AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pioneer 5060 vs Pioneer 5070

4K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  jrstech 
#1 ·
I live in Scandinavia and the 5070 are not released here yet. They are expected to be released in october. I´m looking for a new plasma TV and decided to go for the 5060 but are not sure anymore. Is the 5070 so much better than the 5060 that it`s worth waiting for? Any recommendations?

#2 ·
Hi Honken, The Pioneer 5070HD will have the same picture quality and processing ability but there are a few things that it will change. Most noticeably, the new 70 series will no longer have the separate media receiver or side mounted speakers. Both of these will be built into the panel itself. They also added another crystal emissive layer to increase the contrast. The prices in the U.S. seem to be slightly less expensive on the new series but not sure how it will be reflected in the E.U.

If you plan on wall mounting the new TV I would recommend going with the 60 series. The separate media is ideal for wall mounting because you don't have to run each cable individually. You just run the single Pioneer cable and power cord. The 5060HD is pretty hard to find at most dealers in the U.S. now so you may want to get it before its gone.

On the other hand, if you don't plan on wall mounting the panel and want to save a little money, the 70 series is a good option.

#3 ·
I've seen people posting that the new gen Pioneer's are not very different than the current gen; while this is typically true from one generation to the next, I think this gen is a bigger step than most gens.

The new gen Pioneer's are evidently using new glass: the pixel count on the 5070 now matches the 50" NEC (1365 hozitonal pixels), and the 42" Pioneer is now 42" instead of 43", which again is a harmonization with the NEC 42" product. Also the media receivers have disappeared, which again makes them more like the NEC line.

The reason I mention NEC is that Pioneer bought NEC's plasma division and NEC's glass factory in 2004, and I believe this is the year that Pioneer no longer manufactures plasma glass using their old glass factory (which produced 50" plasmas with a 12xx horizontal pixel count, and 43" models), but rather now the Pioneers are made in the factory they bought from NEC. This makes the panels more NEC-like, at least in terms of glass, such as pixel counts, and 42" form factor, and the crystal emmissive layer, etc.

my conspiracy theory

Meanwhile Pioneer's the PureVision video processing seems to be the same, or slightly improved, so that is a only small change from the current gen.

I think if you look at the new gen Pioneer, you may find it more similar to the current gen NEC than the current gen Pioneer.

#4 ·
Just a heads up I have seen more than one post saying the blacks on the new 5070 are not as good at the 5060 is.

Interesting about the changes and the NEC similarities. I considered the NEC but no one had one I could see though everyone on here loved it.

I could have purchased the NEC for a great deal less than the Pioneer and did not need the media receiver as I have external tuners.

The NEC had more inputs and settings and was rumored to perhaps take a 1080p input and down rez it to 1080i though I don't see that as being much use as the new HD DVD and Bluray players support 1080i.

The theory was a downrezed 1080p to 1080i input might look better, but at this timeline in the technology I highly doubt it, if was not built for that from the start, I don't see the electronics doing a very good job with a 1080p input and downrezzing it to 1080i as that costs money and they generally don't use things that cost more (assuming the parts do indeed cost more) money.

So at the time I bought the trusted name, Pioneer, and I have a 3rd gen Pioneer its a dam good panel too but the blacks were not there.

I would give the NEC a VERY hard look after reading this post instead of that Pioneer.

#5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZtop
Just a heads up I have seen more than one post saying the blacks on the new 5070 are not as good at the 5060 is.
That's the first. I have not seen a single post where anyone could compare 5060 and 5070 side by side to see the black levels. Can you provide some links to these posts?

thanks

#7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam1000
That's the first. I have not seen a single post where anyone could compare 5060 and 5070 side by side to see the black levels. Can you provide some links to these posts?

thanks

No sorry, I read far too many to always be able to remember that at hand and on too many different sites, but for the sake of satisfaction with the purchase I would check it out. If the 5070 has better blacks, I think thats great, always good to hear the technology is improving. :D

#8 ·
The 5070 has now been out on the a market a couple of weeks. Are there any official reviews yet? Any more/other comments about which one is better? I like the media receiver but is the PQ so much better on the 5070 that I should wait for it instead of buying the 5060? Any other pros/cons?

#9 ·
Visited local BB yesterday and spent some time viewing the 5071 and 4361, although not side by side, they were separated by a 50" LG set. The PQ was superb on both sets and found the blacks even deeper on the 5071. I didn't have the remotes so I couldn't make any adjustments but from what I saw I was very impressed with the new gen. I have pre-ordered a 5070 from an AVS sponsor. Can't wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.