Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 5448 Old 05-11-2006, 08:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicago123 View Post

isn't dish network digital? Why would I be getting a shotty signal if it digital?

Digital SD TV won't look any better than Analogue SD TV. The reason it looks bad compared to older smaller TV's is that you are stretching the same screen resolution over a larger area which makes it look less detailed. Its one of the bad points of larger tvs. The problem is more evident in the USA (NTSC format) than the UK (PAL) system.

The Digital TV will improve your HDTV reception compared to over the air HD. Furthermore, HDTV will benefit from Dish over Cable due to greater bandwidth, therefore they are able to transmit higher quality signals through dish than cable and the end result is a higher quality HD picture.

What you see now is just how bad SD TV is!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 5448 Old 05-11-2006, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.E View Post

Hey Phil what are your final settings for the xbox360,watching tv,and watching dvd's?

Not finalised yet, however I currently use:

Xbox360: Game Mode with Colour lowered to 40

TV: In movie mode as I haven't used Avia again!

DVD: Same as TV for now, still using movie mode.

Personally I like movie mode the more I watch it. However, I am still playing with contrast / brightness. I think they both go well at about 70. Sharpness seems good below 30 and colour at below 40. For me this gives a natural picture.

I'll run Avia again and let you know what I come up with.
post #183 of 5448 Old 05-12-2006, 12:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilH930 View Post

Part of me wished I had bought the Panasonic, probably for piece of mind. However, after seeing all those pictures that Bobby_t1 linked I am delighted. The actual screen pictures of tv just look unrealistic. The colours don't look natural at all. I understand his tv is probably not calibrated correctly, but hell, neither is mine yet I have natural tones (in my opinion).

The more time I spend with this tv the more the risk of going Samsung seems to be paying off.

This is good to hear.. I'm still deliberating between the 2. So far my thought process is:

Panny 60u:
Pros: lots of good reviews, reported great picture quality
Cons: glare, no PC input, poor aesthetics

Samsung
Pros: PC input, seemingly great anti-glare, great cabinet
Cons: less reviews, picture quality (?)
post #184 of 5448 Old 05-12-2006, 12:43 AM
Advanced Member

One question -- in this thread is seems ppl run their brightness WAY higher than other brands of TVs. I saw brightness settings at 70+. Is this normal?
post #185 of 5448 Old 05-12-2006, 03:00 AM

Liked: 10
Hmm I asked the same question couple of posts above.. but with no reaction. It is actually not normal.. On my Samsung PS-50P5H (=HP-R5072) brightness higher than 50-53 (depending on input, digital higher, analogue lower) are not necessary and values like 70 are completely ridiculous....

Quote:

..Digital SD TV won't look any better than Analogue SD TV. The reason it looks bad compared to older smaller TV's is that you are stretching the same screen resolution over a larger area which makes it look less detailed. Its one of the bad points of larger tvs...

This is not completely true, you can see the difference when watching a DVD which is basically the same... DTV can look stunningly good even on 50" if broadcasted with sufficient bandwith, not too low compression rates and in anamorphic 16:9 format. However the difference between SD and ED (PAL) is a good point...
post #186 of 5448 Old 05-12-2006, 06:23 AM

The scale of brightness would be relative per model of television, right? I don't believe the levels of 1-100 are based an industry determined fixed ratio of a TV's brightness scale to the scientific range of brightness. A 70 on the new Sammy plasma TV might be the same as a 52 on a new Panny plasma. Remember Spinal Tap? This amp's louder 'cuz it goes to 11? :-)

Having said that, I agree that the high settings do have me a little worried. We really need a professional review on one of these babies.
post #187 of 5448 Old 05-12-2006, 07:11 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Digital SD TV won't look any better than Analogue SD TV. The reason it looks bad compared to older smaller TV's is that you are stretching the same screen resolution over a larger area which makes it look less detailed. Its one of the bad points of larger tvs. The problem is more evident in the USA (NTSC format) than the UK (PAL) system.

The Digital TV will improve your HDTV reception compared to over the air HD. Furthermore, HDTV will benefit from Dish over Cable due to greater bandwidth, therefore they are able to transmit higher quality signals through dish than cable and the end result is a higher quality HD picture.

What you see now is just how bad SD TV is!

Incorrect, Digital SD will (should) look quite a bit better than analog in almost every case....some lower tier channels will likely still look poor, but most should be improved.

This set looks impressive in the store, but seems to be getting a lukewarm purchase response from forum members. No offense to the guys that have already purchased it, but would be nice to have some more "veterans" chime in with a review. As I thought it went toe for toe with the Panny in mutliple stores. Plus the Sammy bezel looks 100 times better than the Panny.

Seems like a lot of newby's buying this set and then being shocked that all channels arent magically HD and 16:9
post #188 of 5448 Old 05-12-2006, 08:24 AM
Q&A

GBFreek, I agree with you. I really like the Pannys, but the bezel is sooooooo ugly. I like the Samsung's bezel, but prefer the ne HP's. However, I am reading a few not so positive reports regarding the new LG panels (HP and Toshiba use them), especially with image retention.
post #189 of 5448 Old 05-12-2006, 09:16 AM

I picked up my HP-S5053 last night. I bought a cheap RCA antenna, and I was rockin in an HD world!

First impressions:

Physical appearance - Flat out stunning. By far the best looking plasma that was on my short list.

Hookups - plenty. I'll mostly use the cable antenna and cable inputs, one hdmi, and maybe the component. I like the side AV hookups and I may use the PC input one day.

Menu organization - Very intuitive. I had no problem picking up the remote and modifying the various settings.

Startup - The first time you power on the unit, it step through a setup. It sets the time, timezone, and will program the channels. It defaults to the vivid picture mode, which looks kind of chunky to me. Everything is on, DNIe, Noise reduction, pixel shift. I immediately switched to custom, and turned the contrast and brightness down to 50 as recommended for the breakin period.

OTA - I bought a RCA ANT501 antenna. I had it sitting on the floor in my basement. I'm about 30 miles from the towers here in the twin cities. I was able to get about half of the channels with no effort. I think with a proper antenna configuration, I should be good to go for OTA.

PQ - I watched "Cold Case" on CBS and "ER" on NBC last night in HD. The CBS feed looked much better than the NBC feed. The picture was very dark with all the settings turned down for breakin. It was hard to discern the outline of say, a dark suit in a dimly lit scene. My concerns there were immediately put to rest when I switched to the default "standard" mode. There were no contrast and brightness issues in that mode. The color on this plasma absolutely pops. Incredible color. The black levels were good. Not as good as my Mitsu CRT, but that's to be expected. I have absolutely no fear about the image quality. After the breakin period, when it can be fine tuned with Avia or the like, it will be phenomenal. The open air SD was OK with a decent signal, not great. I have got a chance to run a DVD through it yet, that's my next test.

Conclusion - As of right now, I couldn't be happier that I choose the Sammy over the Panny, LG, Vizio, etc. I compared the Panny and Sammy in at least 4 different stores, and it was always the Sammy that caught my eye. I can't speak to durability or customer service yet, and there are many other image configs to try, but thumbs up so far.
post #190 of 5448 Old 05-12-2006, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhanson123 View Post

I picked up my HP-S5053 last night. I bought a cheap RCA antenna, and I was rockin in an HD world!

OTA - I bought a RCA ANT501 antenna. I had it sitting on the floor in my basement. I'm about 30 miles from the towers here in the twin cities. I was able to get about half of the channels with no effort. I think with a proper antenna configuration, I should be good to go for OTA.
d there are many other image configs to try, but thumbs up so far.

O.k..so I have a question. I have to wait until earlly june for my new dish hd receiver, so how can i get the "over the air" hd broadcasts. I really don't understand this.. I have my standar dish receiver plugged in thru svideo. Do I need to get another antenna? And how does that work?
post #191 of 5448 Old 05-12-2006, 10:50 AM
VFR
AVS Special Member

This is a good place to start:
http://www.checkhd.com/aw/welcome.aspx
post #192 of 5448 Old 05-12-2006, 11:53 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhanson123 View Post

First impressions:

Physical appearance - Flat out stunning. By far the best looking plasma that was on my short list.

Hookups - plenty. I'll mostly use the cable antenna and cable inputs, one hdmi, and maybe the component. I like the side AV hookups and I may use the PC input one day.

Menu organization - Very intuitive. I had no problem picking up the remote and modifying the various settings.

Startup - The first time you power on the unit, it step through a setup. It sets the time, timezone, and will program the channels. It defaults to the vivid picture mode, which looks kind of chunky to me. Everything is on, DNIe, Noise reduction, pixel shift. I immediately switched to custom, and turned the contrast and brightness down to 50 as recommended for the breakin period.

PQ - I watched "Cold Case" on CBS and "ER" on NBC last night in HD. The CBS feed looked much better than the NBC feed. The picture was very dark with all the settings turned down for breakin. It was hard to discern the outline of say, a dark suit in a dimly lit scene. My concerns there were immediately put to rest when I switched to the default "standard" mode. There were no contrast and brightness issues in that mode. The color on this plasma absolutely pops. Incredible color. The black levels were good. Not as good as my Mitsu CRT, but that's to be expected. I have absolutely no fear about the image quality. After the breakin period, when it can be fine tuned with Avia or the like, it will be phenomenal. The open air SD was OK with a decent signal, not great. I have got a chance to run a DVD through it yet, that's my next test.

Conclusion - As of right now, I couldn't be happier that I choose the Sammy over the Panny, LG, Vizio, etc. I compared the Panny and Sammy in at least 4 different stores, and it was always the Sammy that caught my eye. I can't speak to durability or customer service yet, and there are many other image configs to try, but thumbs up so far.

Great review....any chance you can get some photos up of your set up and the varying sources (HD, SD, DVD)??

Out of curiosity, how far back is your viewing distance? 10ft, etc...
post #193 of 5448 Old 05-12-2006, 01:32 PM

Jhanson123, thanks for the informative review. It's great to hear it coming from someone who has another HDTV to compare. I'm sure everyone following this thread would appreciate more details as you continue to break it in, especially your recommended settings, do you alway have DNIe off, etc.
Enjoy.
post #194 of 5448 Old 05-12-2006, 04:38 PM

Thanks guys. I'll continue to post, and will get pictures up after I hang it on the wall.
post #195 of 5448 Old 05-12-2006, 05:36 PM

Sorry been gone for a while guys. Alot of business travel. This tv is excellent. I own the 50 inch version and my buddy has the older 4272 Samsung. This box fixes all the issues with the older models. Nothing can be perfect however. SD most likely looks better on a Panny. Reds probably look better on the panny as well. BUT THATS IT. IMHO HD and everything else blows the panny away. Maybe if more people on this fourm thought for themselves instead of like the crowd we would all have one of these.

I will post a real review after my break in period is over.

2 cents,

Mod7
post #196 of 5448 Old 05-12-2006, 05:56 PM

Mod, what are you doing specifically to break it in?
post #197 of 5448 Old 05-12-2006, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mod7 View Post

Maybe if more people on this fourm thought for themselves instead of like the crowd we would all have one of these.
Mod7

I thought for myself and went Panasonic. I always think for myself.

Blind faith will get you killed.
post #198 of 5448 Old 05-12-2006, 10:21 PM
Advanced Member

i am prob not picking up the sammy cuz i saw a lot of pixelazation on fast moving images at best buy..while the maxent next to it..did not do that. as for picking up a panasonic...my sister in law has one. I cant stand how SD looks on it.
post #199 of 5448 Old 05-13-2006, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby_t1 View Post

One question -- in this thread is seems ppl run their brightness WAY higher than other brands of TVs. I saw brightness settings at 70+. Is this normal?

I believe this is the norm for the Samsung.

Still in break in my Samsung is on Movie mode, whereby both contrast and brightness are at 55 (Samsung scale is 0 - 100). This looks very natural, however I know once through the break in period I will increase these to add detail in dark areas. To find the right balance between contrast and brightness is very difficult for me, especially as this is my first Plasma and experience at adjusting these values.

I think to get the best picture contrast or brightness needs to be 70 to 75. However, my other thought is these are built to go to 100, so if the tv couldn't do it then it wouldn't be an option. I guess what i'm trying to say is that if the option is there on something I paid a significant amount of money for then I'm not afraid to use it.

My one and only concern with this TV is getting the full detail in dark scenes. I know they are there when I increase either contrast or brightness, but I just can't find a level I was happy with during testing. My one attempt at Avia did not have these settings high enough to display detail in dark scenes (Avia calibrated contrast at 62 and brightness at 68). Once C was 70 and B was 76 detail was present, but not calibrated according to Avia! Painful learning experience!

Question for you bobby_t1:
You seem to have more experience with Plasmas. Is it incorrect to have both the contrast and brightness values so close to each other (eg, both at 55 or 70 depending on setting)?
post #200 of 5448 Old 05-13-2006, 09:43 AM

Quote:

"This set looks impressive in the store, but seems to be getting a lukewarm purchase response from forum members. No offense to the guys that have already purchased it, but would be nice to have some more "veterans" chime in with a review. As I thought it went toe for toe with the Panny in mutliple stores. Plus the Sammy bezel looks 100 times better than the Panny.

I originally purchased the Panny 42" 60U and I have to say that the Panny does have incredibly good black levels but after awhile they almost struck me as being unnatural. Blacks seemed more like black holes in space than naturally occurring black tones. But the killer which caused me to return it was it's complete inability to consistently display anything that approached acceptable flesh tones coupled with what my wife referred to as "Odo Faces" (which I think people here refer to as clay faces?). Facial features and detail seemed to be blurred or just lacking no matter how much I tweaked the settings. Being completely unhappy after 28 days of viewing I returned the set and picked up the Sammie HP-S4253 and since then I could not be happier. The black tones and levels are more than acceptable and very natural looking. The Colors are fantastic, skin tones look great and faces have spectacular detail to them. Watching HD Discovery just makes us drool now!

Bottom line having owned both I would definitely recommend the Sammie over the Panny, I know others will disagree but that has been my personal experience. Both my wife and I couldn't be happier that we returned the Panny and got the Sammie instead.

Quote:

"Seems like a lot of newby's buying this set and then being shocked that all channels arent magically HD and 16:9

What I have noticed is that on the same station some HD programs are 4:3 and others come through in 16:9. Disappointing but I think it's all in the broadcast and has little to do with the TV.
post #201 of 5448 Old 05-13-2006, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitallyFlat View Post

I originally purchased the Panny 42" 60U and I have to say that the Panny does have incredibly good black levels but after awhile they almost struck me as being unnatural. Blacks seemed more like black holes in space than naturally occurring black tones. But the killer which caused me to return it was it's complete inability to consistently display anything that approached acceptable flesh tones coupled with what my wife referred to as "Odo Faces" (which I think people here refer to as clay faces?). Facial features and detail seemed to be blurred or just lacking no matter how much I tweaked the settings. Being completely unhappy after 28 days of viewing I returned the set and picked up the Sammie HP-S4253 and since then I could not be happier. The black tones and levels are more than acceptable and very natural looking. The Colors are fantastic, skin tones look great and faces have spectacular detail to them. Watching HD Discovery just makes us drool now!

Bottom line having owned both I would definitely recommend the Sammie over the Panny, I know others will disagree but that has been my personal experience. Both my wife and I couldn't be happier that we returned the Panny and got the Sammie instead.

What I have noticed is that on the same station some HD programs are 4:3 and others come through in 16:9. Disappointing but I think it's all in the broadcast and has little to do with the TV.

I am curious of your settings to achieve the good black levels. What are you currently running contrast and brightness on?

I agree 100% that this Samsung produces a natural looking picture. I've had complete trust in my eyes and ears for the last 24 years and when choosing between the Sammy and Panasonic my eyes did not let me down.

The problem in HD of 4:3 or 16:9 is broadcasting. I believe it normally is this:
4:3 HD broadcasting will be local broadcasting
16:9 is more national broadcasting

Thats why you tend to see adverts go to 4:3 while watching a 16:9 show.
post #202 of 5448 Old 05-13-2006, 10:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Question for you bobby_t1:
You seem to have more experience with Plasmas. Is it incorrect to have both the contrast and brightness values so close to each other (eg, both at 55 or 70 depending on setting)?

LOL! The funny thing is that I don't even own a plasma and never calibrated one! I currently own a Sony GWIII Rear proj LCD and am selling it for a plasma, quite possibly the Sammy S5053
post #203 of 5448 Old 05-13-2006, 02:24 PM

Quote:

I am curious of your settings to achieve the good black levels. What are you currently running contrast and brightness on?

I agree 100% that this Samsung produces a natural looking picture. I've had complete trust in my eyes and ears for the last 24 years and when choosing between the Sammy and Panasonic my eyes did not let me down.

The problem in HD of 4:3 or 16:9 is broadcasting. I believe it normally is this:
4:3 HD broadcasting will be local broadcasting
16:9 is more national broadcasting

Thats why you tend to see adverts go to 4:3 while watching a 16:9 show.

I am actually still in the break in period for the Sammie. I have just over 100 hours on it and my current settings are:

Contrast:50
Brightness:50
Sharpness:48
Color:32
Color Temperature:Normal
DNIE: On (what can I say, I like it!)

Truthfully though even with these conservative settings the picture is just great as long as I am not fighting too much room/sunlight, in which case a little more contrast and brightness would obviously help.
post #204 of 5448 Old 05-13-2006, 04:45 PM

Any owners have an opinion on the quality of the standard sound output? I'm looking for a unit to mount above a mantle and don't want to clutter with a bunch of audio componets/speakers, so I need something that sounds decent out of the box.
post #205 of 5448 Old 05-13-2006, 04:50 PM
Advanced Member

Anyone got good reviews on SD on the 5053? I'm going to be watching SD from my MCE 2005 HTPC.
post #206 of 5448 Old 05-13-2006, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitsticks View Post

Any owners have an opinion on the quality of the standard sound output? I'm looking for a unit to mount above a mantle and don't want to clutter with a bunch of audio componets/speakers, so I need something that sounds decent out of the box.

I think the sound is nice. It's full and very audible. The way they mounted the speakers is pure genius. I love the uncluttered look of the 5053.
post #207 of 5448 Old 05-14-2006, 03:51 AM

Quote:

I believe this is the norm for the Samsung.

No! These are extraordinarily exceptional values..Believe me, i have calibrated and tested many Samsung PDPs...
Quote:

Still in break in my Samsung is on Movie mode, whereby both contrast and brightness are at 55 (Samsung scale is 0 - 100). This looks very natural, however I know once through the break in period I will increase these to add detail in dark areas. To find the right balance between contrast and brightness is very difficult for me, especially as this is my first Plasma and experience at adjusting these values.

Who told you about this "break in" thing..? In my opinion this not necessary on Samsung screens. Very few retention issues, no matter how many hours the screens were running.

To find the right balance between contrast and brightness on a 5-th generation sammy is indeed not easy. It depends on the input you are using, typically HDMI have lower blacks than the analog inputs and the environmental light conditions. For my Sammy, good ratios are 62/49 on analog inputs and 65/52 on HDMI. Color saturation and "My Color Control" (is this feature still available on the 2006 models?) also play a role and have to be tuned in with the actual contrast and brightness values..
post #208 of 5448 Old 05-14-2006, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul71 View Post

...Who told you about this "break in" thing..? In my opinion this not necessary on Samsung screens. Very few retention issues, no matter how many hours the screens were running.

To find the right balance between contrast and brightness on a 5-th generation sammy is indeed not easy. It depends on the input you are using, typically HDMI have lower blacks than the analog inputs and the environmental light conditions. For my Sammy, good ratios are 62/49 on analog inputs and 65/52 on HDMI. Color saturation and "My Color Control" (is this feature still available on the 2006 models?) also play a role and have to be tuned in with the actual contrast and brightness values..

Break in...
I've read that the first 100 hours of viewing should be done with care. The contrast and brightness should be turned down to mitigate any burn in risk. As you state, probably not a huge issue.

Thanks for the settings baseline. That will help when I go to tune.
post #209 of 5448 Old 05-14-2006, 08:31 AM

OK...after 2 weeks of shopping and 3 days of reading...the ONE THING I MUST say is an absolute is "THANK YOU FOR THIS FORUM.." GRIN

I just ripped out my media room (last Monday), sold my 65" Mits and AWESOME cherry cabinent to my neighbor (his gain, my loss in a way) and have embarked on the next major project in my basement...

To set the stage, I am NO stranger to HD. I have 3 other HD/ED sets in the House (Zenith LCD 44", Toshiba DLP 44" and a Sharp Aquos 17"). I have DTV and have the Samsung TS-360s (I LOVE THEM) all through the house. I will be upgrading to the UGLY DTV HD DVR on the entertainment system. I have a NICE HD OTA signal (I have all of 5 miles for the local OTA attenea!). ALL of my current connections are component, and none of my current sets have HDMI. All the sets I am looking at seem to be this standard...so I will take that leap too.

SO

I just took a 20x16 room and turned in into a 20x20 room. Am custom fitting the 7.1 and building something for the senses...GRIN

My INITIAL purchase was going to be the SRND 60" Sony rear project. Downside...my contractor wants to build mid height to ceiling columns (that I think will look great!) and he says the Sony will take up too much of the rooms floor space for proper fitting.

So off I went in search of an alternative flat panel. (50"...NO smaller)...

Wife looked at consumer reports and Pany was 1/2/3. Sammy was rated poorly with others in between.

After a full week of shopping (when I could) I have narrowed my focus after "SEVERAL visits to CC/BB and Brandsmart."
Here are the top 3...

1. Sammy 5053- Even the wife (who usually has no opinion says its the best pic)
Pro-PQ and Price (2999 any way you slice it) and PC input
Cons -Smaller footprint, no swivle base, and ho-hum PiP

2. LG 50PX5D (what can I say..I kinda like it)
Pro - Inputs galor, PiP ROCKS, VERY NICE swivle base and the casing is appealing to me.
Cons-PQ is average to all the other sets I have looked at, its about 300 MORE than the Sammy

3. Sony 60' LCD SRXD (screw the contractor???)
Pro - PQ is REALLY NICE, good look, probably less worries over the Plasma's
Cons - BIG, not a lot of inputs

One last footnote...I can get Phillips at Employee discount, but have not heard great things about the Phillips. Their top of the line retail unit (6K is 2300 my cost).

So...for all you buyers out there like me....(and I know that this is more of a Sammy Theard)...what are you thoughts?

Opinions VERY welcome.

Balz
post #210 of 5448 Old 05-14-2006, 12:54 PM

Liked: 12
Just got back from CC -- both of these new models have:

Image Retention!

Something burned into the upper left corner. None of the others had any IR.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung 42 Inch Plasma Hdtv Hp S4253 , Samsung Hp S5053 50 Inch Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - S5053 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page