HP PL4260N and PL5060N Owners Thread - Page 64 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1891 of 2219 Old 03-14-2008, 06:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It seems like I've been bit by the same "mal discharge" problem. My TV is out of warranty having been delivered in late 2006. I called HP and so far, they're refusing to do anything other than to refer me to Best Buy for paid support. BB wants $100 just to come out and look at it.

An HP duty manager suggested that if I wanted to pursue an out-of-warranty claim, I'd have to work through their corporate offices but wouldn't give me any details. Does anybody have the contact info for the office that is responsible for the TVs? My TV does fall in the serial number range for the "no picture, no sound" issue but that's not the problem I have or my warranty would be extended by a year.

I actually won this TV from HP. I am hoping that all of the good things I've said about HP will come back and help me and that they'll support an out-of-warranty service issue. I'm sure not going to be pay BB $100 plus the $760 that somebody said the part cost to fix this TV with the risk that it might not completely fix the problem or only gets me another year.

Happy owner of an HP PL-4260N that I won from HP in an online sweepstakes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1892 of 2219 Old 03-17-2008, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackadidashat View Post

So I finally buy a hdmi cable for my ps3 and viola! my picture is perfect!

I read online somewhere about how to adjust the voltage, and that helped with the non-hdmi red pixel mal-discharge sparkley flare issue.

I've been HDMI-connected since day 1 and I have the mal-discharge issue after the TV's been on for about an hour.

Once the TV starts doing it, even disconnecting the HDMI cable doesn't help - I can see the issues in the TV menus with no input whatsoever.

.../Ed

post #1893 of 2219 Old 03-25-2008, 08:41 PM

Well I have had the mal-discharge problem for some time as well. I first found that if you had a fan running behind the set that it would not happen at all. Heat related issue, it seems. Later I got a old Dell CPU fan, approx. 3" 12 volt fan, quietest fan I had laying around and picked off 12 volts from the power supply board and placed the fan in various spots and it seems to work the best on a heat sink that is located directly behind the power button. I believe the board is called X buffer right. I also don't have the back on the set, which seems to help with air flow. Since running it this way the problem hasn't happened for a long time. I also found that if you have the picture settings mode set to vivid it seems to accelerate the problem. I have mine set to user mode and settings set to: brightness +73, contrast +34, saturation +38, hue 0, sharpness +27, color temp checked for cold. You might try this on your set and see if it helps you. I also have a extra main board if anyone is interested in buying it let me know.
post #1894 of 2219 Old 03-28-2008, 10:29 AM

ewilts, check this link:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...roduct=1832457

(I think this was already posted in this forum) My TV had the same problem, but I had extended warranty from BB. Their tech replaced one of the boards on the back of the TV, and I haven't seen any issues since. BTW, I also purchased my TV late 2006, and my S/N falls within the range covered by the extended warranty.
post #1895 of 2219 Old 03-28-2008, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkoG View Post

ewilts, check this link:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...roduct=1832457

(I think this was already posted in this forum) My TV had the same problem, but I had extended warranty from BB. Their tech replaced one of the boards on the back of the TV, and I haven't seen any issues since. BTW, I also purchased my TV late 2006, and my S/N falls within the range covered by the extended warranty.

I did see this and mentioned this to HP when I logged my service call. Unfortunately they told me that although my serial number is also in this range, I don't have this particular problem so it doesn't apply to me. I don't have any sort of extended warranty - I never had the option since I won this TV directly from HP.

I did reference this article in my letter to HP Senior VP of the Personal Systems Group. The letter went out on the 18th and I have not received an answer yet.

I'd even be willing to pay for the labor if HP pays for the part (which was quoted in this thread as costing $760).

post #1896 of 2219 Old 03-29-2008, 07:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewilts View Post

I never had the option since I won this TV directly from HP.

When you say "won" do you mean you got it for free, and now you are complaining it doesn't work?

Xbox 360: Deezul AwT
HDTV since 2004, 3D since 2011
Go Jackets!
post #1897 of 2219 Old 03-29-2008, 10:54 PM

To the question regarding the voltage adjustment to fix pixel flare/red sparkles, here is what the poster of that message sent me in an email:

My question:

Did the tech say how he adjusted the voltage?

Is the set still working fine?

did he have to replace any parts or just adjust?

Thanks.

The reponse:

He had a voltmeter hooked to the main board ( don't know how) and he was turning some dial with a mini slotted screwdriver. I wish I could be more helpful, but I really wasn't paying that much attention. I'm not having the same problem, but I'm having some similar issues from image burn-in.

My further thoughs: sounds like he was turning some kind of pot on the board that adjusts voltage.
post #1898 of 2219 Old 03-29-2008, 10:56 PM

Given the many posters here and their issues with 4260 pixel flare, red sparkles, etc, and the fact we are getting a crap response from HP, maybe we need to band together in a group letter and try and make some demands that way.

Imagine how many others like us there must be out there?
post #1899 of 2219 Old 03-30-2008, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezul View Post

When you say "won" do you mean you got it for free, and now you are complaining it doesn't work?

Yes. However, free is relative - HP issued a 1099 form for $1,499 so I did have to declare it as income and pay taxes on it.

I don't believe it was HP's intention to award a defective TV as a prize and the fact that I did not pay full retail value should have no impact on their support. I am a large business customer of theirs and never did they question how much I paid for an item when they considered how to support it.

post #1900 of 2219 Old 03-30-2008, 11:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yes. However, free is relative - HP issued a 1099 form for $1,499 so I did have to declare it as income and pay taxes on it.

I don't believe it was HP's intention to award a defective TV as a prize and the fact that I did not pay full retail value should have no impact on their support. I am a large business customer of theirs and never did they question how much I paid for an item when they considered how to support it.

You had to declare it as income, and the appropriate tax. So you free TV cost you $500? The next time you get something free from HP, let me know. Ship it to me and I'll pay the tax, if the hit to the pocket book is that big.

I have had ZERO problems with my HP that I bought open box and have had for 18 months. Your TV happened to be defective - it doesn't mean they all are. As has been posted numerous times, no one posts to say their TV works fine, only that there are problems.

Go Jackets!
post #1901 of 2219 Old 03-30-2008, 12:06 PM

Quote:

Your TV happened to be defective - it doesn't mean they all are.

Correct on both counts, and I never implied otherwise. There are 2 common/chronic problems on this TV that I'm aware of - the "mal discharge" problem and the "no picture, no display" problem. I didn't mean to imply that all of HP's TV were bad, or that even this line was bad. HP will extend the end user warranty for the 2nd problem, but not the first. Nor do they have to. I *want* them to, but they don't *have* to.

post #1902 of 2219 Old 03-30-2008, 12:13 PM
Advanced Member

^^^^Time to change your sig then!

Go Jackets!
post #1903 of 2219 Old 03-30-2008, 02:41 PM

Quote:

^^^^Time to change your sig then!

I'm still happy!

.../Ed

post #1904 of 2219 Old 04-01-2008, 05:23 PM

Hey everybody. My tv has been faced with the same plague of pixel flare. The main board was replaced by HP only to cause severe burn in and horrible picture quality. On trip 2, the tech told us we need a new tv and I have been fighting with an account manager (post-escalation) because he wants to send a refurbished television. To me, it is unacceptable. I have another call with him tomorrow and will update with progress. IMO, a tv this expensive should NOT have a 1 year service life. We bought ours in March 07 and stared having problems by October 07.
post #1905 of 2219 Old 04-02-2008, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XScarAudio View Post

Hey everybody. My tv has been faced with the same plague of pixel flare. The main board was replaced by HP only to cause severe burn in and horrible picture quality. On trip 2, the tech told us we need a new tv and I have been fighting with an account manager (post-escalation) because he wants to send a refurbished television. To me, it is unacceptable.

I believe that a refurbished TV is acceptable as long as you get a decent warranty on the replacement unit. He should be able to give you at least 90 days which is after your current warranty expires.

However, I see in other posts here that an updated control module does fix the problem. Is that the board that the tech replaced? If not, then perhaps he replaced the wrong part and you need to replace the main board and then the control module (and hope the burn in isn't permanent).

Quote:

I have another call with him tomorrow and will update with progress. IMO, a tv this expensive should NOT have a 1 year service life. We bought ours in March 07 and stared having problems by October 07.

It should not have a 1 year service life but it has a 1 year warranty. Those 2 are very different concepts. One part in your TV has failed - the entire unit has not failed.

You're really down to 3 options. 1) have the tech identify the right part that's failed and replace it. 2) get the refurbed unit. 3) Convince HP to replace the unit with a new model. In my opinion, option 3 is the hardest option to achieve and something that the techs probably can't approve. You'll need to contact their corporate offices and come up with a compelling reason why they should do this. If the tech destroyed your TV by installing a faulty part, that might be adequate justification.

When I wrote a letter to their corporate offices, it was about 2 weeks before they contacted me. So far, it looks promising for me but my TV's not fixed yet... Drop me a PM if you want the contact info but don't expect a quick fix nor a guaranteed response.

post #1906 of 2219 Old 04-02-2008, 12:59 PM

PM sent. How are they treating your case?
post #1907 of 2219 Old 04-04-2008, 01:36 PM

Still awaiting a call back from my case manager. This is really a pain. Going to resend my letter via snail-mail this weekend.
post #1908 of 2219 Old 04-05-2008, 07:46 AM

I was supposed to receive a call back from the case manager in 24-48 hours starting late Monday afternoon. I finally talked to my contact in the executive offices again on Friday who got me in touch with the case manager. I was then told that he didn't know what he could do for me since I am out of warranty and he's supposed to get back in touch with the executive offices to see what they're able to authorize.

I don't know if HP is going to do anything for me at all. It's ironic that one of the worst places for the artifacts to show up is during the basketball games that advertise "HDTV presented by HP".

It's somewhat sad that I'm hoping for the "no picture, no display" failure since then HP will fix the TV for free.

post #1909 of 2219 Old 04-05-2008, 11:01 AM

Hi all. I too started having the pixel flare issues after the one year hp warranty ran out. I never buy extended warranties but for some reason I did for my PL 4260n TV. ESP or luck I don't know. Anyway mine has been in the shop for a week and I talked to the tech yesterday. Of course thanks to you guys I already knew what the problem was and told him what it was. He contacted HP and tried adjusting the votage first which did not fix the problem. A new control board is on the way. I'll let you know how it turns out but I'm optimistic. Plus I have a four year warranty for this puppy. I loved the picture before the flare up issues. It also looked pretty good with standard definition channels.

I feel for those out of warranty because this is obviouly a design flaw due to lack of testing on HP's part.
post #1910 of 2219 Old 04-05-2008, 04:33 PM

My set will be two years old in May, so it is out of the one year warranty. I have no extended warranty. You can see my posts above.

I began having pixel flare (red static like pixels that flare up in mass and randomly all about the screen, more on the left side than the right.) I alerted HP to this problem right before my warranty ran out, and again via email about two months ago. On the email I attached many of the posts here, saying this must be a defect in the product.

Last Sunday night I spent about 45 minutes on the 800 number with Chuck. We went thru the usual steps of resetting TV via the wizzard, the cold shut down, etc, but the pixel problem of course persisted. I informed him many others have had the same problem as posted on the AVS Forum.

He took lots of notes and knew I was past warranty. He was a very nice guy, polite, very knowledgable, and very professional. After going thru the exercises he indicated to me this issue was a problem in a number of sets and that he was authorizing a repair at HP's cost, as if still under warranty, essentially due to a production problem. Two days later via FedX parts arrived at my house and today, Greg, a local HP contracter, came to my house.

We pulled the TV down from the wall mount, laid it face down on blankets on a table, and he pulled off the back housing. He put in a new controller board, which is located under some other boards mounted above it on another frame. I was glad I watched 1st hand and close up as I also noticed that a multi-wire (8 or more wires) plastic connector on one of the other circuit boards was unevenly in place -- essentially not locked down. he said "good catch" and properly reset the connector.

He put the back housing back on the TV and we hung it back on the wall and hooked her up. Immediately upon firing up with the "HP Intializing" screen coming up I could see that the nasty red (and sometimes green and blueish) flares were 100% gone. I have been running the set for about 6 hours straight today and it is still pixel flare/static-like burst, what ever you want to call them, free. Those nasty little bas*rds are gone.

The tech took the old control panel with him and sends that back to HP.

I am a very happy camper and the TV is performing flawlessly, with a picture that is better than ever. Cost to me was zero.

So, I have gone from a person who would have never purchased another HP product if they had not fixed this TV, to one who was rather impressed with my dealing with HP this week.

The control panel is not very large -- maybe 5 inches by 7 inches -- and has an LG micro-chip of some sort in the middle.

I am sure that the control panel must have been defective, but I also wonder if the loose/improperly seated connector may have also been causing me problems. At any rate, my TV is again cranking out at fine HD picture.

I will update this message if I experience any problems.

Good luck to others.
post #1911 of 2219 Old 04-09-2008, 02:42 PM

Well, my 4260 was officially declared a lemon today. They were at my house for the 4th time and decided it would be more cost effective to let it go. My BB service man was really great, but BB as a corp plain sucks. I bought the thing for 1300 + 300 for the PSP for a total of 1600. When I went today for a replacement they said an $800 insignia was the comparable model or I could have an $800 credit toward another TV. I was super pissed and they basically told me that's just the way it is. I raised enough hell to get another 200 toward the credit, but I still felt pigeon holed into the whole situation. I ended up going with a 50" LG this time. I really didn't want to give those leaches another dime, but I felt like I had no choice. I laughed in his face when they offered another PSP. I'm officially done with the HP so good luck to any of you guys still having problems
post #1912 of 2219 Old 04-09-2008, 03:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swank501 View Post

Well, my 4260 was officially declared a lemon today. They were at my house for the 4th time and decided it would be more cost effective to let it go. My BB service man was really great, but BB as a corp plain sucks. I bought the thing for 1300 + 300 for the PSP for a total of 1600. When I went today for a replacement they said an $800 insignia was the comparable model or I could have an $800 credit toward another TV. I was super pissed and they basically told me that's just the way it is. I raised enough hell to get another 200 toward the credit, but I still felt pigeon holed into the whole situation. I ended up going with a 50" LG this time. I really didn't want to give those leaches another dime, but I felt like I had no choice. I laughed in his face when they offered another PSP. I'm officially done with the HP so good luck to any of you guys still having problems

It was widely discussed early in this thread (as far back as page 1) that the 4260 & 5060 were actually manufactured by LG. I.E... this response to shragen from dirtydan:
[Quote: Originally Posted by shragen
Does anybody know if they are still using rebranded Panasonic's? I noticed that the numbering equals the new 60u panasonics...]

"I have the whole service manual, it is for sure an LG"

A year before the 4260/5060 series HP offered the 4200N & 5000N models, which were rebranded Panasonic 500U's (I have a 5000N that still works and looks great). The next year it was widely discussed that they (HP) switched to LG to source these models. Therefore you just bought a set made by the same people who built the one you're disgusted with. Why???
post #1913 of 2219 Old 04-09-2008, 06:46 PM

LG supplies the screens on these models, HP supplies there own controller boards. Atleast that is what the Tech was telling me while he was here. LG supplies the screens for many other brands as well. When The picture was working it was great, that's why I went LG
post #1914 of 2219 Old 04-11-2008, 10:23 AM

Quote:

I don't know if HP is going to do anything for me at all.

I heard from HP today and am *very* happy now! I was given the choice of having my TV repaired for free or having it replaced with a refurbished unit and I chose the repair. The part(s) will be shipped directly to me and then somebody will phone me to set up a repair time.

Since I was out of warranty, HP has obviously gone above and beyond the call of duty. This is excellent customer service!

.../Ed

post #1915 of 2219 Old 04-12-2008, 10:22 PM

Got my tv back with the new control board installed, Everything is great been on all day with no problems. Time will tell I guess.
post #1916 of 2219 Old 04-17-2008, 02:51 AM

I just had my PL4260N die monday on me. I was on my computer with my
tv on behind me as usual and i heard a pop sound. I turned around
wondering what the hell the noise was to see i had no picture on my tv.
It sounded like a capacitor blowing out. I called best buy immediately cause
i have a four year warranty. They asked a few questions then said they'd
call me the following day between 7-9am. They called around 8am saying
they'll be out around 2-4pm that day. The guy showed up around 3pm opened
up the tv and told me the board on the right side(as if you were watching the
tv) went bad and that he was also gonna replace the board on the other side
also just in case. The repair guy went back to his van to check if they had
the boards available, which they didn't. And said he'd have to order them and
probably won't have them till the end of the month. Damn after finding this
site when my tv died looking up any similar problems, i'm glad i got a four year
warranty and not a 2 year which i originally thought i got. Luckily i still got my
old 32 inch RCA which is weird watching after getting used to a widescreen
tv. I just hope it gets fixed before gta iv comes out!
post #1917 of 2219 Old 04-17-2008, 08:28 AM

Quote:

I heard from HP today and am *very* happy now! I was given the choice of having my TV repaired for free or having it replaced with a refurbished unit and I chose the repair. The part(s) will be shipped directly to me and then somebody will phone me to set up a repair time.

Since I was out of warranty, HP has obviously gone above and beyond the call of duty. This is excellent customer service!

Quick update: HP committed to the fix on Friday and the new control board was delivered to my house by FedEx on Monday. A tech called yesterday and will be out this afternoon to do the fix. By the time I get home from work, I should have a TV that appears brand new again!

post #1918 of 2219 Old 04-17-2008, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowofdeath15 View Post

The repair guy went back to his van to check if they had the boards available, which they didn't. And said he'd have to order them and probably won't have them till the end of the month.

When I needed a new control board (I don't know if that's the part you need), HP shipped it out FedEx for next business delivery - ordered on Friday and delivered on Monday. I would hope that you would get your part by tomorrow or Monday at the latest.

post #1919 of 2219 Old 04-17-2008, 09:47 AM

Update:
Refurbished TV will be here on Monday.

Last night, the tv (which had the pixel flare corrected a few months ago) is showing signs of pixel flare again. Unfortunately, I fear the worst with the new/refurbished TV. Hopefully issues happen within the 90 day warranty so I'm not stuck with a bricked TV.

I'll keep everyone posted.
post #1920 of 2219 Old 04-17-2008, 09:29 PM

Quote:

Quick update: HP committed to the fix on Friday and the new control board was delivered to my house by FedEx on Monday. A tech called yesterday and will be out this afternoon to do the fix. By the time I get home from work, I should have a TV that appears brand new again!

Unfortunately the problem is not as bad as it was before, but it's still there. I'll be calling HP again tomorrow... Sigh...

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page