Official LG plasma thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1096 Old 04-11-2006, 01:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I haven't seen too many comments from owners of LG plasmas and then quickly realized that this is one of the few brands without an "official" thread. Since I have been so pleased with my LG plasma (50PX5D) I really want other LG owners to weigh in on their experience with the brand.

Thanks in advance for your comments.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 1096 Old 04-11-2006, 04:10 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just picked up the 50PX1D from my local BB and so far, the picture is great. The remote and functionaily of the menu's are easy to use and well layed out and the overall packging is nice.

My only gripe is the speakers. They seem to have a "crackling" sounds from the subwoofer when the bass is turned up. But I'm going to get a reciever etc., so I won't be using them, but that's just something that bothered me.

Other than that, for the PQ, features and price, I love it!
post #3 of 1096 Old 04-11-2006, 07:22 PM

I just got back from BestBuy where I looked at the 2006 LG 50PC3D which was sitting next to a 50" Pioneer and Samsung. At first the LG had a bit of red push, so I adjusted the settings a bit and it looked pretty darn good compared to the Pioneer. The Panasonic 50PX60U was 20' away and facing the wrong direction so I had a hard time comparing the two, but it did seem to hold its own. I did not notice much (if any) clayface which I've seen on the Panasonics even after some adjustments.

I only viewed the internal HD feed from BB, but I really came away feeling good about the LG glass. I was also impressed with the electronics, menu, and remote. For starters, the remote makes the new Panasonic remote look like a pos. The on-screen menu is also nice and well designed. The TV itself looks nice.

One thing that I liked were the anti-burnin features on the TV. I believe it had an orbiter setting, white wash, and screen inversion. The latter would come in quite handy after you fall asleep watching a DVD and have it stick the menu up for 6 hours.

Anyone brought this puppy home yet? MRSP for it is listed as $3699.95 on LG's website and also includes a 2-year warranty with in-home service.
post #4 of 1096 Old 04-11-2006, 07:41 PM

I got a 42PX4D last night. I have been looking for a new tv for a while and this one seemed like the right one for me, great features, very nice picture, and I like the aesthetics. The only thing I would change is making the speakers removable.

I have only used it for a several hours so far but everything seems really nice. I like the menus and setting up with the ATSC/NTSC/QAM tuner was simple and quick. The reception on the tuner is very good. The two year warranty is a nice feature as well.

So far, I have not had any issues at all and I get a big grin every time I turn it on.
I am only using it as a TV now, I have a projector that I use to watch DVDs on but when I get time I will hook up my DVD player and see how upconverted DVDs look at 1080i and 720p.
post #5 of 1096 Old 04-12-2006, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter

Since I created this thread I might as well put my two cents in...

I purchased my 50PX5D about a month ago at my local Brandsmart and got a great deal. The delivery was scheduled only a couple days later and I impatiently awaited its arrival. Tuesday comes and the truck arrived on schedule. The shipping guys wheel the surprisingly large box through my door and begin to unpack it for initial inspection. To my dismay, the plasma's inner glass was shattered. After sheepishly repacking the box, the delivery guys scheduled another delivery that Friday. Friday came, and lo and behold the same two guys wheel in a flawless set (horray!). I tested the set initially with the Spider Man 2 dvd, and the results were stunning.

Since I was wall mounting the unit, me and a friend lifted the plasma onto my couch, and removed the attached swivel stand. After attaching the plasma to the wall mount, I realized that connecting the set while it was hung may become a problem due to the fact the inputs were facing the wall. However, by using a small mirror and a flashlight, the hookup went relatively smoothly.

After finalizing installation I turned on D*'s SD programming (HD bow was to come in a couple of days). I was actually surprised by quality of the picture. So many on here have complained about D*s insane compression of content being very evident on HD displays that I almost feared seeing it for the first time. A few channels had some pretty nasty macroblocking and color saturation issues, especially in the local channels, but overall I was very impressed. That same evening I popped in "The Last Samurai" being fed through component. The PQ was breath taking, from the lush mountain village surroundings, to the night action scenes. Even at the conservative settings, the set showed excellent low light detail and black level performance.

As soon as my H20 came in I hooked it up and went straight to the HD content. I was blown away by the picture initially. However, after careful inspection (ie. viewing the set at less than a foot away) I still saw some minor macroblocking and banding in the picture. I blame much of this on D*'s compression. I then hooked up an antenna to watch some primetime OTA HD content. Almost all of the PQ issues I had seen on my satelite HD content were nowhere to be found.

All in all I am still amazed by the quality of the plasma, and hope to put a 42" LG in my bedroom.
post #6 of 1096 Old 04-12-2006, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikefg830 View Post

I purchased my 50PX5D about a month ago at my local Brandsmart and got a great deal. The delivery was scheduled only a couple days later and I impatiently awaited its arrival. Tuesday comes and the truck arrived on schedule. The shipping guys wheel the surprisingly large box through my door and begin to unpack it for initial inspection. To my dismay, the plasma's inner glass was shattered. After sheepishly repacking the box, the delivery guys scheduled another delivery that Friday. Friday came, and lo and behold the same two guys wheel in a flawless set (horray!). I tested the set initially with the Spider Man 2 dvd, and the results were stunning.

Since I was wall mounting the unit, me and a friend lifted the plasma onto my couch, and removed the attached swivel stand. After attaching the plasma to the wall mount, I realized that connecting the set while it was hung may become a problem due to the fact the inputs were facing the wall. However, by using a small mirror and a flashlight, the hookup went relatively smoothly.

After finalizing installation I turned on D*'s SD programming (HD bow was to come in a couple of days). I was actually surprised by quality of the picture. So many on here have complained about D*s insane compression of content being very evident on HD displays that I almost feared seeing it for the first time. A few channels had some pretty nasty macroblocking and color saturation issues, especially in the local channels, but overall I was very impressed. That same evening I popped in "The Last Samurai" being fed through component. The PQ was breath taking, from the lush mountain village surroundings, to the night action scenes. Even at the conservative settings, the set showed excellent low light detail and black level performance.

As soon as my H20 came in I hooked it up and went straight to the HD content. I was blown away by the picture initially. However, after careful inspection (ie. viewing the set at less than a foot away) I still saw some minor macroblocking and banding in the picture. I blame much of this on D*'s compression. I then hooked up an antenna to watch some primetime OTA HD content. Almost all of the PQ issues I had seen on my satelite HD content were nowhere to be found.

All in all I am still amazed by the quality of the plasma, and hope to put a 42" LG in my bedroom.

Nice write up! The way your story started off, I thought that you were going to end it with it falling off your wall mount! Glad to see you got everything hooked up.

What is D's compression and H20? Sorry, I'm new to all the acronyms.
post #7 of 1096 Old 04-12-2006, 06:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikefg830 View Post

Great review. I too love the athestetics of the Lg. It is a beautiful set. I total agree with you on the Direct TV. I just recently switched to Comcast and am extremely happy. I can't believe so many people are spending thousands on TV and don't even get a great HD pic through D*. OTA or cable are much better.
post #8 of 1096 Old 04-13-2006, 06:45 AM

Nice to see a thread for the LG brand. Three weeks ago I brought home an LG DU-37LZ30. While the build quality and aesthetics were very nice I was not happy with the quality of the picture. I am new to LCD/plasma TV although I have used an LCD computer monitors for years.

I had the LCD connected via Charter Cable and component wiring. In my opinion there was not enough sharpness in the details and blurring, for instance, in fast-paced basketball games. My terminology is probably weak, so bear with me.

In any case I returned the LCD and came home with an LG 42 PC3D plasma. You might ask why would I purchase the same brand that I had just returned? The price was in my range, it was a newer model, and while Panasonic appears to be so well-regarded, I did not like the looks of their 42 inch model.

The LG 42 PC3D is making me pretty happy. The stand is cumbersome with a large rounded front as opposed to the DU-37LZ30, which had a nice, rectangular base.
In my eyes I am seeing better detail. It may be that I just prefer plasma to LCD,

As a newcomer I would appreciate some advice on hook-up. Should I get an DVI-HDMi cable or use the RGB connection instead of the component cables? Right now I am afraid to use anything but a full-screen to prevent burn in. How important is this? I have read the forums concerning this issue but get some conflicting reports.

Thanks for providing a wealth of information on the subject of HDTV.
post #9 of 1096 Old 04-13-2006, 12:35 PM

I'm considering a 50 inch LG plasma with the built in HDD DVR. Anyone have any experience with this? I have a Philips SD HDD DVR that uses the TVGuide scheduling and am aware of the weaknesses of this guide (although it works pretty well for the price).

How about fan noise? Any problems?

Thanks.
post #10 of 1096 Old 04-13-2006, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

deitripper, good choice with the 42PC3d. As far as connections go, stick to component, DVI and HDMI. All of those pass a HD signal if available. The RGB connection is primarily used for computers, unless you bought a set in the UK which has SCART connections which are sometimes reffered to as RGB if I'm not mistaken. In any case stick to the first three I mentioned for the best quality picture.
post #11 of 1096 Old 04-13-2006, 07:04 PM

Does anyone know if this set has active cooling fans like the Panasonic 50PX60U? The set at the local best buy is mounted such that I can not check it for cooling fans.
post #12 of 1096 Old 04-14-2006, 07:52 AM

got the 42pc3d. great picture, good sound. however connected to a sa 8300hd stb via hdmi i have big audio problems. i get sound on about 10 of the first 100 channels. only 2 of the next 150 channels are silent and all hd channels work. cox cable was baffled by this but, they don't support hdmi anyway. component cables work fine but i miss the sharper hdmi picture. hope a firmware update will fix this issue! this set runs way cooler than the 42" akai i had before and sounds much better.
post #13 of 1096 Old 04-15-2006, 10:53 AM

Any insight on the 50PC1DR? The included HD DVR, good/bad/don't know, wonder if BB has them yet...
post #14 of 1096 Old 04-15-2006, 01:34 PM

Just got a 50PX4DR (much like the PC1DR). The picture from off the air HD is excellent.

I've used that type of DVR with the TVGuide On Screen schedule and it is not as good as the TIVO, ReplayTV or DISH from a users point of view, but works well. It has all the usual DVR functions (pause, record, rewind, fast, slow, etc).

The only problem so far is that I can't get the Auto Demo mode to stay off. Every 10 minutes it switches to that mode. The instructions to disable it don't work. I'm going to call the dealer (BB), then LG.
post #15 of 1096 Old 04-15-2006, 06:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllElectric View Post

Any insight on the 50PC1DR? The included HD DVR, good/bad/don't know, wonder if BB has them yet...

Don't have any particular insight. But I was at BB today - for another topic and saw this exact PDP. It was sitting next to a Pioneer 5061. I was actually quite impressed with the LG. Would not have even thought of it - had it not been right next to the Pioneer.

While it had a bit of red push - very evident next to the Pioneer - overall it was very, very nice. I did fiddle with it for a few minutes and got rid of the red push.

I am now doing more research on this model - simply had never considered it - having seen it - would state that at least on HD (that was the feed in the store) and on HD - DVD (my real reason for being there) it was as good as the other top tier plasmas.

Certainly worthy of consideration - did not check out any other features.

Just my .02$
Therese
post #16 of 1096 Old 04-16-2006, 07:12 PM

hey guys, im new here and looking for more info on LG's plasmas. anyone hear anything on the 42PC1D ? .. and if so how does it compare to the PIO 4360 ? .. any input would be nice kinda stuck between these two .. thanks in advance!
post #17 of 1096 Old 04-16-2006, 07:25 PM

I found the set at Circuit City and it was in a position where I could at least feel the air flow coming from the top. It does look like the 50PC3D does have a cooling fan -- the amount of air blowing out the top exhaust port was significant.

I believe the 42PC3D has passive cooling based on the fact that it has many more air vents than the 50PC3D. The 50" only had a few small air inlets at the bottom and perhaps an 8"x2" vent at the top center. I could be wrong on it as I didn't have a clear view of the rear.
post #18 of 1096 Old 04-16-2006, 07:46 PM

A couple of years ago, there was not an LG made anything on the floors. No TV's, appliances, etc. Now everything but the checkout counter at the local BB seems to be LG.

Other than what the salesmen have been taught to parrot back when I ask the question as to who are these guys, where do they come from and do they have enough background and experience to know how to build a fine TV, does anyone know anything about the company? I wonder who they displaced or took market share from since I find it hard to believe they can become a major player in this country without taking some business away from the established brands, or are they just a rename of someone we knew by another name? Also, a new player to the market doesn't have a lot of design history and learn-from-mistakes, which people like Sony and Panasonic have been doing for years.

If I look at an LG, will I be in danger of wasting a sizable chunk of my hard earned cash instead of going with one of the other established names?

Thanks for any insight....
post #19 of 1096 Old 04-16-2006, 09:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleReid View Post

A couple of years ago, there was not an LG made anything on the floors. No TV's, appliances, etc. Now everything but the checkout counter at the local BB seems to be LG.

Other than what the salesmen have been taught to parrot back when I ask the question as to who are these guys, where do they come from and do they have enough background and experience to know how to build a fine TV, does anyone know anything about the company? I wonder who they displaced or took market share from since I find it hard to believe they can become a major player in this country without taking some business away from the established brands, or are they just a rename of someone we knew by another name? Also, a new player to the market doesn't have a lot of design history and learn-from-mistakes, which people like Sony and Panasonic have been doing for years.

If I look at an LG, will I be in danger of wasting a sizable chunk of my hard earned cash instead of going with one of the other established names?

Thanks for any insight....

LG stands for Lucky-Goldstar (not "Life's Good" as the advertising would have you believe). Goldstar is a brand that's been around for decades as a 'value' brand and an OEM suplier to some major makes (I know they made Panasonic's microware Ovens in the 1990's (and still might). See more at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LG_Group
post #20 of 1096 Old 04-19-2006, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swank View Post

I found the set at Circuit City and it was in a position where I could at least feel the air flow coming from the top. It does look like the 50PC3D does have a cooling fan -- the amount of air blowing out the top exhaust port was significant.

I believe the 42PC3D has passive cooling based on the fact that it has many more air vents than the 50PC3D. The 50" only had a few small air inlets at the bottom and perhaps an 8"x2" vent at the top center. I could be wrong on it as I didn't have a clear view of the rear.

Swank is right about the passive cooling. My unit is dead silent and cant feel any air movement at the vents. Does anyone know why this TV weighs so much less than other 42 inch plasma sets?

According to specs it only weighs 55.6 lbs. minus stand.
post #21 of 1096 Old 04-20-2006, 01:48 AM - Thread Starter

deitripper, I was pretty surprised at how light the plasma was myself. Comparing the specs between other 42" LG plasmas, it looks as if the majority of the weight savings is due to the speaker array. I think they went with smaller drivers and possibly a smaller (in size, not in power) amp. Also, some ancilliary weight might have been saved by the smaller cabinet design and the deletion of components enabling cable card support and PIP.
post #22 of 1096 Old 04-20-2006, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllElectric View Post

Yes, BB does have them, although not many of them. I live in Chicago and they had to go all the way to northern Indiana to get mine! I've had it now for a couple of weeks.

I have it connected to my Sony SAT-HD200 DirecTV receiver, which I used for my previous CRT HD set. This has DVI output, so I got a DVI-to-HDMI adapter to plug it into the LG. I also have a roof-mounted antenna for OTA signals.

The good: Almost undetectable fan noise, and very little heat. Great PQ, especially with my new upconverting Sony DVD player or local OTA HD broadcasts. Having 2 HDMI inputs is great (but those cables are EXPENSIVE!!). TV Guide is nice, but not useful with my DirecTV hookup. The set looks great in my living room. The Tonight Show on OTA HD and the HDMI input is awesome!

The bad: The DVR ONLY WORKS WITH ANTENNA, CABLE OR A/V INPUTS! It will NOT let you record from the component or HDMI inputs. This makes the DVR completely useless to me. Not even the "pause live TV" feature works. This is a MAJOR disappointment! I will have to buy an HD DirecTV box with TiVo to get any decent PVR capabilities. (I wonder if this is some kind of DRM copy-protection issue?)

Also, changing between HDMI inputs is REALLY slow, as it has to establish a data connection, which can take at least a second or two. And while it will automatically skip over inputs that have nothing connected to them, this does not seem to be true for the antenna or cable inputs, so I end up with solid snow on the cable input when cycling through the inputs. I wish there was an easy way to switch to a specific input from the remote.

The ugly: The signal from HBO HD and Showtime HD on the satellite is COMPLETELY unwatchable. What you can see of the picture is random blocks, and no sound at all. Maybe this is an issue with DirecTV or my HD satellite receiver, but that receiver worked fine on HD signals with my CRT (Sony KV-34XBR800). Maybe this older box is too slow to process the input for the LG, but it doesn't even work at 720p, much less at 1080i. I'm doing research now to see how I might be able to fix this.

Would I recommend it? Not if you want to use the DVR for any high-quality signals. Definitely not if you have DirecTV (unless I can figure out why the HD signal is so bad). At this point my satisfaction is about a "6" out of 10.
post #23 of 1096 Old 04-20-2006, 09:28 AM

Mike, thanks for starting this thread. I'm a new LG plasma owner and look forward to sharing my experiences with other owners (or potential ones).

-- XWing
post #24 of 1096 Old 04-20-2006, 02:22 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I have had the 50" 50PX1D since October and I have been a pretty happy camper. I Did some more calibration work over my week long spring break and I think I am getting this set dialed in.

HD and SD Picture Quality
Price
Digital Cable Support

Dislikes:

Only one HDMI port (Going to have to get a switchbox or a Video Processor when I add a HD-DVD/BD player.)

When I purchased this set (I bought at a smaller A/V dealer instead of a Big Box), the only set I thought that surpassed the LG in picture quality was the Pioneer Elite but at nearly twice the price I didn't think it was a 2x improvement.

I also appreciate starting this thread, LG is definately a dark horse in the PDP marketplace.

-- Jim

-- Jim
post #25 of 1096 Old 04-20-2006, 04:28 PM

I'm still mulling over my options and my two major concerns over this set are:

1) Will it accept 1366x768 or 1280x720 inputs over the RGB port from a HTPC. I hope it doesn't only accept 1024x768 and stretch it -- or worse yet, not stretch the input image and leave pillarboxes. Time to take a laptop to BestBuy and do some testing.

2) How it handles deinterlacing of a 1080i signal. With HD-DVD here and Blu-Ray nearly here, I really don't want a 768p set that can't properly deinterlace a 1080i signal (see Gary Merson's tests). Since you can reconstruct a progressive frame from an interlaced film source, I'd hope that the set could properly de-interlace and scale the 1080i output from an HD-DVD or Blu-Ray down to 768p without a huge loss of quality (1080i -> 540i -> 768p). Perhaps future HD/BRD players won't have the issues the current Toshiba unit has with poor internal scaling when the output is set to 720p and eliminate this concern. I'll probably get the sales folks at BestBuy to hook up their HD-DVD player to the set before I buy it.

The set does have slightly worse black levels than the well known sets (Pioneer and Panasonic), but it isn't that bad. And once I have the set in my living room I won't have a much more expensive Pioneer sitting next to it to remind me.
post #26 of 1096 Old 04-20-2006, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmallory View Post

I have had the 50" 50PX1D since October and I have been a pretty happy camper. I Did some more calibration work over my week long spring break and I think I am getting this set dialed in.

HD and SD Picture Quality
Price
Digital Cable Support

Dislikes:

Only one HDMI port (Going to have to get a switchbox or a Video Processor when I add a HD-DVD/BD player.)

When I purchased this set (I bought at a smaller A/V dealer instead of a Big Box), the only set I thought that surpassed the LG in picture quality was the Pioneer Elite but at nearly twice the price I didn't think it was a 2x improvement.

I also appreciate starting this thread, LG is definately a dark horse in the PDP marketplace.

-- Jim

jmallory - thanks for your input. What kind of calibration did you do and what were your findings? I have the same TV and so far, I love it!
post #27 of 1096 Old 04-20-2006, 07:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swank View Post

I'm still mulling over my options and my two major concerns over this set are:

1) Will it accept 1366x768 or 1280x720 inputs over the RGB port from a HTPC. I hope it doesn't only accept 1024x768 and stretch it -- or worse yet, not stretch the input image and leave pillarboxes. Time to take a laptop to BestBuy and do some testing.

2) How it handles deinterlacing of a 1080i signal. With HD-DVD here and Blu-Ray nearly here, I really don't want a 768p set that can't properly deinterlace a 1080i signal (see Gary Merson's tests). Since you can reconstruct a progressive frame from an interlaced film source, I'd hope that the set could properly de-interlace and scale the 1080i output from an HD-DVD or Blu-Ray down to 768p without a huge loss of quality (1080i -> 540i -> 768p). Perhaps future HD/BRD players won't have the issues the current Toshiba unit has with poor internal scaling when the output is set to 720p and eliminate this concern. I'll probably get the sales folks at BestBuy to hook up their HD-DVD player to the set before I buy it.

The set does have slightly worse black levels than the well known sets (Pioneer and Panasonic), but it isn't that bad. And once I have the set in my living room I won't have a much more expensive Pioneer sitting next to it to remind me.

I've ran my 50PX1D to 1360x768 on the RGB input.

-- Jim

-- Jim
post #28 of 1096 Old 04-20-2006, 07:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madflava View Post

jmallory - thanks for your input. What kind of calibration did you do and what were your findings? I have the same TV and so far, I love it!

I used DVE and the Expert Calibration Mode (Hidden Menu)

Calibrated HDMI with DVE being played back from my Powerbook G4.
Calibrated RGB with DVE being played back from my home-built HTPC.
Calibrated Component with DVE being played back through my JVC VHS/DVD/HDD unit.

Calibrated my Direct Cable input using an average from the other three settings as a starting point. Fine tuned using a color bar channel being sent from Comcast in ClearQAM.

Calibrated my Antenna and Video ports with an average of the other settings.

-- Jim

-- Jim
post #29 of 1096 Old 04-20-2006, 09:51 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for keeping this thread alive guys, I got a little worried when it slipped to page 4.

jmallory, how did you access the expert calibration mode on DVE?
post #30 of 1096 Old 04-20-2006, 11:27 PM

Couple comments, I went to CES last January and hung out in the LG booth while a rep was giving a tour to a buyer, just listened to the info. The new LG plasma's have fewer heat producting componets so they run cooler. They had couple units (last year compared to this year) wth the backs off and you could see the layout and the reduced number of capacitors (?). Anyway, it was interesting.

I've put off my purchase date, going to hold out for a Panny 600. Two reasons, didn't need a DVR in the set as it would be unused in light of my TIVO (also waiting for the new HD verion of that), and have to attempt to reduce the number of remote controls (new panny HDVI promises). So that's where I am, waiting for the next generation of everything :^)

Thanks for the comments!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page