Official Panasonic PX60/600 Tweaking, Settings, Issues, Technical Thread! - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 7216 Old 04-08-2006, 08:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have noticed a great deal of difference in the volume between stations on my TH50PX60U. I am on comcast cable using component input and have turned on the AI setting under audio, but it doesn't seem to make any difference. I have also noticed that with surround sound on, the surround volume is louder than the voice, making it almost imposssible to understand dialog. When I use my A/V rcvr everything is great. Has anyone else experienced the same thing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 7216 Old 04-08-2006, 12:22 PM
Advanced Member

Can anyone confirm that 720p/1080i signals can now be stretched (ie. JUST) with the PX60/600 models.
post #183 of 7216 Old 04-08-2006, 12:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I had Time Warner out this morning to set up a SA 8300HD DVR on my Panny TH50PX60U. Being new to the AV world I have a question that some of you experienced folks might be able to answer.

In Full Screen Mode there is a ½ inch black bar running along the far left side of the TV as if the picture is not centered correctly. As full screen would be our preferred way to watch TV, I am concerned that that area of the TV will eventually burn-in. I noticed the problem while the tech was here and he tried another 8300 box and the black bar was still there, so he assumed that the TV needed some kind of adjustment. Further complicating this oddity is that there is no problem when viewing as TV from just the cable input, but reappears on component or HDMI.
After the tech left, I set the TV to 4:3 mode and measured the distance from each end of the picture to the TV's frame and they are equal. I have tried a different set of component cables and also HDMI and that black bar remains in full screen mode.

Obviously I am trying to run down whether it is the TV that needs an adjustment and would require a service call, or whether perhaps batches of the SA8300HD boxes are faulty.

An input here would be greatly appreciated.
post #184 of 7216 Old 04-08-2006, 12:58 PM

how long does it take your guys 60us to power on? it takes me around 2 seconds and a screen blip and then all is normal
post #185 of 7216 Old 04-08-2006, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodlum View Post

Can anyone confirm that 720p/1080i signals can now be stretched (ie. JUST) with the PX60/600 models.

I can confirm it for you (I own the 42px60u). HD can be stretched with just, zoom, wide, 4:3...

dukmahsik said " how long does it take your guys 60us to power on? it takes me around 2 seconds and a screen blip and then all is normal

Same here. It seems normal for a couple seconds power on time.

QUESTION: For the recall button, I watch alot of OTA TV, has anyone been able to find out if its possible to adjust the recall settings? I want the TV to display the entire recall TV title and program info while switching channels as opposed to the smaller box with just the channel #. Anyone? Seems very strange why this can't be adjusted. It's nice knowing what's on TV on that channel when it is on commercial while channel surfing.
post #186 of 7216 Old 04-08-2006, 01:11 PM

Hi guys...new user here.

I'm loving the 37PX60U I picked up last night. It's a phenomenal jump from the 21" Sony CRT I was using for the past eight years. Does anyone know if there is a version of break-in DVD floating that can be burned on a Mac? I can't get it to burn in either Popcorn or Toast...

As for the 37PX60U, it's an awesome display. I'm currently viewing everything in fullscreen mode, with a lot of varied content (mostly in the form of movies) for the break-in hours. In addition, I have picture and brightdown down to -15 each.

One thing I will be doing once the 100 hours are finished is playing PS2 and XBOX with this TV. I've read a lot of varying opinions and articles about playing videogames on a plasma, but what's the truth behind this? Will a 3 hour gaming session with a static "health" bar, for example, burn the TV permanently? Or will it leave a bit of image retention that will go away in a few hours?

BTW, this forum is incredible. I've lurked on here for several weeks, reading the opinions and thoughts of members on all the different TVs. It helped monumentally in my purchase. Thanks guys!
post #187 of 7216 Old 04-08-2006, 01:24 PM

i think a 3 hour gaming session will be fine imo, picture and bright at -15 is just too much imo, 0 is fine for breakin
post #188 of 7216 Old 04-08-2006, 02:18 PM

Can anyone with a 42px60u who has tried to connect it to a pc via dvi->hdmi input report their findings?
-How was the overal end result - Perfect Aspect ratio with sharp text?
-What resolution did you end up feeding the display?
-What video card did you use?

I have searched for about an hour through the two panasonic 60u/600u threads and so far have only heard one person with the 50px60u reporting very good results by connecting it to a pc via dvi-> hdmi input. Since the 42px60u has rectangular pixels, I wondering if you can achive similar results.
I am about to pull the trigger on the 42px60u and the only thing holding me back is the concern how well a pc input via dvi->hdmi will look on this display.
post #189 of 7216 Old 04-08-2006, 02:49 PM

Anyone playing DVD's on these panasonics with the Oppo DVD player? How's the upscaling?
post #190 of 7216 Old 04-08-2006, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSpade19 View Post

Can anyone with a 42px60u who has tried to connect it to a pc via dvi->hdmi input report their findings?
-How was the overal end result - Perfect Aspect ratio with sharp text?
-What resolution did you end up feeding the display?
-What video card did you use?

I have searched for about an hour through the two panasonic 60u/600u threads and so far have only heard one person with the 50px60u reporting very good results by connecting it to a pc via dvi-> hdmi input. Since the 42px60u has rectangular pixels, I wondering if you can achive similar results.
I am about to pull the trigger on the 42px60u and the only thing holding me back is the concern how well a pc input via dvi->hdmi will look on this display.

sspade, i have preliminary results with my desktop feeding the set dvi->hdmi w/ 6800GT. i'm in the process of building my HTPC (7300GS) and will post an update when that is done. however, the set accepts 1280x720 via the 6800GT without a problem. text and color look good when using as secondary monitor in windows XP, probably even better as primary. i also tried feeding 1024x768 (which did not look good for some reason, more blurry), and i also tried feeding 1280x768 which did not look good either. 1280x720 looked the best.... again these are preliminary results, but i tried some movies and dvd and it looked good. text is a little bit blurry because of the non-native. i will post more results later.

p.s. there is about 2-5% overscan on the HDMI input. i haven't tried to adjust this away with my driver settings but i'm sure it's possible with an nvidia card.
post #191 of 7216 Old 04-08-2006, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rojo_P View Post

I had Time Warner out this morning to set up a SA 8300HD DVR on my Panny TH50PX60U. Being new to the AV world I have a question that some of you experienced folks might be able to answer.

In Full Screen Mode there is a ½ inch black bar running along the far left side of the TV as if the picture is not centered correctly. As full screen would be our preferred way to watch TV, I am concerned that that area of the TV will eventually burn-in. I noticed the problem while the tech was here and he tried another 8300 box and the black bar was still there, so he assumed that the TV needed some kind of adjustment. Further complicating this oddity is that there is no problem when viewing as TV from just the cable input, but reappears on component or HDMI.
After the tech left, I set the TV to 4:3 mode and measured the distance from each end of the picture to the TV's frame and they are equal. I have tried a different set of component cables and also HDMI and that black bar remains in full screen mode.

Obviously I am trying to run down whether it is the TV that needs an adjustment and would require a service call, or whether perhaps batches of the SA8300HD boxes are faulty.

An input here would be greatly appreciated.

There might be a adjustment in you box menu to shift the picture. Go to the setup menu of your cable box and check there. Also you can check if there is a horizontal or vertical adjustments in the panasonic menu's. I am not familiar with your model plasma but i would think you should be able to correct the issue somehow.

Go Phillies! Go Eagles! Go Sixers! Go Flyers!
post #192 of 7216 Old 04-08-2006, 08:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tingham View Post

There might be a adjustment in you box menu to shift the picture. Go to the setup menu of your cable box and check there. Also you can check if there is a horizontal or vertical adjustments in the panasonic menu's. I am not familiar with your model plasma but i would think you should be able to correct the issue somehow.

I have found no way to adjust from the cable box, and the plasma has no menus for such an adjustment.

Another oddity is that this is happening only on the SD channels 2 through 75 with component input, and not the digital/premium channels.

Looks like if I don't find an answer I will need to watch regular TV by setting the plasma to "TV" with the cable input, and if I want to watch a premium channel I'll need to set the plasma to component.
post #193 of 7216 Old 04-08-2006, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rojo_P View Post

I have found no way to adjust from the cable box, and the plasma has no menus for such an adjustment.

Another oddity is that this is happening only on the SD channels 2 through 75 with component input, and not the digital/premium channels.

Looks like if I don't find an answer I will need to watch regular TV by setting the plasma to "TV" with the cable input, and if I want to watch a premium channel I'll need to set the plasma to component.

I think I might have a similar issue...though I am running the 37" model. When I briefly had my PS2 hooked up via S-Video on Video 2, I noticed that on "Full" mode there was about an inch of vertical black bars on both the left and right. As if the screen can't fully stretch it out. The PS2's settings are set to 16:9.

There's definitely nothing in the menus about adjusting the picture for this, but perhaps there's something in the service menus? It doesn't bother me that much, but I do find it a bit odd.
post #194 of 7216 Old 04-08-2006, 10:25 PM

Okay, so the "Just" mode works well with analog channels, and doesn't do too well with digital signals.

It seems that HD channels and other digital stations the "Just"mode simply pulls everything out in a sloppy fashion. But shows on the lower analog chanels look much more like the commercial panels -- they really keep the center untouched while feathering the side panels out fully.

Is there a way for force the "Just"mode to work correctly with all signals?
post #195 of 7216 Old 04-09-2006, 12:43 AM

i've some some bad news about my 42px60u. it seems there is a defect. this is regarding off the air broadcast in the l.a. area. when watching OTA intermittently (maybe once or twice over 6 hours) and sometimes much more often, certain channels like 4.1 or 9.1 or 13.1 when tuned into will say poor signal quality with a blank screen. when i check signal strength on the channel it reads 80% + depending. the only way to resolve this is to rescan channels, forcing me to readd favorites and redo the channel list. i'm at a loss to explain why this is happening. the other two digital tv's in my house do not have this problem. also, analog seems unaffected, only digital stations. i'm on my 2nd week of purchase and am now considering a return or exchange.
post #196 of 7216 Old 04-09-2006, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dano1122 View Post

sspade, i have preliminary results with my desktop feeding the set dvi->hdmi w/ 6800GT. i'm in the process of building my HTPC (7300GS) and will post an update when that is done. however, the set accepts 1280x720 via the 6800GT without a problem. text and color look good when using as secondary monitor in windows XP, probably even better as primary. i also tried feeding 1024x768 (which did not look good for some reason, more blurry), and i also tried feeding 1280x768 which did not look good either. 1280x720 looked the best.... again these are preliminary results, but i tried some movies and dvd and it looked good. text is a little bit blurry because of the non-native. i will post more results later.

p.s. there is about 2-5% overscan on the HDMI input. i haven't tried to adjust this away with my driver settings but i'm sure it's possible with an nvidia card.

Dano1122,

I'm just going through these forums because I am considering purchasing the 50PX600U when it becomes available (want cablecard, hate STB). I'm surprised to hear you say that 1280x720 looks the best as the native resolution of the screen is 1366x768. Can your video card output 1366x768 and the panasonic won't take it? I don't have any hands on experience with PC->HD/Plasma connectivity so forgive me if I am missing something obvious.
post #197 of 7216 Old 04-09-2006, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukmahsik View Post

how long does it take your guys 60us to power on? it takes me around 2 seconds and a screen blip and then all is normal

I would say my 50px60u takes about 2 seconds also, but no blip.
post #198 of 7216 Old 04-09-2006, 10:10 AM

after the 100 hr mark, is it safe to view widescreen DVDs that are not 1.85:1 ratio? let's say I want to watch LOTR extended editions for 3.5 hours straight with black bars top and bottom, is that okay?
post #199 of 7216 Old 04-09-2006, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukmahsik View Post

after the 100 hr mark, is it safe to view widescreen DVDs that are not 1.85:1 ratio? let's say I want to watch LOTR extended editions for 3.5 hours straight with black bars top and bottom, is that okay?

I'd be interested in knowing this myself.

I figure these are 9th generation panels. The break-in is a smart idea, but these panels (at least in theory), should be more rugged and less prone to burn-in than older generations. But hey, I'm a noob and by no means an expert.
post #200 of 7216 Old 04-09-2006, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DingoDaddy View Post

Dano1122,

I'm just going through these forums because I am considering purchasing the 50PX600U when it becomes available (want cablecard, hate STB). I'm surprised to hear you say that 1280x720 looks the best as the native resolution of the screen is 1366x768. Can your video card output 1366x768 and the panasonic won't take it? I don't have any hands on experience with PC->HD/Plasma connectivity so forgive me if I am missing something obvious.

i have a 42px60u
post #201 of 7216 Old 04-09-2006, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXG8OR View Post

I would say my 50px60u takes about 2 seconds also, but no blip.

hmm stop trying to make me worry
post #202 of 7216 Old 04-09-2006, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dano1122 View Post

i have a 42px60u

Doh! After all that reading I didn't pay attention. Scanned the 50PX60U in the posting and associated that as your set.
post #203 of 7216 Old 04-09-2006, 12:29 PM

After about 140 hours of use of my new Th-37px60u (sped up by leaving it on overnight and while Im not watching otherwise playing the break-in SVCD) I calibrated with DVE last night. This is my first effort with DVE and would appreciate any suggestions or clear errors in my settings.

I calibrated in Cinema mode. Is there any inherent difference among the various modes? or are they just 3 separate default settings you can use for varying content or time of day?

I also calibrated late at night with all of my lights off in order to mimic my likely viewing environment for DVDs.

Here is what I came up with:

Picture: +5
Brightness: -9
Color: -6
Tint: -8
Sharpness: -10
Color Temp: Normal
Color Mng: Off
Video NR: Off
MPEG nr: Off
Black Level: Light

For daytime television viewing this morning I adjusted the Standard Mode with the same levels as above except I bumped Picture up to +15 and Brightness up to -5 just by eyeballing it.

Also I think I noticed some pretty bad overscan while looking at one of the 1.78 patterns on DVE, Title 12, Chapter 19: 1.78:1 Anamorphic Geometry screen. I am looking at the full image to compare what I'm seeing on screen from the website: http://www.videoessentials.com/docs/...sumer_NTSC.pdf page 44.

I can only see the top half of the text on the lower right half that reads: 720 x 469 = 1.85:1 and the lower left corner is completely offscreen that reads: 720 x 486, I see no sign of it whatsoever. Also I only see the slightest bit of text from the upper left corner 720x469 not even enough to read what the numbers are. From the left and right, the vertical lines with the arrows are pretty much at the end of the screen with maybe 1/4" visible beyond those lines. There is no sign of the triangular "hatchings" on the left or right ends of the screen or on the top or bottom.

My DVD player is a pretty old Panasonic S-35 and is connected via Component.

So my questions are as follows:
1. Do my levels seem correct? I've never calibrated like this before and I know that all TVs are slightly different and environments affect it, and it's all dependent on what looks good to my eye. But do these levels seem too low? Should the Black Level be set to Dark? I imagine that if I were to recalibrate with the Black Level set to Dark it would raise a lot of my levels. Is this a good course to follow?

2. Is the overscan that I'm experiencing something I should be concerned about? Is there a way to fix it?

Thanks.
post #204 of 7216 Old 04-09-2006, 03:02 PM

I have a TH-42px60u connected to a SA 8300HD PVR via the HDMI connector. Everything seems to be working fine (and I'm very impressed with the picture quality) except for a few second delay when changing channels. The picture for the new channel is displayed immediately if the original channel and the new channel are outputting the same signal format (for example 1080i to 1080i). However, when I switch to a channel outputting a different signal format (for example 480i to 1080i) the set seems to take a few seconds to lock on to the new signal and displays a blank screen until it does. On two occassions, it was never able to lock on to the new channel and I had to turn the set off and then back on again to get a display.

Is this normal?

Thanks in advance for your help.
post #205 of 7216 Old 04-09-2006, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

(I posted this on the other thread by mistake)
I thought I'd add these settings to the mix.

I helped to set up my friends 42" 60U last night.
The settings we wound up on were as follows... (from what I can remember)

Mode: Standard
Picture: +9
Brightness: -10
Color: -5
Tint -2
Sharpness: -10
Color Temp: Normal
Color Mgr: Off
Video NR: Off
MPEG NR: Off
Black Level: Light

These were set in a very dark room using DVE.
Skin tones were smooth and natural with no clayface or false contouring. There was no softness to the image even at -10 on sharpness. There was no graininess to the image. It looked great!

As is mentioned above... we too were experiencing quite a bit of overscan, and while able to correct vertically, there didn't seem to be a horizontal correction.

Good luck y'all.

shane

"Yes Eve... I like to watch." - Chauncey Gardener.

My HT Setup:
http://www.fototime.com/A0E2793180FB3D0/orig.jpg
post #206 of 7216 Old 04-09-2006, 03:54 PM

How did you correct vertical overscan?
post #207 of 7216 Old 04-09-2006, 03:59 PM

what exactly is overscan??
post #208 of 7216 Old 04-09-2006, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Faillace View Post

I have a TH-42px60u connected to a SA 8300HD PVR via the HDMI connector. Everything seems to be working fine (and I'm very impressed with the picture quality) except for a few second delay when changing channels. The picture for the new channel is displayed immediately if the original channel and the new channel are outputting the same signal format (for example 1080i to 1080i). However, when I switch to a channel outputting a different signal format (for example 480i to 1080i) the set seems to take a few seconds to lock on to the new signal and displays a blank screen until it does. On two occassions, it was never able to lock on to the new channel and I had to turn the set off and then back on again to get a display.

Is this normal?

Thanks in advance for your help.

I have the same problem with my TH-50px60u which is also connected to a SA 8300 using HDMI. Mine behaves exactly the same way.

Only way I found to eliminate or minimize the problem was to change the "set picture format" setting in the 8300HD settings menu to "upconvert 1" or "upconvert 2" instead of my original setting of "auto hdmi".

Almost completely eliminates the problem on mine.
post #209 of 7216 Old 04-09-2006, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippiks27 View Post

How did you correct vertical overscan?

Well, I can't remember specifically (as it's not my TV...), but in the menu, after the "Black Level' adjustment, I think there was something like 'More Adjustments'.

Sorry if I sound a bit dim about this, I was only there once... maybe someone else can help. Once there it allows you to raise and lower the image as well as compress and expand it... but only vertically. If someone else finds a horizontal adjustment, please let us know (I couldn't).

I hope this helps.

shane

"Yes Eve... I like to watch." - Chauncey Gardener.

My HT Setup:
http://www.fototime.com/A0E2793180FB3D0/orig.jpg
post #210 of 7216 Old 04-09-2006, 06:42 PM

does it matter if the panel is set to light or dark as far as black mode? I did mine in dark mode.

Samsung PN64D7000
Onkyo 706 THX Reciever
Sony PS3
Paradigm Monitor Series Speakers
M&K THX Subwoofer
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Th 58px60u 58 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Th 42px600u 42 Plasma Hdtv Television , Panasonic Th50px600u 50 Inch Plasma Flat Panel Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page