Official Panasonic PX60/600 Tweaking, Settings, Issues, Technical Thread! - Page 241 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #7201 of 7219 Old 08-26-2013, 12:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dean-l View Post

Have you tried unplugging the little digital to analog cable box?

Like I said mine did not do it until I moved it into the bedroom and put the digital to analog cable box on it. It's been doing it for a few years. But NEVER at night.

Cable knows when you disconnect it and such. It also "looses" it's connection occasionally requiring time to "re-connect" to their end. I can't help but think they are doing some thing. Like "pinging" to see if a TV is connected and the TV has to "turn on" to handle it.

Oddly, I haven't heard it much lately.

I also should mention that my OLD 13 inch tube TV in the spare bedroom also has a DtoA cable box on it. It used to VERY slowly flash. Like it was looking for something, or lost ot's connection.

unplugged everything except power and basic cable and I cant even get it to power on...it was a great set 7 years ago but I guess it was time to upgrade anyway. Brought home a Sony 47W802A last night.

given that the 50PX60u could prob be fixed easily with a $75 part, do ya think it would be worth anything on craigslist?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7202 of 7219 Old 11-22-2013, 10:16 AM
adm

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ran into a problem with our unit where the solution, may apply to other problems before the call goes out to an expensive/frustrating wait for the service tech to achieve the same thing w/o costing you "muy mucho dinero"! Our Panny was mfg circa July 2006 & fortunately to date, has NEVER given us any issues.

Forgive me if this post is simplistic in what it proposes, but there are those among us who might have this work for other issues and thus bring a smile, prior to experiencing major grief.

We have two remotes (Original Panasonic + the Optimum UR2-CBL-CV04 for the Sci America 8300 Cable box). We have the house cable feed entering the Panny via a split signal using 2 HDMI cables (the split occurs prior to the cable set top box resulting in an OTA cable feed as well as through the cable box itself). An additional benefit of this connectivity is that when recording 2 shows from Cable, we can watch a 3rd (thus overriding the 2 live show limit) by using the Panasonic remote and switching the input to the 2nd tuner on the Plasma. This bypasses the cable channel sequence because the Panasonic tuner operates on its own similar to an "Over The Air" cable feed.

A few months ago, the access to the input options via the Panasonic remote stopped working. We thought it was a "sticky contact" issue on that remote since we changed the batteries on that remote and it still would not work. The only way we could then change from the cable feed (HDMI) to have the DVD as the feed was to manually use the control panel buttons in the front, on the Plasma itself.

Last night, even using the front of the Panny panel stopped working. Thus, we lost access to the ability to switch between inputs and could not change away from any inputs, only channels (which are subsets via OTA tuning). I began to think that the problem was an internal board issue on the Plasma itself. OH NO!!!!!!!!!!

Tried various things, including leaving the units (cable & Plasma) off over night. NADA.
Finally pulled the power plug on the back of the Plasma for a couple of hours and treated the problem as an electrical outage, so that everything would revert to original settings like a reboot of a computer.

LO & BEHOLD, everything came back to functionality as the Panny asked to reset all settings (even though several of my initial tweaks were still in place). Ironically, even the Panny remote is now functioning, so that we do not have to address input option changes via front panel.

BTW- While this approach might seem "mickey mouse" to some, it is a trouble shooting option (pulling the plug and starting as though it is a brand new unit) that has solved several computer (aka exiting, closing down & "Rebooting the system') issues as well.

This won me big cheers on the home front, so hopefully it can do the same for others. Remember, we need all the support we can get to repair/fix things to please "them that MUST BE OBEYED"...

..Mark
post #7203 of 7219 Old 11-22-2013, 11:46 AM
adm

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmafia View Post

all troubleshoots failed. the unit is clicking all the time and I have to unplug it. now the unit wont even turn on half the time.

Panasonic sent me to their service contractor who said it is definitely the power supply board. he said it is a common issue and unfortunately with parts, labor, tax, etc, it sounds a little pricey to fix at $450-500. guess it's time to go shopping.

I realize that I am seeing/replying to this 3 months after the fact. You might even have solved it already, but here goes a thought.
While this may not cure the issue, maybe this information might help you address it (Rube Goldberg style as a work-around).

When we first set up our unit (as well as every time it comes back on after a power loss), we learned that the clicking might be related to the "TV Guide" search. As the Panny periodically does the search, there were the resulting "clicking sounds".

Because we are using our Cable STB connection (rather than the OTA direct connection which we have because we split the input prior to the cable box, so we have two sources of input) we are NOT using the TV Guide Search option on the Panny. Instead we are seeing the Cable TV guide --which we then use to switch channels or record from on the cable STB/storage. Thus, we no longer hear the "metallic clicking sound".

That being said, I'm not sure if you disable the channel guide, it would also eliminate the clicking, but it might. You could also try switching the Channel Guide off overnight, and only bringing it up when using the unit the following day. Not a pleasant option, but, if it works...
post #7204 of 7219 Old 11-22-2013, 01:42 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Disable the channel guide.

How?

Moderator harassment is wrong and immoral.  
post #7205 of 7219 Old 11-22-2013, 01:44 PM
Advanced Member

Is there a channel guide?

P.S. I would've just edited my previous post. But I'm being harassed by the Moderators and they have turned off that function for me. I apologize.

post #7206 of 7219 Old 11-22-2013, 03:14 PM
adm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean-l View Post

Is there a channel guide?

P.S. I would've just edited my previous post. But I'm being harassed by the Moderators and they have turned off that function for me. I apologize.

There is a "channel guide" and it is controlled by the 1st button on the Panel's hidden controls (center area on the front, below the screen, as well as on the Panny remote --"Guide"). Not sure if you can control it via "set up mode". I am guessing here.

Before I begin, I might want to share that I may be a "trogladite" in that I have separate remotes for EVERYTHING. I do NOT use a "universal" or combo remote for anything (including the HK audio AVR, the surround sound system, the DVD, VCR, or Multiple CD changer that are also in the mix. And most of them are channeled through the HK AVR rather than through the Panny.). Yes, this has created much initial grief in the house, but the results for me far out weigh them. And, it might be an answer to why I am also not experiencing your issue. Thus, what you are going to read may be impacted upon because of this, and at the same time it might be more difficult to achieve if you are using a single remote for everything. As silly as it may sound, by using different remotes for each device, I have better control over what is happening, as well as keeping the separate settings I want for each specific device that is interacting with the Panny at their optimum for my listening and viewing pleasure. But it might also create havoc in your own personal space. Having said that...

The way that we have by-passed the Panny's TV Guide is by having 2 separate feeds into the Plasma (on the back side of the Plasma).
I have achieved this by having the cable signal that is coming into the house split before it reaches the STB input.

At the split, One cable goes directly into the back of the Plasma. That cable input connection is listed on my set up as the "TV" (#1, which happens to be the top entry in the vertical selection table chart) on the TV/Mode selection screen (TV). THis mode allows us to use the Plasma when the cable is recording 2 programs and we would otherwise not have access to view a live program at the same time on the Panny. This option is only accessible when we use the Panny Remote. On my Panny, for some reason (possibly because it is not going through the STB), it does NOT have any listings for programming. THus, NO clicking, because the listings are not picked up, nor refreshed at various intervals, and it is currently on my system, not supported by the cable feed that is similar to an OTA filtered reception.

The 2nd cable that comes out of the split, goes directly to the rear of the cable STB and from there (the STB), we use an HDMI cable from the Cable Box to one of the HDMI inputs on the back of the Panny. This input (on the Panny TV/VCR input menu) is listed by me as HDMI and is the #4 item in the vertical chart on the screen. These names/titles of these inputs are editable so that you can have a better of idea of what each device is supposed to connect with the Plasma. Our Panny (98% of the time) operates from this connection/input. This connection/input allows us to view the Cable Listings of Programming (from the Cable provider) and is controlled by the Cable remote. Thus we are able to see a TV guide, but it is from the STB & not from the Panny.

It just may be that by bypassing the Panny as my main source of programming information (TV-Guide), we are able to avoid the infamous "clicking" sound. There are probably a group out there that will read what I have done and consider it "overkill". I will plead "guilty as charged", but note that it works for me.

Hope that this helps.
..Mark
post #7207 of 7219 Old 11-22-2013, 03:29 PM
Advanced Member

Nope, no dice.

You must have a PX600 model, which, I assume, has a guide.

I thought something was strange about all this.

post #7208 of 7219 Old 11-22-2013, 03:59 PM
adm

Yes.
Our model is: TH 50PX600 U.

Sorry, I didn't pick up on that and say so. Yes, in retrospect the model we have does have TV Guide on it.

I also seem to remember that when Costco started carrying their own version (from Panny) of the 50PX series --the model had "50 PX 60" as the model name-- in competition against other audio stores, they did not have all of the bells and whistles that some of the other 50 PX series did. That was how stores like Costco was able to sell a "similar" product at a much lower price point, having a slightly different model # that was decerrnable only if you knew to look at every digit and letter in the code of the model itself. One digit or letter difference, meant that it was "technically" not the same model.

This practice also allowed stores to avoid a "price match" since the model # was NOT exactly the same.

I was following the early comments on AVS at that time (2004+) that this was occurring, otherwise I would have never realized that there really was a difference between the products. I wanted it all and did not want to cut corners, unless it was exactly the same version that was being touted so highly on this forum.

That being said, would the connections that I mentioned help, or would it not make a difference? I don't know.
Not looking to have you go out and spend money unnecessarily.

Not sure if these connections would change things for you, since in essence, my set up is using the STB/Cable info for the TV guide information. And that clicking that we used to get because of the scanning taking place by the Panny searching for the TV guide info has been totally eliminated by hooking it up the way I did. When the Plasma is using the TV mode (not the STB), I do experience the clicking.

Sorry that I can't help more.
post #7209 of 7219 Old 11-23-2013, 10:55 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by adm View Post

Yes.
Our model is: TH 50PX600 U.

Sorry, I didn't pick up on that and say so. Yes, in retrospect the model we have does have TV Guide on it.

I also seem to remember that when Costco started carrying their own version (from Panny) of the 50PX series --the model had "50 PX 60" as the model name-- in competition against other audio stores, they did not have all of the bells and whistles that some of the other 50 PX series did. That was how stores like Costco was able to sell a "similar" product at a much lower price point, having a slightly different model # that was decerrnable only if you knew to look at every digit and letter in the code of the model itself. One digit or letter difference, meant that it was "technically" not the same model.

This practice also allowed stores to avoid a "price match" since the model # was NOT exactly the same.

I was following the early comments on AVS at that time (2004+) that this was occurring, otherwise I would have never realized that there really was a difference between the products. I wanted it all and did not want to cut corners, unless it was exactly the same version that was being touted so highly on this forum.

That being said, would the connections that I mentioned help, or would it not make a difference? I don't know.
Not looking to have you go out and spend money unnecessarily.

Not sure if these connections would change things for you, since in essence, my set up is using the STB/Cable info for the TV guide information. And that clicking that we used to get because of the scanning taking place by the Panny searching for the TV guide info has been totally eliminated by hooking it up the way I did. When the Plasma is using the TV mode (not the STB), I do experience the clicking.

Sorry that I can't help more.

Thanks for weighing in. If it were just the clicking I would have tried to live with it but it got to where it wouldn't even turn on. I gave it to a friend who is going to try a new board off ebay for $60. I was jonesin for a new Sony anyway and am very happy with my new unit.
post #7210 of 7219 Old 11-23-2013, 03:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmafia View Post

Thanks for weighing in. If it were just the clicking I would have tried to live with it but it got to where it wouldn't even turn on. I gave it to a friend who is going to try a new board off ebay for $60. I was jonesin for a new Sony anyway and am very happy with my new unit.

Let us know how it goes for him. I've got the clicking. It's not bad, but probably a matter of time.

P.S. In between the clicks you can SEE a red light on in the back (middle). There should always be two clicks. ON and OFF. Not the TV,, but this ONE board. AT least that's my observation.

post #7211 of 7219 Old 12-24-2013, 06:35 PM

Hi guys, 1st time poster here, it looks like there is a lot of knowledgeable folks here. Maybe someone can provide some insight to what is going on with my much loved plasma.

The background: purchased new in September 2006 and has been a stellar performer...it is just for the past year...

Back to the background: TV is fed by a coax cable directly into the TV, Comcast Digital Preferred with a cable card. The house coax goes to a splitter, one side goes to the TV, the other side to the small Comcast digital adaptor, then to a DVR for recording the lower range/grade channels. TV is Serial # MA61800308. Panasonic firmware update done May 26, 2011.

I've tried Panny tech help for this problem, went thru a bunch of menus with the phone rep, but didn't get anywhere. I took it to an authorized service center, but they couldn't replicate the issue and were no help after $85.00. They claimed it was the cable card. I didn't think so, but I tried two replacements from Comcast with no change in behavior so I don't think the cable card is the issue.

The problem started on the 14th of November, 2012 (there was no lightening strike or power surge to my knowledge FWIW). When turning on the TV as you normally would, the power indicator light illuminates, you can hear the cooling fan start up, the screen slightly changes color to a light grey, but then that is as far as it goes. It remains in a static condition like that. No messages or such appears. I then tried disconnecting the power by unplugging, waiting a few seconds, then plugging back in. Doing this, the TV turned on normally. After responding to a few menu commands, the TV operates normally.

This behavior has continued for the past year, meaning, one has to to disconnect the power each time before turning on the TV to get it to turn on at all.

There are a couple of other behaviors that it does now regularly since this all started.

1) 30%-40% of the time the TV does not respond to remote commands immediately, such as the Info button, TV/Video button, Favorites button, channel up/down, volume or R-Tune button. There  there is a 5-10 second or more delay before the tv responds or the menus come up on the screen. Then after a few minutes, they will flash up after this delay. I have installed fresh batteries in the remote and see no change in the behavior.

2) Often the channel box that displays the channel number and call letters in the upper left hand of the screen when switching between channels does not display for several minutes. The TV will still change the station, but this info box will not display. Then it will start displaying, flickering however many times one had hit the keys.

3) Rarely, if you try to power up the TV without unplugging it first, it will turn on, but it will be on a different channel than when you left it when you turned it off last, and it won't change channels or volume, etc. at all, you will need to cut power and start over to get any response.

4) After this unplugging routine (my wife and kids are getting tired of it, but I don't want to give up my cable card!) and the TV powers up, after a 1 minute or two time playing the screen goes black, and in white lettering, the screen displays the following:

In order to start service for this device,

please contact customer service at ph# 1-800-XFINITY.

CableCARD (tm) 0-011- 478-068-296.

Host ID 0-020-004-715-213

Host Type: One-Way

Hitting the "EXIT" button on the remote gets rid of it and we can watch tv somewhat normally, until the volume or channel changing freezes up again. In this case the TV doesn't respond to the manual buttons for channel up/down or volume either.

And...sometimes when you power off with the remote, the screen will go out, the fans stop running, but the red power light on the front remains illuminated. Pressing the manual power off button on the front of the unit doesn't even cut power, you have to unplug from the wall. FWIW, thru all this I get the metallic clicks that previous posters have mentioned when I plug in or unplug.

I'm not adverse to buying a board or two and trying a repair myself, I just don't have a clue where to start - suggestions anyone?

post #7212 of 7219 Old 12-25-2013, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuono Guy View Post

Hi guys, 1st time poster here, it looks like there is a lot of knowledgeable folks here. Maybe someone can provide some insight to what is going on with my much loved plasma.

The background: purchased new in September 2006 and has been a stellar performer...it is just for the past year...

Back to the background: TV is fed by a coax cable directly into the TV, Comcast Digital Preferred with a cable card. The house coax goes to a splitter, one side goes to the TV, the other side to the small Comcast digital adaptor, then to a DVR for recording the lower range/grade channels. TV is Serial # MA61800308. Panasonic firmware update done May 26, 2011.

I've tried Panny tech help for this problem, went thru a bunch of menus with the phone rep, but didn't get anywhere. I took it to an authorized service center, but they couldn't replicate the issue and were no help after $85.00. They claimed it was the cable card. I didn't think so, but I tried two replacements from Comcast with no change in behavior so I don't think the cable card is the issue.

The problem started on the 14th of November, 2012 (there was no lightening strike or power surge to my knowledge FWIW). When turning on the TV as you normally would, the power indicator light illuminates, you can hear the cooling fan start up, the screen slightly changes color to a light grey, but then that is as far as it goes. It remains in a static condition like that. No messages or such appears. I then tried disconnecting the power by unplugging, waiting a few seconds, then plugging back in. Doing this, the TV turned on normally. After responding to a few menu commands, the TV operates normally.

This behavior has continued for the past year, meaning, one has to to disconnect the power each time before turning on the TV to get it to turn on at all.

There are a couple of other behaviors that it does now regularly since this all started.

1) 30%-40% of the time the TV does not respond to remote commands immediately, such as the Info button, TV/Video button, Favorites button, channel up/down, volume or R-Tune button. There  there is a 5-10 second or more delay before the tv responds or the menus come up on the screen. Then after a few minutes, they will flash up after this delay. I have installed fresh batteries in the remote and see no change in the behavior.

2) Often the channel box that displays the channel number and call letters in the upper left hand of the screen when switching between channels does not display for several minutes. The TV will still change the station, but this info box will not display. Then it will start displaying, flickering however many times one had hit the keys.

3) Rarely, if you try to power up the TV without unplugging it first, it will turn on, but it will be on a different channel than when you left it when you turned it off last, and it won't change channels or volume, etc. at all, you will need to cut power and start over to get any response.

4) After this unplugging routine (my wife and kids are getting tired of it, but I don't want to give up my cable card!) and the TV powers up, after a 1 minute or two time playing the screen goes black, and in white lettering, the screen displays the following:

In order to start service for this device,
please contact customer service at ph# 1-800-XFINITY.
CableCARD (tm) 0-011- 478-068-296.
Host ID 0-020-004-715-213
Host Type: One-Way

Hitting the "EXIT" button on the remote gets rid of it and we can watch tv somewhat normally, until the volume or channel changing freezes up again. In this case the TV doesn't respond to the manual buttons for channel up/down or volume either.
And...sometimes when you power off with the remote, the screen will go out, the fans stop running, but the red power light on the front remains illuminated. Pressing the manual power off button on the front of the unit doesn't even cut power, you have to unplug from the wall. FWIW, thru all this I get the metallic clicks that previous posters have mentioned when I plug in or unplug.

I'm not adverse to buying a board or two and trying a repair myself, I just don't have a clue where to start - suggestions anyone?

I don't have much expertise, but this doesn't sound like a cable card issue. Sounds like something is going bad on the TV. All the symptoms, noises, flickering, etc. point to the TV. It's not a cable card issue if you experience the same problem off the DVR feed (not sure what DVR you have that operates independently). Or you could try a Comcast box for a trial to see if the TV works with a box rather than a cable card.

TVs are so cheap these days, I would think that it would be much wiser to buy a new one rather than try and repair yours. If you want another Panny, you had better hurry as they are stopping production.

I rue the day when my Panny dies as it is really a good TV. But, it will be a good excuse to get an even bigger screen!
post #7213 of 7219 Old 12-26-2013, 06:23 AM

Thanks for the input, maybe some other readers will have an idea on a fix.

Yeah, I'm thinking along the same lines as you, about the issue is within the TV's workings and it would be time to bump up to a 48" or thereabouts set like you say.

Since nothing has a built in cable card anymore (at least all the searching I've done hasn't yielded anything) I'll need to go with the Samsung GX-SM530CF that some other folks on this site have tried out.

I didn't know about Panasonic was stopping production of their TV's, thanks for the heads up.

post #7214 of 7219 Old 12-26-2013, 07:36 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
They aren't stopping production of TVs, only their plasma line. But it might as well be everything!

Panny Plasma Junkie: TC-P50VT20, TC-P50G15, TH-42PX60U
post #7215 of 7219 Old 12-26-2013, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul210 View Post

They aren't stopping production of TVs, only their plasma line. But it might as well be everything!

Ah yes, you are right. After reading that bit of info I searched on this site and got caught on the latest news about the plasmas. Then I looked up some reviews and zeroed in on the 50" Panasonic TC-PST60. But SWMBO is balking...a TV is a price point for her :-(

post #7216 of 7219 Old 12-26-2013, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Shoulda said plasma even though this is a plasma thread. And, as you say, you only really want the Panny for the plasma, otherwise it's on to another brand.
post #7217 of 7219 Old 11-16-2014, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilF View Post
OK... I can get into the service menu (on my TH37PX60):-
- Bass to full, Treble to min.
- Analog channel 99.
- Hold down -/TV and click 0 on the remote three times.

So I'm in the service menu, but how on earth do I now reduce/adjust the overscan? Preferably while looking at a testcard from the HDMI channel?
Recently picked up a used TH50PX6U and I too am wondering if anyone has had any luck adjusting or eliminating the default overscan? I didn't see anything in the service menu either. Just trying to get a PS3 and PC image to display "properly" without any crop/overscan.
post #7218 of 7219 Old 11-17-2014, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modern Vintage View Post
Recently picked up a used TH50PX6U and I too am wondering if anyone has had any luck adjusting or eliminating the default overscan? I didn't see anything in the service menu either. Just trying to get a PS3 and PC image to display "properly" without any crop/overscan.
I never noticed an issue with overscan??? Are you sure you have selected full???
post #7219 of 7219 Old Yesterday, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beekermartin View Post
I never noticed an issue with overscan??? Are you sure you have selected full???
Yes, I always check to make sure my aspect/view mode is set to full. I don't notice or care much about it when viewing regular TV, movies, and games but when I use the web browser on the PS3 (1080p) it cuts off a little on each edge and on certain web sites some content is cut off because of it. I also notice it when I plug my tablet into the TV via 1080p HDMI, all edges of the desktop are cut off and any other resolution below 1080 wont fill up the screen.

After a bit of research I have yet to find a way or anyone that has been able to turn off overscan. I know the newer models have a special setting regarding this issue called "HD size" "Size 1/Size 2". One is for 95% HD signal view (overscan) and the other for 100% HD signal view (no overscan or scaling).

Personally I've always felt that picture quality has always been better without overscan due to the processing the TV has to do in or "zoom" the image and was hoping there might be a way this set can achieve that.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Th 58px60u 58 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Th 42px600u 42 Plasma Hdtv Television , Panasonic Th50px600u 50 Inch Plasma Flat Panel Hdtv
Gear in this thread