Official LG plasma thread - Page 34 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #991 of 1096 Old 03-31-2009, 11:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
sorry for the double post i just found this LG thread and i think this is the place to ask...

i just ordered my first plasma :-) lg 42pg60ur and i need some advice please

i have read here in the forums about IR and Burn in problems and i am asking myself if this is still relevant to newer plasma models?

i mean i see that this model has White wash,Orbiter,Inversion

i do not exactly know how every mode exactly works but they should prevent IR and Burn in i guess....

so my question is do i have to do something in the first hours to prevent damage?

or can i just plug the TV in and watch normal SD tv and connect my pc and play games :-) and i do not have to worry?

thanks for any advice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 1096 Old 03-31-2009, 01:00 PM

Just plug and go. Don't worry about it so much. Keep Orbiter on, keep your contrast as low as is acceptible to you and don't sweat it. I have an Insignia set that uses LG glass and the only time I ever purposefully whitewash it is at the beginning of some movies because my DVD player puts this logo with bright white stripes for a splash screen on start-up. I'm not sure who came up with that idea but it sucks and leaves (once and for all) temporary phosphor excitement which is sometimes mistaken for IR. You will really, really, really have to toruture your set, new or not, to get full-blown IR these days...even with LG glass that many feel is more prone to ghosting.

Enjoy your set, be careful not to leave your PC on without a screen saver that kicks in after a minute or two of inactivity, watch everything full-screen if possible and you won't have a care in the world.
post #993 of 1096 Old 04-01-2009, 12:56 AM

thanks for the info :-)

they technicians should be tomorrow at my home and install the TV

Quote:
Enjoy your set, be careful not to leave your PC on without a screen saver that kicks in after a minute or two of inactivity, watch everything full-screen if possible and you won't have a care in the world.

so how is it possible to play games? most games have some sort of status for ammo and life bar or other map or radar in one of the corners...

how can i prevent damage from this status indicators?

i mean i do not play much lets say only in the weekend and not more than 3 or 5 hours

also normal TV (SD) channels have this logo in the corner...

thanks
post #994 of 1096 Old 04-03-2009, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icarusil View Post

thanks for the info :-)

they technicians should be tomorrow at my home and install the TV

so how is it possible to play games? most games have some sort of status for ammo and life bar or other map or radar in one of the corners...

how can i prevent damage from this status indicators?

i mean i do not play much lets say only in the weekend and not more than 3 or 5 hours

also normal TV (SD) channels have this logo in the corner...

thanks

Again, I wouldn't worry too much about it. The status bars and indicators are very much like the sports or news tickers you'll have when you watch football, basketball, news, etc. on regular TV. Even 'when' they leave an image (because they will) it falls squarely in the range of phosphor glow or temporary IR, not burn-in.

Remember, keep contrast as low as you can take, keep brightness as low as you can take and sharpness all the way down you'll do fine. And, since the set is new, if you want to make the screen look all shiny and new, just watch something full-screen for a few minutes and the image should go away with no problems. Or, you might want to do a whitewash once a week. The way I did that with my Insignia was to go in and set the sleep timer for 10 minutes or so, then I'd go to whitewash and turn it on. If you leave the room, the TV will shut itself down automatically and when you turn it back on your temp. IR issues should be gone.
post #995 of 1096 Old 04-07-2009, 01:24 PM

hi all, new to the forum so sorry to jump in with a question so soon,i was looking for a reason why my plasma is dead.
i have the LG50PX1D plasma and it will not com on. its 3 years old and has no warrenty on it any more but i must say it is the best tv i have ever had.
now what happens is when you turn the power on from the plug the red light comes on, when you press the on button the tv comes on, in the back i can see a few led's come on with a click after a few seconds just before it would burst into life the led's go of and the light turns yellow on the front and flashes a few times then stays on.
if any one can help or put me onto any other links to find out what the prob is that would be great.
thanks daveo
post #996 of 1096 Old 04-21-2009, 10:00 AM

Replaced the mother board. Tech had it up and running in no time. Just a lot of screws to get to it.
post #997 of 1096 Old 04-22-2009, 06:50 PM

The only issue I have had with my LG 50PG60 was with the gray bars when watching 4:3 content. We watched a bunch like that when we first got the set. You could see where the bars where when watching 16:9 that had large area of gray in the image. Took several days to go away. Started watching 4:3 in Zoom2 to fill the screen. My wife a kids pause the tivo all the time and I haven't had any issue with that or the logo's that networks put on.
post #998 of 1096 Old 04-30-2009, 07:17 PM

I have a 2-yr-old LG 50PC1DR, a model that has a built-in DVR, built-in ASTC tuner, built in QAM tuner, and the TV Guide On Screen service. We are connected to a cable tv service that delivers digital channels in QAM format, and we have the cablecard to descramble. Lately, the TV nearly always fails to start scheduled recordings if the TV is off. If the TV is on, it seems to usually start. Is this likely to be a hardware issue, or a signal issue?

I might add that I don't recall having a chronic problem of this type before the digital transition, but our CBS affiliate who carries the TVGOS signal went all digital in February. It may also be significant that we have customized our recording default settings to start 2 minutes early and end 2 minutes late to deal with the current fashion of not starting or ending programs on the hour.
post #999 of 1096 Old 05-01-2009, 01:20 PM

Does anyone have any technical information on how the orbiter function works? I have looked for white papers from LG and can't find anything aside from a brief description in the user manual? How noticeable is it? Does it simply shift all pixels every 2 minutes? Is it a single pixel? I am looking at the 60PG30FC model.
post #1000 of 1096 Old 05-01-2009, 01:29 PM

I can't answer the technical side of your question (how much shift), but I can tell you that on my 50PC1DR, I don't see any shifting of the image. In fact, if it shifts, it is so subtle that I decided it wasn't likely to work as an image retention remedy, so I just use the white wash every now and then.
post #1001 of 1096 Old 05-02-2009, 04:55 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by RusselAVP View Post

Does anyone have any technical information on how the orbiter function works? I have looked for white papers from LG and can't find anything aside from a brief description in the user manual? How noticeable is it? Does it simply shift all pixels every 2 minutes? Is it a single pixel? I am looking at the 60PG30FC model.

On my 50PX1D it is one pixel.

-- Jim
post #1002 of 1096 Old 05-17-2009, 12:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Hi

i have a 42pc3d,which i have had for 2yrs now. I am hoping some kind soul here would be willing to post some service menu settings. On the IN-START menu , option 1 mst3361 bank0 all my settings read " 0 " as does option 2 is this typical and if not could someone please share theirs. also on the Ez adjust service menu option 1 is greyed out. Is this typical also.

Reason i am asking is that not long after i got the set i entered the service menu and im sure i activated something in the ez adjust menu and the tv has never seemed quite the same. I have since bought another tv and moved this to the bedroom and have decided to try and figure out what it was i did that day. TIA
post #1003 of 1096 Old 06-09-2009, 10:15 PM

I have an older LG 50PX1d and in both HD and 4:3 I sometimes get "waves" of green pixels that seem to shift as scenes change, most notably in black or dark images. I have cable with a Scientific Atlanta HD DVR and Charter says the signal is strong (and the green speckles appear when a DVD is played). Component cables are used with DVR, DVD player and amp.

Any thoughts on reducing this pixel shift or pixel waves?
post #1004 of 1096 Old 06-10-2009, 07:47 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHarper View Post

I have a 2-yr-old LG 50PC1DR, a model that has a built-in DVR, built-in ASTC tuner, built in QAM tuner, and the TV Guide On Screen service. We are connected to a cable tv service that delivers digital channels in QAM format, and we have the cablecard to descramble. Lately, the TV nearly always fails to start scheduled recordings if the TV is off. If the TV is on, it seems to usually start. Is this likely to be a hardware issue, or a signal issue?

I might add that I don't recall having a chronic problem of this type before the digital transition, but our CBS affiliate who carries the TVGOS signal went all digital in February. It may also be significant that we have customized our recording default settings to start 2 minutes early and end 2 minutes late to deal with the current fashion of not starting or ending programs on the hour.

Amen! I have two LG tv's with built in DVRs... I can't trust them anymore. I have started using another DVR (media center streaming) b/c of the unreliable software in the LGs.

Let me know if anyone finds a fix....
post #1005 of 1096 Old 06-16-2009, 05:29 AM

Hello Everyone,
I Just recently purchased (2 days ago) a 42" LG plasma. I have been blown away with the picture quality. Unfortunately A green dot has appeared at the top left corner of the screen. It appears with every source. I am New to Plasma TV's, as I was the previous owner of a Samsung DLP, so I have very little knowledge of how plasma's work and or their draw backs. I am going to return/exchange the TV today but my question is since I have read alot of good reviews on this tv, and there is very little on the net regarding this problem for this tv,

1. Is this a common problem for LG?
2. Did I just get the one defective from the manufacturer?
3. Should I exchange it and give it another try, or gat a refund and look
into another model?

The retail store I purchased from only gives me 5 days for full refund and 30 days to exchange.
I also picked up the extended Warr. but I really would not like to think about using it for at least 2 years.
Thanks for any input.
post #1006 of 1096 Old 06-16-2009, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by las1dan00 View Post

Hello Everyone,
I Just recently purchased (2 days ago) a 42" LG plasma. I have been blown away with the picture quality. Unfortunately A green dot has appeared at the top left corner of the screen. It appears with every source. I am New to Plasma TV's, as I was the previous owner of a Samsung DLP, so I have very little knowledge of how plasma's work and or their draw backs. I am going to return/exchange the TV today but my question is since I have read alot of good reviews on this tv, and there is very little on the net regarding this problem for this tv,

1. Is this a common problem for LG?
2. Did I just get the one defective from the manufacturer?
3. Should I exchange it and give it another try, or gat a refund and look
into another model?

The retail store I purchased from only gives me 5 days for full refund and 30 days to exchange.
I also picked up the extended Warr. but I really would not like to think about using it for at least 2 years.
Thanks for any input.

I haven't heard of that problem, with the PQ30's. I would exchange it for another PQ, if it's just one stuck pixel, and you are otherwise happy.
But, I would tell them that you would like them to rewrite your invoice as of today's date, with an exchanged unit, so that you have 5 more refund days, or that you'll take a refund, now. If that action won't invalidate some really good price that you received, of course. I doubt that they'll give you, much trouble under the circumstances.
post #1007 of 1096 Old 06-16-2009, 08:27 AM

I have a LG 42" (42pc3dva-ud) plasma which just died on me exactly 3 years from the purchase date (June 2006). Basically the picture on the left side of the screen is black and black pixels carry over sparsely to the right. What ever color I still get on the right is very saturated. Has anyone encounetered similar problems like this? Is it worth fixing?
post #1008 of 1096 Old 07-13-2009, 04:07 AM

I have an LG 42" plasma model 42pc1dg approximately 2 years old. Tonight the remote sensor on the television decided to play up. When trying to change channels the sensor on the screen was flashing rapidly and at times changing the channel even when the remote wasn't being pressed. I have changed the batteries, and used an LG remote that i have for a hard drive recorder, the result is still the same. Is this likeley to be a problem with the senor on the tv or could it be resolved by just turning the tv off at the power for a little while?
post #1009 of 1096 Old 07-13-2009, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerryp View Post

I have an LG 42" plasma model 42pc1dg approximately 2 years old. Tonight the remote sensor on the television decided to play up. When trying to change channels the sensor on the screen was flashing rapidly and at times changing the channel even when the remote wasn't being pressed. I have changed the batteries, and used an LG remote that i have for a hard drive recorder, the result is still the same. Is this likeley to be a problem with the senor on the tv or could it be resolved by just turning the tv off at the power for a little while?

The first things that I would do would be to unplug it from the wall or bar for 15 minutes. Then maybe a reset to defaults, if you haven't had it professionally calibrated in the past. You may lose your picture settings, by resetting. Could the manual button(s) on the TV be stuck, or the button on the remote be stuck?
post #1010 of 1096 Old 07-19-2009, 12:02 AM

Thankyou, as it turned out it the tv was switched off overnight and since then has been working fine.. No idea why it happened..
post #1011 of 1096 Old 08-26-2009, 07:33 PM

Noob first post so bare with me, I read here alot but never have joined

Looking for someone with a service manual for a 42PC5DC
Was hoping that if someone has one, you could look on the Y-sustain board schematic for IC 405 and tell me what it is, Just guessing from the circuitry it is a isolator of some sort ( the number on it dosen`t cross or come up with anything), This is a recently acquired Freebie (the best kind) that will be fine for my shop and i`ve got the IPM fixed,(pic actually looks really decent cold) The one last thing is a heat related issue with that IC
This thing has a tick over 7500 hours on it so I guess one can`t fault it

Thanks a bunch in advance

Rick
post #1012 of 1096 Old 09-20-2009, 05:29 PM
LLF

Did you ever get a reply on the HDD issue? I've had the same problem LG 50PB4D except I had about 20 programs recorded......
post #1013 of 1096 Old 10-07-2009, 09:07 PM

//
post #1014 of 1096 Old 10-08-2009, 01:27 PM

LLF--

I have just had to arrange for service on my 50PC1DR due to HDD failures. The unit is about 33 mos. old, and for the last 2 mos. I've had erratice issues getting an error message telling me the HDD needs to be formatted; if I leave it alone, sometimes it is okay a day or two later. Last night, XPro told me there was NO HDD; this morning, it recognized it.

Thankfully, i've got a service contract on it good for another 26 mos or so. What symptoms did you have, and did you get yours fixed?
post #1015 of 1096 Old 11-02-2009, 08:23 AM

I have a 50PC1DR which just had substantial work done on it--replaced the DVR HDD, the main digital board, and a bunch of capacitors to correct problems with failures of timed recordings, intemittent hdd failures due to the controller, and other issues.

I have a cablecard, so am dependent on the TVGOS in the TV to govern timed recordings and the like.

My local cable company is about to completely reallocate its HD channels, moving to a 4-digit system for HD and for On Demand types of programs, so on Nov 17, the system will go to 4-digit numbers (2xxx) for all HD channels.

Does anyone know if such a channel change will work with the LG tv's (i.e., assuming the cable company properly provisions my cablecard, should my LG tv know how to handle 4-digit, instead of 3-digit, channel numbers)?
post #1016 of 1096 Old 11-29-2009, 07:24 PM

After much research I recently decided to re-attempt using my TVGOS with my Time Warner Cable card (Cary, NC). I've read that the TVGOS signal is now being sent thru my local CBS HD channel Over The Air (Source: rabbitears website TVGOS section ). So I added a Digital Antenna which picks up the Over The Air channels great. Within my LG I've learned it is possible to change the Host channel to Over The Air (where these now only exist) vs the default cable PBS channel. However when I go to the change I see "Press Enter to select the channel for OAD. Warning OAD must execute after Gemstar initialization." When I change this to the new DTV host channel it gets stuck at "OAD receiving ROM data searching for first section 0%". Does anyone know why this may be happening? I wonder if it simply is that this OAD (On Air Download) take a long time or perhaps I need to attempt to get a updated firmware version of Gemstar (currently at version 8.1.41). Any thoughts?
post #1017 of 1096 Old 11-30-2009, 08:00 AM

I have a 50PC1DR. I live in Wichita, KS. In our market, we have Cox Cablevision. The TVGOS signal is piggy-backed on our CBS affiliate's signal, and Cox carries it on our cable. When the switchover was made, there were a couple of hiccups, but I get all the data regularly just using the cable feed.
post #1018 of 1096 Old 12-13-2009, 04:29 PM

I have the 50PS60, does anyone know how to enter the service menu to see hours used?
post #1019 of 1096 Old 12-13-2009, 08:49 PM

I have a LG 42pc3dva

WHen I turn it on, I get bars, and colors (see pic below) The bar moves, and the colors change, so its not like the pixels are stuck or anything...

anyone have any idea whats wrong? is this thing garbage? or can I fix it somehow?

thanks for any info

post #1020 of 1096 Old 12-20-2009, 06:55 PM

big topic but i'll try here anyway

I have the LG 42PC3D (plasma), tonight we watched a dvd, in the middle of it we hear a loud POP/CRACK and the screen went off, only the bottom of it had something, but very dark and red...

Of course the warranty is over, bought it on december 2006. What can i do, call LG and complain? TV's should last longer than 3 years...
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page