Official Panasonic PX60/600 Tweaking, Settings, Issues, Technical Thread! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7216 Old 03-18-2006, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It has been requested to start a separate thread for Calibration, Tweaking, Technical Issues, Etc.

So here we go!

Good luck and Congrats to all you new Plasma Owners.

Happy Plasma-ing!

Dave

"Appeasment only makes the Aggressor more Aggressive"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7216 Old 03-18-2006, 10:55 AM

Excellent idea! Thanks for being on the ball. Has there been any change in the way input setting are stored for these px60u/600u sets? Are they per input specific or mode specific (vivid, standard, cinema)?

Anyone care to comment on the new H-Fill aspect setting?
post #3 of 7216 Old 03-18-2006, 01:19 PM

Can anyone confirm if the overscan controls have been included in the px60/600? I heard this is crucial in order to obtain 1:1 pixel mapping from a pc via the digtial inputs.
post #4 of 7216 Old 03-18-2006, 01:57 PM

I'd like to hear if anyone can confirm whether the black level shift issue is resolved in the px60/600.
post #5 of 7216 Old 03-18-2006, 02:26 PM

I'm using Warm and Light.

I wonder what temp is closest to 6500K; usually it's the Warm setting. To know for sure we need a professional calibrator or review.

Also wonder if it's better to choose the Light setting and darken Brightness or choose Dark and lighten Brightness. What's the difference?
post #6 of 7216 Old 03-18-2006, 03:07 PM

I have the same question as HomeTheatreMaven re: 6500K. When I tried my initial calibration of our 50PX60U, the display was set at Normal and Light. Below I've copied my settings post from the original Panasonic availability thread. Thanks for setting up this separate Settings/Tweaking thread.

baloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by baloo View Post

I took a first shot last night at doing a very basic calibration of our new TH-50PX60U. I've spent some time in the past trying to obtain the best quality picture in our basement front projection system (our home theater), so I've used AVIA and other tools several times. However, I am definitely not an expert, so YMMV greatly.

The new 50PX60U is in our upstairs family room. There is some ambient light during the day and the walls are a light yellow. I calibrated in the evening using AVIA and an OPPO OPDV971H DVD player connected to the Panasonic through the HDMI 2 port. (We also have a DTV HD TiVo, although we'll be switching to Verizon FIOS or Cox soon.) During calibration, I kept the room dim (some overhead ceiling lights on a dimmer) but not dark, as this is our typical viewing environment for this room.

Like others have reported, I found the default "Vivid" mode settings out of the box artificial -- they made the picture look blocky and oversaturated. I first switched from Vivid to Standard mode. The default settings in Standard mode were: Picture +20, Brightness 0, Color 0, Tint 0, Sharpness +15. After doing the AVIA video calibration tests, my settings were:

Picture +12
Brightness +5
Color -2
Tint -5
Sharpness -3

I'll check the settings again in a few days with AVIA, as I've found that it sometimes takes me a few times to get the best settings. I'm also not sure I had all the other video options on the Panasonic set correctly (i.e. Light or Dark blacks).

From my amateur viewpoint, the picture is VERY nice -- I'm glad I didn't wait for the 600, which I had earlier debated. It's hard to turn off the TV. My next step is to research and buy a relatively inexpensive surround speaker system to upgrade the sound in the room ...

baloo

post #7 of 7216 Old 03-18-2006, 05:01 PM

We will need info how to get into the service menu. This will be another informative thread!
post #8 of 7216 Old 03-18-2006, 06:22 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeTheatreMaven View Post

I'm using Warm and Light.

I wonder what temp is closest to 6500K; usually it's the Warm setting. To know for sure we need a professional calibrator or review.

Also wonder if it's better to choose the Light setting and darken Brightness or choose Dark and lighten Brightness. What's the difference?

Just an FYI... with Time Warner Cable, an SA PowerKEY CableCARD and a 50PX50U... the Black Level is auto-adjusted to dark for 480i and to light for 720p/1080i. I use the Normal setting with the Warm color adjustment.
post #9 of 7216 Old 03-18-2006, 09:58 PM

I have all settings backed off to -5 for brightness and picture as I let the panel break in. Its like beaking in my engine, this is the worst part, having a toy you can't fully exploit yet

Samsung PN64D7000
Onkyo 706 THX Reciever
Sony PS3
Paradigm Monitor Series Speakers
M&K THX Subwoofer
post #10 of 7216 Old 03-18-2006, 11:20 PM

Wouldn't the recommended display settings people suggested for last year's model work just as good on this year's? Or would there be some major differences?

Panasonic 42PX60U Plasma
post #11 of 7216 Old 03-19-2006, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodWhomIsMike View Post

Wouldn't the recommended display settings people suggested for last year's model work just as good on this year's? Or would there be some major differences?

IMO... the best approach is to begin with Panasonic's default Standard setting then turn the brightness, contrast and sharpness levels down as low as is acceptable to you during the first 100 hours of operation. During the first 100 hours display no black bars and avoid the prolonged use of static images. Until the break-in period is over it's not feasible to calibrate or tweak the panel's picture settings with any degree of accuracy.
post #12 of 7216 Old 03-19-2006, 08:11 AM

Liked: 11
Got my 42PX60U yesterday. This set replaces a 27-inch 1992 cathode ray tube Sony XBR which still has a great picture (in SD, of course).

We put the TV at the foot of the bed so we will be watching from about six feet. Only had a couple of hours to watch, so these are preliminary impressions:

Picture quality is great, but default settings are wrong. Vivid is way too fiery, Standard has too much contrast and artificial sharpness, and Cinema is lifeless. In Standard mode, I decided to turn down Picture (why doesn't the TV industry like the word "contrast"? "Contrast" is much more descriptive than "Picture") to about +20, and leave everything else at 0. I will calibrate when my Avia disk arrives.

SD is very good when the signal is good. Unfortunately, the signal varies greatly between channels and the differences in PQ are much more pronounced than on my old Sony XBR. All in all, SD is very watchable.

I was surprised that I could get HD channels over Time Warner Cable without a STB! Local channels and a special KPBS channel with different programming than regular KPBS. I though I needed a cable card to get HD over cable without a STB. Evidently not!

Now what do I do with the Zenith Silver Sensor antenna coming in the mail next week?

Needless to say, picture quality in HD was wonderful. Very sharp and lifelike, fantastic color saturation, excellent contrast, deep blacks (almost as black as my old Sony XBR), and very pure whites. This is from a few minutes of watching the KPBS HD channel, and snippets of the March Madness college basketball games.

I watched the opening scenes from the new DVD of Good Night and Good Luck. I was pleased with the purity of the blacks and the whites. The gray scale, in particular, seems very refined and extended, moving from black to white seamlessly. Shadow detail is exceptional, and highlight detail is the best. (By the way, the Dianne Reeves soundtrack of this DVD is so well recorded that I ordered the CD; the saxophone in particular is very real.)

I also watched some scenes from Natural Born Killers, and the PQ was fabulous. Color is very good, although perhaps a little oversaturated because I have yet to calibrate the set.

I used a cheap Toshiba SD-3950 to play the DVD's. It seems that the Panasonic de-interlaser and scaler are so good that even a $50 DVD player looks good. Why would I need an Oppo?
post #13 of 7216 Old 03-19-2006, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beto3645 View Post

Got my 42PX60U yesterday. This set replaces a 27-inch 1992 cathode ray tube Sony XBR which still has a great picture (in SD, of course).

We put the TV at the foot of the bed so we will be watching from about six feet. Only had a couple of hours to watch, so these are preliminary impressions:

Picture quality is great, but default settings are wrong. Vivid is way too fiery, Standard has too much contrast and artificial sharpness, and Cinema is lifeless. In Standard mode, I decided to turn down Picture (why doesn't the TV industry like the word "contrast"? "Contrast" is much more descriptive than "Picture") to about +20, and leave everything else at 0. I will calibrate when my Avia disk arrives.

SD is very good when the signal is good. Unfortunately, the signal varies greatly between channels and the differences in PQ are much more pronounced than on my old Sony XBR. All in all, SD is very watchable.

I was surprised that I could get HD channels over Time Warner Cable without a STB! Local channels and a special KPBS channel with different programming than regular KPBS. I though I needed a cable card to get HD over cable without a STB. Evidently not!

Now what do I do with the Zenith Silver Sensor antenna coming in the mail next week?

Needless to say, picture quality in HD was wonderful. Very sharp and lifelike, fantastic color saturation, excellent contrast, deep blacks (almost as black as my old Sony XBR), and very pure whites. This is from a few minutes of watching the KPBS HD channel, and snippets of the March Madness college basketball games.

I watched the opening scenes from the new DVD of Good Night and Good Luck. I was pleased with the purity of the blacks and the whites. The gray scale, in particular, seems very refined and extended, moving from black to white seamlessly. Shadow detail is exceptional, and highlight detail is the best. (By the way, the Dianne Reeves soundtrack of this DVD is so well recorded that I ordered the CD; the saxophone in particular is very real.)

I also watched some scenes from Natural Born Killers, and the PQ was fabulous. Color is very good, although perhaps a little oversaturated because I have yet to calibrate the set.

I used a cheap Toshiba SD-3950 to play the DVD's. It seems that the Panasonic de-interlaser and scaler are so good that even a $50 DVD player looks good. Why would I need an Oppo?

Does that Toshiba have HDMI? If the new panny scalers are really good than you might benefit from getting the new OPPO player coming out in april. It will let you feed the panny a 480i signal thru HDMI and this will let you take advantage of the 16 bit processing and better greyscale gradations only available thru HDMI.
post #14 of 7216 Old 03-19-2006, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugwump88 View Post

We will need info how to get into the service menu. This will be another informative thread!

Same as previous Models.

post #15 of 7216 Old 03-19-2006, 09:09 AM

I'm currently setting mine up. I'm trying to find a good color setting, the one baloo is better than the factory setting, but still not 100%. I'll get it right

Panasonic 42PX60U Plasma
post #16 of 7216 Old 03-19-2006, 09:21 AM

About HDMI inputs:

Being new to all of this chatter, I was looking at the photo of the back of the 60s and noted that there HDMI 1 and 2 Audio in jacks. I thought if you connected with an HDMI cable, you didn't need separate audio inputs. I apologize if this is a silly question, but what are these inputs for?
post #17 of 7216 Old 03-19-2006, 09:33 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv4 View Post

Does that Toshiba have HDMI? If the new panny scalers are really good than you might benefit from getting the new OPPO player coming out in april. It will let you feed the panny a 480i signal thru HDMI and this will let you take advantage of the 16 bit processing and better greyscale gradations only available thru HDMI.

Thanks, that is good information. No, the Tosh 3950 does not have HDMI. I was using S-Video, actually. I was wondering what the differences are between the current Oppo and the new one. So the new one will NOT have a de-interlacer and scaler, but it will have HDMI and be a universal player, including all manner of DVD's and CD's, including Super Audio CD and DVD-A?
post #18 of 7216 Old 03-19-2006, 10:07 AM

man what a screen in HD.

Ok, I have a question, I currently don't have HD cable or Sat, which isn't allbad cuz most of the HD watching I do is sports and most of that I can get over the air.

My issue is, when setting the TV up for TV watching, it wants to do a channel scan, it seems to look for either cable or antenna but I can't seem to figure out how to make it remember both.

I'd like to set it up to scan the cable channels, but also be able to connect up my rabit ears for HD when I need it without blowing out the cable settings. Any idea how to do this?

using rabit ears for HD, I find it very ironic, but the quality is incredible.

Samsung PN64D7000
Onkyo 706 THX Reciever
Sony PS3
Paradigm Monitor Series Speakers
M&K THX Subwoofer
post #19 of 7216 Old 03-19-2006, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbrillo View Post

My issue is, when setting the TV up for TV watching, it wants to do a channel scan, it seems to look for either cable or antenna but I can't seem to figure out how to make it remember both.

With the PX50/500Us one had to re-scan the channels each time when going from cable to antenna... sounds like Panasonic hasn't changed things with the PX60Us either.
post #20 of 7216 Old 03-19-2006, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elight50 View Post

About HDMI inputs:

Being new to all of this chatter, I was looking at the photo of the back of the 60s and noted that there HDMI 1 and 2 Audio in jacks. I thought if you connected with an HDMI cable, you didn't need separate audio inputs. I apologize if this is a silly question, but what are these inputs for?

I believe it's to connect DVI devices which are video only.
DVI+adapter --> HDMI
audio --> "HDMI audio" rca jacks
post #21 of 7216 Old 03-19-2006, 10:22 AM

Do any owners know if a 50u wallmount will work with the 60u ???
post #22 of 7216 Old 03-19-2006, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by editedby View Post

Do any owners know if a 50u wallmount will work with the 60u ???

Someone posted on the monster 60u thread about 2-3 days ago that they had called Panny and that the 60u uses the same mount as the 50u. There are usually tons of mounts for sale on Ebay for a fraction of the mfr. cost. I don't know which mounts are interchangeable but I think there is a list on the "Bruzzi" FAQ posting at the top of this forum.

...mike
post #23 of 7216 Old 03-19-2006, 02:24 PM

Waiting on the 50PX60U...New to home theater...Any suggestions on a power supply? Is the Monster Clean Power worth it?
post #24 of 7216 Old 03-19-2006, 02:43 PM

I agree with Beto3645, my Toshiba DVD/VCR and 60U do a great job with movies.

I need to get into the menu because I am getting one of those red lines on NBCHD. This is without a box. Someone else said they had this problem with a box and that OTA did not have this problem.
post #25 of 7216 Old 03-19-2006, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugwump88 View Post

I tried the info. listed in the Bruzzi Panny sticky under "Checking Hours Used" and it worked on my 50PX60U, so service menu access seems the same as the 50U's. The menu was a little bit different, however.

BTW, I checked the info when I first turned my set on and found it had been turned on 11 previous times for an hour of total use. I guess this was during testing.
post #26 of 7216 Old 03-19-2006, 06:09 PM

Quote:

...I was surprised that I could get HD channels over Time Warner Cable without a STB! Local channels and a special KPBS channel with different programming than regular KPBS. I though I needed a cable card to get HD over cable without a STB. Evidently not!

Huh?

I thought that you had to have a STB for the HD stuff. If, in fact, that's the case I might consider a 37 inch model to replace my ancient Sony CRT in my bedroom.

Byron
post #27 of 7216 Old 03-19-2006, 06:16 PM

Quote:

Thanks, that is good information. No, the Tosh 3950 does not have HDMI. I was using S-Video, actually. I was wondering what the differences are between the current Oppo and the new one. So the new one will NOT have a de-interlacer and scaler, but it will have HDMI and be a universal player, including all manner of DVD's and CD's, including Super Audio CD and DVD-A?

The current Oppo has the Faroudja DCDi which has the macroblocking problem especially with plasmas. The new models don't have that chip and will have a meditek decoder that you can feed 480i thru HDMI and let your plasma do the scaling to is native resolution. DVD-A should be available but its not sure yet. SACD won't be included. This player is not meant to replace the current one and will actually be $50-$75 dollars cheaper because it does not have the Faroudja chip. If the new Pannys do good-excellent job of scaling then feeding it 480i over HDMI will be the best option.
post #28 of 7216 Old 03-19-2006, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Walter View Post

Huh?

I thought that you had to have a STB for the HD stuff. If, in fact, that's the case I might consider a 37 inch model to replace my ancient Sony CRT in my bedroom.

Byron

That's right, its possible to get HD without the box. It all depends on how your local cable company does it. I am picking up PBS, WB, NBC, and ABC in HD without the box. For some reason CBS does not come through all the time. What you do need the box for is Discovery, ESPN, HDNET, INHD. You can pick up your local HD channels with an antenna aswell using the integrated ATSC tuner. PBS upscales and changes everything to widescreen even if its not shot in HD. It's sunday night and that means Desperate Housewives is on ABCHD. Looks Great
post #29 of 7216 Old 03-19-2006, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erie33 View Post

I tried the info. listed in the Bruzzi Panny sticky under "Checking Hours Used" and it worked on my 50PX60U, so service menu access seems the same as the 50U's. The menu was a little bit different, however.

BTW, I checked the info when I first turned my set on and found it had been turned on 11 previous times for an hour of total use. I guess this was during testing.

I tried to access the service menu but it didn't work. Here's what I did, holding down the "-"vol button, press the "recall" button 3 times. nothing happened. Am I missing something? Mine is 42PX60U.

Also, how do I get the TV to display SD pictures in full screen?
post #30 of 7216 Old 03-19-2006, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweatyPalm View Post

I tried to access the service menu but it didn't work. Here's what I did, holding down the "-"vol button, press the "recall" button 3 times. nothing happened. Am I missing something? Mine is 42PX60U.

Also, how do I get the TV to display SD pictures in full screen?

I did the same thing! Read it again, you need to walk up to the tv and push the volume button on the tv.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Th 58px60u 58 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Th 42px600u 42 Plasma Hdtv Television , Panasonic Th50px600u 50 Inch Plasma Flat Panel Hdtv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page