HP PL4260N and PL5060N Owners Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 2219 Old 04-25-2006, 06:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am a newbie. Just purchased 4260N at BB yesterday [EDIT].

I am on Comcast with a 6412 DVR digital box. When I connected using just the HDMI cable I had video on the HD channels but no audio. Had audio and picture fine on non-HD channels. Connected with component cables and everything worked fine on both.

Comcast was no help on the audio issue and I couldn't find anything in the HP manual.

Everything else is great. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Roger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 2219 Old 04-25-2006, 06:56 AM

Liked: 10
I'm going with the 42" HP, I'll be pulling the trigger sometime early next month (May 06). I'm really excited.
post #93 of 2219 Old 04-25-2006, 08:55 AM

Folks,
I just got my HP 42" HD plasma and I LOVE IT!!!!!
The PQ with just component video is awsum....tested with digital cable, HD channels and DVD playback.
The setup menu is a bit confusing but aren't they all.
The remote control is well laid out, easy to use and the look of the TV is absolutely SEXY!! The speakers are optional and detachable and who needs them anyway......anyone in the right mind will be using a good Home Theatre amp like a Yamaha with their set.
I had it setup and watching a HD cable channel in less than 15 mins, including the time it took me to connect the power, componet video and s-video connectors.
[EDIT]. I got mine from Best Buy and of course the 4-year extended in-home warranty.

What can I say....don't hesitate, go get one!!!!
Styx,
Frederick, MD
post #94 of 2219 Old 04-25-2006, 10:59 AM

Hello everyone,

This is my first post in the forum which has turned out to be amazing.

My HP 42" gets delivered today and I ordered it on Friday. Wow, they must have the things sitting in a warehouse where I live.

Originally I had the 42" Vizio from Costco but it just didn't hack it with the black levels and big silver bezel.

I decided to get the HP after my buddy who manages over at HP Shopping now HP Small and Home office and indicated that side to side next to last years 42" the picture in their opinion was better. Apparently HP was able to cut costs yet yield a good product. And because I work there I got a good chuck off too so it was a no brainer

I went to best buy last night and looked at them. They look pretty sharp but the feed to them seemed to be "noisy" because the picture would break up on it occasionally, similar to when satellite is going losing signal quality.

As a more or less first time Plasma owner I have read on here that you want to slow break these screens in and was wondering what settings would be appropriate for this TV?

Thanks everyone,
Kevin
post #95 of 2219 Old 04-25-2006, 12:27 PM
ADU
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Anyone else noticed some slight differences in PQ between the 42" and 50"? I was lookin at both last night with contrast and brightness set the same, and the 42" seemed a little brighter or contrastier to me.

ADU
post #96 of 2219 Old 04-25-2006, 12:34 PM
Advanced Member

The 42" has higher brighteness specs. 50" is 1000cd/m 2, 42" is 1200cd/m 2
post #97 of 2219 Old 04-25-2006, 01:10 PM
ADU
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Tks dd. Is that typical with plasmas, for smaller sizes to be a little brighter?

ADU
post #98 of 2219 Old 04-25-2006, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumberg View Post

Question - that first problem you mention (the dual pictures when the set is turned on)....does this occur in both power save modes? I am using the default mode that saves more power when turned-off but takes longer to turn on.

I am using the default power mode (saves power) but I will try changing the mode and see what happens. Also, I went and bought a DVD player with a HDMI output and used that to see if the problem replicates and for the few minutes I tested, I could not replicate the probem. The problem came back once I connected my Comcast cable box. I am starting to suspect that the problem is in the signal that was sent to the TV itself, but I cannot understand why it works fine after changing the channel?
post #99 of 2219 Old 04-25-2006, 02:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADU View Post

Tks dd. Is that typical with plasmas, for smaller sizes to be a little brighter?

You got me, I have never noticed this, I only know on the HP because it is in the instruction manual.
post #100 of 2219 Old 04-25-2006, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phani119 View Post

Yes, Lumberg you are right. The line shows only when watching content in the 4:3 format. No matter how I adjust the screen, the line still shows up.

This is likely from the broadcasting station. From my HDTivo to an MT700 and LCD monitor, both with zero overscan, I get different lines on different channel. Some at the top, some on the side. That the HP shows this line is good in my mind as it's an indication of low or no overscan - the HP is displaying most or all of the picture. Some sets have quite bad and unnecessary overscan - to the point where you lose 10% or more of the original broadcast.
post #101 of 2219 Old 04-25-2006, 04:21 PM

Hello again everyone.... I've had my 4260n for almost 3 weeks now and absolutely love it. And I'm glad to hear that all of you other hp owners feel the same. I do have one question though.... when I watch ESPN, there are 2 black bars on each side of my screen.... but when I watch SportsCenter on a different channel, it fills up the whole screen. Does ESPN not support widescreen or do I need to adjust something on my plasma so that it will fill up the whole screen? ESPN is the only channel that I've noticed this on. Any info or tips will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
post #102 of 2219 Old 04-25-2006, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Is there anyway to adjust overscan on the new HP models? Horizontal/vertical size and position in a service menu perhaps?
post #103 of 2219 Old 04-25-2006, 05:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxer View Post

Is there anyway to adjust overscan on the new HP models? Horizontal/vertical size and position in a service menu perhaps?

Yes there is, but It might only work with the PC source, you might want to read that service manual.

Edit: I just checked in owners manual, these adjustments are only usable through PC connection..
post #104 of 2219 Old 04-25-2006, 08:47 PM

What I've noticed when shopping for my first plasma is that at BB you will go there and almost all the time they will show you the original price even though there are deals out there.

[EDIT]

Just wanted to give a heads up because it was a little fishy to me!

[EDIT]
post #105 of 2219 Old 04-25-2006, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyjar View Post

My considerations:
Panasonic TH-42PX600U - considering (stictly for styling over the 60u)
Pioneer - PDP4360HD - considering, but probably out too expensive, maybe the newer models?
HP - PL4260N - considering
HP - PL5060N - considering

I'm at a distance of approximately 10ft, so I'm on the border with 42" or 50". I can get the 50" HP for less than the 42" 600u Panasonic (also company discount) but the quality might not be there. This is going to be my last TV purchase for quite some time, so getting a new model in a few years isn't going to happen. I'm planning on 15+ years out of this TV. Or do I get the 42" HP and still have spending money. Or forget it all together and wait for the 42" 600u?

Opinions?

For the price, you can never go wrong with the HP. It'd be an amazing deal with the employee discounts. Since its a TV you're going to have for a long time, you should really buy the one you like better. I had my heart set on getting the HP until I saw it next to the Panasonic. You should do a side by side comparison and see if the Panasonic is worth the money.

At 10' ... you can go either way. For me... I'd go for the 50". Bigger is better. I like my screen size to be 2x the size of the TV.
post #106 of 2219 Old 04-26-2006, 12:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Wow, I never considered HP for my plasma buying consideration, but based on this thread and the relatively lower price it's the front runner!

Questions I have:

1) I'm also torn between 42" and 50" as i'll be at about 9.5' viewing distance. In my previous house, i was sitting same distance from my Sony 50" RP LCD and even though SD was sub-optimal the larger size was GREAT for movies and HD content. Will this render SD content simliar to my Sony RPLCD? This will be my first PDP and i've read horror stories about some SD rendering on plasmas (toshiba's come to mind IIRC).

2) How is the reflectivity of the glass? While this doesn't face a window, My living room is where this will sit and the patio glass door sits on the wall to the left so there will be glare from the side. Admittedly most of my viewing is done at night, but I hate having to draw the curtains and make my living room a cave just to watch TV..

3) From the specs, the relevant inputs to me are: 1 HDMI, 1 VGA, and 2 component. I have a Media Center PC which has DVI, my Xbox 360 which is component and a comcast HD STB which is DVI or component. My media center looks like it should connect either by DVI-->HDMI converter or through the VGA connection. Which connection is better? I vaguely remember reading that the DVI-->HDMI is all digital path (and thus better) whereas VGA is a digital-->analog conversion.
post #107 of 2219 Old 04-26-2006, 02:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDef Newbie View Post

Hello again everyone.... I've had my 4260n for almost 3 weeks now and absolutely love it. And I'm glad to hear that all of you other hp owners feel the same. I do have one question though.... when I watch ESPN, there are 2 black bars on each side of my screen.... but when I watch SportsCenter on a different channel, it fills up the whole screen. Does ESPN not support widescreen or do I need to adjust something on my plasma so that it will fill up the whole screen? ESPN is the only channel that I've noticed this on. Any info or tips will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Are you watching the HD versions of ESPN? I have DirecTV and get two HD versions of ESPN -- eventhough a majority of the content isn't really HD. One of those channels shows a lot content in 4:3 (black bars on side). From what I've seen (and read from others), the HP's can not zoom on an HD channel. So, eventhough the content is 4:3, the HP's aspect ratio options can't fill the entire screen if the source is an HD channel.
post #108 of 2219 Old 04-26-2006, 03:13 AM - Thread Starter

[quote=bobby_t1]Wow, I never considered HP for my plasma buying consideration, but based on this thread and the relatively lower price it's the front runner!

Questions I have:

1) SD on RPLCD vs PDP

Hard to say. My only experience with SD on an HDTV has been with this HP plasma and a 1080p LCD flat panel. The HP does SD a tad better than the LCD, but I have no idea if the HP would look better than a RPLCD. I posted some SD pics in this thread. Take a look and let me know if you have any questions.

2) How is the reflectivity of the glass?

The glass is very reflective. As long as your window is to the left or right of your TV, I don't think you'll have a problem. I have a large window directly in front of my plasma (facing the TV). That's probably the absolute worst case scenario for PDP. My only saving grace is that the window faces north and doesn't get any direct sun light into the house. Also, I have a roller shade that covers the window (but it's white and is more for privacy than killing a glare).

So how bad is it? During the day, the reflection is pretty strong if I'm sitting dead center on my couch with the window directly behind me and the plasma directly in front of me. This is with the roller shade down. Even with my contrast and brightness turned down below 50 I can watch the TV , but the glare is definitely noticeable.

Now, if I sit on the right side of my courch, I don't see the reflection at all. So, during the day that's typically where I sit and experience no glare. My point in saying all of this is that even with a window directly in front of the PDP, I can still watch it without glare by sitting a few feet to the right. If you're window is to the left or right of your TV and you're sitting directly in front of the PDP, you should be fine.
post #109 of 2219 Old 04-26-2006, 05:35 AM

What Exactly Is An Hdmi Switch ?
post #110 of 2219 Old 04-26-2006, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARFORD View Post

What Exactly Is An Hdmi Switch ?

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
post #111 of 2219 Old 04-26-2006, 06:56 AM
Advanced Member

bobby_t1,
I have a friend with the 42".window is right across room facing west, he has no visable reflections but at this time the panel is at a slight angle as he has not pushed his entertainment center back against the wall, so we will see when he gets cable he is waiting on. As to pc connection, I would like a follow-up on this connection as I have a Nvidia card with DVI and it is not the same connector as the Panel, you mention adapter, is this something that might work?
post #112 of 2219 Old 04-26-2006, 07:00 AM

I'm going with the 42" HP, I would like to get an articulating mount. I prefer the Peerless PLA-1 anyone know what kind of adapter plate I need with it? It's not listed in the mount finder tool.
post #113 of 2219 Old 04-26-2006, 07:17 AM
Advanced Member

You might find out from HP.
post #114 of 2219 Old 04-26-2006, 09:36 AM

Has anyone with these hp plasmas noticed any bad image retention or burn in yet? just wondering
post #115 of 2219 Old 04-26-2006, 09:38 AM

I love my 4260n n i was also wondering how many of you with the hp plasmas hav been playn any xbox 360
post #116 of 2219 Old 04-26-2006, 11:16 AM

I Saw The Pl5060n Hooked Up To A Toshiba Hd Dvd Via Hdmi At My Local Bb And The Picture Was Awesome. Facial Tones With The 10000: 1 Contrast Ratio Are Superb And Imo It Makes Up For The Slightly Lower Resolution. I Have Done Tons Of Research And Imo This Unit Is The Best Bang For The Buck. For The Money Can Anyone Suggest Anything Else That Is As Good ?
post #117 of 2219 Old 04-26-2006, 01:02 PM

Finally got it and hooked it up last night. Pretty solid design and the picture is great. Considering for me it was barely more than the Vizio at Costco's March Madness Price, without a doubt this PDP is amazing and well worth it. Sportscenter last night was amazing and delivered the quaility I missed from my Mitsu HD Rear Projection.

Now I just need to get myself a HD DVD and never leave the room.

Thanks HP for delivering a solid unit and quick delivery.
post #118 of 2219 Old 04-26-2006, 01:25 PM

Nobody ever answers my ?s on this forum is it b cuz I am a new member is there a break in period for new members how many post do I need to get sumone to answer me
post #119 of 2219 Old 04-26-2006, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejb4 View Post

Nobody ever answers my ?s on this forum is it b cuz I am a new member is there a break in period for new members how many post do I need to get sumone to answer me

I don't think it's because your new, I think that's the trouble with forums in general, sometimes questions, and answers for that matter get lost in the thread. To answer your question:

I Don't have the plasma or X360 yet, but as soon as I get both I'll let you know.
post #120 of 2219 Old 04-26-2006, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejb4 View Post

Sorry...I think we just missed your question. Are you referring to your question about the Seinfeld DVD being good for break-in?
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page