Samsung Plasma HP-S5053 and HP-S4253 reviews - Page 82 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 12-07-2006, 02:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It's a buzzer!

My HP5053 was delivered a few hours ago and lo and behold it has the humming that I did not have with the Vizio 50"HD. The guys who delivered the TV was also in consensus that it has the humming/buzzing when I turn the sound off. It is an October 06 Mexico built and they told me that they are going to search a Nov 06 built for me in the store as they still have 3/4 on the floor. I was kinda hoping that I will get one of the non-buzzing one. The noise do actualy get louder with the brighness for sure as others have complained. I am going to get a change first to see if that makes a difference at all and then give the Samsung people a call to come and fix it. What a pain in the A**!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2006, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost147 View Post

ATTENTION MATB! Make sure the OPPO that you buy doesn't have the faroudja video processing system - I don't think the 970 has it, btw. For some reason with Sammys, the faroudja macroblocking issue is amplified to the point of almost making the picture unwatchable - certainly during dark scenes.

Believe me, the OPPOs are great players. For the price, their performance is 2nd to none. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one again - if I had anything other than a Sammy to hook it up to . But since I DON'T have anything other than the Sammy and probably won't be getting a different TV in the foreseeable future, well, ya gots ta do what ya gots ta do.

I purchased the OPPO 971D in advance of having an ISF registered professional come over and calibrate my TV. I didn't hook it up until he arrived and after dicking around for some time, he just couldn't resolve the macro problem. He admitted that faroudja has this problem, but he had never seen it as bad as when it's hooked up to a Samsung. Of course, I could have taken down the hdmi link and gone with component, but then I would have lost the upconverting feature - kind of a non-starter.

I ended up returning the OPPO and getting a Sony upconverting player instead - problem solved.

Thanks again Frost147. Yes, I've read about the Macroblocking issue with the Faroudja video processing. What is the Sony DVD do you have?. Also, I read that getting the TV calibrated by ISF professionals is kind of expensive (around 400$). Is that what you paid?. I wonder if my "unprofessional" eyes can see the differences.
Old 12-07-2006, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matb View Post

Thanks again Frost147. Yes, I've read about the Macroblocking issue with the Faroudja video processing. What is the Sony DVD do you have?. Also, I read that getting the TV calibrated by ISF professionals is kind of expensive (around 400$). Is that what you paid?. I wonder if my "unprofessional" eyes can see the differences.

Does this apply to all samsung plasmas or just selected models?
Old 12-07-2006, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookForward View Post

It's a buzzer!

My HP5053 was delivered a few hours ago and lo and behold it has the humming that I did not have with the Vizio 50"HD. The guys who delivered the TV was also in consensus that it has the humming/buzzing when I turn the sound off. It is an October 06 Mexico built and they told me that they are going to search a Nov 06 built for me in the store as they still have 3/4 on the floor. I was kinda hoping that I will get one of the non-buzzing one. The noise do actualy get louder with the brighness for sure as others have complained. I am going to get a change first to see if that makes a difference at all and then give the Samsung people a call to come and fix it. What a pain in the A**!

My buzzer is Nov 06 so dont get your hopes up too much and good luck!
Old 12-07-2006, 03:46 PM

I need help on this one.
I just bought a plasma samsung hp-s4253. When I try to hook up my ritech Divx DVD player through component my TV shows no signal. But if I try with the free samsung dvd player that came with my plasma, everything works perfectly. Is there set up to do? I am sure that my Divx player is not broken.
I really appreciate you guys help.
Cheers
Old 12-07-2006, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katsagirl View Post

Thanks for responding so quickly!

I'm still fairly new this all this HDTV stuff, so bare with me.

I have both AIR and CABLE attached. AIR is from an HDTV antenna I picked up from Target. CABLE is just basic cable from wall to TV without a box.

I'm using the MOVIE setting, I seem to get a better resolution with it, and is on default setting.

I have Component 1 attached to the 8-port Pelican switch. The 3 Components are connected with a Sony PS2, Xbox, and DVD. I also have 1 AV and 1 S-Video (also on the switch), and they are attached to the GameCube.

I'm pretty sure it's the TV, but I wanted someone with better knowledge to help me fill the gaps before I do anything.

So on the movie input do you or can you send your settings. I have setting on that one as follows:
Movie
Contrast: 50
Brightness: 60
Sharpness: 10
Color: 35
Normal
NR off
Old 12-07-2006, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia039 View Post

So on the movie input do you or can you send your settings. I have setting on that one as follows:
Movie
Contrast: 50
Sharpness: 10
Color: 35
Normal
NR off

Brightness needs to be kept below 50 to prevent artifacts in dark scenes. My settings are

Contrast: 82
Brightness: 46
Sharpness: 30
Color: 52
Normal
NR On

I think the picture is incredible, even with dark scenes.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:05 PM

I have a newbie audio question regarding the HPS4273 (that i have).

I have a Nintendo Wii hooked up through a "switcher" (psyclone source selector). At first I only had composite cables. So it was composite to the switcher, composite out to the TV, TV set on AV1. Both video and audio present.

Finally today I got Component cables for the Wii. Hook 'em up, switch TV to "Component 1", and get Video, but no audio. The audio is the same type (red and white wires) as when i was using AV1....

Any clues? Does the TV expect a different audio source when in Component input mode?

Trying to rule out the TV before returning the source selector (for not routing the audio when component cables plugged in perhaps??)

Thanks for any help you can provide!
Old 12-07-2006, 09:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
This thread has touched on contrast and brightness settings. Here is a clip from one of the calibrators in the calibration forum. YMMV.

"There are lots of variables that affect setting levels. In general contrast should be set as high as possible without a loss of detail, color temperature control, or regulation in peak whites. Brightness should be set as low as possible without losing desired detail in dark scenes".
Old 12-07-2006, 09:28 PM
Advanced Member

MATB - I now have the Sony DVP-NS75H single disc player, hooked up via hdmi to the Sammy.

Mt calibration was more like 3 bills, as opposed to 4. I think you'll find this is the range that they charge. I can tell you the I can certainly see a noticeable difference in my pq. And even better, now that it's done I no longer have to go into the settings to tweek things around. Prior to getting it done, I was driving myself bonkers trying out everyone else's posted settings. And not being happy with the results.

There is just enough difference in each set that someone's settings won't necessarily be the optimum for yours. By getting my set professionally done, I now have the killer blacks, 3-D like picture, natural skintones, looking-out-the-window kind of picture that I always knew was in my set - but didn't have the tech knowledge to pull it out.

It was more than worth every penny to get a pro cal.

Ottawa Ontario Canada
Old 12-08-2006, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bRuiner View Post

I have a newbie audio question regarding the HPS4273 (that i have).

I have a Nintendo Wii hooked up through a "switcher" (psyclone source selector). At first I only had composite cables. So it was composite to the switcher, composite out to the TV, TV set on AV1. Both video and audio present.

Finally today I got Component cables for the Wii. Hook 'em up, switch TV to "Component 1", and get Video, but no audio. The audio is the same type (red and white wires) as when i was using AV1....

Any clues? Does the TV expect a different audio source when in Component input mode?

Trying to rule out the TV before returning the source selector (for not routing the audio when component cables plugged in perhaps??)

Thanks for any help you can provide!

The component inputs have their own audio source. You can use the audio cables that you used for your composite video. Just move them to the audio for the component input.
Old 12-08-2006, 06:39 AM

What do you all have set for Energy Saving (Standard, Auto Saving or Super Saving)?
Old 12-08-2006, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick4597 View Post

Brightness needs to be kept below 50 to prevent artifacts in dark scenes. My settings are

Contrast: 82
Brightness: 46
Sharpness: 30
Color: 52
Normal
NR On

I think the picture is incredible, even with dark scenes.

That will vary based upon your signal source, differences in PDP, and cables used to transfer the signal to your PDP but I am glad that you like the image that it delivers with your settings.
Old 12-08-2006, 07:03 AM

I was trying to get the resolution setting to 1366 x 768 which is supposed to be the highest for the HP5053 using my laptop and it would not let me go beyond 1024 x 768. Could anybody help? I was able to do it on my Visio 50" plasma. And just so you guys know I am using a Toshiba 12.1" that can be set to this or higher resolution. TIA.
Old 12-08-2006, 08:42 AM

I just had my 4253 professionally calibrated and these are the settings that resulted from the calibration:

Movie
Contrast: 56
Sharpness: 0
Color: 44
Warm 2
NR off

It cost $275.00 for the calibration.

How do I change the black bars to gray bars on the 4253?
Old 12-08-2006, 08:46 AM
Advanced Member

its in the set up menu and i've also seen it in the set top box settings for some models.. go with gray bars.

Funny about the end results of your calbration. When my guy did it, he arbitrarily assigned all the settings to "50", for simplicity's sake. It really didn't matter, he could have picked "10" or "20" or any other number. All the good stuff is done in the grayscales anyway.

Ottawa Ontario Canada
Old 12-08-2006, 09:09 AM

Thanks Frost.
Old 12-08-2006, 09:19 AM

It kind of burns me that after spending around 2 grand for a TV you have to have it professionally calibrated. I would think that the factory should calibrate the TV sufficiently. Am I wrong thinking this way? Samsung should at least foot the bill for calibration if they can't do a decent job at the factory.
Old 12-08-2006, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboyaj View Post

I just had my 4253 professionally calibrated and these are the settings that resulted from the calibration:

Movie
Contrast: 56
Sharpness: 0
Color: 44
Warm 2
NR off

It cost $275.00 for the calibration.

How do I change the black bars to gray bars on the 4253?

Are your settings the same for custom?
Old 12-08-2006, 10:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by richbogrow View Post

What do you all have set for Energy Saving (Standard, Auto Saving or Super Saving)?

I have our 5073 on Auto.
Old 12-08-2006, 10:46 AM

Quote:

It kind of burns me that after spending around 2 grand for a TV you have to have it professionally calibrated. I would think that the factory should calibrate the TV sufficiently. Am I wrong thinking this way? Samsung should at least foot the bill for calibration if they can't do a decent job at the factory.

if you want one that is ISF certified calibrated the pioneer elite will suite your needs.
Old 12-08-2006, 10:51 AM

Quote:

if you want one that is ISF certified calibrated the pioneer elite will suite your needs.

And how much more would a pioneer elite cost?
Old 12-08-2006, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Huh? Foot the bill? You have oversimplied the notion of calibration. You can't properly calibrate in the factory because calibration is dependent on room light, source (cable or satellite), DVD, etc. Since calibration is subjective to some degree even if the factory picked a standard someone could disagree that it isn't set correctly. Any manufacturer builds to a least common demoninator standard, not for hobbyists like us. Also, who is willing to pay extra at time of purchase for calibration. Your expectations are unrealistic
Old 12-08-2006, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Pioneer does not ISF calibrate at the factory. You have to pay for it after purchase like every other set
Old 12-08-2006, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveturbo View Post

And how much more would a pioneer elite cost?

The 50 inch Non-1080P is 4999.99.
Old 12-08-2006, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo95035 View Post

I need help on this one.
I just bought a plasma samsung hp-s4253. When I try to hook up my ritech Divx DVD player through component my TV shows no signal. But if I try with the free samsung dvd player that came with my plasma, everything works perfectly. Is there set up to do? I am sure that my Divx player is not broken.
I really appreciate you guys help.
Cheers

I have the 5053 and through my wife's DVD player which is some random RCA when I hook up component cables the TV cannot find a signal. After trying different component cables I brought out my DVD player confident that since it was "better" it would work and have a nicer picture. Sadly with her watching it became evident that my red component plug wasn't working so the pq was horrifiic. I'm not sure why her RCA won't show up on component but essentially I have a similar or the same problem you do.

Quote:

Buy the DVE video off ebay or from one of the sponsors here instead. I spent $18 shipped. If I spent hundreds on a professional calibration I guess I would have to have a sound system in the thousands as well (which I don't).

Some hum from the back of the unit is normal. Occasionally I can hear it when sitting in my chair 7' away when muted or on very very low volumne but I'm 28 so I'm guessing on average I hear better than the avg 40+year old. I would not describe the hum as a buzz. Apparently if you have the "buzz" its unmistakable.

When I calibrate I'll post my settings and report back in. FYI: November Mex Build 5053
Old 12-08-2006, 01:24 PM

I can definitely hear my non-buzzing set, but I think it really is the normal hum. It's more like a really quiet "hiss" to my ears. I can hear it during quiet scenes from 10-15 feet away, and sometimes during not-so-quiet scenes if I try to. That said, it's nothing close to as loud as the old tv, and I can hear the same thing with my old CRT.

It's interesting that lewddog21 brought up age. I'm 26 and neither the Samsung tech (in his fifties) nor the Circuit City repairman (probably in his mid-forties) could hear the really loud buzz of the old tv. I could hear it even if I turned the volume up to 30, left the room, and turned on a tv in the other room. My 56 year old father could hear it though, so maybe age isn't everything. Neither he nor I can stand the volume levels at concerts though, so maybe we've just had less hearing loss as a result of trauma from loud events. My mom could barely hear it, and she loves concerts, parades, fireworks, etc.
Old 12-08-2006, 01:45 PM

This makes me think that mine could be normal after all.

Here is how I tested it at different volume levels and judged it's a buzzer.
1) When the TV is muted or volume below 15, I can clearly hear the buzz (like the sound of a neon light, as others pointed out) anywhere in the same room.
2) At volume between 15 and 25, the buzz is covered up and I can only hear it when I try hard to or there is a quiet scene. At this volume level, I can clear hear the buzz only about 2 - 4 feet away from the set.
3) Above 25, I can't hear the buzz unless I put my ear upclose to the back of the set.

I have compared it with my old CRT and this is still much louder.

It's very hard to compare the buzz sound in store because all the background noise. Honestly, the buzz is not really annony when you're not trying to hear it. I guess the fact of knowing there are quieter ones out there frustrates me more.

I'm getting my third replacement delivered tomorrow. The first two are both Nov. Mexico made. If I get 3 buzzers in a roll, I'd choose to wait a while before doing an exchange again or having a samsung technician to check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chabuchie View Post

I can definitely hear my non-buzzing set, but I think it really is the normal hum. It's more like a really quiet "hiss" to my ears. I can hear it during quiet scenes from 10-15 feet away, and sometimes during not-so-quiet scenes if I try to. That said, it's nothing close to as loud as the old tv, and I can hear the same thing with my old CRT.

It's interesting that lewddog21 brought up age. I'm 26 and neither the Samsung tech (in his fifties) nor the Circuit City repairman (probably in his mid-forties) could hear the really loud buzz of the old tv. I could hear it even if I turned the volume up to 30, left the room, and turned on a tv in the other room. My 56 year old father could hear it though, so maybe age isn't everything. Neither he nor I can stand the volume levels at concerts though, so maybe we've just had less hearing loss as a result of trauma from loud events. My mom could barely hear it, and she loves concerts, parades, fireworks, etc.

Old 12-08-2006, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chabuchie View Post

This is much like mine.
Old 12-08-2006, 04:43 PM

Do you guys see vertical lines when there is a fast moving scene in SD channels? Looks like the screen can't keep up. I've tried this in both 4:3 and 16:9 connecting the cable directly from the wall to the tv and DVR (set to auto hdmi) to the tv. Same result. Thanks in advance.

Tags
Samsung 42 Inch Plasma Hdtv Hp S4253 , Samsung Hp S5053 50 Inch Plasma Hdtv