Official Pioneer PDP News Flash - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 91 Old 06-12-2006, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
There has been some recent misinformation/misunderstanding of the specs of the current and new Pioneer PDP panels. Specifically that all of the new panels are 1080p displays. This is not correct. At this time, only the 50" Elite PRO-FHD1 is a native 1080p display (1920x1080). The current 43", 50" and 61" panels (Pioneer-branded and Elite alike) are 1024x768, 1280x768 and 1365x768 respectively.

The new 42", 50" and 60" Pioneer and Elite panels are (excepting the PRO-FHD1) 1024x768, 1365x768 and 1365x768 respectively. Please note the differences in pixel count between the previous and newer 50" models. The 43" size has been reduced to 42", and the 61" size has been reduced to 60". The new PRO-1540HD 60" television is comprised entirely of existing and new Pioneer-developed technologies, such as Deep Encased Cell Structure, Crystal Emissive Layer, and an improved First Surface Pure Color Filter, as well as improved Blue and Red phosphors. All of the new PDPs, however, will accept a 1080p signal via either of each set's two HDMI inputs.

Rolf Hawkins
National Trainer - Home Electronics Division
Pioneer Electronics (USA), Inc.
Long Beach, CA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 91 Old 06-12-2006, 11:43 AM

Rolf,
Can you expound on frequency compatibility for the new panels through HDMI and component? If they are compatible with 1080p/24Hz signals, can we expect them to also be compatible with other rates, such as NR/72 or NR/50 or NR/75 (NR=native resolution), or even up to 1080p/120Hz?
Thanks!

Christian Vye

-------------------------
e-mail is forever
post #3 of 91 Old 06-12-2006, 11:56 AM

Is it just me or is the Pioneer website STILL down from last week? I didn't check over the weekend, but it was out on Friday and still out today.
post #4 of 91 Old 06-12-2006, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

Hello again.

As much as I'd like to, until I get the nod from my bosses, I can't get into any other specifics prior to the official press releases in the coming months for the actual product launches. I don't mean to avoid the questions, but depending on which model you are interested in, you won't be disappointed. Read between the lines as you will. I was requested to address the resolution issue specifically, and not authorized to address anything else...yet. I just got off the phone with Corp. and learned that more info will be tight until the press releases. My sincere apologies; didn't mean to be a tease! In any case, the new panels are much better than even I anticipated!

And yes, the Pioneer site is still down. We're in the process of completely revamping it, but hopefully we'll be back in action sooner rather than later.

Rolf Hawkins
Long Beach, CA
post #5 of 91 Old 06-12-2006, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer Trainer
My sincere apologies; didn't mean to be a tease! In any case, the new panels are much better than even I anticipated!

Rolf Hawkins
Long Beach, CA
"Didn't mean to be a tease?"

"BETTER THAN EVEN I ANTICIPATED?"

DIDN'T MEAN TO BE A TEASE??????? :rolleyes:
post #6 of 91 Old 06-12-2006, 02:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer Trainer
Hello again.

As much as I'd like to, until I get the nod from my bosses, I can't get into any other specifics prior to the official press releases in the coming months ....

Rolf Hawkins
Long Beach, CA
Months?!!! :eek:
post #7 of 91 Old 06-12-2006, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by koan
Months?!!! :eek:
Is the full Elite line launching at the same time as the consumer line? ( rhetorical question )
post #8 of 91 Old 06-12-2006, 04:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaliciousBraham
Is the full Elite line launching at the same time as the consumer line? ( rhetorical question )
Hmmm... I took "product" as meaning each model, not each line.
post #9 of 91 Old 06-12-2006, 05:21 PM

I just bought a 4360 and want to know how future warrently support will work in terms of the '05 screens with media revievers having been discontinued...

I really like the seperate media reciever aspect of the 4360.
In the event that I had an unreparable issue with the screen or reciever, is Pioneer still able to replace these parts, or are we forced to upgrade to a new model screen altogether?

thnx
post #10 of 91 Old 06-12-2006, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

what would future versions with no media receivers have anything to do with your warranty support? :confused:
post #11 of 91 Old 06-12-2006, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amheck
what would future versions with no media receivers have anything to do with your warranty support? :confused:
If they don't make media receivers any more, and my media receiver (or screen that requires the media receiver) breaks beyond repair, what are they going to replace it with?

That is why I am asking in this thread.
post #12 of 91 Old 06-12-2006, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

If they do like most manufacturers, they will replace it with the model that is currently available at that time. And I guess that would mean without a media receiver.
post #13 of 91 Old 06-12-2006, 07:59 PM

I was at local BB tonight and saw (a) 61" Pioneer and went....gasp...wow.
However, the price was just a wee off 5 digits (too much for me) and then I read the specs and was like, what??? no 1080p...
Aside from all the "there is no real 1080p content for it and blah blah there is.." I was impressed when I stood about 10' back...darn...if I only had that wee five digits...to burn.
post #14 of 91 Old 06-12-2006, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uzombie
However, the price was just a wee off 5 digits (too much for me) and then I read the specs and was like, what??? no 1080p...
Aside from all the "there is no real 1080p content for it and blah blah there is.." I was impressed when I stood about 10' back...darn...if I only had that wee five digits...to burn.
Keep in mind that's also a 2-3 year old plasma panel in that set - Pioneer hasn't updated that glass in the past two generations. The sets being talked about here will use current panel technology. That means they should look unbelievable!

I love HD...and I hated that Anti-Consumer format war.

Now that we can move on... Blu-ray > Digital Downloads!
post #15 of 91 Old 06-12-2006, 08:58 PM
Advanced Member

Pioneer site back online now. Different look, but still no mention of the __70HD series tvs.
post #16 of 91 Old 06-12-2006, 11:16 PM

Take it easy on poor Rolf. From his title, he trains dealers on how to sell their products, and POSSIBLY on how to support them after the sale. From what I've seen on this board, the guy who designed them would have a tough time answering all the questions we have :)

I've seen the 1080p 50" at a dealer conference Pio held (no, not a dealer, but I know how to pretend like I play one on TV), and the older 61" inch, and as much as the Pro-FHD1 made parts of me quiver I forgot I had, I'm biding my time until I can see the 60", particularly after SWMBO and I spent some time contemplating the 61" at a local dealer. Good stuff, peeps, and for me and SWMBO (She Who Must Be Obeyed), it will all come down to viewing distance. If we can't see the difference between the 60" and the 50" from 10 to 12 feet, we're going for the five-footer.

Because, let's face it--five full feet of top-notch display technology is just plain better than four foot two, at least when we're far enough away for our aging retinas to blur it all together.

Pending Pio's pricing decisions, of course. We've got money to burn, but we also have other habits to support...

For the record, the phrase "five full feet of top-notch display technology is just plain better than four foot two" has been copyrighted. Those wishing to purchase the rights may contact me via pm :cool:

A.B.
post #17 of 91 Old 06-13-2006, 03:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaGray

For the record, the phrase "five full feet of top-notch display technology is just plain better than four foot two" has been copyrighted. Those wishing to purchase the rights may contact me via pm :cool:
It's a good thing they got rid of that inch for your copyright. ;)

Very interested in the feedback on the 6070 as my viewing of the NEC version 6100 was horrid next to a Panny 500U when I viewed them side-by-side. Obvious the 6070 should be a winner as it's alll Pio now and bringing forward 5070 Technology. Anxiously awaiting feedback but all specs outside it not being 1080P are fantastic otherwise and a helluva value from the pre-order quotes I've gotten from Cleveland Plasma. :)

Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's
post #18 of 91 Old 06-13-2006, 03:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by uzombie
If your viewing the 61" that's the two year old panel from NEC Pio uses (6100 model) and don't be insane and consider BB when the brand new 6070 will be half that figure via Forum Sponsor. Not allowed to post though. The 6070 should blow away that 61" for half the price from the right dealer and BB is NOT the right dealer unless you have money to burn and donate to BB shareholders. ;)

Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's
post #19 of 91 Old 06-13-2006, 10:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969
If your viewing the 61" that's the two year old panel from NEC Pio uses (6100 model) and don't be insane and consider BB when the brand new 6070 will be half that figure via Forum Sponsor. Not allowed to post though. The 6070 should blow away that 61" for half the price from the right dealer and BB is NOT the right dealer unless you have money to burn and donate to BB shareholders. ;)
Unfortunately, you have to live within a couple of hundred miles of Cleveland Plasma to get the 6070 there, though that may change by the time it comes out. TVA should also have it.

The question on the 6070 is when will it be available? With school winding down for my kids, DVD-watching season is about to begin. Rolf's post makes me wonder if the 6070 will be out even before the start of NFL season. The Panasonic 58" is expected soon; if it looks good, I may go with it.
post #20 of 91 Old 06-13-2006, 03:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 218
BB has both the 4271 and 5071 in their warehouse now. My local BB had both in the back but would not put them out until they sold the last 3 floor models. Both are on sale. If you want to see the new models, please visit your local BB.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #21 of 91 Old 06-13-2006, 03:36 PM
Advanced Member

Wow, there's some great information on this thread! To reassure you, Koan, We are going to carry the new lines of Pioneer (We are one of the few authorized dealers for Pioneer which can be found on their site (www.pioneerusa.com)..good thing their site came back up..:)) I'm eager to hear what everyone has to say about this model..and see it in person! Maybe I will take the Pioneer plunge..one of these days..

Cheers,
Cambryn

Out with the old in with the new.
post #22 of 91 Old 06-13-2006, 03:39 PM

I am eager as well. And by the way Rolf, thanks for jumping on here! It’s always great to have an actual manufacturer rep make an appearance here on the forum.
post #23 of 91 Old 06-13-2006, 04:22 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
I like most people hope that Pioneer Trainer is the real thing, but here on the internet were anybody can profess to be anybody please be cautious until his claims can be substantiated.

Dave

"Appeasment only makes the Aggressor more Aggressive"
post #24 of 91 Old 06-13-2006, 04:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Dave,
You or anyone can call 1-800-pioneer to find out :)

Forum Sponsor // \\
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1-866-651-0049 // \\

/
/

/

/
post #25 of 91 Old 06-13-2006, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Seems best buy has the 43" and 50" at the same price now (at least one line). I wonder when they'll go on sale in anticipation of these new sets?
post #26 of 91 Old 06-13-2006, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheridave
I like most people hope that Pioneer Trainer is the real thing, but here on the internet were anybody can profess to be anybody please be cautious until his claims can be substantiated.

Dave
I'm all in favor of caution on 'net boards, but to be fair to Rolf, he really didn't make any claims that haven't been substantiated elsewhere. All he did was say that xx70 series displays and the Elites (except the FHD1) aren't native 1080. Amyone who has bothered to read the Pioneer press releases and/or looked at the pdf spec sheets that are available on the web already knew that.

Now, if I was going to pretend I was from Pioneer, I would at least claim to be a Marketing VP. That's the perfect cover - you could sound important and say anything you want, and if anyone else showed proof that conflicted with your story, you could just say "Sorry, they don't always give Marketing all the details", or you could just continue saying the wrong thing, and everyone else would just assume you were a typical clueless Marketing executive... :D

If you think this post was dumb, you really should read my blog=>
post #27 of 91 Old 06-14-2006, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

post #28 of 91 Old 06-14-2006, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

post #29 of 91 Old 06-14-2006, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaliciousBraham
The Elite PDPs are launching in August for the 42"/50" models and September for the 60". The Pioneer-branded 42"/50" models are shipping in July. I believe the 60" Pioneer is shipping in August, but I'll have to double-check on that.
post #30 of 91 Old 06-14-2006, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schteevie
I just bought a 4360 and want to know how future warrently support will work in terms of the '05 screens with media revievers having been discontinued...

I really like the seperate media reciever aspect of the 4360.
In the event that I had an unreparable issue with the screen or reciever, is Pioneer still able to replace these parts, or are we forced to upgrade to a new model screen altogether?

thnx
Great questions. However, since I don't actually sell or deal with support issues, all I can advise you to do if you ever do experience any problems is call the (800) # on your owner's manual.

Folks, as an FYI, as a trainer, I deal with all the specs and feature-sets for the home electronics products. Happily I don't sell them or worry about stock levels or specific service issues which may crop up from time to time. Please contact your reseller first so they can be made aware of any problems which may be addressed under warranty. We aggressively support our dealers, so that we may make sure you are happy.
Closed Thread Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page