AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

No 42/43" plasma with native 1280x720 yet?

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Revolutionary 
#1 ·
I´m almost shure i read somewhere that a 42/43 inch plasma with 1280x720/768 native resolution was planned?

Pioneer or Panny?!

Or did i dream?

Rob

#4 ·
No it doesn't make any sense for any manufacturer to make a 1280 x 720 display. Because then their fancy ASICs wouldn't have any interpolating to do when presented with a 720p source. So instead they prefer to f*** with the pixels and turn them into 1368 x 768 or 1024 x 768 or whatever other stupid resolution they can think of.

I'd say they're all smoking dope, but that's probably more of an American phenomenon. Maybe too many late nights drinking too much sake.

#7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by reincarnate
Avoid ED plasma at all costs.
Not to turn this into an ED vs. HD thread, but blanket statements like that are pure bunk. There are situations when ED sets are every bit as good or even better than their HD brethren.

My buddy who owns a 40" Sony LCD (non-XBR) came over last night and saw my new 42" plasma for the first time. We watched a variety of HD programming from 10-11" feet away (my usual viewing distance) and he was simply floored by the PQ, grudgingly admitting that my set had a better HD picture than his LCD. He simply could not believe it when I told him that it was "just" an ED set (TH-42PWD8UK) that cost about half what his Sony did. :cool: I realize that this was hardly a controlled experiment, but there you have it.

People often think ED is a scam, and that stores are tricking Joe Sixpack into buying an ED set when what he really wanted was an HD set. This may have been true once upon a time, but I believe the reverse is now much more common: the average consumer is being hoodwinked into spending much more for an HD set without any consideration of the all-imortant pixel size vs. viewing distance relationship.

#8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylebisme
More just the fact that 720p sources aren't particularly common and to be useful a display needs to be good with scaling all resolutions anyway.
Fox and ESPN (for football) are 720p. Which is what I care about. :)

But more importantly it is much easier to scale 480 / 720 / 1080 up and down to each other than to throw something like 768 into the equation. For example 1080 = 720 * 1.5. THIS IS NOT A COINCIDENCE.. It makes the scaling easier and better than going between random values.

#10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Gremlin
No it doesn't make any sense for any manufacturer to make a 1280 x 720 display. Because then their fancy ASICs wouldn't have any interpolating to do when presented with a 720p source. So instead they prefer to f*** with the pixels and turn them into 1368 x 768 or 1024 x 768 or whatever other stupid resolution they can think of.

I'd say they're all smoking dope, but that's probably more of an American phenomenon. Maybe too many late nights drinking too much sake.
http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/tacpasse...HLV95_spec.pdf

If this weren't really last year's model, and if the new model wasn't cheaper, I would be tempted to buy it for the 1280x720 resolution alone, just on principle. :)

#12 ·
Samsung's planned HP-S4273 plasma may be 1366x768 (just like every LCD TV in that size range, and just like plasmas 50" and higher--there is virtually no such thing as a true "1280x720" flat panel over 32"). It isn't officially announced yet, but several internet sources show 1366.768 resolution. Several others show 1024x768. But its possible...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.