post #91 of 5448 Old 05-04-2006, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.E View Post

@Shane55 - In HDMI and HD Component's i can only do 16:9 and 4:3. Which is not a problem for me because my Adelphia HD DVR takes care of any zooming and stretching and i can switch it on the fly through there. About overscan,individual color,and,gamma it has it in the service menu,But im too nervous to touch anything there besides checking my plasma display time. It does have color temps on the regular menu as Cool1,Cool2,Normal,Warm1,and Warm2.

And last but not least yes settings are memorized by each input,I found that to be very relaxing.lol.

Thanks S.E.
This Sammy sounds pretty right-on. I'll try to check one out this weekend. The Pio I bought from Costco last weekend is a real POS and is going back Sat. morning. I"ll need a replacement... fast!

BTW... congrats on your new Sammy.

shane

"Yes Eve... I like to watch." - Chauncey Gardener.

My HT Setup:
http://www.fototime.com/A0E2793180FB3D0/orig.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 5448 Old 05-04-2006, 03:38 PM
Advanced Member

I checked one out today at my local Sears and, well, was not really impressed with the picture: maybe because it was a POS antenna cable and not component, but it did not look nice at all.

Also, maybe its just that I want to have control over anything but the settings in the menu do not allow much of a control over the picture...

Going to Circiut city tomorrow...
post #93 of 5448 Old 05-04-2006, 05:49 PM
S.E

thats weird mustve been how they had it setup cuz trust me its an impressive picture =D
post #94 of 5448 Old 05-04-2006, 06:05 PM
Advanced Member

..well they did not have it setup ...I set it up. The guy that worked in the TV dept. must have been 105 years old

I just hooked up the antenna cable...
post #95 of 5448 Old 05-04-2006, 07:00 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshplt View Post

..well they did not have it setup ...I set it up. The guy that worked in the TV dept. must have been 105 years old

I just hooked up the antenna cable...

I bought the HP-S4253 and hooked up an antenna cable to make sure it worked. Well, I got a picture, but thats about it. On that kind of connection no widescreen large Plasma tv will look good. Its simple, a resolution that bad being stretched to a larger screen will always disappoint.

Trust me when I say on HD this TV bursts into life. Side by side with most other manufacturers (I exclude Pioneer and Hitachi) my opinion is this TV is on par if not better than the competition. I am yet to see how it looks on my Digital Cable SD channels (hopefully better than the antenna cable) as that will not be hooked up until Saturday.

My honest concerns with this TV are:
- A slight red push
- Slight lack of detail in dark scenes

Both of these concerns only regard PQ. However, it must be noted that I have not run AVIA yet and know my contrast and brightness settings are way off as even a simple Xbox 360 game calibration test showed how far off my blacks to white were as 4 of 12 boxes were not visible (solid black). Simple tuning gave back the definition, but for the break in period I kept every setting under 40%.
post #96 of 5448 Old 05-04-2006, 07:07 PM
Advanced Member

Thank you for the clarification Phil....
I'm sure this TV is great, I just wish I could find one that was properly setup...
post #97 of 5448 Old 05-04-2006, 07:16 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

I checked one out today at my local Sears and, well, was not really impressed with the picture: maybe because it was a POS antenna cable and not component, but it did not look nice at all.

Ditto! My Sears had some lame fish aquarium feed running on every screen and it was not impressive -- so I won't comment on PQ. But I was actually more disappointed in the packaging! The "piano" black frame is really shiny (plexiglas) and you can see warping or sink marks along the bottom when looking from the side -- probably at locations where the unit is screwed together. Cheaper looking than I had hoped.
post #98 of 5448 Old 05-05-2006, 06:05 AM

I've been following this thread religiously. Philh930, I'm really looking forward to your xbox 360 impressions once you get past the break-in period. I am curious to see if it looks better with the 360 set at 720p or 1080i. I'm hoping it handles 720p very well.

Have you thought about using the full screen visualization in the music player menu on the 360 to get some time on the tv during the break-in period? It gives you random patterns, so there doesn't seem to be any risk of burn-in from those images. You would need to turn off the screen saver (auto-dimmer) in the system/console settings menu. The only potential problem I can think of is if the music player gets to the end of the playlist, it may go back to the menus, which would pose some risk if you aren't monitoring it.
post #99 of 5448 Old 05-05-2006, 07:45 AM
S.E

Ryu i can clarify calibrated that this tv looks superb on 720 running xbox360. Ive tested Ghost Recon, Oblivion, Need for Speed, The Outfit, Blazing Angels, And Tomb Raider. All look great. The only thing i can think of is how am I gonna factor in game mode as it seems to make the picture darker but more defined at the same time.
post #100 of 5448 Old 05-05-2006, 08:41 AM

Ghost Recon on a new Sammy plasma. . . . (drool). . .

Given the wicked contrasts with sunlight and shadows in Ghost Recon, plus the variety in times of day that the levels are set in, I'd think that game would be a very demanding test.

S.E, you said game mode makes it look darker but more defined. If you are looking at an area with intense sunlight as well as shadows, do the black levels look more refined in the shadow areas with game mode on than with it off?

One other question - You can still adjust the display settings in game mode, right?
post #101 of 5448 Old 05-05-2006, 11:26 AM

Hello to ALL,
last night I sat down and teaked my HP-S5053 until it showed off it's full potential and PEOLPE...it looks like I'm keeping the Darn Thing. Yesterday I wrote that i was considering returning it back to the store, but F*@# THAT it's definately a keeper. Try these settings:
Contrast 75
Brightness 70
Color 55
Sharp 75

Color temp. either Cool1 or Standard..

I have one for the Xbox360 and my LG Upconv't DVD player as well. I'll post those after work (Memory Leak)....

If you'll remember I really was confused and wanted to return the set, but after setting it to my preference and having my expectations met; I can now say that whoever owns one of these 42 or 50' BAdAss Plasma's should be ecstatic!!!!
post #102 of 5448 Old 05-05-2006, 11:27 AM
S.E

You can adjust display with it on game mode. I see it as a template to first put it on then use that to adjust to your liking.the sunlight in Ghost Recon with game mode on seems to show shadows a darker black and make it blend better but you will have to fix the brightness after u set game mode,i had to because game mode made it slightly darker to play in. I see sometimes my self turnin it on and turnin it back off im just picky that way.
post #103 of 5448 Old 05-05-2006, 01:42 PM

I finally pulled the trigger and bought the Sammy 4253 today
(from BestBuy)....this is my first Plasma TV - so the question I
have:

- Should I buy the protection plan ? (it is $299 for 4 yr)
[includes parts & labor]

thanks,
/Ikram.
post #104 of 5448 Old 05-05-2006, 02:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
1) I'm torn between 42" and 50" as i'll be at about 9.5' viewing distance. In my previous house, i was sitting same distance from my Sony 50" RP LCD and even though SD was sub-optimal the larger size was GREAT for movies and HD content. I actually got used to the poor look of SD to be honest.

On my Sony RPLCD, i watched all 4:3 content as 4:3 since there was no burn-in risk. So 4:3 content on a 42" 16:9 is equivalent to a 34" 4:3 image. Since i previuosly upgraded from a 36" 4:3 CRT, i didn't want to go smaller in size. 4:3 content on a 50" 16:9 is equivalent to a 40".

However, now since my media center has great zoom/stretch modes, and risk of burn-in/IR on plasma is higher, i'll watch the 4:3 stretched. So everything I watch will be larger, which makes we question whether i want a 42" or 50" version of this set.

2) How is the reflectivity of the glass? While this doesn't face a window, My living room is where this will sit and the patio glass door sits on the wall to the left so there will be glare from the side. Admittedly most of my viewing is done at night, but I hate having to draw the curtains and make my living room like the Bat cave just to watch TV..
post #105 of 5448 Old 05-05-2006, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

bobby
You sound like me...

I've heard it said that screens never seem go grow... only shrink. I've also heard it said that few regret getting the larger of the two choices.

Just something to consider. YMMV

shane

My HT Setup:
post #106 of 5448 Old 05-05-2006, 05:12 PM

how's the TV do at deinterlacing? i'm considering the 42" ED version. Here's a noob question: if i want the TV to do the deinterlacing instead of my DVD player, is it as simple as turning the pro-scan off from my DVD player? Or does something need to be enabled/disabled in the TV settings?
post #107 of 5448 Old 05-05-2006, 07:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby_t1 View Post

1) I'm torn between 42" and 50" as i'll be at about 9.5' viewing distance. In my previous house, i was sitting same distance from my Sony 50" RP LCD and even though SD was sub-optimal the larger size was GREAT for movies and HD content. I actually got used to the poor look of SD to be honest.

On my Sony RPLCD, i watched all 4:3 content as 4:3 since there was no burn-in risk. So 4:3 content on a 42" 16:9 is equivalent to a 34" 4:3 image. Since i previuosly upgraded from a 36" 4:3 CRT, i didn't want to go smaller in size. 4:3 content on a 50" 16:9 is equivalent to a 40".

However, now since my media center has great zoom/stretch modes, and risk of burn-in/IR on plasma is higher, i'll watch the 4:3 stretched. So everything I watch will be larger, which makes we question whether i want a 42" or 50" version of this set.

2) How is the reflectivity of the glass? While this doesn't face a window, My living room is where this will sit and the patio glass door sits on the wall to the left so there will be glare from the side. Admittedly most of my viewing is done at night, but I hate having to draw the curtains and make my living room like the Bat cave just to watch TV..

in addition to these questions, I'm wondering what stands people are using. I'm considering wall mounting this thing which should be the best solution overall for aesthetics, but I know you can't run power cables through the walls for safety issues. How are people wall mounting these? What do you do with the cables?
post #108 of 5448 Old 05-05-2006, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

I would install an outlet behind the unit.

to each his own...
post #109 of 5448 Old 05-05-2006, 08:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slogun View Post

I would install an outlet behind the unit.

then run the componetn and HDMI wires through the wall?
post #110 of 5448 Old 05-05-2006, 11:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby_t1 View Post

then run the componetn and HDMI wires through the wall?

Yes sir.Thats what i did.Mounted my TV,put the outlet behind the wall.Then i ran my 2 component video and audio along with a HDMI down the wall.

PN58B860

TCP50GT50

post #111 of 5448 Old 05-05-2006, 11:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macarpi View Post

Hello to ALL,
last night I sat down and teaked my HP-S5053 until it showed off it's full potential and PEOLPE...it looks like I'm keeping the Darn Thing. Yesterday I wrote that i was considering returning it back to the store, but F*@# THAT it's definately a keeper. Try these settings:
Contrast 75
Brightness 70
Color 55
Sharp 75

Color temp. either Cool1 or Standard..

I have one for the Xbox360 and my LG Upconv't DVD player as well. I'll post those after work (Memory Leak)....

If you'll remember I really was confused and wanted to return the set, but after setting it to my preference and having my expectations met; I can now say that whoever owns one of these 42 or 50' BAdAss Plasma's should be ecstatic!!!!

Dude how do the blacks do? Cause generally you dont want to have the brightness that high or close to the contrast.Sharpness really doesnt have to be that high either.Have you let your TV play around 100 hours yet?

PN58B860

TCP50GT50

post #112 of 5448 Old 05-06-2006, 01:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi im drummer03 View Post

Yes sir.Thats what i did.Mounted my TV,put the outlet behind the wall.Then i ran my 2 component video and audio along with a HDMI down the wall.

Mounting the TV shouldn't be that hard, i figure find the studs, screw it in at teh right height and I'm good to go. I'm guessing it's best to go with some articulating and swiveling wall mount (like a Sanus).

However, definitely going to have to get someone to do that work for me then.. i"m not that handy with electrical and installing an electrical outlet behind the TV may be tricky. Also, I wonder for longer term whether it's a good idea. I may wan tot rent out my condo later and move out and having an electrical outlet rigth in the middle of a wall may seem weird
post #113 of 5448 Old 05-06-2006, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikram View Post

I finally pulled the trigger and bought the Sammy 4253 today
(from BestBuy)....this is my first Plasma TV - so the question I
have:

- Should I buy the protection plan ? (it is $299 for 4 yr)
[includes parts & labor]

thanks,
/Ikram.

Ikram,

Since it seems that no one will answer your question... I'll give you my 2 pennies...

I've never really been a fan of "extended warranties" simply due to the fact that they are pure profit for the store. It all has to do with the contract and the company paying the repair outfit a flat fee to do the service.

Anyway... I don't really see the point of buying a $150 warranty on a $500 couch... but, at the same time you put out a lot of money for this TV, and yeah... things happen. I'd say that all in all $299 isn't a bad deal for 4 years... considering CC wants $529 for 5 years on a warranty for this TV...

I would ask them what the warranty covers... and doesn't cover. Is there a "lemon clause"?(if they have to fix the tv 3 times over the warranty, they will replace it with something of equal purchase value...)

So me... at the price of this TV, I'd go for it... but in the end... it is your decision...

Also keep in mind that these warranties usually take effect on the date of purchase... so basically it will overwrite the manufacturers warranty...
post #114 of 5448 Old 05-06-2006, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin49er View Post

Ikram,

Since it seems that no one will answer your question... I'll give you my 2 pennies...

I've never really been a fan of "extended warranties" simply due to the fact that they are pure profit for the store. It all has to do with the contract and the company paying the repair outfit a flat fee to do the service.

Anyway... I don't really see the point of buying a $150 warranty on a $500 couch... but, at the same time you put out a lot of money for this TV, and yeah... things happen. I'd say that all in all $299 isn't a bad deal for 4 years... considering CC wants $529 for 5 years on a warranty for this TV...

I would ask them what the warranty covers... and doesn't cover. Is there a "lemon clause"?(if they have to fix the tv 3 times over the warranty, they will replace it with something of equal purchase value...)

So me... at the price of this TV, I'd go for it... but in the end... it is your decision...

Also keep in mind that these warranties usually take effect on the date of purchase... so basically it will overwrite the manufacturers warranty...

Kevin49er,

First, thanks for the reply.....appreciated...

The warranty covers everything, except physical damage i.e. if I
drop the TV and things like that...beside that it is fully covered
(both parts and labor). Infact, per BB, they will pick the TV from
home and deliver it back too....I also think $299 for $2.1K is not
bad.....just wanted to make sure that I'm not just throwing my
money away...

BTW, I'm also *not* a fan of extended warranties...hence the
question...

/Ikram.
post #115 of 5448 Old 05-06-2006, 07:19 PM

Liked: 13
Sorry for slow update - I've had limited internet access.

My Digital Cable is hooked up on a weak signal which was improved by a booster. My HD looks incredible now. I have that almost perfect. However, my SD looks absolutely awful. Is there anything I can do to improve it? Has anyone found any secrets with this set for SD?

My current settings are as follows:
Contrast 68
Brightness 74
Sharpness 55
Color 32
Normal Temp.

I am also having problems with getting the image to fill the whole screen. Certain HD channels do fill the screen in 16:9 format. However, my local HD channels continue to be in a more 4:3 format, even though the tv is set to run in 16:9.

Whats strange is my father in laws tv (LG 42" Plasma) fills the screen with the same service on same channels, yet my Samsung HP-S4253 will not fill the screen - constantly leaving black bars to the sides. An example is Seabiscuit on ABC. On SD it completely filled my father in laws screen. On HD it went into letterbox format on his tv. On my Samsung SD broadcast in what looked like 4:3 due to black lines down the sides. HD also came through in the same size format. How did he manage true widescreen yet this Samsung is only using almost half the screen.
post #116 of 5448 Old 05-06-2006, 08:18 PM

Have you told your cable box that your tv is 16:9?
post #117 of 5448 Old 05-07-2006, 12:29 AM

Hi all,

I'm very very new to this, and need your help. I can't decide which one to buy:

- The hpr4272 seems to have the most features at that price range
- The hps4253 is newer and can turn off DNIe (questions below)
- Panasonic TH-42PX60U (more people -- in threads I read -- prefer Panny to Sammy...), but no PIP and PC input (not my main concern but still...)
- Maybe others (under $3000 and hopefully around $2500)?

So my questions below; I would really appreciate your input...

1) Is DNIe really annoying? Is it more obvious on DLP screens, or on plasmas as well?
2) How come the Samsung models can display 5XX billions of colors, while the Panasonics can only show 8 billions? (That's a huge difference!)
3) We are mostly on SD channels and sometimes watch DVDs and VCDs, but might upgrade to HD in the future (planning to keep the new tv for at least 5 years). Is plasma really for me?

Thanks in advance!
post #118 of 5448 Old 05-07-2006, 10:51 AM

so what's the difference between the 5053 and the 5073?
post #119 of 5448 Old 05-07-2006, 11:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theDeviL View Post

so what's the difference between the 5053 and the 5073?

apparently the 5073 has cablecard, one more HDMI and the Menu controls for picture and color adjustments is much more detailed....
post #120 of 5448 Old 05-07-2006, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

apparently the 5073 has cablecard, one more HDMI and the Menu controls for picture and color adjustments is much more detailed....

Any idea when it's due in stores?

shane

My HT Setup:
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung 42 Inch Plasma Hdtv Hp S4253 , Samsung Hp S5053 50 Inch Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - S5053 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page