Official Panasonic PX60/600 Tweaking, Settings, Issues, Technical Thread! - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 7216 Old 05-18-2006, 06:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by megeed View Post

I have some questions, that Panasonic never replied to. I have the TH-50PX60U
1) The manual says that the HDMI connection can take in 480i. Has anyone tried this?

No, but i have no reason to doubt it.

Quote:

2) The manual also says that the HDMI connection can take in 1080p. Is this true, I thought the TV was only upto 1080i.

It can, as i mentioned in my post a couple up from this one. The TV just scales it down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 7216 Old 05-18-2006, 07:23 AM
Q&A

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigmohead View Post

Hello, all! Great forum!

Got the TH-42PX60U a couple days ago and everything looks great, even with all the settings a little bit low during the break in period.

Last night, however, I DVR'd the HD version of Sopranos and decided to start watching the recording before it had finished. For some reason, though, my TV was muted. Normally if the 60U is muted, it displays "Mute" in red in the bottom left corner of the screen. This white "MUTE" was small, in the top center of the screen. Nothing I did, no remote I used, would remove it. Then, when the recording stopped, everything was back to normal again.

Anyone run into this? I'm figuring there's a setting somewhere that needs to be switched, but I'm not sure what it is. I tried both the HDMI 1 input and the Component 1 input, but both were muted.

Here are the elements involved:

Panasonic TH-42PX60U
Motorola DCT6412 III HD DVR (which I got through RCN)
HDMI cable from Motorola to TV
Component cable from Motorola to TV

Thanks!

craigmohead,

The white mute is coming from your DVR. If the DVR starts recording something when it is off (that ism you are not watching TV) it mutes the sound. Try pressing the little - (minus) button on the bottom right corner of your remote. If that doesn't work, you may have to program it. Go to the HDTV Reception Hardware forum and run a search for you DVR.
Q&A
post #723 of 7216 Old 05-18-2006, 08:24 AM

Liked: 15
Does the TH-37PX60U have a QAM tuner? I've seen NTSC/ATSC/QAM listed, but I've also seen just NTSC/ATSC listed.

Anyone know for sure?
post #724 of 7216 Old 05-18-2006, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutwolf View Post

Does the TH-37PX60U have a QAM tuner? I've seen NTSC/ATSC/QAM listed, but I've also seen just NTSC/ATSC listed.

Anyone know for sure?

I know for sure:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panasonic's website View Post

TH-37PX60U
37" Diagonal Plasma HDTV with Built-In ATSC/QAM/NTSC Tuners and SD Memory Card Slot

http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs...00000000005702
post #725 of 7216 Old 05-18-2006, 09:29 AM

Has anybody had problems accessing the service menu? Last night I followed Bruzzi's Instructions with no luck:

Hold down VOLUME (-) on TV so that volume reads "0".
..While still holding down the VOLUME (-) press the
..RECALL button on the Remote 3 times.
..Service Menu appears.

Is there something I'm missing here?
post #726 of 7216 Old 05-18-2006, 02:31 PM

You can notice a big difference if you set everything to zero and switch between VIVID and CINEMA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by croikee View Post

So we have standard, vivid and cinema.
Say I set all three modes at exactly the same, will they look different still due to some factory setting on each? Or if, say, all three are '0' across the board will they look the same? I'm away from the TV for awhile so thought I'd just ask now.

post #727 of 7216 Old 05-18-2006, 04:19 PM

I have a couple of questions about image retention, or burn-in.

1) Is it true that the brighter the still object the greater the chance of IR?
2) Why is it that the when watching in 4x3 they say to use grey sides instead of black sides to prevent IR. I would assume the opposite.
3) Does Close caption effect IR?

Thank you.
post #728 of 7216 Old 05-18-2006, 04:51 PM

Does anybody have any video or image links to sets that have bad image retention or burn ins... or is it like Big Foot?

Some folks just choose alternate realities, and there's nothing that can be put into words here that will co·ax them out of that.
post #729 of 7216 Old 05-18-2006, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzeroo View Post

Has anybody had problems accessing the service menu? Last night I followed Bruzzi's Instructions with no luck:

Hold down VOLUME (-) on TV so that volume reads "0".
..While still holding down the VOLUME (-) press the
..RECALL button on the Remote 3 times.
..Service Menu appears.

Is there something I'm missing here?

Check to make sure that you are turning down the volume and holding it at "0" on the Plasma unit, not the remote control. Bruzzi's directions are easy to misinterpret since there is a "TV" mode button on the remote.
post #730 of 7216 Old 05-18-2006, 08:41 PM

Does anyone know if you can fast foward a DVR on the panasonic remote? Every other function works just fine???
post #731 of 7216 Old 05-18-2006, 10:33 PM

I've read a lot about "clay face", but I haven't really read what settings cause it. Is it the mode (cinema, standard, vivid) that makes a difference?

Also, I have a questions about these modes on the 50PX60U. If I set the Picture/Color/Brightness/etc settings the same on each mode (cinema, standard, vivid) would they give me the same picture or is each mode different?
post #732 of 7216 Old 05-18-2006, 10:35 PM
Ein
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docism View Post

Does anybody have any video or image links to sets that have bad image retention or burn ins... or is it like Big Foot?

Don't get paranoid, just watch it like a regular TV with reduced contrast and brightness for the first 100 hours. I accidentally left it on with 4:3 program for 6 hours and it didn't show any burnt-in. The side bars were gray. That might have helped.
post #733 of 7216 Old 05-19-2006, 02:50 AM

I have a question for you guys. I have had a 37" PX60U for a couple of months now. I'm feeding it via HDMI from 2 sources switched through a Yamaha HTR 5990 (with upconversion turned off). The 2 sources are a Denon 2910 - that upscales up to 1080i, and a HR10-250 that will put out up to 1080i - which can be a native signal depending on whether its from the OTA or sat.

My question is this - is there ANY reason at all to input 1080i into this TV since its native resolution is less than 1080i? My understanding is that the native is 768 which more closely scales to 720p. Right now I'm sending everything in 720p but wondering if there is any sane reason to send it a 1080i signal. I can't really tell any discernable difference, but I _think_ I can with some of the HDNET original programming - ala "Get Out" and "Equator" for example. I might be kidding myself.

Thanks.
post #734 of 7216 Old 05-19-2006, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megeed View Post

I have a couple of questions about image retention, or burn-in.

1) Is it true that the brighter the still object the greater the chance of IR?
2) Why is it that the when watching in 4x3 they say to use grey sides instead of black sides to prevent IR. I would assume the opposite.
3) Does Close caption effect IR?

Thank you.

1) Yes, the brighter area would dim faster than the darker pixels around it, which is what causes burn in.

2) Using grey side bars helps by having the side bars age while the middle shows content, therefore the whole display ages together.

3) I guess it could since the black boxes usually occur in the same location on the screen.

However, I wouldn't worry about it. I have watched shows in 4:3, movies in greater than 16:9, played video games and have seen no sign of burn-in. I didn't even wait til the 100 hr mark to do any of that. Just be smart about what you display.

Xbox: SchwedyBalz (Microsoft made me change it, again)
PS3: SchwettyBalz

Go Jackets!
Go Bolts!
post #735 of 7216 Old 05-19-2006, 05:55 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Has this turned into the Panasonic Burn-In thread ? I have never seen so much of the same information about burn-in on one thread. Where is the thread about the Panasonic 60U's as a whole?
Thanks,
Glenee

Nothing's Perfect So Stop Expecting It ! Glenee

post #736 of 7216 Old 05-19-2006, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
After viewing the HDNET pattern I found that 1080i gave me marginally better resolution than 720p when using my Direct TV HDPVR. It may matter what resolution the station is using. Sharpness at -11 gave me the best line resolution for this pattern.

I use 1280p from my PC with good reuslts as well.

I think the issue will be the scaler. No matter what you do with the 60U series the input will be scaled. It will not accept a pixel to pixel match.
post #737 of 7216 Old 05-19-2006, 02:50 PM

I had just about convinced me wife of the need for a new TV. Unfortunatley, some dastard soul suggested that there would be minimun value since our current cable supplier does not provide any HD content, and hence most of our SD programing would not be any larger than our current 32" Panasonic tube TV.

So, how wide are the bars on the sides of a SD broadcast? Would the image size appear to be really disapponting?

Thanks
post #738 of 7216 Old 05-19-2006, 03:26 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbooth View Post

So, how wide are the bars on the sides of a SD broadcast? Would the image size appear to be really disapponting?

The bars will be approximately 4 inches wide each for a 4:3 broadcast. The image will be approximately 30 inches diagonal. You can always stretch it with JUST mode to fill the screen.

By the way, most network stations broadcast HD over the air in 4:3. It is not just SD that is 4:3.

Personally, the best reason to get a new wide-screen TV is to watch DVD's. They look stunning on my 42-incher!
post #739 of 7216 Old 05-19-2006, 03:44 PM

Just got a 50px60.

I have Cox cable with a Motorola 6412 DVR hooked up to the TV via component
I also have a DVD player (non-upconverting, cheapo from Target, don't recall the brand) hooked up via component (used a 1 video +2 audio cables, audio cables are thinner)

What aspect mode should I use while viewing SD cable? For the HD channels (non-encrypted), if I use "full", will I get bars when a commercial goes on?

While viewing widescreen DVDs, I still get a letter box. Is this because I don't have an upconverting DVD or due to my cables?
post #740 of 7216 Old 05-19-2006, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beto3645 View Post

By the way, most network stations broadcast HD over the air in 4:3. It is not just SD that is 4:3.

I don't know if this is a language mis-communication or if you really mean that "network stations broadcast HD over the air in 4:3."

All HD programing is broadcast in a 16:9 format. There are shows that are broadcast by the networks (many reality shows, for instance) in a 4:3 format, but they are not in HD.
post #741 of 7216 Old 05-19-2006, 05:50 PM

ok, I know that there's a separate DVD players forum, but what are you guys using to play your dvd's with?

I'm anxiously awaiting my PX60U and trying to figure out if my Zenith 318B is still any good.

thanks
post #742 of 7216 Old 05-19-2006, 06:17 PM

1st post here, but I've been lurking here for months. Thanks to all the great advice here at AVS, I've finally gotten an 50PX60U and I'm ready to break it in, calibrate, then enjoy. However, I think I might have a defective model. I set it up last night, turned it to Cinema mode, turned down the brightness/picture, then popped in Evangelo2's break in DVD. On the very color, I noticed a very vague horizontal "bar" running across the middle of the screen. It's easier to see when the shades are lighter, but it's definitely there. Does anybody else have this problem? Did I get a defective one? I've taken some poor quality pics with my cell, but you should be able to see the problem. Thanks again for the advice!
LL
LL
LL
post #743 of 7216 Old 05-19-2006, 06:26 PM

Jambaa, you should be covered under warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by directcj View Post

Just got a 50px60.

I also have a DVD player (non-upconverting, cheapo from Target, don't recall the brand) hooked up via component (used a 1 video +2 audio cables, audio cables are thinner)

What aspect mode should I use while viewing SD cable? For the HD channels (non-encrypted), if I use "full", will I get bars when a commercial goes on?

While viewing widescreen DVDs, I still get a letter box. Is this because I don't have an upconverting DVD or due to my cables?

For a completely undistorted picture, watch SD cable in 4:3 mode, but I watch SD in Just mode to fill the screen because about 67% of my viewing is SD cable. Watch HD in Full mode. Most commercials will have black bars, but most of INHD's commercials are 16:9.

Widescreen DVDs will usually be letterboxed unless you switch the tv to Zoom. There has been a lot of talk about this on the forum lately.
post #744 of 7216 Old 05-20-2006, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by directcj View Post

I'm not familiar with the Motorola box, but if you can, set it to PASSTHROUGH all modes (480i, 720p, 1080i, etc.) rather than just outputting one (say 1080i). Two reasons to do this: First, the TV will keep switching back to FULL when you first power on the TV and tune to a channel if you are only outputting 1080i, because it will think it is 16:9 HD. If you have the box output all the modes the TV will remember your preferred settings (eg. display 480i in JUST, 720p in FULL, 1080i in FULL, etc.). The second reason is that you let the TV do the scaling one time, rather than have the box do it, and then the TV do it again to get it to the native resolution.

I would recommend JUST for SD programming. It does distort the left and right edges of the picture, but you get a bigger image and no sidebars.

DVD movies sometimes will have small sidebars, because films are not typically shot in exactly 16:9 or 4:3. There are a couple other popular aspect ratios for films (which I can't recall off hand - 1.72:1 rings a bell...) so you still may have thin bars at the top and bottom of the screen.
post #745 of 7216 Old 05-20-2006, 07:42 AM

Also don't forget that you might have to go into the DVD player set-up menu and resize the screen, set the type of outputs, etc. Forgot to do that on my Toshiba PS player, now Ronin looks great!
post #746 of 7216 Old 05-20-2006, 09:11 AM

Can people using this family of displays with Comcast cable comment on their experiences with SD PQ? How about users of other cable services and DSS?

I am using the 37" with the Motorola DCT3412 I DVR box on Comcast, Schaumburg. SD is total crap. Looking at Fox Soccer Channel right now and the PQ is horrible - lots fuzziness, and noise around images. I tried to tweak the STB, but that didn't work. How badly should SD PQ degrade on these TVs compared to a CRT? The SD doesn't look too bad if I bypass the box and go straight into the QAM tuner. What is the reputation of the Pana TV tuners? I know that the box is causing some compression problems because it is digitizing these signal, but I don't expect it to be this bad.

Anyway, the Comcast guy just left. We tried everything - including an amplifier. I don't think there was much improvement. He said that my signals are fine 5dBm on the lows 0.7dBm on the highs although I had 12 dBm at the entry point to the building, which houses 4 condos. I am thinking of switching to WOW or DSS. Is it worth it? Please give me your feedback. Thanks.
post #747 of 7216 Old 05-20-2006, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
After RGB calibration in SM for warm and alldrive set to FC per manual directions my settings are

B=6
C=17

with color -3
sharpness = -8

Warm = temp (6475 +/- 50.)
Cinema

The comments I have seen about red push as cause of red shift are not correct. Proper Temperature setting gives good colors for all. Warm temp was 6200 +/- 300 before I started. 6200 would give a red hue.

Setting the RGB and Alldrive per service manul permitted me to increase contrast and dcrease brightness (HDNET pattern). Picture is now very very good with HDTV via DSS and off the air.
post #748 of 7216 Old 05-20-2006, 10:06 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOBE View Post

I don't know if this is a language mis-communication or if you really mean that "network stations broadcast HD over the air in 4:3."

All HD programing is broadcast in a 16:9 format. There are shows that are broadcast by the networks (many reality shows, for instance) in a 4:3 format, but they are not in HD.

I may be wrong about this and you are probably right. I got rid of my antenna when I found that I could get ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, and PBS in HD through cable without a STB. I think I am getting the same HD signals through cable as I would get over the air from these stations.

When I tune into these stations after the TV has been off, they come in 4:3. Faces seem to be natural, not elongated or fattened. I assumed that to be the "transmitted" aspect ratio of the signal, which is probably an unwarranted assumption.

Is there a way to verify what is the "native" aspect ratio of the transmitted signal?
post #749 of 7216 Old 05-20-2006, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jambaa View Post

1st post here, but I've been lurking here for months. Thanks to all the great advice here at AVS, I've finally gotten an 50PX60U and I'm ready to break it in, calibrate, then enjoy. However, I think I might have a defective model. I set it up last night, turned it to Cinema mode, turned down the brightness/picture, then popped in Evangelo2's break in DVD. On the very color, I noticed a very vague horizontal "bar" running across the middle of the screen. It's easier to see when the shades are lighter, but it's definitely there. Does anybody else have this problem? Did I get a defective one? I've taken some poor quality pics with my cell, but you should be able to see the problem. Thanks again for the advice!

Sorry to post again so soon, but I'm hoping to get some more feedback regarding my situation. I can bring the TV back for an exchange, but I want to be sure that I'm not overreacting. If some panny owners can please chime in on whether or not they have the same situation, I'd really appreciate it. The pictures are a couple of posts up. Thanks!
post #750 of 7216 Old 05-20-2006, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jambaa View Post

Sorry to post again so soon, but I'm hoping to get some more feedback regarding my situation. I can bring the TV back for an exchange, but I want to be sure that I'm not overreacting. If some panny owners can please chime in on whether or not they have the same situation, I'd really appreciate it. The pictures are a couple of posts up. Thanks!

If it is the same horizontal line that is noticable on some PV500's it is because the domestic TV's use 2 high density electronic circuitry to scan the upper and lower part of the screen.

In the Uk with the PV500's how noticable it was seemed to vary from not at all to similar to yours.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Th 58px60u 58 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Th 42px600u 42 Plasma Hdtv Television , Panasonic Th50px600u 50 Inch Plasma Flat Panel Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page