Official Panasonic PX60/600 Tweaking, Settings, Issues, Technical Thread! - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 7216 Old 05-11-2006, 04:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ininja View Post

okay, I've done alot of research but was unable to find anything on it. I read post about noises comming from the 60U but it not what I've experience. I notice this noise and kept the tv for about 25 days and went back for an exchange. They send me another brand new one but I keep still hearing the noise. Any comment on this is greatly appreciated.

The noise I hear is like a poping sound comming from the tv every 15-20 minutes or so. Even when the tv is off. It's kind of like when the tv first turn on. My tv is sitting on a wooden stand and is connected to a belkin pf30. Please let me know if any of you experience this noise. I can hear this sound acros the room (about 12-15 feet).

Do you see dead people too? Kidding, I wonder if it has something to do with a internal timer or clock... are you setting your clock? Try a different power supply source?

Some of the posts that Ive seen about weird buzzing and popping... I guess I'm one of the lucky ones... knock on wood!

Some folks just choose alternate realities, and there's nothing that can be put into words here that will co·ax them out of that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 7216 Old 05-11-2006, 04:54 PM

Hi all - I'm a newbie on the posting, but do tons of reviewing on this stuff before buying -

I've had the new Panny Th-50PX60U for about a month now, and I've been tweaking it for quite some time - incredible TV. I've got the 100 plus hours on it that you need for break in, but I am guilty of not using the proper DVD to do so.

Tough to say if it made any difference, but I agree with Elemental 1 I've found that anything above 10 on picture setting starts to pound the eyes after about an hour or so. Vivid out of the box is just like staring at the sun.

I've settled on (for now):

Standard
Picture +10
Brightness +5
Color 0
Tint 0
Sharpness -5
Color Temp - Normal

Even this seems a tad bright at times.

I've also noticed the "clay face" - not dramatic as some have seen, but it tends to be more pronouced on the live shows and almost non-existent on regular programming (HD through Direct TV), and I am wondering if it might just be all the gobs of make-up used on the Leno's and Letterman's of the world coming through in brilliant HD!

The one thing that is constant is different taste - what looks good to one may not to another. There is also ambient light in the room, etc. etc. etc.

In reality, it is unlikely that there is an optimal setting for everyone - it is really all what looks best to you - eye of the beholder and all that
post #633 of 7216 Old 05-11-2006, 05:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artwood View Post

What does the Color Management mode do to greens and blues?

How much effect will it have on tint if you use it? Can it be and also should it be used with Cinema, Standard, and Vivid?

It CAN BE used in any mode but SHOULDN'T BE used at all. Seriously, what it does is shift part of the yellow spectrum toward green. I believe its intended effect is to make grass look greener (I need this for my front lawn, not my TV) to increase the WoW factor during football, baseball, golf, etc. That might be its intended function but what it does is make grass and foliage look unnatural while turning certain shades of yellow to green. The yellow business is very unpredictable and sudden in its effect. I.E... a three dimensional yellow object normally exhibits different shades of yellow due to shadows, etc. With the Color Mgt on some of these areas may turn completely green while others remain just as yellow as with it off. I find Panasonic's greens to be just fine with the Color Mgt off, I can't imagine why anyone would want it on. All I can think of is they must have a lot of sick looking grass in Japan.
post #634 of 7216 Old 05-11-2006, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markymark73 View Post

Post #158 might be applicable for your first question:
"You need to be in 4:3 mode to change side bar color."

Thanks, that works for that option. I also figured out that you can only change the audio options of the HDMI input that you are currently on, so that's why I had those grayed out. So at this point, I'm more confident that every option is accesible with some combination of aspect ratio/input.
post #635 of 7216 Old 05-11-2006, 06:04 PM

Hi,

Any one know, is there a white bar to clear image retention? I could not find it.

How do you keep the aspect ratio to JUST always? It changes to FULL when tv is swhtched off. it's pain to change each time!

Thanks.
post #636 of 7216 Old 05-11-2006, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ininja View Post

okay, I've done alot of research but was unable to find anything on it. I read post about noises comming from the 60U but it not what I've experience. I notice this noise and kept the tv for about 25 days and went back for an exchange. They send me another brand new one but I keep still hearing the noise. Any comment on this is greatly appreciated.

The noise I hear is like a poping sound comming from the tv every 15-20 minutes or so. Even when the tv is off. It's kind of like when the tv first turn on. My tv is sitting on a wooden stand and is connected to a belkin pf30. Please let me know if any of you experience this noise. I can hear this sound acros the room (about 12-15 feet).

Are you sure it's not coming from your cable or dish? I get any annoying popping sound from my 50px60u when watching MTV. I know the popping is coming from the cable because I only get it on MTV. Do you get the same popping when watching a DVD?
post #637 of 7216 Old 05-11-2006, 08:20 PM

I went throught the 100+ hour breakin with evangelos' svcd. Then I used the THX calibration test on Pirates of the Caribean DVD. I ordered the cheap blue glasses from the thx.com website - received them in 4 days.

These are the settings I came up with:

Standard
Picture +16
Brightness +4
Color 0
Tint -6
Sharpness +5
Color Temp - Normal

I have to say I'm not too precise on the sharpness. This is one parameter that I saw similar picture over fairly broad range. I may play with this some more.
post #638 of 7216 Old 05-12-2006, 03:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pors968 View Post

Hi,

How do you keep the aspect ratio to JUST always? It changes to FULL when tv is swhtched off. it's pain to change each time!

Thanks.

I agree, I am also finding that even changing channels from a 1080i non hdtv broadcast to a 480i standard channel the set also reverts back to full...
post #639 of 7216 Old 05-12-2006, 03:28 AM

Just for the record - my 37" P60U does not suffer from any of the following:

pops
clicks
noise
white line at top of display
rainbow
image retention
dead pixels

Nor does it switch to FULL mode anytime I change channels from a 1080i to a 480i or anything like that.

Just felt I needed to state that. Seeing far too many problems being reported, not enough praise. This is the finest TV I have ever owned, and I am nothing but pleased with every aspect of it so far. I have about 200 hours on it at present.

Normally in my house its just my wife and me, and we've both become accustomed to the incredible picture quality, but she went to her folk's over the weekend and when she returned she told me that I had ruined her for watching TV, as her parents' set was horrible but she never noticed before. The other night my Mom was at my house watching "Idol" and she literally could not believe the PQ of the OTA broadcast. She absolutely did not understand how something so vivid and clear could come from the same TV tower she stopped receiving broadcasts from a dozen years ago in favor of cable. The picture had so much depth it looked like Ryan was a cutout placed in front of the TV screen. Throughout the entire broadcast she kept on commenting about the PQ - when my _Mom_ goes bananas over a TV - my _MOM_ - thats a good TV! I love this TV.
post #640 of 7216 Old 05-12-2006, 04:15 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwingding View Post

pops
clicks
noise
rainbow
image retention
dead pixels

Nor does it switch to FULL mode anytime I change channels from a 1080i to a 480i or anything like that.

Nor does my 50PX50U
post #641 of 7216 Old 05-12-2006, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike I View Post

I agree, I am also finding that even changing channels from a 1080i non hdtv broadcast to a 480i standard channel the set also reverts back to full...

It remembers aspects for each signal. If you left it on full last time you were getting a 480i signal then it will revert back to that whenever it gets a 480i signal.
post #642 of 7216 Old 05-12-2006, 06:24 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks Nathan
post #643 of 7216 Old 05-12-2006, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 228
I have a TH-50PX60U on order and have a quick question...what's the incidence of dead/stuck pixels on the 60/600 series of sets? I haven't seen it mentioned so I figure it's a pretty rare occurence. One thing that drew me to plasma was my assumption that dead pixels weren't as likely as with LCD TVs...I hope I was right.
post #644 of 7216 Old 05-12-2006, 07:00 AM
adm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwa View Post

I have a TH-50PX60U on order and have a quick question...what's the incidence of dead/stuck pixels on the 60/600 series of sets? I haven't seen it mentioned so I figure it's a pretty rare occurence.

Guess it must be pretty rare on the 600s since (unless some one has already snagged one and didnot post it) we are still awaiting the release of those very much awaited 600s.

Hopefully, I will not have put the evil eye onto my own order of a 50px600 in the pipeline. But in all candor, I have not noticed many listings of dead/stuck pixels on the threads of late. Possibly one or two, but nothing that started to shake a quality control stick at.
post #645 of 7216 Old 05-12-2006, 08:38 AM

====================================================

pops
clicks
noise
rainbow
image retention
dead pixels

============================================================

I have the 42 and I agree 100%
zero problems
astounding picture quality
bravo!
jd
post #646 of 7216 Old 05-12-2006, 09:16 AM
Advanced Member

Another forum member and I have been having a PM discussion regarding th resolution of this plasma. He pointed out "1024x768 pixels are 4:3 in ratio, not 16:9. Thus, this unit actually has rectangular, rather than square pixels. No matter what format is fed to it, it will rescale to 1024x768." Apparently most 720p TVs, which have a 1024x720 resolution have square pixels.

Can anyone comment on why Panasonic chose to go this route and what it means for viewing with various video sources?

-Eric
post #647 of 7216 Old 05-12-2006, 10:50 AM

Well, thanks for all the reply. I guess I'll just ignore the poping noise along with the dead people. hehe.
post #648 of 7216 Old 05-12-2006, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

AVIA has me at +8 for brightness (black level). It was the easiest of the settings to adjust. I am calibrating with dark levels @ light first.
Simply amazing how precise the plasmas are compared to older tech.
I am working on the other settings.....

My HT

In the words of English philosopher Edmund Burke, ÂAll that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.Â
post #649 of 7216 Old 05-12-2006, 04:27 PM

TH-42PX60U
Standard
Picture +12
Brightness +7
Color -4
Tint -6
Sharpness +1
Color temp Normal
Black level Light
Avia test DVD
I have found (for me) that setting the black level with Avia tends to push it to the light side. At times when the screen should be black, like the credits, the screen looks too grey. I have set my black level back to Dark.
post #650 of 7216 Old 05-12-2006, 09:30 PM
V42

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJRothman View Post

Apparently most 720p TVs, which have a 1024x720 resolution have square pixels.

Can anyone comment on why Panasonic chose to go this route and what it means for viewing with various video sources?

-Eric

I'll bet you didn't like math in High School, did you?

If the resolution is 1024x720 and the pixels are square, the aspect ration of the image would be 4.27:3 (as in 1024/240 x 720/240). Likewise all 16:9 aspect ratio displays using only 1024x720 pixels have rectangular pixels. This in not unique to Panasonic PDP's.
post #651 of 7216 Old 05-13-2006, 07:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V42 View Post

I'll bet you didn't like math in High School, did you?

If the resolution is 1024x720 and the pixels are square, the aspect ration of the image would be 4.27:3 (as in 1024/240 x 720/240). Likewise all 16:9 aspect ratio displays using only 1024x720 pixels have rectangular pixels. This in not unique to Panasonic PDP's.

I hated math in High School. That's why I went to law school.
post #652 of 7216 Old 05-13-2006, 09:29 AM

I know aspect ratios and black bars have been discussed before, but here I go again. I got my 50PX60U hooked up last night and it looks great. I watched an episode of The Sopranos, shown in letterbox format, and when viewing in Zoom mode there were no black bars on the top and bottom of the screen.

Then I put in the DVD of the newest Harry Potter movie and no matter what mode I selected I could not get rid of the black bars. Zoom mode gave me the least amount of black bars, about 3 inches on the top and 3 inches on the bottom. Is there a way to lessen the amount of bars showing?
post #653 of 7216 Old 05-13-2006, 09:44 AM

I have the new Panny 50" 60U and want to send a word of caution to everyone using a 360. I've got about 100 hours on the set, and have been using the 360 since about the 25 hour mark.

With all the settings turned down considerably +5 picture and +5 brightness - I began by been playing Perfect Dark for a few hours here and there. No image retention, so I assumed things would be just fine.

Well, I started playing Kameo and one night after playing for about 2 hours or so (I've limited all sessions to 2 hours max) I turned off the game to watch Lost. While inbetween signals it looked as though the score counter and the trigger buttons on each side were definitely retained in the sets image.

I turned off all signals to the TV but left the TV on and sure enough the life bar, score, trigger buttons, everything that was a static image throughout gameplay was very evident on the display. When I sent a signal back to the TV you could not see any change in the TV image from normal viewing distance, but up close you could definitely see the image retention - not dramatic, but there.

I watched TV for abour 2 hours thinking it might clean up the retention. I then turned off all signals again but left the TV on - much to my chagrin the IR was still visable. Lighter - but there nonetheless.

I checked it again in the morning, and it seemed to be gone. That night I turned down the settings to 0 on everything, played for about 20 minutes as a test, but the IR was back and stayed there all night again as described above. This time it was not gone in the morning either. I had my wife watch as much TV as she could that day, and the IR was gone by the time I got home. However, the psychological damage has been done and I am far from confident that this will not lead to permanent damage if I continue to use the 360 on it.

I am seriously bummed because the image on the Panny with the 360 is absolutely the most beautiful I have ever seen - my buddy has the SXRD and it looks good, but there is something about the Plamsa - just awesome.

I am not trying to be an alarmist here, as many have indicated that they have had no issues, but I thought it important to let people know what I've experienced.

There is no way I am going to scar this puppy - I'm having nightmares about watching a sweet Sci-Fi DVD only to see the high score from freakin Kameo etched into the backdrop of an epic space battle.

For now I've decided to "settle" on moving the 360 to my old Hitachi 51F510 - it's still high def, and still looks good, but nothing like the Panny.

Anyone else out there had this problem???
post #654 of 7216 Old 05-13-2006, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdMnyMrph View Post

Wow... I put about 200+ hours in before I plugged in my XBOX360. I haven't seen a hint of retention anywhere. I also have my laptop connected with DVI to HDMI, I have a NVIDIA 7800 on my lappy so I can play video games at 1920x1080... also no retention.

LINK

Although... the longest session Ive played was about an hour. I still drop all of my settings if I'm working and the TV is on in the background. I guess the $3,000.00 question is how long will it take for the phosphors to settle in.

Some folks just choose alternate realities, and there's nothing that can be put into words here that will co·ax them out of that.
post #655 of 7216 Old 05-13-2006, 12:56 PM

This is what I got back from Panny when I asked them about break-in period and IR.
" This television utilizes a form of pixel-shifting so breaking in the television
should not be necessary, this however will not PREVENT burn-in from
occurring. Remember, any static image that is displayed on the screen for
an extended period of time (extended meaning more than 15% of the total
viewing time per week, or an hour of viewing time per day using the
maximum settings) has the potential to cause burn-in. Burn in can be
easily avoided so long as you use common sense when it comes to your
plasma TV. Don't pause video games or watch TV stations with station
logos on-screen for long periods of time, and use one of the many display
calibration DVDs available today for properly setting brightness and
contrast."

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdMnyMrph View Post

I have the new Panny 50" 60U and want to send a word of caution to everyone using a 360. I've got about 100 hours on the set, and have been using the 360 since about the 25 hour mark.

With all the settings turned down considerably +5 picture and +5 brightness - I began by been playing Perfect Dark for a few hours here and there. No image retention, so I assumed things would be just fine.

Well, I started playing Kameo and one night after playing for about 2 hours or so (I've limited all sessions to 2 hours max) I turned off the game to watch Lost. While inbetween signals it looked as though the score counter and the trigger buttons on each side were definitely retained in the sets image.

I turned off all signals to the TV but left the TV on and sure enough the life bar, score, trigger buttons, everything that was a static image throughout gameplay was very evident on the display. When I sent a signal back to the TV you could not see any change in the TV image from normal viewing distance, but up close you could definitely see the image retention - not dramatic, but there.

I watched TV for abour 2 hours thinking it might clean up the retention. I then turned off all signals again but left the TV on - much to my chagrin the IR was still visable. Lighter - but there nonetheless.

I checked it again in the morning, and it seemed to be gone. That night I turned down the settings to 0 on everything, played for about 20 minutes as a test, but the IR was back and stayed there all night again as described above. This time it was not gone in the morning either. I had my wife watch as much TV as she could that day, and the IR was gone by the time I got home. However, the psychological damage has been done and I am far from confident that this will not lead to permanent damage if I continue to use the 360 on it.

I am seriously bummed because the image on the Panny with the 360 is absolutely the most beautiful I have ever seen - my buddy has the SXRD and it looks good, but there is something about the Plamsa - just awesome.

I am not trying to be an alarmist here, as many have indicated that they have had no issues, but I thought it important to let people know what I've experienced.

There is no way I am going to scar this puppy - I'm having nightmares about watching a sweet Sci-Fi DVD only to see the high score from freakin Kameo etched into the backdrop of an epic space battle.

For now I've decided to "settle" on moving the 360 to my old Hitachi 51F510 - it's still high def, and still looks good, but nothing like the Panny.

post #656 of 7216 Old 05-13-2006, 01:07 PM

I had the logo from NBC show up on my screen yesterday, it went away after a few minutes. Then again today, after having CNN on for a short time, I saw it slightly when I was watching FOX, I have had it for less than 3 weeks, I am seriously thinking of returning it.
post #657 of 7216 Old 05-13-2006, 01:21 PM

Hi, could you do me a favor and email or call Comcast (or Motorola) and demand that the 3412 and similar Motorola STB boxes should have pass-through mode as an option instead of the fixed 1080i, 720p, 480p and so on...

The reasons are that the Panasonic system can have fill presets for each mode it detects, but if the STB is fixed for let's say 1080i, you need to adjust the fill/just each time you change the channel to a station that sends 720p instead of 1080i, and vice versa, which is annoying. Even worse, some consumers set the mode to just or fill, missing out information, not getting the whole 1080i signal information.

All that is required is that the 3412 STB provides a way to just let the signal pass into the Panasonic box, a so called 'pass-through mode' -- the Panasonic TV should do a much better job at resampling the rate, anyway.

And as usually, if we consumers do not demand it, nothing will happen. I did my part and sent two emails to Comcast. thx, Kent
post #658 of 7216 Old 05-13-2006, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComputerGuy View Post

I had the logo from NBC show up on my screen yesterday, it went away after a few minutes. Then again today, after having CNN on for a short time, I saw it slightly when I was watching FOX, I have had it for less than 3 weeks, I am seriously thinking of returning it.

I have had mine for about a week now, and I have not seen that. I think you will find some IR issues with all kinds of plasmas.
post #659 of 7216 Old 05-13-2006, 02:06 PM

Give me a break 'watch stations with logos for long periods of time' - 90% of the stations have logos on them. I watched Jay Leno on NBC for 30 minutes and the logo was still there the following morning!
post #660 of 7216 Old 05-13-2006, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComputerGuy View Post

I've had 50PX60U for a little over 100 hours now, watching all kinds of channels with logos, and I have not had any image retention issues at all. Be sure not to use vivid mode. Use standard mode for normal TV viewing.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Th 58px60u 58 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Th 42px600u 42 Plasma Hdtv Television , Panasonic Th50px600u 50 Inch Plasma Flat Panel Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page