Opinions on Pioneer PDP-4360HD? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 24 Old 06-28-2006, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Let me start by saying that this is going to be a bedroom TV, I already have a 53" Pioneer Elite RP CRT for the living room. I can't go any larger than 42-43" in the bedrooom with the space I'm working with. That being said, does anyone have any first hand experience with the PDP-4360HD?

I have already ordered the TV, but I was just wondering about some of the pros and cons I might not have known about. My final decision was this TV or the Panasonic TH-42PX600U. Both TV's look great on paper, and I haven't seen them in person. I have seen the Panasonic TH-42PX60U in person and the Pioneer PDP-4271HD which appears to only be sold through Best Buy. In my eyes, they both looked great with the looping HD feed they had running through all the TV's, but what really stood out to me was the Pioneer's more natural colors and smoother picture. It just appeared to be more realistic and lifelike. Granted, these were probably both out of the box settings since BB isn't going to optimize both displays for the store.

I'm not looking for reassurance since I believe all Pioneer products are certainly higher quality. I'm simply looking for honest opinions on this TV and any feedback you may have, good or bad.

Thanks! :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 06-28-2006, 04:11 PM

I got the 5060HD and it is fabulous. I would prefer the 4360 over the new 4271 because of the flexibility of the media reciever. I want a 4360 for my bedroom but I am stuck with a 32 lcd, the wife says no more for awhile.
post #3 of 24 Old 06-28-2006, 04:17 PM

I've had a 4360 since March and it is a great TV; but I would not recommend it for the bedroom because of the fan noise from the MR in standby mode. Pioneer replaced my fans in April, but within a month I could again hear it at 20 feet. You might get around this by putting the MR in another room and using a remote with an RF relay. I hope you have better luck and would appreciate hearing about your experience when it arrives. I've been told that some MRs are quieter than mine, but have not pressed Pioneer for another replacement since the Technician told me that the original fans were "within spec". If you do a search for "fan noise" under one of the Pioneer threads, you will find complaints going back for years.
post #4 of 24 Old 06-28-2006, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliWu
I've had a 4360 since March and it is a great TV; but I would not recommend it for the bedroom because of the fan noise from the MR in standby mode. Pioneer replaced my fans in April, but within a month I could again hear it at 20 feet. You might get around this by putting the MR in another room and using a remote with an RF relay. I hope you have better luck and would appreciate hearing about your experience when it arrives. I've been told that some MRs are quieter than mine, but have not pressed Pioneer for another replacement since the Technician told me that the original fans were "within spec". If you do a search for "fan noise" under one of the Pioneer threads, you will find complaints going back for years.

Interesting, we'll see what happens when I get it.
post #5 of 24 Old 06-28-2006, 05:50 PM

I also have a 4360, and LOVE the Image quality and look of the TV as far as the nice piano black bezel, and lack of reflections on the actual screen.

I do however agree with the MR fan noise issue; it is silly that the fan is still on in standby mode.

Anyway - you can put the MR in a closet or an other room, because the IR sensor for the remote is actually on the display itself.
post #6 of 24 Old 06-28-2006, 06:29 PM

Is it just the 4360 with the fan noise. I can put my ear up to mine (5060 reciever) and not hear a thing. Mine was manufactured in May 2006. Got it May 26th and have yet to hear even a whisper from it. Got my xbox 360 sitting on top of it. Doesnt even get hot.
post #7 of 24 Old 06-28-2006, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbuckner007
Is it just the 4360 with the fan noise. I can put my ear up to mine (5060 reciever) and not hear a thing. Mine was manufactured in May 2006. Got it May 26th and have yet to hear even a whisper from it. Got my xbox 360 sitting on top of it. Doesnt even get hot.
the MR is exact same for the 4360 and 5060 as far as I know...
So I would love to know why yours doesn't have the fan on in standby.
post #8 of 24 Old 06-28-2006, 08:14 PM

Quote:
I would also like to know how you get the MR fan to shut off in standby. The user manual, specs, and pictures of the MR are the same for the 5060 and 4360 MRs. In theory, the fan could be shut off if you are not using CableCard or TVGOS, but the Pioneer tech that I talked to told me that the only way to shut off the fan was to unplug the MR. Are you using the CableCard and TVGOS?
post #9 of 24 Old 06-28-2006, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter

Are you guys that are hearing the fan using a Cablecard or TVGOS? I don't plan to use either.
post #10 of 24 Old 06-28-2006, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkout
Are you guys that are hearing the fan using a Cablecard or TVGOS? I don't plan to use either.
I am using both CableCard and TVGOS, but the Pioneer tech rep I talked to said that it did not matter. He said that the fan runs even when these functions are not used. This makes no sense to me because there is no need for the processors or fans to run when these functions are not active. I would like to hear from someone who is not using either TVGOS or CableCard to verify that the fan does still run as the Pioneer tech rep said it does.
post #11 of 24 Old 06-28-2006, 11:34 PM

I use both cablecard and the tv guide. I don't hear it when it is on nor do I hear it when it is off. I was told they fixed the loud fan noise in the last shipment.
post #12 of 24 Old 06-29-2006, 09:39 AM

Quote:
I use both cablecard and the tv guide. I don't hear it when it is on nor do I hear it when it is off. I was told they fixed the loud fan noise in the last shipment.
who are "they" that told you that?

I got one of the last ones in May - and it is not quiet.
I would like to call "them" and get something done about it.

thanks
(I am in Toronto by the way)
post #13 of 24 Old 06-29-2006, 10:05 AM

I got the info from the company that sold me the tv. I wish you could listen for yourself and see if you hear something. I cannot hear anything coming out of my receiver I would call and see if Pioneer can do something.
post #14 of 24 Old 07-04-2006, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter

I am not using the cablecard but I am using the TV Guide, I have ZERO noise from my TV or media receiver.

Just thought I would update for those that wanted to know.
post #15 of 24 Old 07-04-2006, 11:38 AM

Thanks for the update Blkout. I'm glad you got a quiet MR with your 4360. I'd be very much interested in knowing if the fan runs in standby when CableCard is not inserted. You can determine this (even with a completely silent fan) by draping your fingers over the rear of the MR, just above the MR cable connector. That's where the fan blows out and you can feel the breeze when the fan is on. This would tell me if I could silence my 4360 by getting rid of CableCard and running the TV off a cable box that is in a nearby room. Thanks in advance for any information you might provide.
post #16 of 24 Old 07-04-2006, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the update Blkout. I'm glad you got a quiet MR with your 4360. I'd be very much interested in knowing if the fan runs in standby when CableCard is not inserted. You can determine this (even with a completely silent fan) by draping your fingers over the rear of the MR, just above the MR cable connector. That's where the fan blows out and you can feel the breeze when the fan is on. This would tell me if I could silence my 4360 by getting rid of CableCard and running the TV off a cable box that is in a nearby room. Thanks in advance for any information you might provide.
It's a good theory that the fan may be quiet when there's no cablecard. I remember reading all the other tv's use up more power while having a cable card inserted. I'd assume that theory is correct also in this case.

ps. do not open the MR, there's a protection mechanism that will disable the whole box.

Plasma/LCD economy: http://www.witsview.com/
post #17 of 24 Old 07-05-2006, 12:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Okay so could someone tell me if there's any improvement in PQ by going with the Pro-930hd instead of this one? or does the elite just add bells and whistles?

If so, how much better truely is it and is it worth the added expense?
post #18 of 24 Old 07-05-2006, 12:24 PM

Liked: 16
Schteevie, good luck getting Pioneer Canada to do anything about the media receiver fan noise. They won't admit that there is a problem and won't do anything about it. They quote the manual and say that some fan noise is normal. They told me to move it to another room(which I did) or buy an enclosed stand to dampen the noise.
post #19 of 24 Old 07-05-2006, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommmyJ
Schteevie, good luck getting Pioneer Canada to do anything about the media receiver fan noise. They won't admit that there is a problem and won't do anything about it. They quote the manual and say that some fan noise is normal. They told me to move it to another room(which I did) or buy an enclosed stand to dampen the noise.
thats too bad.
I still think it is crazy that the fan is on 24/7 when the unit is in standby mode.
I don't use a cable card or the TV guide - I will be using a STB when I get HD cable.
for now I am just using a DVD player for break-in.
I wish I could get the fan to turn OFF when the uit is in Standby...

Regarding the post above about the Elite VS. regular Pio PDP
- I am VERY happy with the image quality of the 4360 (and I am using beak-in settings for now)
- I don't see a need to go to Elite unless you are really hardcore and are the type of person that would get a $500 calibration.
post #20 of 24 Old 07-05-2006, 01:22 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 498
The incessant posts here about Pioneer's MR fan noise and the spotty way in which Pioneer handles customer complaints was one of the reasons i didn't choose a Pioneer. I didn't want to risk it as i'm sensitive to even the smallest noises in my living room. Pity. Such a fantastic TV otherwise.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #21 of 24 Old 07-05-2006, 01:54 PM

The fan must run in standby when CableCard or TVGOS are being used because these functions require the high speed digital processors to run 24/7 and they must be cooled. It is, however, just plain stupid to run them in standby when neither CableCard nor TVGOS are being used. Most of the MR fans are apparently quiet enough not to be a problem, but others (such as mine) are an annoyance. The problem is in the way the fans are mounted to the chassis without sufficient isolation. This causes any vibration from even the slightest imbalance to be transmitted to the case and cause a hum. There was a rumor that Pioneer was working on an improved mounting design for the fan, but I would not bet on it.
Pioneer is not the only manufacturer whose CableCard TV fans run 24/7. The noise and complaint level varies from set to set. Cable DVRs and satellite boxes are often even louder.
post #22 of 24 Old 07-05-2006, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I feel no breeze. Must not be running without a cablecard.
post #23 of 24 Old 07-05-2006, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PathofNeo
Okay so could someone tell me if there's any improvement in PQ by going with the Pro-930hd instead of this one? or does the elite just add bells and whistles?

If so, how much better truely is it and is it worth the added expense?

Elite carries a 2 year warranty instead of 1 year for the standard Pioneer, and the Elite has more picture adjustability options. I can live without the 2 year warranty, but it would have been nice to get the extra picture options.
post #24 of 24 Old 07-07-2006, 12:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Thanks for clearing the pdp vs elite up for me.

The other thing I wanted to know is how come the newer 4370hd is cheaper than the 4360hd? I assume the 4370 is the newest, and it's considerably less at online stores.

Other than the media reciever box and speakers on the side, what is the difference between these 2 models? I believe the 4370 has a higher contrast ratio but I dunno I haven't seen them yet.

ps- followup on my question being answered.. I am not hardcore at all about having a calibration. I just want that vivid "punch" that pio is known for and I'm happy (with good black details.. which I think the higher contrast of newer model may interest me more ?)

thanks for the help
Closed Thread Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page