Official Panasonic PX60/600 Tweaking, Settings, Issues, Technical Thread! - Page 34 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #991 of 7216 Old 06-23-2006, 06:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Got a 600U - I've never had PIP before and I get it that it doesn't work with the HDMI cable on this set, so I've got a component cable going as a backup for this - but here's the deal - It automatically defaults to the TV input on the right screen (which I don't have a cable set up for) Do I need to set up a coaxial cable to make this work or is there another option (go to other tuner on my HD Direct TV tuner). thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 7216 Old 06-23-2006, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avjeff View Post

I just picked up this Monster ScreenClean kit. Anyone else ever try this? It has a microfiber cloth and cleaning solution. I'm just wanting to make sure it doesn't damage the screen or cause the set to detonate. The cloth is kind of strange too, feels like its catching on my fingers. It's a perfect size for my set though.

I picked up the Monster kit too. I wouldn't use the solution on the 60U too often. Only if you can't get something off with just the dry cloth.
post #993 of 7216 Old 06-24-2006, 11:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 242
I've searched this thread and haven't found anything...has anyone figured out yet how to adjust the horizontal/vertical position of the picture on the 60u/600u?
post #994 of 7216 Old 06-25-2006, 06:24 AM
VFR
AVS Special Member

New firmware available for px600--ver. 1.75

http://www.pasctraining.panasonic.co...downloads1.asp
post #995 of 7216 Old 06-25-2006, 07:03 AM
adm

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFR View Post

Thanks for the posting.

Minor question for those of us who may not have previously addressed a firmware update (Forgive me in advance if the answer is contained in the download): How does one go about doing it?

..Mark
post #996 of 7216 Old 06-25-2006, 07:21 AM
VFR
AVS Special Member

Its done with an SD card.If you have a card writer you can download it yourself.Follow the instructions on the page I posted.If your not comfortable downloading it you could call panasonic and have it mailed to you or they may just send out a tech to do it.Its pretty straight forward to do yourself,a card writer can be picked up for like $20.

One note of caution is that most seem to follow the rule "If it ain't broke don't fix it".In other words if you aren't experiencing any problems, there isn't any need to upgrade.
post #997 of 7216 Old 06-25-2006, 09:39 AM

I just got a 42px600u a few days back, and I have a couple questions. First, what aspect setting do you prefer when watching standard broadcasting. I'm having a hard time getting used to the "squished" people look and I don't like the borders of 4:3. Second, suppose I have the TV set to "Just", if I go to an HD program, will it correct itself to the proper ratio for HD or do I have to change the settings. Third, what does C.A.T.S., color mng., 3d y/c filter, and color matrix do? Oh, yeah, I'm still looking for that "perfect" video setting so if anyone has one they really like, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks
post #998 of 7216 Old 06-25-2006, 11:14 AM

You were actually right. My 50PX60U is also extremely crappy on OTA. Compared to OTA on my Dell plasma HDTV and RCA 38" direct-view HDTV, Panasonic is far worse with a lot visual artifacts: clay face, false contouring and gigsawing around moving objects. It's not compressing in transmission but decompressing in Panasonic set. Static image is ok (still lacks details compared to the other two I own) but moving images are just horrible.

================

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ein View Post

Just hooked up my HD DVD player to the 50"60U. The PQ is incredible.

For the past few weeks I was only able to watch HD sources from OTA and DirecTV. All the shows and movies I have watched showed some form of clay face/false contouring. I thought problem might be inherent in the new Panasonics. I was wrong.

If you do see clay face, blame it on compression (garbage in garbage out). I was watching Van Helsing tonight and trying my best to find any form of false contouring (even in very dark scenes) and I just could not find any.

If you want to see how good the new Panasonics is, get either a HD DVD or a Blu-ray player.

post #999 of 7216 Old 06-25-2006, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xphan99 View Post

You were actually right. My 50PX60U is also extremely crappy on OTA. Compared to OTA on my Dell plasma HDTV and RCA 38" direct-view HDTV, Panasonic is far worse with a lot visual artifacts: clay face, false contouring and gigsawing around moving objects. It's not compressing in transmission but decompressing in Panasonic set. Static image is ok (still lacks details compared to the other two I own) but moving images are just horrible.

================

My experience is the opposite. DT and HD OTA look better than my DISH feed. In fact, the HD, in general, is better than the DISH HD, best I've seen on my set. Not sure why you are experiencing such these issues.
post #1000 of 7216 Old 06-25-2006, 02:27 PM
Advanced Member

I have OTA and upconverted DVD, no cable or satelite. My picture on a panny 42 hd is stunning. Watching the World Cup was astounding. Sounds like either a bad set or bad feed to me.

As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

My Momma didn't raise no fools! We raised ourselves!
post #1001 of 7216 Old 06-25-2006, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Mxyzptlk View Post

I just got a 42px600u a few days back, and I have a couple questions. First, what aspect setting do you prefer when watching standard broadcasting. I'm having a hard time getting used to the "squished" people look and I don't like the borders of 4:3. Second, suppose I have the TV set to "Just", if I go to an HD program, will it correct itself to the proper ratio for HD or do I have to change the settings. Third, what does C.A.T.S., color mng., 3d y/c filter, and color matrix do? Oh, yeah, I'm still looking for that "perfect" video setting so if anyone has one they really like, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks

I use H-Fill...which is usually done by just pressing "Aspect" one time when watching digital source material (not HD).
post #1002 of 7216 Old 06-25-2006, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked2023 View Post

Got a 600U - I've never had PIP before and I get it that it doesn't work with the HDMI cable on this set, so I've got a component cable going as a backup for this - but here's the deal - It automatically defaults to the TV input on the right screen (which I don't have a cable set up for) Do I need to set up a coaxial cable to make this work or is there another option (go to other tuner on my HD Direct TV tuner). thanks.

After pressing the "Split" button, just cycle through the inputs by hitting the "TV/Video" button. If it changes the source of the wrong side....hit "Swap" then cycle through the inputs. Normally hitting "TV/Video" while in PIP changes the source of the right side.

And it really sucks that HDMI doesn't work as a source for PIP
post #1003 of 7216 Old 06-25-2006, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbonds View Post

After pressing the "Split" button, just cycle through the inputs by hitting the "TV/Video" button. If it changes the source of the wrong side....hit "Swap" then cycle through the inputs. Normally hitting "TV/Video" while in PIP changes the source of the right side.

Maybe Panasonic could make a firmware upgrade to fix that.
post #1004 of 7216 Old 06-26-2006, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFR View Post

I read on this site that it's upgrading firmware for CableCard, but what exactly is it fixing? Anyone know....
post #1005 of 7216 Old 06-26-2006, 08:31 AM

Nevermind. Called Panasonic Plasma Concierge and the guy said that some people were experiencing "Upgrade Firmware" messages when using the CableCard, and couldn't get out of that message screen. I haven't personally experienced any problems with my CableCard so I'll stick to the above "if it isn't broke, don't fix it".

Also asked about any future firmware to allow HDMI for PIP and he said, "Nope"....said they had the same questions last year for the 500 series. Oh well.....
post #1006 of 7216 Old 06-26-2006, 01:19 PM

Hello all.

I got my 60U a few week ago and so far I've been very pleased with the set. I have 8300HD connected to it using component cables. I also have ReplayTv connected to to 8300HD and 60U using S-video cables.

I have a couple of questions:

1. I can't get CC to display directly from 8300HD no matter what settings I try. If I watch TV through ReplayTV CC work fine (but of course I can't get HD this way). Is this because I am using component cables from 8300HD to the TV? Would upgrading to HDMI solve this issue?

2. When viewing images from SD card pictures are only displayed in the central portion of the screen. I realize you can't display 4:3 images on a 16:9 set without distortion but I expected that they would at least use the entire vertical resolution. Is there any way to get images to display fullscreen?
post #1007 of 7216 Old 06-26-2006, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajax_d View Post

Hello all.

I got my 60U a few week ago and so far I've been very pleased with the set. I have 8300HD connected to it using component cables. I also have ReplayTv connected to to 8300HD and 60U using S-video cables.

I have a couple of questions:

1. I can't get CC to display directly from 8300HD no matter what settings I try. If I watch TV through ReplayTV CC work fine (but of course I can't get HD this way). Is this because I am using component cables from 8300HD to the TV? Would upgrading to HDMI solve this issue?

2. When viewing images from SD card pictures are only displayed in the central portion of the screen. I realize you can't display 4:3 images on a 16:9 set without distortion but I expected that they would at least use the entire vertical resolution. Is there any way to get images to display fullscreen?

^^ They're both VERY good questions, answers to which I'm interested in.
post #1008 of 7216 Old 06-27-2006, 12:39 PM

I am geting a th-50px60 tonight and it should be delivered tommorow or the next day so im wondering whats the best settings are for break in period, i know this could be in the master thread but i figured it fit this thread. i know it depends on my house lighting but just some suggestions on to keep the settings below x number.
post #1009 of 7216 Old 06-27-2006, 12:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 38
The white-paper published by Panasonic suggests that you keep it at 50% or below, which corresponds to a value of "0" on the PX60's. I had it set to zero for pic and bright in Cinema mode for about the first 100 hours, although during daytime viewing that was too dark so i pushed it up to about +7pic and +3bright so that I could enjoy the picture. For reference, the set came out of the box at +15pic on Standard mode and +25pic on Vivid (i think).
post #1010 of 7216 Old 06-27-2006, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdogg320 View Post

I am geting a th-50px60 tonight and it should be delivered tommorow or the next day so im wondering whats the best settings are for break in period, i know this could be in the master thread but i figured it fit this thread. i know it depends on my house lighting but just some suggestions on to keep the settings below x number.

Just make sure Picture is below +5. If contrast is set any higher you will likely see some image retention. Standard mode is fine.
post #1011 of 7216 Old 06-27-2006, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbonds View Post

Not sure why, but this doesn't work for some reason. After I split the screens, pressing the TV/Input button does nothing - it just stays on the TV snow input I'm not using. I tried swapping the sides etc, but still nothing happens (except I think it may scale up the channles 3,4,5 etc.) I running this feed off the Component FYI. thanks for your help.
post #1012 of 7216 Old 06-28-2006, 01:16 AM

Somehow, I've lost the ability to use the sleep mode (and change time on the clock). I recall when I first got the TV, when I pressed the "sleep" button, it showed different time durations in red text...now it does nothing. On top of that, when I access both the timer and the clock from the menu, everything is "greyed out" implying that it's not accessible. I must have changed something, but I have no idea what. I couldn't find anything in the manual. I'm using a cable card in. Any thoughts?
post #1013 of 7216 Old 06-28-2006, 09:57 AM

Does the 600u have a built-in timer we can access to see how many hours we have logged on the set? If so, how can it be accessed. Thanks
post #1014 of 7216 Old 06-28-2006, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Mxyzptlk View Post

Does the 600u have a built-in timer we can access to see how many hours we have logged on the set? If so, how can it be accessed. Thanks

You can find directions here:

http://www.bruzzi.ws/plasma-faq/showthread.php?t=81

Be sure of what you are doing, since you will be accessing the service menu to do this.
post #1015 of 7216 Old 06-28-2006, 10:12 AM

Sunday I am having the set calibrated by Gregg Loewen. Has anybody had this set calibrated and did it really improve the picture a lot?
post #1016 of 7216 Old 06-28-2006, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

mconstant, please post what you think of the caliberation afterwards.
post #1017 of 7216 Old 06-28-2006, 12:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by futurepannyowner View Post

Just make sure Picture is below +5. If contrast is set any higher you will likely see some image retention. Standard mode is fine.

I've had these settings (from AVIA) from day 1:

Picture +12
Bright +5
Color -2
Tint -5
Sharp -3

no image retention problems here. I've seen guys with the picture set up to +20 and playing video games have image retention problems.

The Weekend Warriors
post #1018 of 7216 Old 06-28-2006, 12:42 PM

"Plasma TV Buying Guide" after after an ISF-calibration highly suggests that, if you own a Panasonic TH-50PX60U, you imitate the folloowing picture settings:

Picture Mode Standard
Picture +22
Brightness +8
Color -1
Tint -4
Sharpness -14
Color Temperature Warm
Enhanced Black Level Off

After break-in - of course

Linky:
http://www.*******************.com/p...0u-review.html
post #1019 of 7216 Old 06-28-2006, 02:14 PM

If I set my plasma to +22 Picture and +8 Brightness I would need to wear sunglasses and I'm pretty sure I'd get sunburned.
post #1020 of 7216 Old 06-28-2006, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 197
They tell people to use those settings so the Plasma will burn out quicker and then they can sell you another one!
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Th 58px60u 58 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Th 42px600u 42 Plasma Hdtv Television , Panasonic Th50px600u 50 Inch Plasma Flat Panel Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page