Official Panasonic PX60/600 Tweaking, Settings, Issues, Technical Thread! - Page 82 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2431 of 7216 Old 11-15-2006, 04:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elemental1 View Post

You do realize that the CC can filter out those channels at will, right?

Well, then they must be filtering them out only for the Panny because I currently have a Sony SXRD A2000 hooked up to the same cable and it gets all the HD channels. Same thing with the Mitsu 57" 732 I just returned...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2432 of 7216 Old 11-15-2006, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutyafal View Post

Well, then they must be filtering them out only for the Panny because I currently have a Sony SXRD A2000 hooked up to the same cable and it gets all the HD channels. Same thing with the Mitsu 57" 732 I just returned...

If you are getting them on other TV's currently, then it does sound like something is amis with the Panasonic. Have you tried to go to an HD channel directly?
I have seen the Panasonics act up sometimes until you do some channel playing.

My HT

In the words of English philosopher Edmund Burke, ÂAll that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.Â
post #2433 of 7216 Old 11-15-2006, 04:15 PM
Advanced Member

I had the exact same problem. Panasonic denies it.
It won't tune with the Panasonic and it will tune with an old DTV box that has a QAM tuner in it.

I called Panasonic and they said it must be Cable's fault.
I called Cable and they think I am stealing their signal and got paranoid on the phone. Spoke to someone w/ 2 brain cells to rub together and he said normally people don't have problems using QAM tuners, but the tuner is part of the TV and not their responsibility - makes sense.

So end of story Panasonic gave me the big cold shoulder - bastards.
I remember last years version working.
I think the firmware upgrades are reall downgrades and that Panasonic really "cheaped" out on the tuner. I know they made a tuner change from the PX50 series to the PX60 series.
I tried older firmware 1.02 and it made no difference.
Maybe the tuner is not tuning the entire range.

Good luck Kutyafal, normally people on the forum experience every problem in
large numbers.

Does anyone have copies of the old firmware upgrades for Panasonic PX60U's?
Can one go backwards in upgrades?

This bloody Redcoat said I was a terrorist.

Somewhere along the way I become an Elitist who looks down on the
cheap bastards who call themselves my AV Hobbyist peers.
I am not prepared.
post #2434 of 7216 Old 11-15-2006, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Or maybe all the splits are reducing the signal enough to be marginal. Call the cable company and have them check the signal strength.

Eric

"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced" - corollary to Clark's Third Law
post #2435 of 7216 Old 11-15-2006, 05:10 PM

This is in the next room on a dedicated cable line. Signal strenght is very good. I had the Sony first in this room with no problem. I can see both sets in both rooms at the same time so that's how I can compare. I had the Cable company (Comcast) out also to check signal levels and to put in a new dedicated line.

So it's seems it's clearly the Panny unit. Now the $64K question is if I get another set will the same thing happen? I actually am thinking about getting the 58" 600U. I wonder if there is any difference between the 6U, 60U and 600U models in this regard.

I'm planning to get the Samsung 5053 and the Vizio unit also to compare. I think I'm getting pretty close to finding the right TV. Tried 4 units so far: Sony A10 3LCD, Mitsu 57732, Sony 55" A2000 SXRD and the Panny 50PX6U.

By the way what's the difference between last years model and this years? Is it worth to try to find one of last years's models?
post #2436 of 7216 Old 11-15-2006, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

By the way what's the difference between last years model and this years? Is it worth to try to find one of last years's models?

Did you try to dial in an HD channel manually?
Anyway...I have the 05-06 50Px500u and I prefer it over the new 9th Gen.

My HT

In the words of English philosopher Edmund Burke, ÂAll that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.Â
post #2437 of 7216 Old 11-15-2006, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasV555 View Post

...Does anyone have copies of the old firmware upgrades for Panasonic PX60U's?
Can one go backwards in upgrades?

Yup, I do.

I've never gone backwards on fw, but I bet you can.

EDIT: I have all the firmware EXCEPT the original (which came with my TV), that's only 3 files, 1.02; 1.04; 1.25, the last 2 you can get HERE. Sorry

But if somebody does have the original firmware, I'd like a copy (PM me) to complete the set. TIA
post #2438 of 7216 Old 11-15-2006, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elemental1 View Post

Did you try to dial in an HD channel manually?
Anyway...I have the 05-06 50Px500u and I prefer it over the new 9th Gen.

Of course I tried and got the "channel not available" message...

However, I re-ran the auto scan again tonight and this time it picked up 2 other channels and dropped the one it had before. I don't see why this is happening while the Sony continues to pick up all channels without any trouble.
post #2439 of 7216 Old 11-16-2006, 12:06 AM

Is the glass the same in the professional model, the 60and the 600. Decided to take the plunge and am a little confused by the panasonics
post #2440 of 7216 Old 11-16-2006, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
The picture is identical on the 6U, 60U, and 600U models - they share the same glass and video electronics.

The 600U is tricked out a little with a better sound system, PIP, VGA connector, Cablecard and TV Guide functions.

The 6U is cut back a little on the extras, with no front panel video connections, and the SD card slot moved to the back and marked "service only" (I assume the photo viewer functions are disabled in the firmware, so it's only for firmware updates).
post #2441 of 7216 Old 11-16-2006, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Can any of you owners comment on overscan?

This is one function I would really like to have but I know it's not available on the consumer Panasonics. Do you find this to be an issue? How are the side bars on ESPNHD? Perfectly symmetrical? I'm a stickler for perfect geometry which is making me lean more to the commercial plasmas.

Samsung PN60F8500, Panasonic TH-42PD25U/P, Pioneer VSX-1018TXH-K, Oppo BDP-93, Aperion Audio 5T&5C, HSU STF-2, PS3, Wii, HTPC, SD Homerun Prime, Ceton Echo
post #2442 of 7216 Old 11-16-2006, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caeguy View Post

Can any of you owners comment on overscan?

This is one function I would really like to have but I know it's not available on the consumer Panasonics. Do you find this to be an issue? How are the side bars on ESPNHD? Perfectly symmetrical? I'm a stickler for perfect geometry which is making me lean more to the commercial plasmas.

The geometry should always be perfects on ALL digital fixed pixel displays ( including lcd, plasma, RP LCD, RP DLP, ... ). You will never see bowing, pincusion, or any other analog artifact from CRT TV's on any of them.

Eric

"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced" - corollary to Clark's Third Law
post #2443 of 7216 Old 11-16-2006, 10:32 AM

OK, so let me re-phrase the questoin: Does anybody here hooked the cable directly to the set and is getting HD channels via the QAM tuner without problems?
post #2444 of 7216 Old 11-16-2006, 10:44 AM
Advanced Member

I have the 58PX600U. Until I installed a Cablecard, I ran the cable directly into the set and got local HD channels through the QAM tuner. Of course, I only got the channels that TimeWarner doesn't scramble; they include FOX, NBC, CBS and PBS. For some reason, when I first turned the set on, it only recognized analog stations. But after I turned it off and on again, and did the auto-program again, it worked fine.
post #2445 of 7216 Old 11-16-2006, 10:48 AM
Hef

OK my brother bought the 50" 60U and with his QAM tuner and Insight Cable (central Indiana) he's getting 4 of the 5 major channels except for FOX. We tried updating the tuner and also the base firmware also to the latest versions. Didn't seem to help. I guess we could try a line amplifier.

But if that doesn't work can he use a Y connector and feed both the cable and an antenna into the TV and do a scan? Has anyone tried that?
post #2446 of 7216 Old 11-16-2006, 11:40 AM

Quote:

OK, so let me re-phrase the questoin: Does anybody here hooked the cable directly to the set and is getting HD channels via the QAM tuner without problems?

Yes, no problems, I'm getting 10 HDTV via the TV's QAM tuner plus a load (24+) of digital music channels which I disabled as they were just a pain scrolling through.

post #2447 of 7216 Old 11-16-2006, 11:57 AM
adm

Quote:

Yes, I'm on Long Island and getting CBS,NBC,FOX,ABC,WB,PBS-NYC,PBS-LI using this set up.
post #2448 of 7216 Old 11-16-2006, 01:25 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks Martmann,
The older firmware did not make a difference.
It's annoying, b/c the video processing is far superior to the cable box's through HDMI. There is a lot less noise.
Also, it would be a lot cheaper to move to basic cable and get the locals in HD.

I am not prepared.
post #2449 of 7216 Old 11-16-2006, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmoon View Post

The geometry should always be perfects on ALL digital fixed pixel displays ( including lcd, plasma, RP LCD, RP DLP, ... ). You will never see bowing, pincusion, or any other analog artifact from CRT TV's on any of them.

What he actually asked about was overscan, specifically whether it's symmetrical on the Panasonic plasma. I can't really answer that, because it's adjustable on my satellite receiver and DVD player too. I'm not sure which is at fault when things aren't quite right, like when I see that top row of white dots on a broadcast picture which is not supposed to be visible, or when my DVD picture is not perfectly centered vertically.

And actually all RP TVs have more geometry issues than flat panels - not from the microdisplay itself, but from the optical projection system, or from minor mounting alignment errors being blown up big. Edges may be slightly skewed, and focus may be better at one side than the other.
post #2450 of 7216 Old 11-16-2006, 02:14 PM

I have a TH50PX60U, and a Dell W4201C plasma as well. When i am watching HD channels (Shaw Cable here in Western Canada), like DiscoveryHD, ABC, NBC, CBS, etc, the Dell will report them as 1080i (info button on remote). The Panasonic reports the same show (watched at the same time, live) as 720p. I believe I have read in the past that MOST HD programming is broadcast at 720p, so I am wondering if the Dell is displaying the wrong info, or if there is any definitive way to tell for sure what format the shows are in (I have a Motorola DCT6200 HD STB).
post #2451 of 7216 Old 11-16-2006, 02:16 PM

I recently purchased a Panasonic 42PX600U, so far I love it. One question though; I noticed that the TV Guide function has not finished updating and I have had my tv for almost a month now. Seems to me it should have been updated by now. My tv is hooked up to satellite through DirectTV I do not know if this might have an affect or not. Any ideas.

thanx
post #2452 of 7216 Old 11-16-2006, 02:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Does anyone use any external speakers (book shelf etc.) with the TH-42PX60U? I've read that the speakers aren't all that good, and just want to know if I should go that route. Any suggestions are welcomed.
PS. I haven't set it up yet, still in box.

All I want for Christmas is my two front seats
post #2453 of 7216 Old 11-16-2006, 02:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukie4lif View Post

I recently purchased a Panasonic 42PX600U, so far I love it. One question though; I noticed that the TV Guide function has not finished updating and I have had my tv for almost a month now. Seems to me it should have been updated by now. My tv is hooked up to satellite through DirectTV I do not know if this might have an affect or not. Any ideas.

thanx

I thought the guide option was for cable.
I don't think they pass DirecTV guide info through the video cables.

The PX60U speakers are OK. They sound better up against the wall, but any set of bookshelf speakers is better.

I am not prepared.
post #2454 of 7216 Old 11-16-2006, 03:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ion-man View Post

Does anyone use any external speakers (book shelf etc.) with the TH-42PX60U? I've read that the speakers aren't all that good, and just want to know if I should go that route. Any suggestions are welcomed.
PS. I haven't set it up yet, still in box.

The speakers on the entire line of 60u is pretty much lacking. It doesn't have any virtual surround enhacements like SRS Tru Surround, BBE, etc. The surround option it has in the audio menu just makes the audio sound worse and out of phase to me. My 32" Samsung LCD's speakers sounds much better then my Panasonic plasma's. The more expensive 600u line has better speakers and BBE enhacement. However, usually any bookself speakers sound way better then those built into the tv. You can't just connect book self speakers directly to the tv though even if they use rca jacks, you would need to connect the audio output to an amplifier first to power the speakers. The 60u and 600u pannys doesn't have amplifiers for external speakers like the 8uk and 9uk commercial plasmas. You should consider purchasing a Home Theather in a Box since even the ones for $200 or less sound way better then any TV speakers.
post #2455 of 7216 Old 11-16-2006, 03:27 PM
Hef

Hate to repeat this question, but:

Can you use a Y connector and feed both the cable and an antenna into the TV (60U) and do a scan? Has anyone tried that? Were missing a HD channel on the cable is why and want someway to get it in.
post #2456 of 7216 Old 11-16-2006, 03:43 PM
Advanced Member

No, Hef I don't think so.
If you use a splitter in reverse, you will get all of your antenna signals blocked out by the stronger cable signals.

You would need a cable box and/or antenna or just a really good antenna.

I am not prepared.
post #2457 of 7216 Old 11-16-2006, 05:18 PM

Thanks guys for the QAM input. I forgot to ask but if you could also post the model you have. I'm trying to see if there is any difference between the models where QAM is concerned.

Btw, I had the set re-scan again tonight twice. The first time it only picked up one channel, FOX on 5.1. I couldn't tune the others by manually entering the ch number either.

Second time around it dropped FOX and picked up ABC and CBS on 7.3 and 9.1. Couldn't tune to FOX manually.

Also, I could never get NBC (4.5) tuned in so far.

I mean what's up with this?!? There is definitely something wacky going on here...
post #2458 of 7216 Old 11-16-2006, 07:56 PM
Advanced Member

Agreed, there is an issue here with the tuner.
Try calling Panasonic and they will say after 10 minutes of treating you like you are stupid, that this plasma is only designed for OTA.
Picking up QAM by cable even if it's clear is only for those that have cablecards - blatant lie.

Th**PX60U

I am not prepared.
post #2459 of 7216 Old 11-16-2006, 08:53 PM
adm

Quote:

Yes, I'm on Long Island and getting CBS,NBC,FOX,ABC,WB,PBS-NYC,PBS-LI using this set up.
post #2460 of 7216 Old 11-17-2006, 07:10 AM

I have a rotor on my antenna and live between two cities that broadcast digital signals. As a result, during program setup auto scan, it only locks onto digital channels from the city that the antenna is pointed at. How do I manually add the other digital channels to my channel list? (I know that I can manually enter the channel numbers for viewing, but I'd really like to have these digital channels added to my channel list.) It's easy enough to add the analog channels manually so it seems like it should be possible to add the digital channels manually as well.

Thanks,
medoug.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Th 58px60u 58 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Th 42px600u 42 Plasma Hdtv Television , Panasonic Th50px600u 50 Inch Plasma Flat Panel Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page