Official Panasonic PX60/600 Tweaking, Settings, Issues, Technical Thread! - Page 242 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #7231 of 7245 Old 01-09-2017, 04:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by RexB View Post
My TH-50PX60U was excellent for 10 years to the day I gave it away last month. I'd have kept it if we had room, but i bought the LG C6 in my sig. The Pan plasma picture stayed good, still deep blacks/contrast, no burn in, no problems at all. It sure warmed the living room up with its 500 watts though, not to mention the electric bill. The new C6 OLED 55" is much cooler, runs about 100 watts. And of course its amazing picture, colors and contrast. 178 degree viewing angle even with its slightly curved screen. Web OS3, HDR, very nice. 4K out of the Xbox is eye opening and we love it. It finally came down enough in price to afford
At least it got a new home with someone who will appreciate it. Yeah, the plasmas can suck down some electricity and they weigh a metric ton. Glad to hear you are enjoying the new TV. I will get there one day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7232 of 7245 Old 01-09-2017, 04:23 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhl2k View Post
Going from 37 to 55 made a huge difference by itself. Seeing true black is also TV nirvana. I also had issues with the green trails and horizontal line bleed that I don't miss, though they were a problem with all plasmas. I refused to get an LCD after I purchased one as my first HDTV and returned it because of horrible blacks and viewing angles, which I exchanged for the plasma.
Yes indeed, I remember the early days of those TV's was like watching through not one, but two screen doors lol. We just had a 48" Sony projection screen that was still going strong back in those days. Once lightning hit it and messed up some inputs I was able to move up to the panny plasma. I'm always late to the game on the TV front.
post #7233 of 7245 Old 01-10-2017, 05:18 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Funny, I too was thinking about how I stood in line on Black Friday 10 years ago to score my TH42-PX60U for the master bedroom. It still looks great and this time of year I appreciate the extra heat it puts off. That TV isn't going anywhere until I can beat its PQ at a similar price to what I paid for it, or until it dies.
bwaldron likes this.

Panny Plasma Relic: TC-P50VT20, TC-P50G15, TH-42PX60U

post #7234 of 7245 Old 01-14-2017, 01:47 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I finally swapped out my TH-42PX60U for a Samsung. My only issue with it was the lower resolution 1024x768 panel. No 4K content for me so I went with 1920x1080.

Reynolds:"Not much faith in plan A?"
O'Neill:"Since when has plan A ever worked?"

Stargate SG-1, episode 143, "Evolution"

post #7235 of 7245 Old 01-26-2017, 01:07 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by swoodall View Post
I was just curious as to the activity of some older model TV's. I have the TH-50PX600U and it is still working fairly well. Every once in awhile the screen will turn red, but it clears up quickly when it does happen. Can't complain after 10 years of use, at least 8 hours a day, 7 days a week!
Our TH-42PX60U is still working well. It has one pixel in the upper left that sometimes flickers red, but other than that, it's fine. I'm starting to think about getting something bigger (and higher resolution) because we moved a few years ago and the room we have it in now is much bigger than where it was in our old house. The only problem is that the cabinet it is in was custom built by my father to fit this size TV. I can't go any bigger without removing the top of the entertainment center. Attached is a very old pic from when the entertainment center (and the TV) were pretty new.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0713 - Copy.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	1921433  
Bruce2019 likes this.
post #7236 of 7245 Old 01-26-2017, 01:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 25
The good news is most modern tvs have much smaller bezels. So you should be able to go bigger than you have now. My 42px600u is still going strong. I gave it to my brother in law and he is using it now. After the 600 I got a VT60 and then an OLED. The OLED is amazing. It isn't perfect. ABL is annoying and noticeable when channel surfing but the overall picture quality is amazing.
post #7237 of 7245 Old 01-26-2017, 07:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Bought my first 50PX600U in 2006 and paid nearly $4000 for it! It's been a great TV and, despite its 720p resolution, kicks the snot out of most 1080p LCD/LED TVs. Just picked up a second 50PX600U off Craigslist for $75!!! I'm stoked!
post #7238 of 7245 Old 01-27-2017, 12:58 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by beekermartin View Post
The good news is most modern tvs have much smaller bezels. So you should be able to go bigger than you have now. My 42px600u is still going strong. I gave it to my brother in law and he is using it now. After the 600 I got a VT60 and then an OLED. The OLED is amazing. It isn't perfect. ABL is annoying and noticeable when channel surfing but the overall picture quality is amazing.

Why is the ABL of the OLED annoying. The Oled has much higher full Screen brightness then the VT60..

Compared to my ST60, the Oleds have more then twice the full Screen brightness.. it should not be a Problem for ex Plasma owners.. is the ABL on the OLED somehow different working?

Happy Panasonic Viera TX-P42S20ES owner
post #7239 of 7245 Old 01-28-2017, 06:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I find ABL to be more intrusive on my 9100 OLED than the VT60. I don't notice it while watching a program. I notice it whenever I change channels and the Verizon info bar appears on the lower part of the screen. The brightness will increase when the bar pops up. It is noticeable and distracting. It is not a deal breaker by any means. The picture quality is still fantastic and I don't notice it when not changing channels. I just wish ABL wasn't necessary. It reminds of an iris in a projector. The pumping up and down of brightness levels is distracting. Also, when the image brightens it makes me wish it would always be that bright. It really adds to the contrast since the black level is perfect. Maybe one day it won't be necessary in the future OLED models. I know the newest OLED are brighter than the 9100 model I have. Maybe the ABL in those models is less obvious.
post #7240 of 7245 Old 01-28-2017, 11:33 AM

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 67
ABL seems to be a problem still though the sets do get much brighter now. Just ordered a c6p so will see. My f8500 plasma also has it but not as noticeable to me though I do run the set at 10 brightness vs 20 max.
post #7241 of 7245 Old 02-05-2017, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Talking Dyed in the Wool Panasonic follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuhkinay View Post
Our TH-42PX60U is still working well. It has one pixel in the upper left that sometimes flickers red, but other than that, it's fine. I'm starting to think about getting something bigger (and higher resolution) because we moved a few years ago and the room we have it in now is much bigger than where it was in our old house. The only problem is that the cabinet it is in was custom built by my father to fit this size TV. I can't go any bigger without removing the top of the entertainment center. Attached is a very old pic from when the entertainment center (and the TV) were pretty new.

I still have my Panasonic TH-50XP600U BOUGHT IN MAY OF 1997........ IT IS AS GOOD AS THE DAY I INSTALLED IT.... FOLLOWED AVS FORUM SETTINGS. I lIVED IN NY CITY AREA THEN.. MOVED TO OUTSIDE OF DENVER.... SET HASN'T BEEN TOUCHED EXCEPT CLEANING DUST OFF THE SCREEN WITH WINDEX !

Also have a Pioneer Elite 50" calibrated by none other then the "renowned" Kevin Miller of 'AVS' fame when i was back in N.Y ( bought it 3 months prior to the Panasonic...... I would state without reservation, the "Pany" is within fractions of the picture quality of the Pioneer...... hands down.... Shame you unloaded the Pany... great kids room unit. btw... I have been away from the forum for several years for reasons unknown to even me... But win, loose or draw.. I'm back.. check out my limited posts on the various video and audio forums ! Good to be back.

PANNY PICTURE SETTINGS
picture mode: Standard
color temp: warm
aspect Ratio: full
picture contrast: 18
brightness: +5
Color -2
Tint: -3
SHARPNESS:-10
Color temp : warm
Color Mgmt: Off
C>A>T>S>: off
video NR : OFF
3DYC :OFF
COLOR MATRIX: HD
MPEG NR: OFF
BLACK LEVEL : LIGHT

Dabluguy1

Last edited by ginovino; 02-05-2017 at 12:24 PM. Reason: DID'NT FISHISH CALIBRATION INSTRUCTIONS
post #7242 of 7245 Old 02-18-2017, 07:21 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginovino View Post
I still have my Panasonic TH-50XP600U BOUGHT IN MAY OF 1997........ IT IS AS GOOD AS THE DAY I INSTALLED IT.... FOLLOWED AVS FORUM SETTINGS. I lIVED IN NY CITY AREA THEN.. MOVED TO OUTSIDE OF DENVER.... SET HASN'T BEEN TOUCHED EXCEPT CLEANING DUST OFF THE SCREEN WITH WINDEX !

Also have a Pioneer Elite 50" calibrated by none other then the "renowned" Kevin Miller of 'AVS' fame when i was back in N.Y ( bought it 3 months prior to the Panasonic...... I would state without reservation, the "Pany" is within fractions of the picture quality of the Pioneer...... hands down.... Shame you unloaded the Pany... great kids room unit. btw... I have been away from the forum for several years for reasons unknown to even me... But win, loose or draw.. I'm back.. check out my limited posts on the various video and audio forums ! Good to be back.

PANNY PICTURE SETTINGS
picture mode: Standard
color temp: warm
aspect Ratio: full
picture contrast: 18
brightness: +5
Color -2
Tint: -3
SHARPNESS:-10
Color temp : warm
Color Mgmt: Off
C>A>T>S>: off
video NR : OFF
3DYC :OFF
COLOR MATRIX: HD
MPEG NR: OFF
BLACK LEVEL : LIGHT

Dabluguy1
IT appears I have no followers to my comments from the "grave" about my Pany still performing as the day I bought it..... I failed to mention the often quoted statement about Elevation badly affecting the picture quality and longevity of "PLASMA" models such as my Pany 600.... I live at 6153ft above sea level.... In my book, that's 153ft above one(1) mile HIGH !!!!! ...... Nothing else I can add to that hokum (at least in my case).
With the absence of other contributors, am I to assume this THREAD has run its course, is for all intents and purposes now "KAPUT, FINITO, GONE TO ITS REST, RESTS WITH THE ANGELS, FADED INTO OBLIVION, AS WE ALL WILL FOLLOW AND BECOME THE THINGS THAT THE STARS ARE MADE OF............I TIP MY HAT, RAISE MY GLASS AND TOAST TO MY LADS AND PANASONIC COMRADES. !!!!!
post #7243 of 7245 Old 02-18-2017, 07:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginovino View Post
IT appears I have no followers to my comments from the "grave" about my Pany still performing as the day I bought it..... I failed to mention the often quoted statement about Elevation badly affecting the picture quality and longevity of "PLASMA" models such as my Pany 600.... I live at 6153ft above sea level.... In my book, that's 153ft above one(1) mile HIGH !!!!! ...... Nothing else I can add to that hokum (at least in my case).
With the absence of other contributors, am I to assume this THREAD has run its course, is for all intents and purposes now "KAPUT, FINITO, GONE TO ITS REST, RESTS WITH THE ANGELS, FADED INTO OBLIVION, AS WE ALL WILL FOLLOW AND BECOME THE THINGS THAT THE STARS ARE MADE OF............I TIP MY HAT, RAISE MY GLASS AND TOAST TO MY LADS AND PANASONIC COMRADES. !!!!!
Way more than 153 feet above one mile. I hadn't heard about elevation affecting plasmas. Must have something to do with air pressure being lower at high elevations.

I tried your settings, but not bright enough for me.

I think I paid $3500 for mine ten years ago. Ridiculously expensive compared to the prices today, but I got a lot of use out of it.
post #7244 of 7245 Old 02-19-2017, 01:20 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGA$$TV View Post
Way more than 153 feet above one mile. I hadn't heard about elevation affecting plasmas. Must have something to do with air pressure being lower at high elevations.

I tried your settings, but not bright enough for me.

I think I paid $3500 for mine ten years ago. Ridiculously expensive compared to the prices today, but I got a lot of use out of it.
What's there to say? My PX60 is still performing like a champ, as it has for the past decade. I haven't needed to touch its settings or worry about in in the least. So really nothing to talk about.
post #7245 of 7245 Old 04-09-2017, 10:25 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaldron View Post
What's there to say? My PX60 is still performing like a champ, as it has for the past decade. I haven't needed to touch its settings or worry about in in the least. So really nothing to talk about.
FWIW, my 42px600u is still in operation, although it was relegated to the exercise room a while ago when I finally dumped the 31" Panasonic tube TV. It will be interesting to see if I get 23 years out of the plasma.

Reynolds:"Not much faith in plan A?"
O'Neill:"Since when has plan A ever worked?"

Stargate SG-1, episode 143, "Evolution"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Th 58px60u 58 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Th 42px600u 42 Plasma Hdtv Television , Panasonic Th50px600u 50 Inch Plasma Flat Panel Hdtv

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page