panasonic TH-42PX60U new review at ******************* - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 07-02-2006, 04:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I used their review last year when I purchased my 50U. I found their settings to be spot-on. They did a review for the 50" too. Post on how you think the settings look on your 60U. Settings are the same for both the 42" and 50".

http://www.*******************.com/p...0u-review.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-02-2006, 06:23 AM

Thanks for the link friend. I just put in the numbers now and found a small but noticeable difference in my eyeball settings I used in cinema mode. It's good to know that my eye is close to the reference standard. ;) So far I'm loving the Panny and over a 100 hours into my breakin. Thanks again.
post #3 of 7 Old 07-03-2006, 05:53 AM - Thread Starter

I wanted to add the review for the 50" too.

http://www.*******************.com/p...0u-review.html :D
post #4 of 7 Old 07-04-2006, 09:59 PM

I have the 50", and after I did the recommended settings, it took a little getting used to. I hadn't used the "warm" setting before, and so a lot of scenes had a yellowish/reddish tint to them. HOWEVER, after I tuned down the color setting from -1 to -7, it made all the difference. All the colors look beautiful and not oversaturated. The sharpness setting of -14 softens faces and reduces blemishes, but I suppose it also reduces artifacts and noise compared to, say, +14.

Overall, I'd say that the review's recommended settings are very pleasing, except for the intensity of the color, which was a little much for me. By toning that down to around -7 from -1 made it perfect to my eyes.

On the Panny tweaks thread, people were joking about these settings being so strong that the life of the set would be reduced. Anyone really believe that, and to what degree would I shorten the screen life with the +22 picture and +8 brightness?
post #5 of 7 Old 07-05-2006, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxpert
I have the 50", and after I did the recommended settings, it took a little getting used to. I hadn't used the "warm" setting before, and so a lot of scenes had a yellowish/reddish tint to them. HOWEVER, after I tuned down the color setting from -1 to -7, it made all the difference. All the colors look beautiful and not oversaturated. The sharpness setting of -14 softens faces and reduces blemishes, but I suppose it also reduces artifacts and noise compared to, say, +14.

Overall, I'd say that the review's recommended settings are very pleasing, except for the intensity of the color, which was a little much for me. By toning that down to around -7 from -1 made it perfect to my eyes.

On the Panny tweaks thread, people were joking about these settings being so strong that the life of the set would be reduced. Anyone really believe that, and to what degree would I shorten the screen life with the +22 picture and +8 brightness?
I wouldn't worry about the picture being at +22. I don't know about the brightness though. After Gregg calibrated my set the Picture was at +20. You will see some more image retention but it will go away. Why buy a set and turn the settings all the way down and not get the true picture that a director of a movie wanted?
post #6 of 7 Old 07-05-2006, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter

Hi, below are the settings I came up with using the AVIA test DVD and the settings I used after the AVIA. I think there are two worlds of settings. One for the mix of SD and HD stations and the other for DVD,up-converting DVD and HD-DVD. I feel the sharpness has to be higher while watching SD stations in order to clean it up a little. To answer your other question. Image retention is AKA burn-in. Something not to be worried about with the Panasonic. I have heard of guys playing video games for hours a day with NO problem.

AVIA ------------ My settings --- *******************

Pic. +12.................. +17........ +22
Bright. +7................ +4 ........ +8
Color -4.................. -1.......... -1
Tint -6.................... -6......... -4
Sharp. +1................ +8......... -14
Black level Light........ Light...... Light
Color Temp Normal..... Normal.... Warm
Everything else off..... Everything else off..... Everything else off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxpert

post #7 of 7 Old 07-05-2006, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Gear
Hi, below are the settings I came up with using the AVIA test DVD and the settings I used after the AVIA. I think there are two worlds of settings. One for the mix of SD and HD stations and the other for DVD,up-converting DVD and HD-DVD. I feel the sharpness has to be higher while watching SD stations in order to clean it up a little. To answer your other question. Image retention is AKA burn-in. Something not to be worried about with the Panasonic. I have heard of guys playing video games for hours a day with NO problem.

AVIA ------------ My settings --- *******************

Pic. +12.................. +17........ +22
Bright. +7................ +4 ........ +8
Color -4.................. -1.......... -1
Tint -6.................... -6......... -4
Sharp. +1................ +8......... -14
Black level Light........ Light...... Light
Color Temp Normal..... Normal.... Warm
Everything else off..... Everything else off..... Everything else off
Image retention is not burn-in. Burn-in is when the image is permanent and image retention is when the image stays on the screen for a short or moderate period of time. I get image retention all the time when playing video games. I have never gotten burn-in.
Closed Thread Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page