chaining or wiring to the wall units to distribute weight. Of course, attention needs to be paid that the whole thing doesn't topple over, but the TH37PX60 is only 57 lbs., with some added weight for the mounting hardware and wood.

Again, I'd appreciate any ideas as long as you don't recommend throwing out the wall unit and getting a 50" screen (as others have on Tivo forum).

Thanks in advance...

Sam, NYC
Old 05-01-2006, 12:26 AM

FWIW, I find that 1080i from my Moto HD cable box give a finer resolution picture with a touch of added noise, while the 720P output is noise free but slightly more dull.

I compared the two during the Masters golf broadcast a few weeks back. I ended up keeping the 1080i setting for the improved clarity. Let me add, watching the Masters at Augusta in HD was stunning on the 60u!
Old 05-01-2006, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugwump88 View Post

FWIW, I find that 1080i from my Moto HD cable box give a finer resolution picture with a touch of added noise, while the 720P output is noise free but slightly more dull.

I compared the two during the Masters golf broadcast a few weeks back. I ended up keeping the 1080i setting for the improved clarity. Let me add, watching the Masters at August in HD was stunning on the 60u!

Interesting that the 60u series seems to have issues with noise @ 1080i. My 500u does not and 1080i is just amazing. I put on Jurassic Park (anamorphic 16:9 @ 1.85:1) newer trilogy release and not only did it fill the screen..it was awesome quality. I sure hope DvD's keep this up over the older releases.

My HT

In the words of English philosopher Edmund Burke, ÂAll that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.Â
Old 05-01-2006, 11:01 AM

you all have helped me a ton understand resolution and dvds, I appreciate it. ONe more question (maybe): how do i know if my tv is upscaling dvds? I was told that through component, even if i don't have progressive scan (my dvd player is a toshiba from 2000) that my tv should upscale the picture.

When I hit 'recall' on the remote during hd it says the resolution and aspect ratio such as 1080i etc. When i watch dvds and hit recal it says 480i. Does that mean it isn't upscaling? Or it is and is not mentioning it? Or, well there could be a lot of options. Thanks for the help.
Old 05-01-2006, 12:21 PM

Elemental1 -- The slightly greater noise with 1080i was from a cable broadcast -- no doubt CBS or the cable provider, or both, compress the image a bit too much. But it still looked slightly sharper than 720P.

I'm sure DVDs can be compressed in a less-than-ideal fashion as well.

Tags
Panasonic Th 58px60u 58 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Th 42px600u 42 Plasma Hdtv Television , Panasonic Th50px600u 50 Inch Plasma Flat Panel Hdtv