AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pioneer pdp-5070 vs Elite 1130hd

2K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  Cleveland Plasma 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I am in the market to get one of these sets and was wondering what people think about the two. I think they are relatively close in price. Is there a clear advantage for one of these? I like the fact that the 5070 is brand new but the Elite is definitely highly regarded.

If you had the choice which one would you opt for. Sorry if this has been covered already. :)

#2 ·
The 1130 has had great reviews and is a sure thing sort of purchase.

There isn't a whole lot of solid info about the 5070 to draw much of a conclusion from.

About the only thing on the 1130 I wonder about, and haven't gotten any good answers on, regards the antenna B input. It's only NTSC and, from what I can tell, doesn't work with the CableCard since it isn't a digital tuner. My take is that when analog (NTSC) goes dark in 2009 that B input will become pretty much obsolete and useless, but I'm not 100% sure about that. On the other hand the 5070 has dual digital (ATSC/NTSC) tuners so both antenna inputs will continue to work after 2009.

The 1130 allows more tweaking of the picture settings which is a big plus if you're into that sort of thing. It probably has a better scaler in it, but that's not for sure since the specs on the 5070 are still pretty vague.

And of course the fact that the 5070 has the MR (media receiver) build in whereas the 1130's is a seperate piece. Some people see the seperate MR as an advantage and others don't.

It really depends on your situation whether these are significant issues or not.

#3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by redspectral
Hi all,

I am in the market to get one of these sets and was wondering what people think about the two. I think they are relatively close in price. Is there a clear advantage for one of these? I like the fact that the 5070 is brand new but the Elite is definitely highly regarded.

If you had the choice which one would you opt for. Sorry if this has been covered already. :)
I would take the 1130 in a heart-beat.

1. Better build quality

2. Better aesthetics (IMHO)

3. Better adjustability of picture

#4 ·
I currently have the 1130HD for a couple of months and agree about better build quality, longer warranty (2 vs. 1 year), nicer aesthetics, better adjustability.

However, one thing I didn't think about when I bought the 1130 is that the media receiver's fan is always on even when the tv is off. The fan emits a noticible low level noise. I will eventually move the 1130 into the bedroom and get a larger screen for the living room, and noise of the fan in the MR might be a problem.

If I had a choice between the two, I would go for the 5070 especially if you plan on putting it in a bedroom.

#5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by kosh2258
The 1130 has had great reviews and is a sure thing sort of purchase.

There isn't a whole lot of solid info about the 5070 to draw much of a conclusion from.

About the only thing on the 1130 I wonder about, and haven't gotten any good answers on, regards the antenna B input. It's only NTSC and, from what I can tell, doesn't work with the CableCard since it isn't a digital tuner. My take is that when analog (NTSC) goes dark in 2009 that B input will become pretty much obsolete and useless, but I'm not 100% sure about that. On the other hand the 5070 has dual digital (ATSC/NTSC) tuners so both antenna inputs will continue to work after 2009.

The 1130 allows more tweaking of the picture settings which is a big plus if you're into that sort of thing. It probably has a better scaler in it, but that's not for sure since the specs on the 5070 are still pretty vague.

And of course the fact that the 5070 has the MR (media receiver) build in whereas the 1130's is a seperate piece. Some people see the seperate MR as an advantage and others don't.

It really depends on your situation whether these are significant issues or not.
the antenna B on the xx70/71/72 series is ntsc also, no atsc.

#7 ·
Another option to keep in mind:

Pioneer PDP-505CMX (Click Here)
http://www.pioneerindustrialav.com/ims/product/overview/0,,196140362_285715230,00.html http://www.pioneerindustrialav.com/p...angled_std.jpg

Add the Key Digital Xplorer Card and you will have a Pioner Elite picture quality with alot more inputs. Click Here

http://www.keydigital.com/ProductDetail.aspx?categorycode=100&itemno=HDXplorer&productname= http://www.keydigital.com/images/Vid...lorer_v2_a.jpg

This setup WILL run you less than both , not to mention there is no other panel on the planet with these kinds of inputs:

4 hdmi (supports HDCP)

DVI(supports HDCP)

2-VGA, Component

Composite

S-Video

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.